Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Tiggum posted:

I just saw this on Facebook.

What happened to the other half of this conversation? Did the second person delete their posts or am I just not seeing them for some reason?

One of three things happened:

1. The other person deleted their posts

2. The other person has your profile blocked from seeing that they exist

or, more likely,

3. The other person has their privacy settings set high enough that no one can see what they do unless they're friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm trying to create a facebook page for a local artist. The setup page has a question: "Is _____ a real celebrity or famous person?
This will help people find this celebrity or famous person more easily on Facebook."

Is that asking if the person is a real person, or is it asking if the person is genuinely famous? I was presuming the latter, but now I'm not so sure.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So I've got an antennae to get those digital over the air channels on my HDTV.

What's weird is that I get my standard network channels, but I also get these "sub" channels. So NBC is on channel 17. Normally (back in the days when I was a kid and had antennae TV), I'd expect that to be on channel 17. However, I get that on "17-1." And I also have a 17-2 and 17-3, which are different channels. Why are things arranged like that? Are those just other channels broadcasted by the NBC affiliate?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Car/maybe a physics question. Say you're driving at 60 mph and gradually slow down to 20 mph where you remain for like 1000 feet or something, then you bring it back up to 60 as fast as you can. Will you go from 20-60mph faster than the time it takes to go from 20-60mph from a stop? Or if you go from 0-20 where you stay for a bit and then go to 60? If it's different is it because of the way the engines work or does it have anything to do with momentum or something?

That's way too complex of a question, but let's look into it!

For this problem, I'll assume you're driving a 2014 Honda Civic, because that's the first car I found the stats for.

This car has the following characteristics (converted to SI units):

Acceleration: 0-26.82 meters per second (m/s) in 9.1 seconds
Deceleration: 26.82 - 0 in 35.97 meters

So let's crunch some numbers!

For those first two, I can calculate the rate that the car accelerates. Assuming uniform acceleration (not reality), this car took 9.1 seconds to accelerate to 26.82 meters per second. This means it has an acceleration of 2.95 meters per second per second.

Knowing that it decelerated to stop in 35.97 meters, we can calculate that it can decelerate at a uniform rate of 2.68 meters per second per second.

So, it looks like the car can accelerate faster than it can decelerate.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Babygravy posted:

I own a copy, it's sitting on my bookshelf. Shame the author didn't sign it..

Are there any signed copies of Mein Kampf? I wonder what they'd go for at auction.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Glorgnole posted:

What's the source for the audio in this video in which a guy says "you have come to a world called Gor" followed by a whipcrack? I want to know if it's from a movie or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45lXXiLbTxM

It's not from the movie, but there is literally a movie called "Gor" that's about Gor, so.. yeah.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
There's a Dairy Queen in my city in the old part of town. It has an amazing statistic that is unrivaled by any other fast food place I have ever been to. It has a 100% fry success rate. I'm not kidding. Every single time I have gone to this place, which, a few years ago, was rather frequent because I worked a half mile away, the fries have been perfect. Never soggy, always crispy, always perfectly seasoned. It's uncanny.

What is the best way for me to give them recognition for this?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

razorrozar posted:

2. What is the definition of "dogwhistle racism"? I see it used a lot, and I can't quite figure it out from context.

After (Black) NFL player Richard Sherman made his infamous rant on live television, the word used the next day on television over six hundred times to describe him (meaning not random youtube comments, but actual real life journalists and pundits) was "thug." This references the colloquial definition of a thug as an angry, violent and dangerous Black male from the ghetto. They were essentially referring to him negatively by his Blackness, but not explicitly saying it. There's really no other way it could have been used, because the dictionary definition is "a violent criminal," and that makes no sense. Going off on a rant at another player has nothing to do with being a violent criminal. So, it's clear they were using it to describe him as a ghetto trash Black guy with baggy pants, blaring his rap music, making them lock their doors when he pulls up next to them at a stoplight, "you know the one I'm talking about *wink nudge nudge*". Hence, the dogwhistle. If challenged, they most likely would have claimed, "Oh, no, it had nothing to do with him being Black, I would have said that about anyone!" But this has been shown time and again to not be the case.

the fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 2, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

GentlemanBrofro posted:

I'm not certain if this is a good place to ask this but against my better judgement, I'll shoot away.

I've suddenly become interested in learning about the Battle of Fallujah, does anyone have any good/decent resources to point me in the right direction? Wikipedia is great for understanding the basic premise, but I'm looking for a human approach rather than a factual one. Any links, articles, documentaries, etc. are welcome though.

This isn't in Fallujah, but if you're looking for an authentic Iraq/Afghanistan war doc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrepo_(film)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Am I screwed? All I really wanted was to download copies of my mom's messages. :(

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/voice

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How come when I connect from a new device, Steam tells me that I'm connecting from "SAN JOSE, CA," even though I'm obviously on the East Coast?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Disharmony posted:

This is a reach since no one probably watches Walker: Texas Ranger here but does anyone know what the hell is happening on this clip? (happens around 2:19-2:39)

Walker Texas Ranger episode 159, "The Lynn Sisters."

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

gagelion posted:

How do i politely tell my therapist i dont want to work with them any more? Ive only been to 2 sessions

If you're that afraid of conflict, just don't schedule any new appointments. If she asks, just say your schedule is busy and that you'll call her back when you have more free time. Then don't call her back.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How is Instagram profitable? There are no advertisements and it's free. And it has like a billion users.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

pupdive posted:

Two websites:

Huffington Post, and Cracked often spin my computer up, and load incredibly slowly. (Chrome, OS X, Flashblock installed.) This does not change whether I have AdBlock on or off.

Any ideas?

lots of interstitial ads

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Thanatosian posted:

I'm helping a buddy clean out a bunch of stuff from his parents' place. Some of it is antiques, and I don't want to accidentally throw out some million-dollar piece. Is there a thread I can post pictures in and get this poo poo antiques-road-show'd?

reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

regulargonzalez posted:

4) People are not evacuated for propaganda purposes (Hamas: "Israel just killed 20 innocent people with their missile!")
5) Missile is sent, as Israel said it would be -- blowing up the weapons and any innocents who were not evacuated.

So, if Israel knows this happens, why do they send the missiles knowing that they're likely going to be blowing up innocent civilians? Isn't that generally a horrible thing to do?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Turtlicious posted:

I want to take pictures of my girlfriend's cat with something a little nicer then my camera phone. What's a good recommendation?

how much money are you willing to spend for cat photos

also, you should be able to take fairly decent quality photos with a camera phone these days, especially if you have something new like an iPhone 5 or a galaxy S. The important thing is to make sure you have good lighting. Do it outside with a lot of natural light, or during a sunny day inside. Make sure the light is facing the cat. And turn off the flash.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How can I figure out if my wife can watch Lost on her tablet while at a hotel in Canada? We have Netflix, Amazon on Demand, and Hulu Plus.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

FCKGW posted:

https://www.canistream.it

Lost is available on Hulu Plus only, but I'm not sure how it will jive with a Canadian IP

I know for a fact it's on Netflix so.... ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

packsmack posted:

Where do I put references when applying for a job? I haven't applied to "real" jobs before. Should I put them in my resume? Cover letter? Or just say that they're available upon request somewhere?

If they ask for references, put them in the resume. If they don't, then just don't put them. Don't put "available on request."