Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bungdeetle
Sep 25, 2009

Oh God, the Lord, the strength of my salvation, Thou hast covered my head in the day of battle.
What's the name of the manga that has all those serious facial expressions? The one that goons sometimes use to mock someone who is being too whiny and negative. It was also parodied here.

Someone said Cromartie High School, but I don't think it was a comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Bungdeetle posted:

What's the name of the manga that has all those serious facial expressions? The one that goons sometimes use to mock someone who is being too whiny and negative. It was also parodied here.

Someone said Cromartie High School, but I don't think it was a comedy.

Well, that's parodying Cromartie High School, but I guess CHS itself parodies "though guy" manga from like the 70's and 80's like Fist of the North Star and Sakigake!! Otokojuku(which is probably closer to what you're looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QaO8t-Tejk)

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

What show are these avatars from? There's a few other ones floating around, so I gather it was a "thing" for a while.

Edit: I don't have PMs because I'm poor and lazy.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mirconium posted:

What show are these avatars from?

Homestuck. It's a webcomic, though, not a show.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
sounds like MOBILE SUIT ZETA GUNDAM

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mirconium posted:

What show are these avatars from? There's a few other ones floating around, so I gather it was a "thing" for a while.

Edit: I don't have PMs because I'm poor and lazy.

Hey, I recognize that from somewhere.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I saw a short clip from an anime on Youtube a while back. There was a huge ghost or hologram of a woman who phased through a crowd. It looked like a concert or something like that. I'm pretty sure it's from Macross, but it would be great if someone could point out the episode.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Spermando posted:

I saw a short clip from an anime on Youtube a while back. There was a huge ghost or hologram of a woman who phased through a crowd. It looked like a concert or something like that. I'm pretty sure it's from Macross, but it would be great if someone could point out the episode.

Sounds like Macross Plus to me, specifically the song Borderline which starts at 4:45 of this concert clip. It's a must see OVA series if you haven't yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWUb04t6_ws&feature=related

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
That's it; thanks! I'll check it out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man I hate those Homestuck avatars, it might be a good comic or whatever but every single one is a twitchy attention grabbing avatar.

Yes I know mine is attention-grabbing too, but I am but one man, Homestuck avatar owners are Legion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Man I hate those Homestuck avatars, it might be a good comic or whatever but every single one is a twitchy attention grabbing avatar.

Yes I know mine is attention-grabbing too, but I am but one man, Homestuck avatar owners are Legion.
At least you don't have mine.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Endorph posted:

At least you don't have mine.

Uhm the Bear Patrol avatar owns.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

This is a dumb derail and they are twitchy and attention grabbing because they/ it is good.

Flamebo
Apr 27, 2005
Fauxhawks are so totally in right now Bro!
Whats the name of the manga with a protagonist kid with white spikey hair who uses a sword. He enters some tournament to the death to determine the strongest martial art and the next dainymo or something.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Flamebo posted:

Whats the name of the manga with a protagonist kid with white spikey hair who uses a sword. He enters some tournament to the death to determine the strongest martial art and the next dainymo or something.

Gamaran?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, definitely Gamaran. A bit generic, but not bad if you want battle shounen with Kenshin-esque physics. ie: No ki blasts, but a lot of superhuman techniques based on impressive contortions of real world physics.

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

Lately i've been remembering parts of a retro anime i saw when i was a kid, but I have no loving clue to the title. It's about battling cavemen clans with spears, stonethrowers and other weapons forged in flint. I recall it as relatively violent with blood and poo poo. My father bought them on VHS and i think it was a BiC production (not sure though), and kind of low-budgety in line with GI-JOE drawing. Does this ring a bell to any of you?... Zorak?

thanks.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Kum Kum maybe. It aired in a few different countries dubbed in english and a couple other languages.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
Trying to remember this old anime that aired on Nickelodeon in the late 80s. All I remember is a kid with a british accent with a group on a blue(?) flying ship that looked like a futuristic raft with AI and it was pretty trippy at times. I think they were trying to get home or something.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLjkvuzAFcc

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
Holy crap, that's it. I didn't know if I just ate some bad cereal as a kid and hallucinated the entire thing.

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

Guyver posted:

Kum Kum maybe. It aired in a few different countries dubbed in english and a couple other languages.

Nah, no dice. That show seems pretty "soft". Thx, anyway.

Ixpodsix
Dec 4, 2008
This has been bugging me for years: it was a post-apocalyptic anime that started out with aliens or something in big sarcophagus ships hitting the planet, and then cut to years later and the population is scraggly as poo poo and there's not much water around. At one point the main character's grandmother talks about how water used to fall from the sky and the kid gets pissed off and calls her a liar. Also the big sarcophagus ships have an eye or something that stares at people.

There may be tentacle robots that chase the protagonist through a sewer at one point.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sounds like Green Legend Ran.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1169/Green_Legend_Ran

FrankFumiaki
Sep 24, 2007
I'll think about it tomorrow.
This anime starred a kid who had a sword with a round hole in the hilt where you can fit ff7 style materia into. There are 7 or so of these materia things that he eventually tracks down. Most of them give him power of some sort, except one of them just sucked him into this alternate dimension instead. He wedging his sword between his geta and using the release of potential energy or something to spin himself out of the alternate dimension.

It was on during the early, early 90s in the cantonese speaking part of china, if that helps at all. I'm pretty sure it's of japanese origin like most cartoon shows in china at the time. saintseiya4ever.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Groove Adventure Rave?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_09SQzEB4S8

Ixpodsix
Dec 4, 2008

Guyver posted:

Sounds like Green Legend Ran.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1169/Green_Legend_Ran

That's the one! For years I thought I had just mixed up the plots of some books and Mad Max.

FrankFumiaki
Sep 24, 2007
I'll think about it tomorrow.

Infinitum posted:

Groove Adventure Rave?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_09SQzEB4S8

No, that's way too new. It was around in the early 90s, maybe 92 or 93. Perhaps even earlier.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

AgentDCooper posted:

Lately i've been remembering parts of a retro anime i saw when i was a kid, but I have no loving clue to the title. It's about battling cavemen clans with spears, stonethrowers and other weapons forged in flint. I recall it as relatively violent with blood and poo poo. My father bought them on VHS and i think it was a BiC production (not sure though), and kind of low-budgety in line with GI-JOE drawing. Does this ring a bell to any of you?... Zorak?

thanks.

Could you elaborate on "when you were a kid" was and where you saw the cartoon in question? What language was it in? Genshi Shonen Ryu ("Ryu the Primitive Boy" or something like that) is an anime from the 70s that aired through Europe in the 80s, but I don't think there's an English version. First three episodes have been fansubbed.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I saw this movie one time on, I believe, the SciFi channel in the early to mid '90s during Earth Day. Probably. It was such a long time ago that my memory is a little hazy, and I was young at the time. The main features that I can remember was that it took place on Mars in an underground city area. I believe their society was running out of oxygen, so they were trying to launch their massive space ship to colonize Earth. I remember a scene where the people there could take a pill to gain superhuman abilities. I remember that, when it ended, everybody died and, as the last two people left alive floated off into space, they saw the spirits of everyone they knew float off to Earth. I've always wondered what this movie was called.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

E.Y.E.S. of Mars

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1781

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm trying to recall a movie that I saw as a child, so probably mid to early 80s (maybe even late 70s, but I was born in 83). All I remember about it was that the main character was this tiny blue bunny or a mouse which of course talked, and I think wore some kind of dapper suit. I remember the main conflict of the movie was something that he was destined to be "eaten by Fat Cat". I remember he might have even gone to a stadium where he was supposed to be eaten by him or something. There may have been also a scene where he goes to a circus for some reason. At the very end, the Cat and the bunny/mouse get along, and it shows the main character's family absolutely filling up a tree house or something.

I don't know if this is something we owned on VHS, recorded on VHS, or was just something that was on TV at one point. Trying to search Google for "Fat Cat" gives you just about nothing relevant. Thinking back, this was most likely anime dubbed for America, but I have such a vague memory of this thing that I'm not even sure about that.

Nereidum
Apr 26, 2008

IUG posted:

I'm trying to recall a movie that I saw as a child, so probably mid to early 80s (maybe even late 70s, but I was born in 83). All I remember about it was that the main character was this tiny blue bunny or a mouse which of course talked, and I think wore some kind of dapper suit. I remember the main conflict of the movie was something that he was destined to be "eaten by Fat Cat". I remember he might have even gone to a stadium where he was supposed to be eaten by him or something. There may have been also a scene where he goes to a circus for some reason. At the very end, the Cat and the bunny/mouse get along, and it shows the main character's family absolutely filling up a tree house or something.

I don't know if this is something we owned on VHS, recorded on VHS, or was just something that was on TV at one point. Trying to search Google for "Fat Cat" gives you just about nothing relevant. Thinking back, this was most likely anime dubbed for America, but I have such a vague memory of this thing that I'm not even sure about that.

The Legend of Manxmouse. Yes, it was dubbed, and I remember it being shown on Nickelodeon occasionally (that's where I saw it, anyway).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nereidum posted:

The Legend of Manxmouse. Yes, it was dubbed, and I remember it being shown on Nickelodeon occasionally (that's where I saw it, anyway).

Holy poo poo, thank you for finally putting this question to rest. I thought I remembered that tiger too. I asked this in the last thread and no one knew, so thank you.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
I remember this anime I watched that involved underground fighting and some dick ripping out people's optic nerves by shoving his fingers in their necks and ripping some cord of their neck.

edit: vvvv THANK YOU

Zexerous fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 31, 2010

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Zexerous posted:

I remember this anime I watched that involved underground fighting and some dick ripping out people's optic nerves by shoving his fingers in their necks and ripping some cord of their neck.

That is totally the Grappler Baki OAV. There is also a Grappler Baki television series which you can buy in its entirely for like...$12. Both of these anime are totally worth it.

fengzee
Nov 4, 2009
There was this sci-fi anime, about these chicks who had a big silver space ship and it had the whole Dante's Inferno motif to it (which may have been for just one episode, i forgot) Thats all i remember sadly

Nereidum
Apr 26, 2008

fengzee posted:

There was this sci-fi anime, about these chicks who had a big silver space ship and it had the whole Dante's Inferno motif to it (which may have been for just one episode, i forgot) Thats all i remember sadly

I'm pretty sure this is Sol Bianca: The Legacy. I think the Inferno bit may have just been in one episode, but I think I only saw the first two or three, so I could be wrong.

End585
Nov 30, 2009

by angerbot
I think I saw that anime around 1998. It was about a young girl being dragged in fairy tale, I don't really remember why, but I know that at the end of every episodes, the bad guy was getting transformed into an insect with a human face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marthe
Dec 15, 2007

Fattest of the fat.
There was this movie or OVA that aired on Saturday morning on Sci-Fi back when they had an Anime block years ago. I can only vaguely remember what the plot entailed. The earth's oceans dried up and it followed some people who were fighting (I think?) on those oceans with some sort of land battleship.

• Locked thread