Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Namarrgon posted:

I found an iPod (the mp3 kind, not the phone kind) and I want to return it to the owner. My friend tells me that you can contact apple for help with that but from looking around on the site they seem to go through a lot of trouble not to list an email address anywhere and the phone numbers listed seem to be very specifically for either pre-order or technical support. Plus I don't want to be put on hold for 15 minutes and pay phone costs.

Anyone know what I should do? The gadget subforum didn't seem to have a thread for questions like this so I thought I'd post it here.

Put up some flyers in the area where you found it. Have the person call/email you and identify it by naming a few songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Baron Porkface posted:

How "tall" is the asteroid belt? Like if I was piloting a migthy rocket ship, how far up or down would I have to steer to avoid it?

You wouldn't have to. I saw a documentary on it recently and it said the asteroids were so far apart, you could just fly right through it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

hayden. posted:

I just sold a tablet on ebay and received and email from what appears to be PayPal email that says I need to verify my email to accept the Paypal funds. I don't think I've received money with it before, so I guess that makes sense.

However, the actual "from" address is a Yahoo address that matches the buyer's username on eBay. The link appears to be a legitimate Paypal link and the header info in the email makes it look like it came from Paypal:

code:
Received: by 10.216.238.197 with SMTP id a47cs189593wer;
        Tue, 6 Dec 2011 22:24:56 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.68.7.9 with SMTP id f9mr2747665pba.47.1323239093777;
        Tue, 06 Dec 2011 22:24:53 -0800 (PST)
Return-Path: <payment@paypal.com>
Received: from mx0.phx.paypal.com (mx0.phx.paypal.com. [66.211.168.230])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTP id g4si1956533pbl.184.2011.12.06.22.24.52;
        Tue, 06 Dec 2011 22:24:53 -0800 (PST)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email]payment@paypal.com[/email] designates 66.211.168.230 as permitted sender) client-ip=66.211.168.230;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email]payment@paypal.com[/email] designates 66.211.168.230 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=payment@paypal.com; dkim=pass header.i=@paypal.com
DomainKey-Signature: q=dns; a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws;
Is this some elaborate scam to steal my Paypal account or am I just being paranoid? The email coming from a Yahoo address is a huge red flag to me.

Here's where it linked me, it appears to be Paypal and is secured: https://www.paypal.com/ece/cn=16824163741926693987&em=MYEMAILWASHERE

Did the email from Paypal address you by your actual name? If not, it's probably a scam.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Dudebro posted:

About 5 weeks ago, there was an artist by the name of Leslie McClaine who finished a large Batman poster collage thing called "Mayhem at the Manor" and I bought one for $55 (along with many other people). This website is https://www.evilspacerobot.com and look at it now, it's a random online pharmaceutical store.

What happened? Should I contact PayPal immediately and ask for a refund? Was McClaine served with a lawsuit for selling this art? I don't know what happened.

Please google Mayhem at the Manor along with Leslie McClaine to find some stories and blogs about the completion of the art. I haven't seen anyone yet express any worry about being scammed or not receiving anything.

I clicked on your link and got the correct site with a story at the top about the hacking.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

NESguerilla posted:

Does USPS have any rules about sending non paper items in a normal envelope with a stamp? I have a couple of tiny parts to send out that weigh about as much as a piece of paper combined, but they make the envelope bulge about 1/5 of an inch in the middle. Would this be against the rules or considered suspicious?

As long as they aren't dangerous (their website should be able to tell what you can and can't ship), I don't see why you couldn't. I'd be more concerned about the parts tearing the envelope and falling out.

Why not use a small padded envelope?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

hooah posted:

The microwave where I'm staying says its power consumption is 1030 W, but the "microwave output" is only 600 W. Which of these do food companies refer to when they refer to a microwave's power?

The output. You'd have to adjust your cooking times accordingly.

wikipedia posted:

A typical consumer microwave oven consumes 1100 W of electricity in producing 700 W of microwave power, an efficiency of 64%.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

spog posted:

Showing my age, but I can confirm this to be correct.

Not all of them were like this, many had normal-sized holes in them.

I've seen some that have a regular hole and a bit you can break out giving you the bigger hole.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Rubies posted:

Can someone help me find a Family Guy bit? There was this one part of an episode where Peter's voice was changed into a regular guy's voice. He was sitting at the bar with his buddies but instead of being all whiney he had a clear deep voice and was like "could you guys keep it down? we're trying to enjoy the bar!" or something eequally dorky. I don't know the season or episode or anything, and since there's a lot of voice gags on FG google isn't helping me. Thanks!

Sounds like it might be Friends of Peter G where Death shows Peter what his life would have been like if he didn't drink.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hadn't considered it from a feminist/queer theory perspective. Didn't disco enjoy a lot of success among mainstream white America?

This should answer that question:

The disco being played in gay nightclubs was not like the disco being played on US radio stations from what I've read.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Couple of Audacity (ver 1.2.6) questions:

1. How do I make something sound like it's far away?

2. How do I make speech sound like it's coming over an old landline telephone?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

1. Slightly reduce volume, relative to distance and EQ out some of the low frequency and add a slight reverb, depending on perceived distance.

2. http://www.vstplanet.com/Other_audio_tools/Other_3.htm

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

stubblyhead posted:

e: Another medical type question. If you go to the doctor and they bill your insurance, are they required to collect a copay/coinsurance payment from you as well? Or are they allowed to eat that cost if they so choose?

Insurance biller here: they are not required to take your co-pay/co-insurance upfront. It's up to the individual office. Your co-pay is usually a fixed amount and you're going to have to pay it anyway, so you might as well pay it when you go. Co-insurances and deductibles can vary, so it's best to wait and see what the insurance company is going to pay.

The only time a provider will eat the co-pays/etc is when they can't collect it from you.

Ultimately, YOU are responsible for your bills being paid. The providers file everything as a courtesy. If you have any more similar questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

stubblyhead posted:

This is basically what I'm wondering--for the particular service there's a copay of $20 for example, and the explanation of benefits shows that amount as the subscriber's responsibility. The doctor chooses not to collect this amount. Is this allowed? I guess that actually brings up another question. I always assumed that the copay/coinsurance is kept by the doctor or whoever. Is this correct, or are they merely collecting that money on behalf of some other party?

The provider will usually have a contract with the insurance company for whatever services. Let's say it's a regular office visit and the billed amount is $150. The contract rate might be, say, $90. You pay $20 as a co-pay and the insurance company will pay the other $70.

The doctor doesn't have to collect, but he/she'd be pretty dumb not to.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Can anybody identify what kind of leaf this is?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cymbal Monkey posted:

How big was it?

About 4.5" at the widest.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cymbal Monkey posted:

It's too short for a dock leaf, and too small.

Where on the planet did you find this leaf?

My cousin planted it in my mother's backyard (outside Savannah). Neither one knows what it is. That's what I'm for. :v:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cymbal Monkey posted:

The main reason for my question is I'm trying to figure out a climate. Can you give me an actual location on the map? Preferably with GPS coordinates.

Latitude: 32-11'50'' N
Longitude: 081-26'16'' W

That's where the plant is now, but I don't know where my cousin got it.

It's vine-like and is currently about two feet long. The leaves are spaced about 6-8" apart.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Randomity posted:

A picture of the actual plant may be helpful.

I didn't have my camera with me and I won't be going back there for a few weeks. I'll try to remember to get a shot then.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

9of10 posted:

Is it legal driving a RV, being under age 25, in all states in the US?

Driving a RV, is it legal to have alcohol and drinking in it, while moving?

To answer your first question, it's not so much an age requirement as it is a license-class question

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

As for the second, I think it would be okay as long as you aren't in the front seats.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
How can an actor with a speaking part appear in a movie and not be credited?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ridonkulous posted:

How accessible are the written works of Stephen Hawking? Particularly A Brief History of Time.
Also are there any other scientists (astrophysicists?) that are easier reads for someone with little science knowledge?

Speaking of Hawking, is there any video or audio recording of Hawking speaking in his natural voice before he went all Mr. Roboto?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
A few weeks ago, I posted a leaf for identification. Now, here's the plant it came from. Can anybody identify it?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

randyest posted:

That's true of memory foam because the cells are closed and the chemicals used, but neither is true of latex foam which is more expensive but much better in my opinion (I tried both; the memory foam stank like hell and was sweaty hot no matter how cold the room was.)

I bought an off-brand memory foam mattress and the online reviews mentioned the stinkiness problem. When it arrived (rolled up and looking like a gym punching bag), I opened it up expecting the worst. There was zero odor and it assumed its final size in about an hour.

I haven't had any problems with heat, but I tend to generate a LOT of heat if I'm covered up completely, so I can't really blame the mattress. I have been sleeping like the dead on it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Why are some people compelled to feed internet trolls? Especially when they've identified the poster as a troll and the troll pretty much admits it?

The feeder usually ends up looking like more of an idiot than the troll himself.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Smeep posted:

I'm watching "24" on Netflix and I have a question. I'm at season 4, I think, and can someone tell me about the "Chloe" character without spoiling whether or not she dies a horrible fiery death by the last season (*fingers crossed*)? Basically my question is: when the show was airing, did everyone hate her as much as I do? She's supposed to be a jokey character, right? It's completely out-of-place and off-putting when she pulls her dumb faces or says something stupid. It makes me feel like I'm watching an SNL skit of a scene from "24."

On the TVIV weekly 24 threads, Chloe went from psycho spergin' bitch to awesome nerd girl to yeah, yeah, we get it already.

The actress IS awesome, though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
If I put both a street address and a post office box number on a letter, which one will the post office use? Would the order matter?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

This happened to an ex-brother-in-law. He'd given an old POS car to a guy and drew up a bill of "sale" which was witnessed by his sister (my then wife). It wasn't notarized, but he presented it to the police and they dropped all the tickets.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Can a business that offers free Wi-Fi be held responsible for what users do with their signal?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Zewle posted:

At least in the US: Every time you see two water fountains, is it from when they had segregated fountains?

When I see them in pairs, one is usually set lower for handicapped people.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
When a movie is shot in 3D, do they just use the footage from one of the "lenses" for the 2D release or do they use a completely different camera.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

ineptmule posted:

This child certainly looks like there is something wrong with her.

If you haven't seen her show, I dare you to try and make it through an entire episode.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Gravity Pike posted:

They don't have a second 2D camera, but it's not as simple as using the "left" lens either. They use a computer "flattening" technique to maintain the correct framing, do special effects correctly, etc.

I figured it something like that. The reason I asked was that a friend was showing off his 3D TV and I figured they wouldn't be able to use a separate camera setup.

I've yet to see a 3D movie in a theater and his TV looked like I was watching a giant, live-action Viewmaster.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Is there a term (other than brain fart or similar) for when you can't think of something (like a movie star's name) and then some time later the name just pops into your head out of nowhere.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What compels some delivery drivers to just lie and say they tried to deliver a package, rather than just delivering the loving package?

Quotas most likely or they're just lazy fucks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

marshmallard posted:

It looks very much like the coins that are used to divine the I Ching.

Basically, you ask a question, flip the coins, and then consult the oracle (the I Ching, aka Book of Changes) to find out what the result means.

It's a way of telling the future, essentially.

I'd heard of the I Ching, but knew nothing about it. I'm currently reading The Man in the High Castle and most of the major characters use it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Schweinhund posted:

Just get a new PC with windows 7 (8 is too different), copy over his emails and bookmarks and he probably won't miss anything.

That's what I did. My last computer was a 2003 Dell running XP and I replaced it with a Windows 7 machine last year. It's obviously much faster, but otherwise there's little difference.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Since we're talking about the speed of light, I have a stupid question.

If you could drive your car faster than the speed of light, what would you see in your rear-view mirror?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

b0nes posted:

I need to burn about 9gb of video files into a DVD for a friend. I am doing it on a regular 4.7gb DVD. What is the best way to accomplish this? I have Handbrake, but I am wondering if I should or could use the preset formats for iPhone, iPad, etc. She is watching them on a portable DVD player, so having them at full resolution probably isn't necessary. What free or trialware software could I use.

DVD Flick can do the job. It can work with most any type video file you can name.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think he wanted to know if pistols can have them too.

Which they can. Like, this is the first hit for a google of "drum magazine pistol". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9GCtQjBhfs

When you want to kill something. A lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Using checks to pay rent and some bills is still pretty normal I think. An awful lot of people do still get paychecks, too, but we have direct deposit and I think that's pretty standard for white collar jobs at least.

I pay my rent (monthly) and water bill (every two months) by check. My apartment complex recently gave us the option to pay online. For a $10 "convenience fee". I can buy several hundred checks for $10. Also, I live right upstairs from the office and I can just drop the check off at the first of the month.

As for the water bill, the city still doesn't have the option to pay online like every other company.

My paycheck is directly deposited and I have to go online to get a copy of the stub.