Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Holy poo poo! That and Transformers Devastation means I have 2 "gone forever consumers be damned" games on Steam now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm so glad Vinny does what he does, so well, and while still being a pretty chill and nice guy. I've never heard anything bad about him, (Rev either, Joel I'm a little wary about because he may still do the attack helicopter jokes, and is a fan of the BBQ Pit Boys who are big CHUDs. The other streamers I'm not as familiar with but haven't heard anything bad about them either.)

As far as I can tell Vinny is genuinely a good, cool, and chill guy. Joel definitely made a transphobic joke a few years ago and apologized, don't know if he did anything bad recently. As for the other streamers the only thing I can confirm is that Imakuni casually used slurs without comment as late as 2016 when I tried to watch a few of her archived streams.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

The Left/Right Game was one that I found extremely compelling. It actually is one of my favorite short stories, has a really strong cast of characters, a writing style that doesn't grate at all, character moments that actually made me think, and just enough horror combined with paranormal mystery to make me shudder at what a hosed up situation the characters are in. It was posted in 10 parts on Reddit and honestly the author is probably too talented for that board.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/co...ntent=post_body

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Remember a bit ago when we were talking about creepypasta and how it's almost always bad, especially video game ones?

I learned that on the Creepypasta Wiki in recent years they've attempted to seriously crack down on the garbage with an angrily-worded rules page along with a word blacklist.

https://creepypasta.fandom.com/wiki/Creepypasta_Wiki:Spinoffs?useskin=oasis

In addition, for those who haven't seen them, a few years back, Slowbeef did dramatic readings of some of the worst and funniest video game creepfic that he could find. These ones are all gold and range from babby's first writing project to angry older sibling makes fanfiction where his younger sibling kills himself to some clown uses a thesaurus for every single word and takes 12 paragraphs to describe 5 seconds of action.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo4M1tlpv9rt9Q3mdIHWdeNBGU-riKEsT

Lastly, the other night out of curiosity I looked at what were the all-time most popular stories on the wiki. The ones that were so popular to have dozens of readings on Youtube, fan art and fan videos, and have readers beg the author to finish it. This is one of them:

https://badcreepypasta.fandom.com/wiki/Happy_Appy

It seems like a few years after the original and its sequels were finished and re-written several times, the author pulled a Tommy Wiseau and said "Ha ha actually it was meant to be bad and a black comedy all along, looks like I really owned you guys huh :P" As far as I know, it was genuine and is one of the funniest pieces of horror media I've ever read. Every update gets worse and it becomes obvious the entire thing was flow of thought and the backspace key was never used.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Yeah when I was a horror-hungry teenager around 2009 - 2012 I ate up all the population creepypasta, I was a huge fan of Ben Drowned, The Theater, weird creepy indie games, Marble Hornets related stuff, ARG stories like EveryManHYBRID. I ate up "Top 15 Creepiest Secrets in Popular Games" type videos.

Though even as a teenager with lower standards I remember thinking Happy Appy was lame. As an adult holy poo poo it's one of the
worst pieces of fiction I've read the entirety of.

Edit: I also remember not understanding why people liked Jeff the Killer but now I understand it's because it's the same people my age who love The Joker.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Oh so the current gamegrumps people are also nazis like Jontron or am I misunderstanding this?

Also Vinny Vinesauce is about as wholesome of a video game guy as you can get and Penny Parker is a newer, equally wholesome video game video maker and streamer lady who has similar humor style to the McElroys.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCYIwBA7mwDWnrckXs7gt76Q/videos

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Twenty Four posted:

lol what is that from?

I think the sign says:

SoMETIMES...
God TAKES MOMMIES
ANd PuPPIES AWAY...
ANd SoMETIMES...
JuSt SoMETIMES...

I do

Yup, thats exactly what it says. Apparently the artist was frustrated with the lovely shovelware racing game he was working on and threw that in as a placeholder billboard only for every dev to miss it. And then 20 years later someone discovers the sign.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Cat Ghost is awesome and was a little too ahead of its time.

It is unfortunate that derivative of derivative of derivative youtube horror is where all the popularity is at right now, so creative works go unnoticed until like Nexpo or one of his ripoffs find a good one and just play every video in their own video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Neito posted:

Of course 90% of analog horror is crap. 90% of everything is crap.

It's true. You're very correct.

Though once I was a fresh-faced, nubile, hopeful goon, as I slowly aged into a decrepit, derelict, crusty, scummy, ancient goon (pushing 30) I've noticed more and more how hosed it is lmao