Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Senior Woodchuck posted:

IT works for me, but I wish it hadn't

Looking back, The Giver as a book had some strong right-wing undertones (or flat-out overtones, like the bit where Jonas's dad literally kills a newborn baby and that's how you know this society is EVIL). It looks like the movie sorta kept those, but also sanitized some of it away.

Book: Killing a newborn baby by injecting poison into its skull then dumping it in the garbage is kinda bad.

To Senior Woodchuck = Its actually good. Resist the Evil Right Wing overtones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

TrixRabbi posted:

The real problem with The Boxtrolls isn't some cliche jokes about a drag show, it's that it fails to follow through on it's revolutionary narrative. It's a story about systemic oppression but it's main villain, Archibald Snatcher, is merely the symptom of this system, not the cause. He is driven to madness by his desire to belong to the exclusive cheese-eating, bourgeois, white hat society. He thinks that by killing all the boxtrolls, who have been forced underground by this society, he will belong and become a part of the elite. Even though the very cheese he dreams of eating literally poisons him.

Without absolving him of his genocidal actions, Archibald is himself a victim of capitalism. But his defeat is painted as a grand victory. When in actuality the system that created him is still in place, only that the boxtrolls are now participating in it.

Although the propaganda drag show was pretty funny and I don't get why it's offensive.

Oh for sure

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Chilled Cap posted:

lol. every single episode of the podcast has 0

Hey you got to record 81+ episodes to really break into the '2 Grown Men talk about Cartoon Movies' racket.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Some Guy TT posted:

All right, those of you hate the message politics of these reviews- what words should be used for describing movies with no apparent sense of self-awareness as to how obnoxious their internal politics are? Aside from FYAD of course.

The point that you are trying so hard not to understand is that the movie reviews for a comedy website should be funny. Theres no FYAD agenda. People responded overwhelmingly positively to goms funny review. Because it was funny, on the comedy website they were reading for comedy.

Tritucum Guzzller said it 1000x better but even looking at the movie reviews divorced from the idea that they should be funny is that my 13 year old cousin comprehends movies better than these first year polisci kids (i hope thats what they are because fuckin lol if they are adults).

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 5, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
And to think this guy gets banned and probated on a constant basis for funny contributions like this. Kind of hosed up imo.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
*tips hat

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Can you guys imagine having so little respect for women that they aren't allowed to be villans?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
If there is an American Flag in the movie thats basically .78 Hitlers

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I bet that guy's TA gave him a B+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Why the hell is this piece of poo poo on the front page of a comedy website. Why. What the gently caress, Lowtax. Kick these worthless pisstards out already.

Its free (or drat close to it) labor.

• Locked thread