Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

books posted:

This is a long shot.
I remember watching an anime that was medieval themed, I think. And the main character was a blonde woman. Her name sounded like searma. Like searing meat and a casual way to call your mom.
I must have stopped watching it for one reason or another, but I keep thinking about it and I just want to put it to rest.
So please help me.

It would help if you said the year/general timeframe, how you watched this (on TV? Subtitled/dubbed?), in what country, etc. Do you remember if she had long hair? Short hair? Is it Claymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

off-key indie nonsense
Apr 22, 2010

It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us cybersinners.

Daryl Surat posted:

It would help if you said the year/general timeframe, how you watched this (on TV? Subtitled/dubbed?), in what country, etc. Do you remember if she had long hair? Short hair? Is it Claymore?

I think the show came out in the early 2000s. It was subbed and I did watch it through a streaming service but I can't remember which one. She had long hair and it wasn't Claymore. Other ones I thought of were Scrapped Princess, Grenadier, Rune Soldier, and Sands of Destruction. I wish I could remember something about the series that would actually be useful.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Le Chevalier D'Eon?

off-key indie nonsense
Apr 22, 2010

It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us cybersinners.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Le Chevalier D'Eon?

I've never heard of that one. Though now I have a new show to look into.
I think the plot was weak and there was a lot of fan service, that may have been why I stopped watching.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Samurai Deeper Kyo?
The female lead is called Shiina.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

books posted:

I've never heard of that one. Though now I have a new show to look into.
I think the plot was weak and there was a lot of fan service, that may have been why I stopped watching.

Disclaimer: these are not recommendations, just attempts to weakly fit the parameters provided and spur some brainstorming:

Chrono Crusade?
Oda Nobuna no Yabou?
Junketsu no Maria?
Ashita no Nadja?
GOSICK?
Gun Frontier?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'll misuse this again to try and jog my memory regarding a manga i've read some years back. A basic concept recently came to mind again and i'm going crazy trying to remember where i've read it before.

It was (as far as i read it, not very far) a standard shounen where protagonist gets sudden super powers, or at least thrown into a world of super power users. You know the type.
The gimmick is, while the protag has an existential crisis about the use of super powers to kill others or something, the first antagonist he met kidnaps his love interest and leaves him a message saying "i've got your precious, come and find me here". The protagonist has a moment of waffling about or whatever, before giving the usual mental speech of resolve while dashing to the specified place (some kinda big hall).

The usual set-up: protagonist arrives panting and sweating at the place, while antagonist is next to the gagged-and-tied-to-a-chair love interest, teasing / humiliating him. Protagonist gives in to humiliation / verbal abuse, antagonist goes "whatever, this isn't even fun, here, you can have her then".
Protagonist goes to free his love interest, notices that she's actually not moving anymore, and that she's just a corpse tied to a chair. Antagonist then goes apeshit gloating how he tortured her in the hours it took the protag getting here, telling him how she kept repeating "[protagonist] will save me" until the end.

It probably stuck with me as the only example of the hostage situation actually ending badly due to the main character being a wimp.

off-key indie nonsense
Apr 22, 2010

As far as I can tell those aren't what I was looking for either. I appreciate the help and I'll keep looking, hoping this wasn't some fever dream.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm trying to remember this one I only ever saw a few clips of in the early 00s, but it was probably made in the late-ish 90s by the look of it. I think the premise was one of those things where instead of countries warring with each other they each send a team of champions into an arena to fight each other.

What stood out to me was that instead of fighting each other hand to hand or in giant mechs, they'd instead be sitting in chairs wearing a helmet/brain connecting apparatus thing through which they'd control humanoid robots that do the actual fighting. The robots were really blandly designed now that I think about it, like just monochrome flat armor type stuff, and the folks would feel the pain/impact of their respective robots to an extent. They were human sized robots, like you'd think they were just a person in a suit. Again they weren't actually piloting the robots, like they'd be in a room near by or whatever.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm trying to remember this one I only ever saw a few clips of in the early 00s, but it was probably made in the late-ish 90s by the look of it. I think the premise was one of those things where instead of countries warring with each other they each send a team of champions into an arena to fight each other.

What stood out to me was that instead of fighting each other hand to hand or in giant mechs, they'd instead be sitting in chairs wearing a helmet/brain connecting apparatus thing through which they'd control humanoid robots that do the actual fighting. The robots were really blandly designed now that I think about it, like just monochrome flat armor type stuff, and the folks would feel the pain/impact of their respective robots to an extent. They were human sized robots, like you'd think they were just a person in a suit. Again they weren't actually piloting the robots, like they'd be in a room near by or whatever.

The premise isn't quite what you describe, but since you only saw clips of it there's a chance that you're talking about Angelic Layer.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This isn't it but is actually very very similar. But the art in this was a little grittier.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Edit: Nvm.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neo Rasa posted:

Sounds like Avenger, maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avenger_(anime)?wprov=sfsi1

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What... is this from?

https://a.pomf.cat/nbxobs.webm

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm pretty sure that's Tokyo Ghoul.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I need help remembering the name of this old anime movie (woulda been late 80s or early to mid 90s). This description is going to be very vague and unhelpful but it's all I can remember.

There were like these little sprite guys who lived in the mountains, but when humans would come by theyd turn into things like pots and pans and their home looked like a garbage dump. I think someone learns the secret and rounds them all up to do something. and the MC is a human and he befriends one of them and at one point they like fuse into a singular being to free them. Well. probably wont get any bites but this has been driving me mad.

I want to say the human or the sprite's name was Toby...Kobe? Something like that. It was dubbed so the names probably were changed.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm not sure exactly which show this is from, though I feel like it might be Blood+ or GunxSword? Anyway it wass a short arc/flashback set in a jungle/tropical area where a scientist is living and doing research with his daughter. I'm fairly sure he was researching a specific plant, or at least a plant was involved in some chemical research he was doing. Either due to his research or just tension in the area, conflict breaks out and the scientist is killed, though his daughter survives.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

dogsicle posted:

I'm not sure exactly which show this is from, though I feel like it might be Blood+ or GunxSword? Anyway it wass a short arc/flashback set in a jungle/tropical area where a scientist is living and doing research with his daughter. I'm fairly sure he was researching a specific plant, or at least a plant was involved in some chemical research he was doing. Either due to his research or just tension in the area, conflict breaks out and the scientist is killed, though his daughter survives.

I dont think I remember that happening in Blood+ at least? Never seen GunxSword and it doesn't sound familiar.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
anyone know what this is? randomly stumbled across it on twitter with no info whatsoever about it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

This sounds like Darker than Black

TeacherAteMyDog
Nov 28, 2007
KoreaAteMyTeacher

dogsicle posted:

There's a short arc in fate zero about kiritsugu emiya growing up with his scientist father and his father's assistant, a local girl, on a typical island.

The father's research is on a specific plant, the research causes a zombie outbreak, and the scientist dies but so does the assistant girl.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TeacherAteMyDog posted:

There's a short arc in fate zero about kiritsugu emiya growing up with his scientist father and his father's assistant, a local girl, on a typical island.

The father's research is on a specific plant, the research causes a zombie outbreak, and the scientist dies but so does the assistant girl.

aaahhh this is it! weirdly a bunch of the details also matched up with Darker than Black, but i skimmed episode 18 of F/Z and specifically remember the hut the scientist lives in. it being a "zombie" outbreak is what made me confuse it with the Blood+ Vietnam flashbacks, as well. thanks a ton!

Tendoru
Jan 17, 2009
With great shame I need to ask for help once again.
Some saint in this forum helped me out years ago, but I cant find my post anymore, even after scanning through all 250-something pages.

It was an old anime/cartoon on VHS that we had.
The story is about a boy that in the beginning looses his father, who is a martial artist. His father is killed in front of him by an evil rival, who had a sidekick-woman that used needles to kill him.
The boy then needs to flee and hides in a cave. The next day he starts exploring/training and meets a monkey, that in the beginning is very sceptical of him.
I think that they become friends after he fights against a monster/big cat to save the monkey. THey also tried to eat some beets, but they were very bitter and they all had a laugh!

The story advances and the boy now is a teenager and soemhow ends up in a town, where he is imprisioned, because he breaks the rules of the oppressive regime there. A girl helps him and hands him food through the cell window.
Lo and behold the oppressive regime is lead by the evil rival that killed his father.

Unfortunately, we did only have two tapes and i dont know the rest of the story.
It was one of those good old animation movies that didnt shy away from showing blood and real consequences.

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012
Saw this on some random GIF dump and wanna know what anime it's from; any leads much appreciated!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Automatic Jill posted:

Saw this on some random GIF dump and wanna know what anime it's from; any leads much appreciated!

I found it tagged as Marmalade Boy, although having not seen it i can't say for sure.

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012
Ah! I think that's it; it looks like romance has temporarily transformed the heroine's hair from brown to shimmering pastels which made it more difficult to identify. Thanks!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Saw this image while browsing Tumblr, it looks neat and I wanna know where it's from:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they're side characters in Noragami.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Oh, okay. Thanks!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
So a friend of mine says that she remembers this anime from around 2005-2007 where it starts off as a normal show, almost a children's show, with a little girl and her little star friend (like this):

It stays like this for 2 episodes where the kid and star are playing. Then by the 3rd-4th episode, it turns into this grisly horror/murder anime.

Does anyone know what she might be talking about?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Narutaru

e: it even has a kinda cute OP https://youtu.be/SIF5BLyh3Mk

except for where it hints at the bullying/abuse one of the characters faces :sweatdrop:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It has some interesting parts, but overall it's just hosed up stuff happening to kids. Not worth it.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hello Thread!

Does anyone remember the name of the manga where a family has the mother die for a disease, the father buys a bunch of playing cards as an investment but puts the family in debt and the oldest daughter goes to win a tournament to get her family out of debt? The way she wins if playing like her jerk mom and everyone is surprised because she is normally so nice. The game is a MTG and YGO hybrid.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

Hello Thread!

Does anyone remember the name of the manga where a family has the mother die for a disease, the father buys a bunch of playing cards as an investment but puts the family in debt and the oldest daughter goes to win a tournament to get her family out of debt? The way she wins if playing like her jerk mom and everyone is surprised because she is normally so nice. The game is a MTG and YGO hybrid.

wizard's soul. the old translator's gone though and the new one isn't very good.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Droyer posted:

wizard's soul. the old translator's gone though and the new one isn't very good.

gosh darnit. Is it getting officially translated over here?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

nope

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So I stumbled on this show on YouTube a while back, I think it was just raw unsubbed episodes, but it was a maybe 80s or early 90s shoujo show where the main girl is either a detective or ninja who fights crime. I think she might have one or two boys who followed her around. The characters were all in grade school and it didn't have a very cartoony style, it was actually sort of serious. That's all I can remember.

Can anyone think of what this might be? If I could see a picture of it I'd recognize it right away.

And it's not Saint Tail. But that's sort of close? Like, think Saint Tail but with a detective (or ninja) girl?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i can think of 4 detectives that might fit
Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note, ghost hunt (probably not), Tantei Gakuen Q or CLAMP Gakuen Tanteidan

none of them fit the entire description but it should at least be a lead

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Found it! It was a ninja girl after all.

The show I was thinking of was Soar High Isami/ Tobe! Isami
I had to look through the titles of every 80s/90s anime to find it. Looks like a fun show. I wonder if it's still up on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Found it! It was a ninja girl after all.

The show I was thinking of was Soar High Isami/ Tobe! Isami
I had to look through the titles of every 80s/90s anime to find it. Looks like a fun show. I wonder if it's still up on YouTube.

This has an awesome OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m62L8nHb82g

• Locked thread