Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't, and I heard glass drilling requires diamond tipped drills and such. Is this something I can do with a hand drill/diamond tip bit?
edit: for less than it would cost to buy a drill/bit/equipment to keep it stable during drilling.

Drilling glass causes uneven heating which will cause the glass to fracture. Also, you really don't want to breathe in glass dust. One easy solution is to get some modeling clay or silly putty and make a donut shaped ring around the place you plan to drill, then fill the center of the donut with water. The water will capture all the dust and keep the glass cool.

An easier solution is to take the bottle to NAPA or some other machine shop with a water cooled drill and offer them $5 to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

A good friend of mine who lives halfway across the US is looking to get a violin for her 8 year old son who is interested in learning. She's broke as hell and feels bad that she can't buy one for him. I was thinking it would be a nice Christmas surprise to order one from Amazon or Musicians Friend and have it delivered to her house in time for Christmas. The problem is, I don't know poo poo about violins or bows. As a guitarist, I know that the worst thing to do is buy the kid a beginner instrument that is such a pile of poo poo that even an experienced musician would find it to be damned near unplayable - so that rules out $30 Wal Mart violins.

Can anybody recommend me a workable starter violin in the $100-300 range?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

RaoulDuke12 posted:

You'll have to have him measured, depending on his size he'll need anything from a 1/4-3/4, or if he's huge, even a full size violin.

Of course, this creates the whole problem of what to get him when he outgrows his size.

Is it some cardinal sin go get a kid a full sized violin and letting him grow into it? He's an average sized 8 year old, not a stumpy fingered little midget or anything.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Also, not to be the equivalent of the biking snobs, but there's really not any difference in quality for violins under $400 or so. They all kind of suck. Your best bet is to find a used one that's kind of beat up for a good price. If you look hard enough, you could probably find a decent used one for more like the $300 range, but don't expect a Stradivarius or anything.

Going from my experience, I know there is a world of difference between an $80 Rogue acoustic guitar and a $250 Washburn. The rogue would be an unplayable exercise in frustration for a beginner. I was hoping someone could direct me along the lines of "[x manufacturer] makes decent beginner violins in that price range, but stay away from [y manufacturer] because they use plastic tuning heads and have problems with the heel joint cracking".

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Can you afford to maybe pay for a rental contract through a local store there? Most music shops rent violins for band programs at various schools, that way if he's not to a full size yet, you can rent one (I think 1/2s were going for about $15-25 a month last time I worked at one), and upsize as needed, or return it when he inevitably loses interest.

A rental wouldn't normally be a bad idea, but she is in the military. She is probably not going anywhere for another 18 months, but you never know. It would just be much more convenient to shell out 200-300 and get her kid a violin he can keep and not have to worry about what happens if mom gets deployed and he has to go live with his grandmother or whatever. I'd also like this to be a surprise Christmas present.

As for losing interest, yes, you are probably right. In that case, I'll just take the damned thing back and learn to play it myself or find someone who will trade it for a mandolin.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Loopyface posted:

It'd be too big?

Little kids learn how to play full sized guitars and full sized pianos. I was wondering if there was something specific to violins that would make an oversized instrument impossible to learn on.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Hope that answers all your questions. Again, I would have your friend measure her son's wingspan and tell us what it is, then I can tell you how bad buying a full size for him would be.

Yup, that was very informative. Thank you very much!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Travakian posted:

Realizing this is a strange request, can anyone tell me what the text reads at the extreme left and sides of this digital alarm clock?

Left I can make out an 'M' to the left of 'PM' -- on the right, looks like 'NA // 2 // 2 // M'

So. Anyone exceedingly familiar with alarm clock display text?

Thanks!

Edit: Found it!

It is an RCA RP3720 Clock Radio. From this link, go down to Product Details and there is a link to download a PDF user manual that shows all the icons on the display.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RP3720-Clock-Extra-Large-Display/dp/B000277S6A

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 9, 2010

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Here's a screenshot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Travakian posted:

You're a little bit fantastic. Thanks!

Is this for some ARG or web puzzle or something? I was thinking that if it was your own alarm clock, you could probably tell by looking at it closely and if you were going to post a picture online, you'd have to be intentionally trying to make it difficult by setting the time to 11:11.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

BonHair posted:

When I worked as a postman, getting Christmas presents from customers was one of the most awesome things.

Being in Minnesota, I was thinking of getting my postal carriers a box of those chemically activated hand/foot warmers. Would this seem like a good gift, or do they usually already have stuff like that provided to them from the post office?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

My dad and I got to talking about the "what ifs", and plan on giving each other joint access to each others bank accounts in case one of us kicks the bucket. Could being named a joint account holder be considered income, or be taxable?

I'm just wondering if we could be screwing ourselves with the IRS or some other arm of government by allowing each other joint access.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

A question about 9-ball in general and Earl Strickland in particular.

During the 2007 Mosconi Cup, Earl got real pissed off at his opponent, Daryl Peach.

"Strickland, who had been talking constantly throughout the match, called Peach 'a cheat' after he believed the Englishman had sharked him, although referee Michaela Tabb later confirmed that it had actually been someone behind Peach and not the player himself."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXFLJHXBXNs

Strickland won that game. After making the winning shot, Strickland immediately started bitching about something he believes Peach did. Here is what I can gather from the video:

6:58 - Strickland to Peach - inaudible
7:01 - Peach to Strickland - inaudible
7:04 - Referee to Strickland - You need to settle down, allright?
7:06 - Strickland to Referee - He ??????? when I shot the ball!

The ref says it wasn't Peach, but one of the spectators who did ??????.

I've watched the last three shots of Strickland's run and didn't hear anything unusual from the crowd while he was shooting, so it must have been something he saw that got him riled up. The question is, what was it?

edit: It might help if I included a link to the video.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 25, 2011

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is there a way to find out if I have forgotten to file taxes any year over the past 20 years or so? (in the US)

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I have an autoit script that uses an identical block of functions many times. If I want to change a variable in this block, I have to change it for every occurrence of that block. Is it possible to somehow write that block once, name it something like "FUNCTION BLOCK", then when I want to use it in the script, use something like DO "FUNCTION BLOCK"?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Am I misunderstanding you or are you just asking if you can create your own function in autoit?

Creating my own function is exactly what I wanted to do - I just didn't realize that's what it was. I was thinking along the lines of a CALL command in a BAT file or something and didn't know you could create your own functions. I'm really terrible at coding. Your reply got me on the right track and now my script is doing what I want it to. Thanks!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In the 2010/2011 NFC wildcard game between the Saints and Seahawks, why were they playing in Seattle? The Saints had a better record and they beat the Seahawks in regular season, so why didn't the Saints get home field advantage?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

While we're talking about vaginas...

My girlfriend is a medical transcriptionist and her whole group of MTs is having trouble deciphering something the doctors say. She says it is something to control bleeding during OB/GYN surgery, sounds like "Iowa Solution", and ONLY comes up in OB/GYN reports. Based on the context, she believes it is a trade name.

Any idea what "Iowa Solution" might be? Maybe "Iwasu Lotion"?

I checked the Goon Doctor forum and didn't see a "stupid small question" thread or threads dedicated to OB/GYN or MT. If there is a thread in there where I should be asking, please point me in the right direction.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

I have been working midnight to 8am, Tuesday through Saturday (daywalkers usually consider it "Monday night to Friday night") for about five months now. Here are the biggest things I've noticed:

I worked monthly rotating shifts (the worst) for 6 years in the US Army and have been on straight 3rd shift since then working 10:30-7AM for just shy of 10 years now. Funny you use the term "daywalkers". I use that term, too, and people that have never worked third shift don't have a loving clue.

Jonny 290 posted:

Get your bedroom blacked out. Blackout shades are insufficient in my experience. We had to go to painted 1/4" sheets of plywood. They make nice picture frame mounting locations.

I'd agree with this for the most part. I use blackout shades, but instead of plywood, I just cut large sheets of cardboard to fit snugly inside the window pane. It makes it a lot easier to pull them out when you want to open the windows and air out the room. Somebody earlier in the thread suggested aluminum foil on the windows. I'm assuming they have never actually tried that because I have. Unless you are sleeping on the moon, there will be some air movement in your house and that causes that foil to move and a cacophony of "tink tink tink tink tink tink tink". Forget that idea.

Jonny 290 posted:

Related: your bedroom is now for sleeping and loving, it is not for hanging out, watching TV or eating. Associate bedroom with sleepy time and it'll be easier to crash.

Agreed 100%! If your computer or playstation is in your room, you aren't going to be sleeping worth a poo poo because your mind will be wired to think you should be doing something other than sleeping during the day. I've gotten into a routine where I make my "lunch", then pop on a movie and lay in bed watching the movie while I eat (because I am a filthy bachelor). I'm out like a light 5 minutes after the meal is finished. That's my routine. The biggest problem I have is staying asleep.

Jonny 290 posted:

I am an evening sleeper, I usually end up falling asleep around 4-5PM, sleeping until about 11pm. I have a 30 minute commute, give or take. Maintain your schedule through the weekend. Yes, at first it is very boring to sit through a potentially solitude-filled Saturday night. It is FAR WORSE to not be able to get a full dose of sleep coming off the weekend back into the week.

I'm also an evening sleeper. Not so much that I prefer to sleep in the evenings, but more that I like to keep a "normal" schedule of sleep>work>free time. Most everybody else I know that works overnights goes to sleep right after work, but that doesn't work for me. I like to wake up, hit the shower, go to work, and have a relaxing evening (from 8am-1pm or so).

Maintaining your schedule on the weekend is very good advice from a healthy point of view, but next to impossible on a social point of view. I visit my Dad every Saturday afternoon (the middle of the night for me), and then my girlfriend stays over every Saturday night, so I stay awake to spend time with her. I work Sun-Thurs nights, so I wake up around 9pm on Friday night (my usual time) and try to get back to sleep around 6am Saturday morning so I can stay awake through the day on Saturday, but 6am is the middle of the day for me, so it always ends up as a 2-3 hour nap at best. By 8pm Saturday evening, it is 7 hours past my bedtime and I am wiped out. For a daywalker, this is like going to sleep for the day at 7am. I get about 2-3 hours of sleep at best and wake up around 11pm and am up for the night. Now it is Sunday morning and I have to stay awake until 1pm or so to get back on schedule and, even if I do sleep 6-7 hours, I am barely conscious on my first night back to work. It is interesting to me how daywalkers look forward to the weekends to get some sleep, but it is the opposite for many 3rd shift workers.

Jonny 290 posted:

Were I doing your schedule, I'd work towards morning sleeps, probably 7-1 or 7-2. On class days you may need to catch a cat nap between class and work. There is no shame in this. Set your alarm, though.

Morning sleeps have never worked for me, but they work well enough for most of the people I work with. That afternoon class is going to be an rear end kicker no matter what type of sleep schedule you choose. Set your alarm, and set another one. After enough time on third shift, you lose the ability to judge whether you are going to sleep for 1 hour or 6 because you are tired all the time. Time of day loses all meaning because you eventually lose any reference of when it is "normal" to sleep. You just sleep here and there, but mostly lie awake in bed trying to sleep and sit at work wishing that you could be in bed sleeping.

Jonny 290 posted:

Best upshots of graveyard: Shift diffs, 10am steak dinners and 10:30am after dinner drinks. I would be hard pressed to leave this shift right now.

Shift differential is certainly nice. As is not having anybody around to bug you or look over your shoulder. For me, I just do my job and go home and don't deal with any phone calls or meetings or all the other interruptions that are the norm on day shift. I think the nice things are being able to go shopping after work with empty stores and no lines, not having to plan around your work schedule to do things like go to the bank or get your license renewed, and being home all day, every day, to be there when packages show up.

As much as I made it out to be that third shift is terrible, I've had several opportunities over the years to go to day shift and have turned them all down - and the extra pay was never a factor in my decision. Third shift fucks your sleep schedule up, but you get used to being tired all the time. It also fucks up your social life, but I'm at the rear end end of my 30s and no longer interested in hitting the town on the weekends. With that in mind, it's still better than day shift as long as you can deal with barking dogs, neighbors mowing their lawns, garbage trucks, roofing crews, and all that poo poo making noise in the middle of your night while you are trying to sleep.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Zodijackylite posted:

I found a skull while hiking today and I'm not sure what type of animal it was.

I'd put money on that being a raccoon skull.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

At work, we are currently using paper log sheets to log the jobs we run on our machines. We log the date, purchase order #, customer, customer ID, description, quantity, cost, and operator initials. For example, if we made 1000 blue gizmos for Spacely Sprokets, it would be recorded as:

Jan16 , 101138, Spacely, 12300, B Giz, 1000, $429.50, GJ

At the end of the month, we give all the log sheets to a guy in a cubicle and he compiles that into an excel spreadsheet showing how many items each customer purchased and the total cost.

My boss decided it would be better if we did away with the paper sheets and logged the jobs electronically. He came up to me and said, "You are good with Excel, can you..." and you know the rest. I am good enough with Excel to know that it is not the right tool for the job, but I don't know which program to use. I imagine that this type of order tracking is used by hundreds of thousands of companies and there is software already specifically designed for entering and tracking stuff like this. I just don't know what that software is. We have MS Access installed, but I have no idea how to use it. From what little I understand about it, it seems that it will work. If that would be the right tool for the job, I'll get a user manual and go through tutorials and do what I need to do to learn how to use it, but I don't want to go through all that until I am confident that it will be A) Quick and easy for machine operators (who barely know how to use a computer) to enter data into, and B) Can give reports that breakdown monthly totals showing how many pieces were made for each company, by which operator, and how much we charged for the pieces.

There are a couple other things I would like to know if it can do. About 80% of the work we do is repeat jobs. There are hundreds of these repeat jobs, so putting them all into one drop down list would be unwieldy. I'd like to have two drop down boxes. The first would be the customer, and the second would be a dynamic product list based on the customer. A good example would be when searching for cars or car parts, you enter the manufacturer in one box, and then the second dropdown is populated only with models from that manufacturer.

The other 20% of the work we do is one-off jobs, so those would be entered manually. I'd like to have the option to either choose from a drop down list or enter manual data.

This is a small detail, but would help effiency - Is Access capable of retaining the same date and operator initials from entry to entry until they are manually changed? Like after I do a job, I would fill in the fields and hit enter or whatever to log it in the database, then I would like it to clear all the fields except for the date and operator initials so I would only have to enter that once per shift instead of every single time I run a job.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

That's pretty much exactly what Access is intended/used for.

That's good to hear because getting new software, or even getting software that my company already has licenses for installed on my computer would be like pulling teeth.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

In very short you would create a few tables, one for cars, cars, orders, operators, etc (parts would have a "key" linking it to the cars table so you can easily see parts for that car or visa versa ), then you would create forms to enter data into those tables (and create a simple user interface for entering data) that would do the things like populating drop downs and setting default fields. The you create queries to pull the data from the orders table.

Is it possible to have multiple keys linked to one object? Like if I selected "Spacely Sprockets" from the customer drop down, could it populate a second drop down list with the parts we make for them, and also populate another field with their Customer ID number?

Would I be limited to only using data from the customer table to populate the customer field or can I manually type in a customer name for the one-off jobs? I started to create a form in Excel and ran into the problem with drop downs where I could only select something from the drop down list to fill a cell. If I tried to manually enter something into the cell, it would return an error.

This is kind of critical. In an average day, we'll do 50 jobs on one machine. 40 of those jobs are repeat jobs that we do on a daily/weekly basis and the only thing that changes are the quantities we produce so drop downs would work great. The other 10 jobs are walk in jobs that we do once and never do again. I don't want those cluttering up drop down lists. All I want from them is to show up under the category of "other" on the end of the month report and then never see them again. I'm not asking you how to do such a thing, as that is something I am going to have to learn on my own - I'm just asking if it can be done.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

"Northwind" is a sample database that comes with all versions of access that a lot of online tutorials and information is based on.

Thanks! That is the type of direction really helps me out. I was looking over available templates to pick apart so I could learn how they worked, but didn't really know which ones would be most similar to what I am trying to do.

We are currently using MS Office 2003 but I believe we are upgrading to Office 2010 sometime in the next few months or so. Do you think it would be wiser/easier to wait until the upgrade to start creating this database or will I be okay with 2003?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Cowboy Mark posted:

It's worth noting that you don't need to pay up for a copy of Access for each computer - only the one on which you design the database. Other PCs can have Access Runtime installed (free download from Microsoft), which allows them to add and modify data using the created forms.

The company I work for is huge, so they just get what I believe is called an "enterprise" license that allows full installations on any computer owned by the company. However, you do bring up an interesting point. Each machine will have one associated computer for logging stuff. If I were to create a shortcut on the desktop of each machine that would open the database using Access Runtime instead of the full program, would it allow them to log jobs and, at the same time, prevent them from accidentally loving anything up?

Cowboy Mark posted:

Also, for concurrent user access you should split it into a front-end/back-end setup (there's a wizard to do this in 2007 and 2010, don't know about earlier). If you want to go pro you can store the back-end tables in a SQL server, but .mdb and .accdb backends work fine for smaller setups.

Hold your horses there, Cowboy! I'm afraid that type of stuff is far over my head at this point. As I learn more about Access and databases, it might be nice to create one big shared database for all machines and have each machine on a separate tab or something, but, for now, I'm just planning on creating a separate database tailored for each machine and storing the database files on the network so the guy in the cubicle can just open each one and click a button to generate a monthly report instead of having him collect up paper logs from each machine and manually enter each line into an Excel spreadsheet every month.

Is it possible to have Access automatically generate a summary report on the first of each month? If I could have it do something like that, then it would remove the cubicle guy from the picture completely. I'm still in the early stages right now trying to learn what Access can or can't do. If it can do something, I'll find tutorials and information on line and learn how to do it on my own, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time trying to figure out how to do something that can't be done.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

We're leaving the small/stupid area and going into [reserve the next few pages for this discussion]. If you have specific questions you can PM me or maybe see if you can start a threat in SHSC. I'll briefly answet these ones.

Thank you and thanks to everybody else who replied. The answers you have provided have given me the direction and resources I needed, so this should keep me plenty busy for the next couple weeks or so.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I've split the rubber thumb pads on the left joysticks of all three of my PS3 controllers. I've looked on Amazon and at purchasing results on Google and it all comes up with the same hits with reviews that say they are a loose fit. Can anybody recommend somewhere online that I can get decent quality replacements?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In the NFL, is there any sort of interference ruling if a referee gets in the way of a play?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I saw a youtube video of a guy (who I think is Australian) and the gist of it was him going up to people with "first world problems" and telling them to man up and quit being a loving baby. He used a particular phrase, but I can't remember what it was or what his name is. I hope this is an easy one.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I think the phrase you are looking for is "Harden the gently caress up."

El_Elegante posted:

Comedian Rohnnie johns as Chopper telling people to harden the gently caress up.

Bingo! Thank you!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Gravity Pike posted:

I've got a mesh dome filter covering the fan above my stove, and it's gotten pretty gross. Where can I get a new one? Do they have those at, like, a grocery store? A hardware store?

My dad has a case of a degreaser called "Tornado 50". I was helping him work on his fuel oil furnace and he was using it to clean stuff up and I was very impressed at how well it worked. He gave me a gallon jug and I was thinking about your post this morning so I tried it on the mesh filter in my range hood. I haven't cleaned it since I bought the house six years ago, and I don't know if it had ever been cleaned by the previous owners. I mixed up about a 1:4 ratio of Tornado to hot water in the sink and scrubbed it with one of those plastic bristle brushes you would use to clean glasses.

After about 10 seconds of soaking and 20 seconds of scrubbing, the water was opaque and brown like liquid poo poo toilet water on a Sunday morning after a weekend of hard drinking. I drained that water and rinsed the filter, then gave it another soak with the same mix and scrubbed it again. I don't have a "before" picture, but it only took about 5 minutes of work to go from brown and grimy to spotless and shiny:

The kicker is, I don't know where my dad got it from and I can't find anyplace to order it online. The only thing I can think of is going to their website and using the contact info call or email them to see if you can order a jug.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

My dad has a case of a degreaser called "Tornado 50"...The only thing I can think of is going to their website and using the contact info call or email them to see if you can order a jug.

As an update, I sent them an email and they told me to call their 1-800 number, so I did, but that was out of service. I called their regular number and talked to the girl that works in the office and found out that the smallest order you can get is a case of four one-gallon jugs for $47 plus $25 shipping (HAZMAT). I ordered a case because it kicks the poo poo out of Simple Green or any other cleaner I have ever used and I don't want to run out of it.

I asked why their market is so limited and found out it is a small family company with four employees and she said they don't have the infrastructure to deal with high volume, so mainly they just sell to commercial buyers that buy it by the pallet or 55gal drum. Her brother is the owner of the company and close to retirement age so jumping into a national or international market is a bigger bite than he is willing to chew.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

KillianLett posted:

I'm looking for a step or two up from house cues, but not "what the pros use".

A $20 wal-mart cue is a step above a bar cue. A broom handle with a decent tip is a step above a bar cue. If she plays in a pool hall that sells cues, go pick out a McDermott/Joss/Cuetec/Stealth in the $75-$150 range and you are - hell, I can't even say how many "steps" above a bar cue you would be. It would be like if your wife had spent the last 2 years in a pasture eating fungus off of cow pies and you were going to a grocery store to pick up some food that was a "step or two" above that.

Any two-piece that is straight and has a decent tip is going to be a huge improvement over a bar cue. If I were in your shoes, I'd bring her along to let her pick out what she likes in a price range you agree on. It sounds like you don't have a clue and if she has been playing leagues for a couple of years, so she would have a much better idea of what would make her happy.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

hooah posted:

If I had a pool table in my house and didn't plan on taking my cues anywhere, is there any advantage of having a two-piece cue?

The main difference is that I don't think you can buy a decent one-piece cue. That market is reserved for bar cues and bottom of the barrel K-Mart crap. Somebody may prove me wrong and post a $4000 one-piece cue with unicorn horn inlays. Two-piece cues are the overwhelming standard for personal cues.

As for actual advantages:

With a one piece, if you want to change the weight, your only option is to get a heavier butt-weight (probably not the correct name) which will make your cue rear end heavy. With a two-piece, you can add weight in the middle and/or the butt to balance it.

If your cue warps, you can get a new shaft for a two-piece. A big part of the price in two piece cues is in the butt with all the inlays, wraps, fancy wood, and whatnot. The butt isn't going to warp unless you leave it in your trunk in a Georgia summertime or something like that. If a one-piece cue warps, which it will, it's shot.

Almost all of the action is in the shaft (thin end) and tip. The butt (rear end end of the cue) is mostly just something to grab onto that looks pretty and costs a lot of money. With a two-piece, you can swap out shafts and use one for breaking and one for regular playing without having to buy two separate cues. If you are the type that prefers a very delicate shaft with a soft tip (Meucci comes to mind), you wouldn't want to break with it because it would mushroom the tip and possibly break the shaft. In that case, you'd screw on your tank shaft for the break and switch back to your good shaft for the rest of the game.

My experience comes from growing up in pool halls and spending about 4 years of my life playing rack after rack of 9-ball for 5-6 hours every night with a used McDermott and a Stealth backup. There are probably goons that have spent 20-30 years playing rack after rack for 5-6 hours a night, so if one of them chimes in, just disregard what I have to say and listen to them.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

"just lapse payment" is never the right answer. You can bet there is some fine print somewhere stating X notice to terminate.

You are very right. I switched insurance companies several years back and figured that when my old policy ran out, I would be done with them. They (Allstate) automatically reinstated my insurance for one month after the expiration. This can be a nice automatic grace period if you are forgetful about making payments, but it kind of screwed me over. Since I thought I was done with Allstate, I didn't bother opening any of the mail from them and ended up getting a call from a collection agency a few months later for that extra month.

For my own stupid/small question, what is the best way to transfer VHS to either DVD or MPEG? Google shows me plenty of results for converters, but I have no idea what converter/software package to buy.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

RaoulDuke12 posted:

What sort of computer do you have (as in mac/pc)? Obviously there are combination VHS/DVD burner decks that could be had for a pittance. Those are simple enough; most of them are one push buttons to copy and don't require a computer at all. You end up with a playable DVD with your VHS footage on it.

My mistake, I should have specified - I have a PC (dual core 2.?Ghz and 4G RAM) and a VCR. What I want to do is transfer some guitar instructional videos that are each about 60 minutes long. There are several adapter cables to go from RCA connectors to USB on Amazon, but the reviews on the software are pretty mixed. Some of the reviews mention that the audio and video gets out of sync and that's one of my main concerns.

I'm really a novice when it comes to this type of thing. I'm just looking for an easy way to transfer those tapes to MPEG or DVD so I can watch them on my computer instead of dragging out the VCR whenever I want to see them.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm looking for one or two sets of funny commercials that I found on youtube.

The first one is from a country I believe is Scandinavian and may be either a hardware store or a health insurance company. The commercials show somebody in every day life having some sort of accident, and then the name of the company pops up and I think their logo is green. The accidents are funny - it isn't like those Canadian PSA commercials where the waitress falls down and pulls a pot of boiling oil down with her. More like a guy walking into a plexiglass window thinking it is a door.

This is pretty vague, but I also remember seeing some foreign (to the US) commercials where something would happen and then somebody would say, "Ah HAA!". It's very possible that this is part of the same commercial in the previous paragraph.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Psychorider posted:

That sounds like Familiprix, a Quebec-based drugstore chain. Here's the one you might be thinking of.

That's the one. Thanks!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

spog posted:

Has anyone taken a DiSC profile test?

How did it work and did you feel you could control the outcome?

Everybody at my job took one a few years back then we had a group meeting with the DiSC representative to talk about the results. It seemed pretty accurate, but they tend to put a positive spin on every character trait. For example, instead of saying "This person makes uninformed decisions", they will phrase it like, "This person is ambitious and doesn't require a lot of input to make decisions". On the flipside, they don't say, "This person is indecisive and never gets anything done". They say, "This person likes to gather information and have a complete understanding of a situation before putting a plan into action".

I'm not sure what you mean by controlling the outcome. I just tried to be objective in my self assessment and answer honestly. I think that is the best way to do it as it will allow you to get a better understanding of yourself and also understand your relations with your co-workers.

If you're concerned about controlling the outcome because you are court ordered to take a DiSC assessment as part of psychiatric evaluation or something, I still think it would be best to honestly answer the questions. Due to the positive spin on everything, there is no right nor wrong personality type. It's just a tool to help you better understand yourself.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm getting ready to do a hard drive swap in my PS3. I only have an 8G USB drive for backup, so doing an entire drive copy of the old drive isn't an option. I'm not concerned with backing movies or music - only game and related stuff. I went through and backed up all of the stuff using the "Saved Data Utility" in the games part of the menu. Is there other stuff I should be saving as well?

edit: I also downloaded and saved the newest firmware.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 15, 2012

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I found this picture as a background image on a website, but it is blacked out in the middle. I didn't have any luck with google image search. Can anybody find me the original, non blacked out, version of this image?

Huge version

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

El_Elegante posted:

If you're referring to the sun it's the same as "Saul." If its the musical term, it's the same as "soul."

Also, dictionaries and wikipedia have pronunciation keys for this-check 'em out next time.

So the Honda Del Sol...

The Spanish name del Sol translates to of the sun, and refers to the car's opening roof.

...is pronounced Del Sall/Saul and not Del Sole?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm trying to remember the name of a breakfast bar, but the name is eluding me. It was a rectangular chocolate coated bar and the interior was like packed gritty sand. It wasn't chewy, but not exactly crunchy either - mostly it was just dry. The last time I remember eating one was sometime in the mid 80s, so I don't know if they still even exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

tarepanda posted:

Sounds like any number of supplement bars... or even some MRE bars.

I remembered what it is - Carnation Breakfast Bars. Man, those things were good. Sadly, it looks like they are no longer being made.

What's this about candy bars in MREs? Back in my day, if you wanted candy with your MRE, you'd mix cocoa powder with coffee creamer and pour that concoction over some peanut butter smeared on those hefty crackers. The hard part was collecting all of those items. Nobody ever wanted to part with their peanut butter or crackers.