Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Does anyone have real world knowledge of typical differences in temperament between male and female shibas? I know what to expect from them as a breed, but most of the shibas I've met have been male.

Backstory: my boyfriend and I are looking into getting a puppy. I typically prefer male animals(though I'm neutral on shibas and could go either way), he wants a female. I'm fine with this for the most part, but I've read they're more prone to dog aggression. Assuming good socialization, how true is this? Also probably important is that a few years down the line I want to get a GSD, and with that I specifically want a male(I know, opposite end of the spectrum with these two breeds haha). I know its impossible to predict, so I guess I'm curious if I'm inherently setting myself up for failure by having a female shiba and male GSD coexisting, and would be better off if both dogs were male?

Another, unrelated problem is that our chances of getting a male pup seem to be likelier, since most of the breeders I've looked at tend to keep a female pup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Thanks guys! The whole opposite gender being preferable thing was what I had always heard/read, just reading tid bits here and there about the females being more prone to dog aggression made me want a second opinion or two(the only 2 female shibas I've met have been absolute sweethearts, but that's a pretty small sample size).

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

!!! Eee, I'm going to go meet up with the owner of the San Jo Shiba kennel next week to meet her dogs/her, and put a deposit down. She owns this years male champion and the top producing male of all time, Taro. I'm really excited and nervous :ohdear:

Since there isn't a ton of content to this(sorry Im just really excited), here's some pictures she sent me of a cream puppy and her GSD:

:3:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Can it always be shibe chat? :allears: I'm glad to hear she's reputable! I'd heard good things from people at a shiba meet up (yeah we were those guys with no dog at a meet up), and from various internet boards, plus the fact that the other breeders I was talking to either owned or had bred with her dogs. Looks like we're going with a female since I want my GSD to be a male!

We're going to meet her and her dogs this thursday. I'm excited and nervous at the same time :ohdear:.

Related to shibe chat, I noticed with all(or most of) the shiba breeders I've chatted with, they recommend taking the puppy home as early as 7 weeks. From what I've read, it's generally frowned upon to take them home earlier than 8. Is taking the puppy home at 7 weeks going to ruin my it, or is this practice common with shibas/other primitive breeds? If she wasn't such a well regarded breeder I would be wary, but she comes so highly recommended and knows the breed so well.

If this thread isn't the right thread I can move it to the New Puppy thread, I just figured I'd check here first.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Xun, I don't know if its common in other daycares, but at the one I work at we'll take dog aggressive dogs (just not people aggressive). We just keep them in a seperate space on their own(and give them a couple walks a day to stretch their legs). At least at my work there is a fee (15 a night I think?) But that's about the price of two walks so w/e.

In looking for a place I would start by looking at locations with lots of good reviews. Personally I would find somewhere that's a smaller facility. I would not let my dog mix at my work during the day because I feel it isn't run safely; waaaay too many dogs to a pen. Its better now with much smaller groups but I don't trust a lot of the workers who are pretty dog retarded. Ideally you could find a place that organizes small groups that matches dogs by play style (aka not putting shy anxious dogs in with rude lovely puppies)

Anyways, probably gonna end up making a thread about her because who doesn't want more shiba puppy pictures, but my boyfriend and I just got this little lady Saturday:

Thus far, she's wonderful. Loose leash walks like a champ, mostly quiet(occasional shibe fits are had), only a few accidents inside(which were our fault, she would go while we were preparing to take her out). Sleeps through the night at 7.5 weeks. Obsessed with our cats and wants to play with them SO BAD.

She's so perfect :allears:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Souffle posted:

Psychobabble: Your new puppy is adorable! What's her name? :allears:

Aiko! She's really really sweet and likes to be held. She's been just about the perfect puppy

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Please please please post more of her.

I ended up making a thread so I wasn't always spamming this one with pics(which is hard). It is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601666

Bonus pic:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

So much tail floof! :swoon: We have monthly shiba meetings here that I want to take Aiko to once she has all her shots, but I don't think she'd do well because she's the anti-shiba and just wants to greet and play with every dog and hey do you mind if I lick your face and climb all over you? She's never really been around a dog that has given her a stern gently caress Off before (the only time one got close she did some sort of wiggly roll over thing while still trying to lick their faces). It makes me worried but I guess we would probably just keep her lead dragging or something?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Double Plus Good posted:

A couple brought their shiba to the dog park this weekend and it was so much smaller than I had imagined. It really is hard to get a sense of their size from pictures. Their heads seem smaller than other small breeds, which gives them a more proportional look. It was about the size of this random picture I pulled from Google:

But, yeah, it had a >:| expression the whole time and spent most of its time trying to shake off the little poodle-y dog that was jumping all over it. Also the neckbeardy looking teenager who was there kept calling it a "sheebee"

Yeah, they're not supposed to be big dogs. Males are supposed to be 23 lbs ideally(range 20-25), females 17(15-20). They are a bit leggy for their weight, though. Aiko is 4 months as of a couple days ago and she's so gangly and silly looking right now. For example, here's her at 2 and 4 months:

So much leg growth

Still pretty cute though:

:3:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

I was also gonna guess samoyed/chow mix, and that was my boyfriend's guess too. I recommend just saying it's a sammy mix if you ever have to move in to a new place with the dog, though. Chows are on a lot of place's restricted dog list

I hate to see double coated breeds shaved down. All the groomers at my work always look so sad when they have to, but when you're working on commission... :(

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Yeah, Def dyed and dog weirdos had a meltdown about it. Totally gonna do this to my shiba come halloween :3:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

What are Alaskan Klee Kais like as dogs? Are they less of a handful than the bigger sled dog breeds? Are they genetically-suspect disasters like many of the designer poodle mix experiments or similar vanity dogs? Do they have any horrible health issues from being about a third the size of their ancestors? Aggression issues (aside from critter aggression/prey drive, which I already know about)?

My God, they're the most precious things ever. Little bitty 20-pound huskies (and of course, vastly lower space requirements)! :3:

I've met 4 in person, and know 2 pretty well so this is all anecdotal from my experiences. Just like with any designer or mixed breed, it's really hard to tell what their personality is gonna be like, as they're pretty all over the place. The one's I've met seem to be a bit on the timid side overall, though. I absolutely love the one that is at the daycare I work at pretty much daily, but it took a couple months of active effort on my part to get him to warm up to me. That one is pretty lazy but the other one I'm friendly with is more high energy and crazy. You kinda never know what you're gonna get, but overall they seem to have a prim breed personality in being aloof. I like them, though.

Hard to say as far as health issues but I imagine breeding them with consideration for size hasn't been good to their bodies, especially taking them from husky size to mini in 40 odd years. I would expect they'd be prone to at least the issues common with smaller dogs, like luxating patellas. One thing I have noticed between all of the ones I've met has been chronic tear stains of various severity, even if the dog is on medication for it. Also IIRC from reading up on them a while ago, there is no guarantee on which of the 3 sizes(toy mini standard) you'll end up with, and it can be any mix of those in a litter.

So yeah, they're cute(sometimes. Sometimes they come out looking wtf), so if you choose to go that route I recommend researching your breeder very very carefully.

Or you could look at Swedish Vallhunds(at least pictures of them, so cute :3:). Comedy answer: Or just get a shiba. Everyone always thinks mine is a mini husky anyways :argh:.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Black and Tan makes more sense to mistake for a husky, my dog is a red, and looks like this:

Re: temperament: We lucked out, she is an absolute angel and everyone remarks on how sweet she is, especially for a shiba. She's very much the anti shiba, and that's because we went with a breeder that is part of a circle locally that is trying to move away from the lovely parts of their temperament. She's pretty much content with a couple walks a day and then cuddles with us. It was 1 part luck and 2 parts careful breeder selection. Also she doesn't do the screaming thing much, not even when getting bathed. When it does happen it sure it startling though!

Seriously though, if you like wolfy looking dogs, check out swedish vallhunds:

They're like wolf corgis :kimchi:

Also since this thread hasn't been updated in a while, have an Aiko:

Half dog, half dirt monster, post dog park.

Shortly after :3: (sorry for the instagram filter)

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Hi thread, I miss you. More Yuuna(living vicariously through you Ponyfields, they're a dream breed for me), and Goliath pics please.

Cross posting pics from the new puppy thread plus a few more, but this is our recent adoption we named Dorian:

He was found as a stray a couple cities away and ended up here. He had bad mats throughout the back half of his body; they were debating shaving him but, knowing how bad that is for double coated breeds, just cut out the mats and burrs(thank god cause look at that floof). He was super shy and timid with people but loved being around other dogs.

We had been talking about getting a dog for months and I was browsing rescues out of boredom and came across his picture and wanted to meet him instantly. We set up a meeting and the lady prefaced it telling us how he was basically a nervous wreck, was very scared/anxious, and she didn't think he was adoptable yet(he'd been in the rescue about 3 weeks at that point). We came into the meeting area and he came straight up to us for pets and she was shocked. We were basically a done deal since.

Thus far he's adjusting to the house well; he's not crazy about walks on his own so that's something we're going to work on with treats and stuff, and he was panting a lot for the first hour or so when we got to the house but then passed out hard. I've never met a more chill husky in my life*. The rescue people were saying that they normally tell northern breed adopters that they're not good dog park dogs but he's an exception because he loves every dog he meets :3:

*in case it needs saying, we're expecting and prepared for his energy to increase as his acclimates

It's been this for the last 12+ hours (mostly)off and on:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Ponyfields posted:

This is true of all double coated Prim breeds. I now own two Shikoku ken and am thinking of adding a third once the current pupster finishes maturing.

Introducing Hiroki, aka Yuuna's hump toy.

What breeder did you go to? I'm strongly considering one for my next dog to keep this jerk company:

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 3, 2016

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Xun posted:

What breed is he anyway? So fluffy!!

We're not entirely sure, but the rescue had him labeled as a husky(the shelter before that as a malamute). He doesn't act like a husky at all, though, and is content just to sleep all day. Super chill dog. He looks and acts a lot more Mal but is like... Half the size. He's even smaller than most normally looking huskies but full grown. The fluff is deceptive; he's only 33 lbs(admittedly skinny but it's a work in progress). So some kind of mix of some sort. Cute fluffums mix imo. Here's a pic of him next to (allegedly) a tamaskan and a border collie to give a size comparison.

People try to guess his breed all the time and they've ranged from pom/husky to golden/husky, to BC/Husky and a bunch of other things. Bc/husky could almost seem possible if he wasnt so loving chill. :iiam:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Koivunen posted:

He definitely looks more like a malamute than a husky. His face is wide, he's stout, and he's got gorgeous brown malamutey eyes. How old is he? He looks primitive even though he's small, maybe he's something like mal/pom, even though that would be weird. Maybe he's just an extremely small malamute?

A picture of Goliath being happy outdoors. Being an Old Dog is starting to show a little bit but apart from skin tags and bumples and occasional sore hips, he continues to be a very good dog.

Yeah that's how I feel about his appearance. Even his woos are more Mal like than husky's. We jokingly call him our little mini-mal. Someday I'll spring for one of those wisdom panel dna kits even if you have to take them with a grain of salt.

Goliath :kimchi:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

squidtarts posted:

Any tips for helping along coat blow? It's been three weeks and I honestly can't believe this dog isn't completely bald yet.

Last weekend was the day they let the dogs swim in the pool. Jade hated it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meTo49ixiT8

Dude I've got just the thing.
It's a combo shedding comb, under rake comb(which is the combo generally recommended for double coated breeds):
http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=sup...36-catid-100097
Sorry about the long link but :effort:

It's a life saver for double coated breeds(hard to see from pic but the rake is at the base of the slicker). Saves sooo much time.

Thread is quiet, have a Dor in his usual state:

Everyone post more adorable shitlord prim

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

^^^ Sounds like you made the right choice Hdip, and I applaud you for it. Too many owners are willing to overlook their dogs bad behaviors at the dog park as "they're just playing :downs:".

Cless Alvein posted:

I wish I could get a second husky or other prim breed, but sadly Kiya is fairly dog aggressive. Especially towards other huskies. No idea why they set her off so much.

I only know of two dogs she actively likes and plays with. They're both male pit bulls. She came from a rescue after previous owners had to give up due to moving. They had another dog she grew up with. Guessing it was a pit bull based on her love for them.

Nobody will believe me when I say she is 8
Everyone assumes she is a puppy because she tops out at ~38lbs. Guess people are used to the super huge huskies or just confusing malamutes and huskies.

She's kinda a whore. Will spread her legs for anybody.

Also super interested in my skink. Has tried to take a nibble a couple times. Only reptile that she cares about. Probably because it is big enough for her to notice it actually exists. Also Buttercup totally bit her nose when he was an angry youngster.

Dorian is the same way, with people thinking he's still a puppy, when he is as far as the vets can tell, 4 years old and about 32 lbs. Here's him next to his standard poodle friend for comparison:

Not the best pic, but it's hard to get comparison pics of him sometimes.

Here's some more pics, him with his daycare buddy, the Malamute Brenna:

Brenna, Stella(the Norwegian Elkhound! Never met one before), and him:

and a bonus one of Brenna, who was my favorite work dog:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Noooo Goliath has to live forever :saddowns:. I've been following your adoption and updates from the start. Hang in their big guy.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

PST posted:

On the negative side, 3 different dogs attacking my Malamute, Mishka, in the past six months has made him go from absolutely loving every dog he encounters, to that classic Mal same-sex aggression. At least in his case he only shows it towards dogs that bark/growl at him first or get right in his face as their first encounter. Also on the negative, I had to go away and he went into a new kennel which seemed awesome. And then on picking him up they told me he was 'red' as their recently painted red floors had lifted all the paint onto Mishka's fur, but that they'd tried to bathe him, and left him soaking wet for 2 days. He's now on antibiotics and steroid tablets because of the hot spots they caused and is panting a lot and generally not enjoying life (especially as we have a mini heatwave here).

On the other, 100 yards from my house is his best buddy in the world, a small Husky who was a rescue and thinks Mishka is the best thing in the world. He (Ice) even tries to give Mishka his toys when they have playdates and is all 'mi casa su casa' when Mishka eats from his dog bowl.

Vicious attack dog

Revenge!

Holy poo poo. PLEASE leave negative reviews explaining this situation on yelp, Google, the businesses fb, etc. Literally everywhere. That is insane. I can't imagine a situation where that should have been able to happen, and I've worked in 3 boarding kennels over 3 years, one of which was doing a massive remodel. We never had anything like that happen re: paint "lifting" onto the dogs.

As far as the budding dog aggression goes, how is he meeting these dogs? If it's on leash, I would just avoid on leash greetings. My husky dude gets super excited and he's the most dog friendly thing ever, but I still will cross the street or at least hurry past when we see other dogs because I don't want him to start having dog aggression issues. If it's at dog parks, time to stop going imo and just stick with his buddies for play dates so it doesn't get worse. If it's randos off leash running up? Idk carry a big hittin' stick.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

That's awful :(. She was beautiful, sorry for your loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

That basenji mix is the cuteness :kimchi:

Hey thread, enjoy this picture of my husky dude Dorian at a wedding a couple weeks ago

So regal

• Locked thread