Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

crispix posted:

Channel 4 is having one if its funny spells, seems. Scared of the Dark and Naked Education are admirably experimental but nonetheless terrible television

I find it very confusing that somebody out there is determined for Danny Dyer to be an A-List television host, despite the fact that he looks and sounds like complete poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

That's my point; I don't find him "interesting and charismatic" at all, I don't think time has been at all kind to him. He looks like complete poo poo on camera, especially under studio lights, and his voice is awful.

I respect that he's leaned into his persona and parlayed his status into a new career, I just don't get the appeal.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Race Across The World has a great concept and actually pretty exceptional production values, every episode looks gorgeous but yeah. At a certain point it just reminds me of those Youtube "get across place with no money" challenges where they end up asking their followers for lifts, supplies, crashpads and donations. No doubt a significant portion of the people who offer assistance do so for the chance to be on tv too.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm watching Annika, new murder show from the Beeb. They tried to do a scandi noir with the budget of Death in Paradise. Same ancient joke book for the comic relief beats too.

We got about seven minutes in, the Fleabag-esque dialogue to the camera serves literally no purpose at all and is annoying as gently caress. Nicola Walker is usually dependable but is terrible in it, what accent is she trying to do?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

New Buzzcocks as previously intimated is absolutely fine. Greg Davies is gold and automatically elevates anything he's involved with, and this is no exception. There is little to no reason for DMC or Fielding to be involved, let Jamali Maddox be a permanent captain instead of this weird permanent guest thing they're doing then find some equally chaotic comedian or music figure to be the captain for the other team.

And to go against the grain, panel shows for me peaked with early oughts Buzzcocks at the tailend of Lamarr's time hosting leading into Amstell's earlier episodes, the anarchy of the later Lamarr episodes is some of the funniest material the BBC has ever put to film and I don't think it's possible to match that kind of energy.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Szmitten posted:

I personally don't understand his post-loving with Manuel on the radio career come existence.

Obviously the whole show is dark as gently caress but the segments with his Radio 2 show were incomprehensible to me, how in the world was that ever allowed to happen and on Radio 2 of all the stations?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

stev posted:

From the doc it seems like they'd just prerecord the show and zero people with any editorial authority would actually listen to it before putting it on air. Utterly bizarre.

I knew that was the case with the infamous Ross episode but not that it was what they always did

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I remember thinking at the time that yeah, making Brand and Ross public enemy #1 for weeks was an overreaction but nobody seemed to talk about how loving gross their behaviour was in the first place. The show being pre-recorded, and them presumably expecting the content to be edited before it broadcast, does explain (if not condone) the incident a little.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

thehustler posted:

To be fair other than Jim Howick (mostly because he's done so many other things) I am struggling to remember any of them (other than Charlotte and Kiell). They're just "The Horrible Histories guys".

Lol I came in to say the same thing. Love those guys and everything they do, can't name a single one of them without help apart from Jim Howick and Matthew Baynton.

Ghosts loving owns, the US version is surprisingly good as well.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I cannot get along with the decision to not only make Saville an on-screen presence in that show, but also have him played by loving Steve Coogan of all the people on this planet.

Like, if you were ever going to do this, and even that merits an extensive discussion, I'd think the only decent way to go about it would be to 100% focus on the victims and cover-up, and have Saville be an occasionally referred to and named but never seen presence. This is clearly Coogan attempting to branch further into dramatic work and it's gross as gently caress, and looks like something from Dead Ringers.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I doubt you'll ever get a really in-depth, mainstream look at the case. It would mean questioning institutions and individuals who are still in power and wildly popular and certainly knew more than they have let on.

Yeah this is where I am with the whole thing. Nobody wants to look any deeper than what was made public during the enquiry as there isn't a single strand of the British establishment that isn't implicated in some way, and those who are still alive are, at the very best, extraordinarily litigious.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Fatty posted:

Don't think it got mentioned at the time, but The Sixth Commandment on iPlayer was a storming bit of true-crime drama. Obviously a less well known case and kind of lacks the ick of the Beeb cashing in on their own scandal.

+1. Timothy Spall is incredible in it, and does a great job of pitching the killer as a 100% piece of poo poo but it's still completely understandable how a powerful personality like that both draws in the weaker personalities and intimidates the stronger personalities into not saying or doing anything.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I can't stand Jack Whitehall, but he's genuinely great in season two of The Afterparty

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

His worst stuff is the shows he does with his dad, where they’re both insufferably posh together. His dad always comes across as genuinely unpleasant.

"Incredibly rich celebrity goes on an all-expenses paid holiday with one or both of their parents" as a genre is a blight on humanity and a sad sign of how far our culture has fallen, I genuinely will never understand what anyone gets out of it

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Also, thanks for reminding me that there was a second series of The Afterparty. First one was good fun.

I preferred the second season to the first, mainly because the mystery feels a lot better plotted and intracate, plus Zach Woods is fantastic in it.

Sadly, Apple+ have cancelled it :(

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I think the worst non-British actor doing a British accent I've seen was that Netflix show that Michael C Hall was randomly in a few years ago. Ostensibly set in London despite it clearly being filmed in Manchester and Liverpool, and Hall sounded like a street urchin from an amdram Dickens production.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

INN is one of those wonderful things that comes around every once in a while where at its best it's phenomenal, and at its worst it's still entertaining. Twelve Days of Christine is probably one of my favourite episodes of television in history.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

That live episode they did where they replay A Quiet Night In but then a gremlin is launching itself at the patio door and it suddenly cuts away is legit up there with the most scared I've ever been by fictitious media

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Been in a big cop/detective/police procedural/crime mystery kick this month.

I have watched this past month or so
Life on Mars S1,2
Line of Duty S1,2,3
Shetland S1
Unforgotten S1,2
The Tunnel S1,2
Chelsea Detective S1,2
And Then There Were None
The Capture S1, 2
Got few seasons left of some of the shows. And Happy Valley in the queue as well

Tried watching Dalgliesh and Vienna Blood and didn't care for them.
I've watched Broadchurch, Inside Man, The Fall, Luther, Des all in the past

Any shows I'm missing that I should watch?

Bodies on Netflix. We watched the first episode last night, the premise is completely mental and the dialogue is cringeworthy but it's being sold very well by a great cast.

vv Blue Lights is a good shout. It takes a few episodes to get going but is pretty great once it does.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 20, 2023

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

goatface posted:

And Cracker.

Oh shiiiit, this is a big +1 from me. Robbie Coltrane as Cracker is one of my favourite tv performances ever, even if each individual story tends to be hit-and-miss.

"To Be A Somebody", the infamous three-parter with Robert Carlyle, is a masterpiece.

I'll throw in a slightly off-colour recommendation: Murder in Successville. In addition to being pant-pissingly funny at its best, the mysteries are genuinely well-written.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Bogmonster posted:

That episode of Murder in Successville with Chris Kamara turning to Tom Davis and just saying 'hey'.....while holding up some straw he had found, while Tom Davis struggles not to giggle. Yeah, that was good.

There have been few things funnier than the scene in the very first episode where Davis is feeding Jamie Laing lines via an earpiece.

Tom Davis in general is one of my favourite people, I hope he conquers the world.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

Speaking of are there any decent improve planel game shows on anymore? Whats filling the whose line is it anyway void these days? If it does exist please say paul merton isnt involved.

Not that I'm aware of, sadly. I'm a big improv fan myself and its absence on tv since Whose Line and Thank God You're Here makes me sad.

Mischief Theatre (The Goes Wrong Show) came from an improv background and did daily livestreams of their Movie Night improv shows during lockdown which often proved to be the highlight of my week during that particularly lovely time, there's several clips and whole episodes available on Youtube if you're desparate.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Boat Story on the Iplayer is really good. Both leads are fantastic, the villains are genuinely scary, the on-location shooting is gorgeous and more than anything it has a great sense of humour.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

The trailers did it a disservice then, it didn’t look like much of anything.

Oh yeah, definitely looked like Generic UK Prestige Small-Town Drama #6184 in the trailers, but have been very pleasantly surprised. It's very Fargo-esque, and I am not capable of greater praise.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

crispix posted:

i thought it was a nice enough ending for the show for the most part but I am really not a fan of and heeeeerrrreeeeeeeeeeeee's the future!!!!!! endings, six feet under being the worst offender of all time - it always just feels naff

It's funny you should say that because The Guardian's interview with the Horrible Histories troupe gave away (with the troupe's permission) that there would be flashforwards to the future, and I figured that they would do a full SFU-alike where you see each ghost getting "sucked off" separately across the future. I was a fan of the finale in general but the ultimate fate of the ghosts - it's either that they're permanently consigned to a single room, or that they have to spend all of their time dodging the guests at the house because it causes ghosts pain to be passed through - felt a little mean-spirited

Rosie Jones chat: She seems like a very funny and thoroughly awesome human being, and I've heard nothing but good things about her stand-up, so it's a shame that she's become a mainstay of panel shows where she definitely cannot play to her strengths. I do think the current generation of panel show superstars seem like a uniformly sound bunch, and it probably speaks volumes how highly they regard her. Twitter/X becomes a complete binfire whenever she makes an appearance, which is very sad and frustrating.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Bogmonster posted:

It's Netflix but has anyone watched The Gentlemen series? Great slice of Guy Ritchie and better than the film (which I also enjoyed). Also made me realise Theo James is British as I only knew him from The White Lotus.

It's a pretty good show, yeah. Theo James, Kaya Scodelario and Daniel Ings are all amazing in it and I'm finding it a lot easier to follow and engage with than the film.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

It's nice seeing Vinnie Jones playing somewhat against type but he hasn't gotten an awful lot to do

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Baby Reindeer is amazing and deserves all the plaudits it's getting. I knew nothing about it going in apart from the basic premise of a woman stalking a comedian, so if you're like me I highly recommend going in as blind as possible as it goes in directions I never would have seen coming. Richard Gadd is pretty astonishing and I hope this opens a lot of doors for him.

It goes from excellent to sublime storytelling when it introduces the comedy producer who groomed Donny, is sympathetic towards Martha without ever condoning her actions and the final thesis of the piece is that Donny has more in common with Martha than he would ever want to admit, and ends the story knowing that he could have ended up just like her in different circumstances

It is depressingly inevitable that the real-life Martha has been doxxed, though. Anyone who watches Baby Reindeer and comes away believing that they're in any way justified in bringing public attention to the real-life woman who inspired Martha is either a scumbag or has disastrous media literacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

thehustler posted:

Late Night Lycett is unhinged and I love it.

Lycett is definitely my favourite of the panel show circuit, I've seen both his arena show and his warm-ups that he does at Glee Club in Birmingham and he's consistently great.

In addition to how unhinged LNL is, it's heartwarming especially considering recent events how he uses it to showcase Birmingham as a city, the lesser-seen talent within it and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Every episode has made me belly-laugh, which is a very rare thing.