Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
War Z is legitimately an excellent movie and the fact that internet nerds can't get over 'it's not just a remake of the book!!!' is really sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Real glad Insidious 2 is great, 1 is one of my favorite horror movies too and the review sounds right up my alley. Gonna get some friends and go see that soon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

I think it's probably worth noting that in the original Peabody and Sherman cartoon, John Phillip Holland couldn't figure out how to build a working submarine because the version he had just flew around in the air instead of going underwater properly. Every episode was a variation on that joke with a different historical character. I have absolutely no idea how they were able to get bootstrapping and gay adoption allegories out of that. Maybe they read the TV Tropes page for inspiration.

Seriously when I was little my dad raised me on Rocky and Bullwinkle poo poo, and all the Peabody gags were just 'haha this guy is silly, here's a historical tidbit about him, Peabody helped him the end', how on earth do you take that and make 'man if you think about it the French Revolution was real dumb and also gay dads are real dads too' is beyond me. It was on my 'maybe I'll get it on Netflix' list before but man do I not have any desire to even do that.

Also your review of Nymphomaniac was interesting, not interesting enough to make me give a crap about it yet, but better than most things I've seen about it that just focus on what a shithead LaBouf is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
God how sad is the person that Hawkman is wish fulfillment for?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Schwarzwald posted:

Reading the Godzilla review felt like a validation of my greatest fears.

Frontpage movie reviews of big films, especially nerd loved ones, are basically The Contrarian Voice, don't let it validate fears.

e: to be clear not really saying 'contrarian voice' is a bad thing. I think most of them usually wind up raising at least a few good points.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 19, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My favorite part of the Redline review was when he just went full on 'THIS SHOULD BE BANNED' multiple times because a robot had tits or something. Like, the end of the review turned into nearly a passionate plea for a lynch mob to form or something. We have to STOP these anime racers before they can strike again!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

well, raspy trashfucker, since you asked, nothing bothers me about it.

Drag doesn't bother me in the slightest when it's done respectfully. The example in this movie makes drag look to be a bad thing and that those who do it are tricksters and hucksters looking merely to fool. In most cases this is not true. Transvestites and all people of trans lifestyles should not be the butt of a joke, but this movie took the cheap way out and made humor at their expense.

Thanks for your question, raspy trashfucker.

I legit want to know if you actually think any kid seeing this will go "wow the bad guy wore a dress...every filthy tranny is out to trick and swindle me!" Like, is this just a thing where we need a reason to smugly sneer at the only kids movie studio to make a film last year with a gay character at all, let alone one posed as a totally normal run of the mill dude who happened to like dudes for not REALLY being progressive or what?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Who tattled on the thread being mean?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ralp posted:

Well, the rule doesn't apply to only the writers whom you think are good or funny, I'm afraid. The forum rules as well as the front page writer selections are up to Lowtax, so if you think either should be changed, please email him, webmaster@somethingawful.com instead of insulting the writing staff.

I legitimately don't understand where the harassment was in this thread, can you point it out directly so we know what to avoid?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Nah, he just whines and spouts gibberish from a teenager's half-assed theory of comedy. I guess it's kinda funny, in a "kid with the helmet can't open his juice box" way.

But back to the topic of movie reviews: Isn't caring about stuff the worst, you guys? And having thoughts and opinions? And like, expressing them? As if it's a reviewer's job to tell people what they thought of the movie they saw, amirite?

It's weird, no one's calling for his 'job' or anything, no one's demanding he never write again, people just disagree with a thing he said and for some reason it's being treated like this thread mailed poop to his house with a note reading "YOU" stapled to it or something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The essence of the criticism of the criticism that has been ongoing, at least on my part, is that it is bad. It is not good. It is really not very informative. It is not that it is bad to "care".

If you actually legitimately care about film, there is a good chance you do not post about it on this web site, because if you look at the movie forum (or the book forum, etc) you see that largely there's an incredible fixation on really childish products (and they are usually products rather than films) with a corresponding lack of taste. I'm sure it's an idea that's unfamiliar to you, as a grown man who wants to surgically replace his dick and balls with a coin operated motorised Donald Duck ride who is about 3 wispy chin hairs away from being a convicted rapist, but when criticism is coming from a really juvenile place about a less-juvenile subject it can seem very superficial and difficult to respect. Like when they allow kids to do news reports on the actual news.

This is one side of the coin here. Some of the reviewers present as, essentially, children of varying extreme largeness. But even if you read what they have to say about children's movies, it's still incredibly basic analysis of a film seen through a lens of a culture who are obsessed with identity politics in all things.

For example, if you read this week's review of The Boxtrolls, all you will learn is:

- The reviewer liked Coraline and Paranorman, but this film has a worse story
- There are trolls who wear boxes, also there are two characters who have names
- The film is nominally about the trolls who wear boxes, however it focuses on one of them who isn't REALLY a troll, but is actually a boy. This is a "big problem".
- The villain is avaristic and ugly. He pretends to be a woman, this is also a big problem, but we're not told why. Just that tumblr dislikes that and they're right to do so.
- The animation is good, kids will like it.

The only thing gleaned from this review that you won't get from the trailer is a number score and at some point a man wears a dress. It's an 800 word sideways glance at a movie and it really does not do a good job reviewing it outside of conveying the general sentiment that it's sort of not bad. I don't respect this, and I don't much care what this person has to say about other movies especially if they're more complicated than this movie for 6-year-olds.

On top of which the reviews are completely joyless, on a comedy web site. It's not just that it's really out of place, it's poorly executed in its own right. I'm not trying to illegally troll or insult them so please do not electronically beat me up, but I don't think they're cut out for this.

Thank you for reading this wearying post. As a reward, here is a picture of the cast of Duck Tales taking public transport so you can finally blast the biggest load of your life you mewling piece of poo poo idiot

You're a good person

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey now don't scare him off, we need to encourage as much comic book movie discussion as possible from Current Releases because there's nothing funnier than when they spend half the review stroking their chins going 'hrm yes but is scene where Captain America stands up not a direct metaphor for the holocaust?' or write entire reviews devoted to the idea of Spider-Man being about Peter getting cucked.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That's actually one post.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hodgepodge posted:

Wow, leftist analysis really gets under your skin, eh?

Guess I'll use it more often then :dance:

Ok I'm going to try to honestly explain the problem with this poo poo.

This is the most tepid, boring, 'leftist analysis' I've ever seen of media. Like, let's not even go into the ones so pointlessly hidden behind a lovely smoke screen (I legit have no clue what Gone Girl's review was even saying, I read it twice and I guess the girlfriend lies about rape in it or something and he's portrayed as abusive?), the 'leftist' view presented by these reviews always fills a set number of the world's most generic leftist observations about society possible:

- The military is in the movie and the good guys, wow way to support the military industrial complex.

- The military is in the movie and the bad guys, wow way to absolve soldiers of any guilt by making their commanders the real villains.

- A children's movie has literally any joke that I view as sexist, trying to teach em misogyny young Hollywood.

- A children's movie has no offensive jokes but has a bigger social message attached, gee I dunno, wasn't this a little hamfisted? Should we really be praising such a weak display? Also let me find a minor quibble to turn into a major flaw that invalidates it.

- A children's movie has no offensive jokes and no bigger message, wow way to treat kids like idiots, I as a grown man had no fun at this movie for children. This is why our kids' creativity is dying.

- A super hero movie exists at all, this is actually a wildcard, you can just slap whatever you want on here and be called brilliant. Iron Man was about allowing the wealthy to control the world, The Avengers was jingoistic 9/11 imagery, Spider-Man is about Peter Parker trying to own a woman! As long as you make the point be that the movie is actually hella regressive and basically only for bad people by bad people.

Then sprinkle in the world's laziest race/gender theory that always just boils down to 'wow perhaps this movie reveals the bigotry in society by having a minority in it that isn't a perfect character?' or just plain obtuse 'this comedy movie involved a scene where a woman was acting crazy, wow way to say all women are hysterical whores movie'.

My point is this is lefist media criticism in the same way going 'woah, hosed up that the black power ranger wears black armor and the Asian one wears yellow, huh?' and nodding smugly is. You're not actually SAYING anything, you're pointing at a thing, saying 'this is bad' and then holding your hands up for applause at your brilliant insight in our modern world.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chilled Cap posted:

When I posted the Planes review, one of you defended Current Releases by pointing out that Ian Maddison no longer writes for the column (because he was so humorless that the innocuous g0m review trolled him into quitting, lol forever), but the truth is that all of the reviewers are completely indistinguishable from each other. They all seem to get mad about the same perceived identity politics missteps regardless of the content of the movie they are reviewing; I honestly doubt they disagree about one single political position between them.

I think this actually is what has been bugging me most lately about the reviews. I literally can't tell anyone apart except I think one of them uses an overwrought time traveler gimmick? Like, I don't know what the point of having a fairly large reviewer pool is if everyone writes in the same way, has the same opinions, and more or less views the world and society that the films are reflecting the same way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zen death robot posted:

The review seems to basically place the blame at David Fincher's feet, and if you knew nothing else about the movie you might think he came up with the material himself.

Yea I legit didn't know it was a book until this thread pointed it out. That's always the sign of a quality review, get so focused on making GBS threads on the Panic Room guy (MY MORTAL FOE) you don't actually say things about the movie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Someone just needs to sit the internet down and explain that Death of the Author is an interesting thought exercise not divine law.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Black Bones posted:

Tatum Girlparts, you understood the Gone Girl thing correctly. So did I, and I haven't seen the film nor am I interested in doing so. It's one thing to fear being mislead by the reviewers, but don't you even trust yourself?

So to be clear because I was able to gleam two plot elements from the coy little 'tee hee I'll write about a woman asking for advice about an abusive boyfriend and she'll get an answer of 'stay with him' instead of a real one' level humor it was a successful review? Because my point was that it wasn't a successful review because it was so far up its own gimmick's rear end it didn't actually SAY anything. I'm sorry if this wasn't clear.

Like, what does it actually say? Is the writer actually implying that by having an abusive character in a movie (and now I have to go on trailers I've seen rather than an actual reviewer who's seen the movie, but I think part of the point of the movie is to show the gray area in these spouse vanishing cases and about how easily manipulated people can be) the movie is endorsing staying with your abuser somehow? I've learned nothing about this movie other than 'maybe the male lead smacks her?' How much of that joke answer to the Dear Abby column is a persona and how much is them talking about the movie? Gee if only there was an easier way to do reviews, but as the great Siskel and Ebert said, the only way to review a movie is by doing a lovely parody of an advice column. I still remember Ebert's hilarious spoof of a household tips segment when reviewing Jurassic Park.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wait poo poo I just replied to the crazy guy who thought the jungle book would be good if it was seen as a kinda racist 'what if all the animals are stand-ins for black people wink wink' thing. Ya got me, Black Bones, ya got me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Black Bones posted:

'Reading' only looks difficult friends, it's actually pretty easy once you get some practice at it. Good luck!

People don't read your posts because they literally lack the ability, it's because you never have anything worth reading to say. Like, all I read in your post was where you quoted me and it was real dumb, I can't imagine how people who read the entire one felt.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PaulMorel posted:

I don't think that's possible. I never saw anything funny coming from radicals and fundamentalists.

Ever read Marx's personal writings? Pretty loving hilarious.

Oh, poo poo, are we talking INTENTIONALLY funny?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If you seriously think that this is what people hate about Professor Clumsy, you're a loving idiot.

This is legitimately the worst part of this 'argument'. Literally no one is saying 'you can't look at messages in children's media' or even 'you can't take issue with messages in children's media'. Like Mars Needs Moms, I totally agreed that that poo poo sounded real dumb and probably sent a lot of wrong messages about girls and all to kids. I doubt little Timmy will go from normal kid to fedora'd MRA if he watches it, but it's not a great message to send regardless. There's a conversation there to be had, you can discuss if the message of motherhood and all is empowering to young girls who actually enjoy that stuff or regressive for ones who don't. It's probably a dumb conversation, but it can be done.

The issue is when you take issue with a movie because 'this plane is too sexy, MISOGYNY!' there's no conversation to be had there, literally no one looks at a plane and goes 'yea, a sexy object, much like a woman'. You're just inventing people to be mad at.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I will if no one else will. Kids don't know that the cats in American Tale are communists or the roach was a jew. They have no frame of reference and are not smart enough to appreciate it had they. They also LOVE to be pandered to.

But those are authorial intent issues, aren't they? That's a good bit different than 'look at those tail flaps moving, that's CLEARLY a sign I should have a boner for this plane, THOSE PERVERTS!'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What I'm trying to say is the writer of American Tale intending cats to be stand ins for soviet oppressors was probably a fairly big aspect of the point in his mind, but wiggling tail flaps is just the CR writer trying to justify why the lady plane gave him a boner.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I've already posted this elsewhere, but I might as well put it here too:

What is this from?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

little munchkin posted:

there are boy planes and girl planes and only the girl ones are sexy

A tailflap is a tailflap when you get right down to it, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That Pacific Rim review was literally the most humorless thing I've ever read.

quote:

Elsewhere, logistical problems in the premise keep piling up. We're told that one jaeger contains "fifty diesel engines in a single muscle strand." Really? After years of war, with everyone hiding from the giant monsters that keep crawling out of the loving ocean to play real-world Rampage every few days, where are they getting the oil? Why does every city appear as if it's never been wrecked by robots and monsters before? Such concerns are beyond a movie whose tagline is "go big or go extinct."

And another thing! In Godzilla: King of Monsters he clearly wrecks much of Tokyo's industrial and commercial areas, such an act would surely cripple the Japanese economy, yet in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla everything seems fine??? Boy, I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Can you guys imagine having so little respect for women that they aren't allowed to be villans?

It really does read as some 'look we all KNOW women are evil, stop showing it so much already!' kinda thing when it keeps happening over and over, doesn't it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Remember when Captain America stood up? Yea that was totally an insult to holocaust victims somehow.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Current Releases: gently caress it, let's get meta.

Also so you'll stop being pissy that people ignored your dumb post, you realize if your joke is done in the exact same style as the average handwringing 'I have to say this superhero movie is actually fascist somehow' trend CR does, and is buried in a bunch of unironic 'The Avengers? More like trust the military industrial complex to keep you safe RIGHT SHEEPLE?!' poo poo maybe it's a bad joke?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Y-Hat posted:

Kudos for not reviewing Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day this week. None of us would have wanted to see what kind of bizarre subtext you could poo poo out of that particular kids' movie.

Oh wow a white middle class boy had a 'terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day', I guess they're saying that this day was worse than A RAPE VICTIM'S???

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Y-Hat posted:

I read a review of the movie and apparently the dad is unemployed and looking for work, while the mom is the stressed-out breadwinner. So going by Current Releases Logic (which I hope I never have to use again) this is a positive development.

The mom is stressed out? So this movie is saying women can't handle work like a man can? Wow Disney way to stick to the old regressive messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Black Bones posted:

Why not? There are already reviews of video games and other nerd stuff, why should new movies be exempt?

There have been some dumb video game articles too but most of them have been mainly a joke article or a kinda nicely written thing like they did for Divinity where it was just 'here's some stupid poo poo this game let me do, that's cool, I like that games let me do stupid poo poo' and then sentence long reviews with an arbitrary score that mainly serve to show 'is this good or bad'.

Like this is the closest that the video game dude came to a serious review:

quote:

With the orc incapacitated I carefully a barrel full of poison directly in front of him. He couldn't move, but he was surely able to see what was coming. I opted to pass on my combat turns to let the situation sink in. When the orc stood back up I used an electric spell to charge the puddle of blood at his feet, stunning him again.

As luck had it, a torch had been planted in the sand. A few puddles of oil soon became a rivulet bridging the poison barrel to the torch.

After the fight I felt a little guilty. My AI companion wanted to have a chat about what had just occurred. Uh oh. Was she upset about my actions? No. She wanted to congratulate me for handling the fight so well. It renewed her confidence in our ability to take the fight to evil.

10/10

• Locked thread