Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Delphisage posted:

How do I use big words in my vocabulary without people dogpiling me?

you used the word "shinto" to refer to "the entirety of japanese culture" because you thought it was "an alternate term I could use to spice up my thesaurus" and not, yknow, a religion.

this is a problem that's easily solved by knowing what words mean before you use them.

also why are you being coy about it? there's a post history button under your username that anyone can use!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
To give you a real answer, normally when people make a mistake about language or use a word wrong and someone corrects them, they respond with "oh lmao I guess I didn't know what the word meant, sorry for being dumb and thanks for letting me know!" or something to that effect. It's not unusual or abnormal to mess up a word or a definition.

What is weird is to get defensive about it, accuse people of dogpiling you and then post this incoherent question. All you actually need to do is take a deep breath and not assume that everyone's trying to destroy you.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

abelwingnut posted:

obviously they're sold to the public without requiring a license or anything like that, so i imagine the risk is small/nearly zero, but it's still a bit of a scary proposition? i don't know, these things/power sources/anything involving electricity weird me out.

Slightly more dangerous than a fan on account of the battery, but less dangerous than a space heater or a toaster. Not a risk worth worrying about.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

obi_ant posted:

I picked up a used Zojirushi water boiler for cheap and I'm in the process of cleaning it. There was lot of browning inside of the warmer. I wiped the thing down, performed a citric acid cleaning cycle, wiped it down again and there are still stains on it. I'm going to take apart the lid soon and see if there is anything to clean there. The stains are orange-reddish color like rust, but I believe the interior is plastic? If they used this only for water, can it rust like this? Anyway, I'm in the middle of another citric acid cleaning cycle and wondering if this is something I can still use? Or should I cut my losses and call it a day?

That's iron oxidizing bacteria, it'll make rust deposits on anything if there's iron in the water. I don't think it'll hurt you by itself but it's an indicator of dissolved organic stuff which is usually not great.

e: if it's from someone else's water i wouldn't worry about it

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

obi_ant posted:

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was something to do with the water. But a bit grossed out with how dirty the inside the unit got. It also surprised me that this person didn’t bother to clean it since they’ve gotten it. I’ve cleaned it up by running three cycles with citric acid, taking the lid apart to clean it a bit and scrubbed the inside a bit. It looks a ton better now.

I bet what happened is they unplugged it and let the water sit at room temp for a really long time. That would let those lil buggers propagate, and they're everywhere. I only ever get mineral deposits on mine because it's never not in use.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

credburn posted:

Does the Bible contain the entirety of the Christian religion all ready-to-go? That is to say, if like, every Christian vanished, and I gave a copy of the Holy Bible to a guy and said, "this is the key, go make Christianity happen," could it be enough to conceivably restore Christianity?

I don't think so. For the majority of the history of christianity, nobody was literate except the clergy. There's still a ton of concepts that are either not really in the text at all or require squinting really hard to see it in there. You could recreate some kinda christ worship but it wouldn't resemble the christianity we have today if it's based solely on the bible. You'd be missing the concepts of original sin, the rapture, the trinity, christmas, the antichrist, disembodied souls floating around in heaven, most common descriptions of angels or satan, most of the victorian stuff about masturbation or sex, etc etc etc. It wouldn't be anything we would recognize, I don't think. Heck, it might even advocate for slavery, it depends what people decide to keep or reject.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 5, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Manager Hoyden posted:

What kind of tape would someone use to hang thicker plastic sheeting outdoors for a few days without leaving gunk on the applied surface? This is to temporarily enclose an outdoor area.

Gaffer's tape, a lot of it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

butt dickus posted:

is the trisodium phosphate in my store brand cheerios ingredients list the same as what's in the box of trisodium phosphate cleaner i got at the hardware store?

yep! it's just a strong, nontoxic base.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Leave posted:

If there's no calories in diet soda, how is it still bad for you?

There's no significant evidence that it is.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Faucet Drinker posted:

I want to clarify I'm not particularly suggesting cancer connection with my above posts, my concern from recent studies is the potential of collapsing your gut biome can deregulate mental health. Fighting obesity would be hard enough without being horribly depressed because you were under the impression you were being proactive using sweeteners.

there is absolutely not enough research to even come close to any of the conclusions you're making in your posts. aspartame will not give you depression by "collapsing your gut biome"

e: are you talking about the WHO classifying aspartame as "possibly carcinogenic"? it's in a lower category than red meat. the smartphone you're reading this on is in the same risk category. so are pickles.

Miles Blundell posted:

You'll see plenty of people who've been chugging two liters of diet coke a day for the last thirty years and while they're all morbidly obese they're certainly not dropping dead from anything other than that in large numbers.

diet soda drinkers skew obese because amazingly, people use it to diet.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 16, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DildenAnders posted:

There's nothing conclusive so far, in large part because the microbiome is an incredibly complex and dynamic group. That being said, it's probably safe to say artificial sugars are not the best thing for a healthy and diverse microbiome, and diet soda is not a healthy thing to drink. On the other hand, regular soda/sugary drinks are super bad for you, and people drink those all the time and are fine, so a bit of moderation and you should be fine.

There is no evidence that diet soda disrupts your gut microbiome, and even if there was, we don't understand enough about the gut to say if it would be a benefit or a detriment.

e: vv it's been answered, they won't.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 16, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Boba Pearl posted:

Ah poo poo you're right I didn't think about compression, I think I might just fish an extension cord through the wall lmao. Gonna make Grover room. Unless, can you run a USB Dock through a moca adapter??

sort of yes but it's not worth it and you still need to deal with your displays. a pair of 1440p displays, especially at high refresh, is not going to work well via anything but hdmi 2.1 or displayport. i would just run cables.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ultrafilter posted:

Probiotics have to be handled very carefully to avoid killing the organisms that live in them. If your sauerkraut has ever spent time unrefrigerated, it's just regular food.

Earwicker posted:

yes, when you are first fermenting it. but you need to refrigerate it once you open the jar and start eating it. otherwise different bacteria will get in there and gently caress it all up.

that's not how lactofermentation works. the whole point of it is to preserve food before refrigeration existed lmao. lactobacillus creates an environment that's hostile to pretty much anything that isn't lactobacillus, which is why lactofermentation works at all. as long as it's not like, directly being warmed by the sun then opportunistic yeasts and such shouldn't be able to get much foothold. sauerkraut will not "die" at room temperature, it'll thrive. if it needed refrigeration it would not have been a very good technology.

e: also iirc probiotic pills that have enteric coatings have shown that they do affect gut flora for as long as you take them, but it's unlikely that the bugs in fermented food would live long enough to take up residence.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 31, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ras Het posted:

I think you're both sort of right, in that 1) kraut isn't meant to be either made or stored at modern room temperature but at something like 15c, at room temperature the bacterial process is different and you end up with a very sour batch, which is still fine and safe but a pretty different taste 2) submerged kraut should still be perfectly safe at room temperature, but exposing parts to air will definitely cause mold and other problems

yeah, i didn't mean to sound like i'm saying just leave yer kraut lying around in big open containers like a slob.

Earwicker posted:

well maybe it just doesn't taste/smell right when it's "thriving" with too much lactobacillus then, because sauerkraut absolutely can get really nasty really fast when its kept out, i have smellt it myself!

well yes, active kraut culture smells like hell farts 24/7. that's another good reason to keep it in the fridge but that doesn't mean it's bad to eat, amazingly enough.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 31, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Silver Falcon posted:

Neither of us drink. My husband is on medications that interact badly with alcohol and I just plain don't like the stuff. So it will not get consumed. What do I do with it? Is vodka even good for anything besides mixing into things? Can you even cook with it?

Sure you can cook with it. It makes a great tomato sauce and brings out herbs in sauces, alcohol dissolves different flavor compounds than water and is more volatile, so it highlights different flavors in food. It also can add liquid without forming gluten in doughs, so it's good for pie crusts, cakes and pastries.

Or use it as a mild cleaner for electronics and whatnot, or to make flavor extracts like cinnamon or vanilla. I'm sure there are a ton of other things to do with it besides drink it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I AM GRANDO posted:

I did an image search to find that one, which is in a kitchen rather than a bathroom, but the shape is identical. I could imagine that the full loop means that some water would have to build up to force its way through a full loop, and that if the sink were draining slowly because of buildup, I’d never get to a moment where the sink empties completely and drains quickly for a moment. Should I just see if like liquid plumr or drano will make a difference, or is it all down to the weird trap?

That's a P trap, it's pretty normal stuff. I am not a plumber but I'd imagine it's not supposed to do that. You could replace it yourself for like $20 at a home store, it is not a gigantic project and they sell kits. You could get a plumber to take a look and figure out what's wrong with the geometry that's causing that, but that would probably cost more than just buying a new trap.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Qubee posted:

Some manufacturers aren't open about what goes into their product, so you're potentially ingesting mystery chemicals and given the track record of companies to have next to zero care for consumers, I opted out.

Okay but why are you cool with the detergent then? What's special about rinse aid in this situation?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

alnilam posted:

The rinse aid is dispensed during rinsing and left on at the end, intentionally so it can do its thing, whereas the detergent gets rinsed off.

??? it's a rinse aid. it's made of surfactants. the point is to make it less likely to leave residue, not more.

e: like, if you're concerned about the environmental impact of the runoff then sure i guess but i can't figure out why else you'd worry about it

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 6, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

alnilam posted:

As for what someone might be concerned about : since they're not very forthcoming about what's in them, i wouldn't blame someone for wondering if there's e.g. PTFE in there, something known to make water bead off really well and used in cookware. There's not PTFE in there, but it wouldn't be totally crazy to wonder if there is especially when they don't say what's in there. AFAIK they are mostly ethanol and citric acid - both fine - but apparently they can contain acrylates, whose duration on the dish surface is maybe less obvious and the fact that it is dispensed with the rinse water makes it more concerning than if the same stuff were in the detergent.

I don't think "what if there was ptfe in there? there isnt, but what if?" is a concern worth having. I think this would be worth taking seriously if there was any available evidence of any harmful chemicals left over from dishwasher rinse aids. Do you have any?

Which acrylates are you concerned about specifically? What's the concentration left over after the cycle?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

alnilam posted:

Anyway here is a study from 2022 showing that yes, rinse aids can leave potentially harmful residues both in controlled lab setting and in an actual dishwasher (bolding mine)
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2022.10.020

No, it does not show that. That study, in a nutshell, exposed commercially available cell cultures in vitro to rinse aid in a variety of concentrations that should be present in a running dishwasher. nowhere in the study does it say anything about whether rinse aid remains in the dishwasher after the cycle or how much if it does. It doesn't say anything about what happens to the body if you consume it, it doesn't say anything about whether it's present on dishes or in food. It says that rinse aid is bad for epithelial cells on a glass slide. Which, personally, doesn't surprise me.

I'm sorry to keep this dumb derail going but bad science literacy and fear of environmental toxins is exactly what leads to poo poo like vaccine skepticism and i hate to see it.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 6, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

alnilam posted:

They did exactly that lol

Thanks for the lecture on bad science literacy though

Ah, excuse me, that's my bad then. So given that the residue seems to be cytotoxic to intestinal epithelial cells in vitro, how worried do you think you should be and why?

Do you think the residue would have the same effect on cells in vivo once it gets all the way down there through the digestive tract?

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 6, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

alnilam posted:

Rinse aid makes your dishes prettier, so the benefit is minimal, and the risk is probably minimal too, but not very well known. I was honestly surprised to find any real studies about it like I did, and it's very new, and while it shows a potential mechanism for harm, and evidence of residue after use in a real dishwasher, it does not show evidence of harm or any knowledge of ingestion into the body. Most likely it is fine... knowing for sure would probably take substantial public health studies that will probably never occur. I would not blame someone one bit for saying "meh plenty of other things that will kill me, I'll keep using that garbage." Hell if I lived in a place with hard water I'd still consider using it even after reading this. But you don't gotta be a smarter-than-thou jerk to someone who decides to opt out of a household chemical whose utility is completely superficial.

Cool, we're ultimately on the same page then. I don't use or care about rinse aids, I care about the alternative health industry that tries to claim that literally everything causes "leaky gut syndrome" so they can sell you an all-natural cure. It's important to be skeptical of that stuff and try and find the medical consensus rather than an outlier that proves your case.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Earwicker posted:

i would maybe wait to start the accusatory tone until someone is actually trying to sell you something. someone saying "there might be bad poo poo in a product" is not doing that.

I'm not accusing any poster here of doing anything like that, sorry if it came off that way. And also, if you google "rinse aid ingredients" there are a shitload of grocery store brands that list every ingredient on their website if not the bottle, so I'm unclear on this whole "we need better labeling" thing. Maybe it's different outside the US.

e: vvv yeah that's too sparse for sure, i agree.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 6, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

erosion posted:

I am going to be working on arcade machines, including repairing CRTs. Does anyone know of a crash course on this stuff? TIA

Look up how to safely discharge the capacitors before you even go near it. CRTs store more than enough juice to kill the gently caress out of you if you're not careful. It's not hard to do but it's nerve wracking until you get a handle on it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Earwicker posted:

hmm maybe. its on the ceiling above my balcony outside. i could reach it but just barely, but pressing a glass up against the ceiling and doing the postcard maneuver seems a bit hard, the ceiling isn't a smooth surface its stucco

in this case the correct maneuver is to try and coax it off the ceiling with a broom until it lands in your hair and you run around screaming

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Qubee posted:

I might be going to the US for a short business trip. Whilst there, I was planning on getting some computer hardware (GPU, PSU, maybe a VR headset). I live in a tax-free country. Would I be able to refund the tax at the airport as I'm leaving the US, or does it not work like that?

Not if you physically buy it in the US, the sales tax applies at point of sale and you're in the country. If you get it shipped you can avoid sales tax but obviously the shipping will be more expensive anyway. Not all US states have sales tax though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Taima posted:

Random question but sometimes when you have juice in the fridge, if you let it sit, it'll get like, I guess in the beginning stages of fermentation and start producing gas (container puffing up a bit) and the taste changes a little.

Is that ok to drink? I don't mind that taste at all, sometimes I even like it, so it's no bother to me, but I also don't get if its harmful.

It's just yeast eating sugar and farting co2, you'll be fine. All fruit juice has some amount of alcohol and vinegar because yeast and acetobacter is literally everywhere. If it still tastes good you're fine, just be more careful with low acid vegetable juices because in theory they could harbor botulin if left long enough.

also, you literally can't go blind from a simple fermentation, you have to distill it and drink the first runnings (lol don't fuckin do that) to get enough methanol to really hurt you.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 19, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
instead of freaking out about 2 cockroach sightings in 4 months, you could not do that. you could forget about the roaches and do something else.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

alexandriao posted:

Does anyone remember about this one synth company in like the 70s and 80s. Where they discovered one of the chips in their discard pile sounded SUPER good, so they went through their like entire inventory discard pile and marketed it separately, but there wasnt enough computing power at the time to like reverse engineer why it sounded good and independently produce it.
i think it was a famous synth too?

this tickles something in my brain but I can't find anything with cursory googling. are you thinking of the SID chip that shipped with commodore systems? that thing sounded better than it had any right to, and it was largely due to what were technically bugs in the design. The ESQ-1 was kind of the synth version of that and it loving owned.

e: there was the SIDstation too but that was much later

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 24, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Badger of Basra posted:

What’s the most complex life form you can freeze long term and then thaw and it’ll keep living using current technology

An early microwave oven model was invented as a byproduct of trying to revive frozen hamsters, and it worked. The issue isn't so much complexity as it is size, you can't really freeze or thaw something much larger than a hamster fast enough for it to work.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Can bleu cheese fungus be grown (safely) on other foods? Does anyone do that?

sure, people make vegan blue cheese out of cashews. penicillium roqueforti has industrial use too i think.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ham Equity posted:

The two speakers are plugged into my PC via an 1/8"/headphone jack to two 1/4" jacks. The speakers seem to have a problem with my widescreen monitor; they have a bunch of static, and when I do things on the widescreen monitor (play video, play a game, scroll the bar on a webpage, etc.) I can here the static changing/getting worse/better. Shutting off or unplugging that monitor makes the static go away. I've run into the same issue with the speakers plugged into the same power strip as the monitor and a different power strip from the monitor, with three different DisplayPort outputs, and with both the headphone jack on the back and the front of my PC case; what the gently caress is going on here? I do not have the same problem with my USB headset.

Your video card produces a giant amount of EMF, and it shares a ground with the sound card on your motherboard. I have the same problem. You can solve it with a simple USB dongle dac like the cheapo Apple USB-C one. Grab an adapter if you don't have a C port, it's really a usb2 device anyway.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
quote isn't edit

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Atahualpa posted:

lmao, is this true? There was a puzzle involving this in Day of the Tentacle, never realized that it was based on anything more than cartoon physics.

read it and weep (for the hamsters)
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.1956.0054

tom scott did an interview with the study author recently, he seems lovely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tdiKTSdE9Y

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Top G posted:

My dog gets a stuffy nose sometimes (deviated septum) and I’ve been running a hot shower while feeding her in the bathroom as the steam really helps her congestion. Of course, this is rather wasteful so I was wondering if there was a smaller, purpose built machine that could generate steam for her.

Is this a thing? My searches only turned up massive rigs for steam rooms, stuff like that. any assistance is appreciated :cheers:

You want a nebulizer for pets. I have no idea how you get them to sit still and breathe through the little mask, but they exist.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Grassy Knowles posted:

Mass produced perfumes and colognes are full of weird junk because there is no regulation on what can be inside of them. And everything about them is s a total scam. More expensive is almost certainly as-bad-if-not-worse in terms of impact on you biologically.

what on earth are you talking about? the article you linked has absolutely nothing to do with whatever you just said, and the FDA absolutely does regulate cosmetic fragrances.

expensive perfumes do actually tend to use different and more expensive ingredients in the case of actual perfume houses (not fashion brands). copycats use much less expensive ingredients to get almost but not quite to the scent of the original. it's not really more complicated than that. there's still a market for the original because I don't think I've ever smelled a copycat that isn't substantially different in some way.

green irish tweed by creed is an interesting example because it's been ripped off so many times that if you smell the original it's instantly recognizable as soap, but there's a bunch more to the creed version that gets lost in translation.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Grassy Knowles posted:

The FDA has a very soft touch and the ingredients that can be withheld as trade secrets are scoped widely, my post was more than a summary of the article.

Withheld from the public in the ingredients list, not from the FDA for safety.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tiggum posted:

]

There's nothing sitting on top of it so the lid's not being compressed. It hasn't been taken out of the fridge since it was put in there. What's going on?

it's fermenting, as you can see by all the bubbles in there. sometimes people make hummus with live vinegar or miso and that'll happen. if it smells and tastes fine, it's fine, but maybe put it in a larger container.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BonHair posted:

I can whistle while engaging my vocal cords. This is fun, and you should try it. However, I am unsure if my talents are limited or the world is against me. Physiologically and physically, is it possible for me to harmonize with myself this way?

it's incredibly difficult to control both pitches at once, i've never heard anyone do it. you can harmonize with yourself via overtone singing but only certain harmonics, or you can do whatever the gently caress crazy poo poo lala hathaway does, i don't even know what's happening there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Killingyouguy! posted:

since celiac is a problem with your dna not creating a certain protein correctly, is it possible to have just a mild case of celiac or is it an all-or-nothing thing

no. some people have worse symptoms than others but if a gut biopsy confirms you have celiac, you have celiac and gluten will damage your intestine, no amount is safe.