Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Daius posted:

Yeah, several decades ago.

There are some good modern episodes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah my mum's upstairs neighbour was a student flat, the landlord kicked the students out over the summer and was making an absolute fortune renting it out to festival types. Thousands for your bog standard shabbily furnished tenement student flat. Some theatre group stayed there one year and had a party and puked out the window into my mum's garden.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I thought penny dreadful was awful.

Better or worse than the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie? I'm still tempted to watch it.

PriorMarcus posted:

Looking online it seems like the average train cost is about about £25 return, does that seem about right?

What about bus travel times? Sorry to ask lots of questions.

Buses are very regular, you can get a Citylink or a Megabus from Buchanan Street bus station to St Andrews Square very easily. That's what I did when I was a student living in Glasgow returning home to visit. Significantly cheaper than the train and not much longer a journey.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Give it a watch man, I was really looking forward to it but was hugely disappointed. Could be just me though.

I will. I was pretty much sold on it just because of Timothy Dalton and Eva Green.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I liked Penny Dreadful, but yeah jesus christ that accent is so terrible. And it's not like her character particularly needs to be Irish, couldn't they just let her use her real accent?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Whorelord posted:

ukmt is a cancer

man doesn't totally support the enshringing of people's republic of great britian

"loving TORY SCUM ACAB gently caress WHY AM I SO POOR"

Hahaha ah yes AV, that policy of well known Communist firebrands, the Liberal Democrats.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Whorelord posted:

yeah but i'm guessing people in ukmt supported it

dont get me wrong i did too but somehow rik mayall not supporting it is enough for people to go "gently caress him" in some people's eyes? weird bastards

So you are getting angry at what you assume people in a thread would think? Sounds reasonable.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Is it time for a new thread title yet? Piers is so old hat and irrelevant, mentioning him in any context is like a bit from one of those "I love the 90's" programmes.

Didn't the yanks get rid of him? The thread title is probably just in time for his triumphant return to British televsion, now that the whole phone hacking thing has been swept under the carpet.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Anyone been watching The Honourable Woman? I loved the Shadow Line (by the same writer/director) so was looking forward to it, and have just realised I completely forgot it was on, and it's now three episodes in.

And iPlayer seems to be hosed for some reason.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'd love to read some of the tabloid criticism of Ghostwatch. Looking at wikipedia, a couple of kids supposedly got PTSD from watching it, and one 18 year old with learning difficulties killed himself because his pipes were making noises after the show and he thought the ghosts were after him.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I didn't seek them out despite loving the Discworld books when I was younger since I assumed any Sky original programming would be terrible. Sounds like I made the right choice.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

pentyne posted:

Fair enough.

Also lol there's a plot where a US young earth creationist church buys a "share" in the school and starts pushing anti-Darwin schooling and the US's brand of evangelical religion.

I know the US's fascination with creationism and anti-evolution is well known, but I thought that the rest of the world roundly mocked that attribute and some US megachurch trying to push it in a European country would get laughed out of town.

Unlike the U.S., that sort of thing is definitely a small minority view. But it does exist. Private religious schools are a thing.

A history teacher friend of mine had one on his teacher training course- she asked if she could excuse herself from teaching the prehistoric Scotland module, on the grounds that it didn't happen because the earth is only 6000 years old...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

tsob posted:

Is Antartica that much more difficult to navigate and survive than the Artic? It would seem if they could drive to the North Pole, they could conceivably drive to the South - I've no idea of what the differences in terrain or environmental conditions there would be though, so perhaps not.

I'm no geographer but I think the arctic is just ice but antarctica has mountains and poo poo.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Chortle is just a comedy guide. Sort of like the British Comedy Guide, but slightly worse.

http://www.offthekerb.co.uk/

This is the agency. If you're a comedian on TV, chances are good you're represented by this agency.

So is that the agency owned by Jack Whitehall's parents?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Not unless his father has gained supernatural powers that enabled him to humously change his own name and exist as the very much alive Michael Whitehall at the same time.

I'm far too sleep deprived to understand this post. So that's a no?

The Big Taff Man posted:

Ive decided I really like Jack Whitehall btw

I used to hate him but now I am indifferent to him.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Whorelord posted:

bring back doug stanhope from whatever alcohol soaked hole he's fallen down

I think it was wise of Brooker to not ask libertarians their political opinions.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

The new culture sec said that his idea of public service broadcasting was documentaries nobody will watch, so BBC4 should be good.

Well in the past he has said he opposes the license fee, so they won't have any money to make documentaries nobody will watch, unless they have adverts.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

corn in the fridge posted:

i think you missed the point of my post

What was the point of your post?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

corn in the fridge posted:

what im saying is its cool to take complex social issues and boil them down to a bunch of hip buzzwords and witty one liners without actually providing a plan of action for change for the entertainment of a bunch of middle class goobers who are in no way affected by said social issues so they can nod their heads sagely and go home feeling good about themselves and maybe have something intelligent sounding to say to their coworkers the following day

Yeah I agree, those blacks need to either come up with a plan to solve racism forever, or they should shut the gently caress up about it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Hasn't Doctor Who had like, 3 or 4 producers as Moffat keeps running them off? But, you know, support the beeb unless you're a tory, to my mind.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TheHoodedClaw posted:

And the first episode is hosted by Jeremy Clarkson.

I'm sure the pigfuckers best friend and neighbour will give him a real hard time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I haven't used it since they started requiring a login, but yeah it is impressive how 4od just seems to get worse and worse.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

I don't think it requires a login any more. My account got deleted after not using it (and about 6 emails warning me to log in lest I lose the account) but I've watched this series of Peep Show just fine.

Ah good I might even use it again. I did create an account but it didn't work for whatever reason so I just gave up.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Complaining about the English being a bunch of self destructive racist idiots doesn't make someone a Scottish supremacist.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is the Sherlock sister thing as stupid as it sounds? I knew that show was circling the drain, creatively speaking, but loving hell.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Clicked for some reason and like the last time I looked at his feed literally every tweet is complaining about trans people. What the gently caress is wrong with him. Is this all because he feels insecure about his masculinity after getting his balls chopped off?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

He did a show called Motherland a couple years ago, which I know nothing about except it has Philomena Cunk in it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Taear posted:

I....don't know what you mean.

If you put a bluetooth headset on people will think you are talking on the phone rather than talking to invisible ghosts or imaginary friends.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

crispix posted:

I was a big fan of The Office when I was a youngin. David Brent: Life on the Road was on TV last night. I hadn't seen it. I watched it and it was utter poo poo. It was like what The Office Christmas special probably would have been if Gervais had done it alone. It feels like he never understood why people liked The Office.

Yeah over the years it has become increasingly clear that Stephen Merchant was the talent in that pairing, and David Brent being a oval office was less genius comic creation and more Ricky playing himself.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nobody watches the queens speech

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I read a thing about how he dumped his 'too-woke' girlfriend because she liked that anti-toxic masculinity Gillette advert.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

OP said he's trying to "remove the worst part of their evening" which would suggest there are other acts as well. How is that not censorship?

Just please stop with the 'huh maybe the anti-racists are the real fascists all along, really makes you think' hot takes, please I'm begging you. Trying to make this oval office lose a gig might or might not be a good idea or might or might not be censorship but it's not loving fascism.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Okay calling it fascism might have been a bit stupid of me but even so, you've got to see the hypocrisy here in what the OP is doing.

No I don't. What's hypocritical about it?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mickolution posted:

What's gimmicky about it?

Do you think Sky Sports is a gimmick because it just shows sport?

This is a weird hill to die on. Sky Atlantic, as a channel, was absolutely established to show HBO things.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Of course it was. I just don't know how that's a gimmick.

Gimmick as in schtick, brand, routine, unique selling point.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I didn't expect to read a defense of blackface in the UK TV thread but then again this is the racist shithole of a country that had hilarious comedy blackface on tv in the 21st century with Little Britian.

Pablo Bluth posted:

What's the thread's take on Papa Lazarou?

Filed next to Babs the cab driver as things from League of Gentlemen I found hilarious 20 years ago as a stupid teenager but now realise are not cool.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Probably going to walk onto a job on Andrew Neil's new British fox news style channel where he can complain about how cancelled and censored he is

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Don't worry it will be replaced by funny right wing comedians, like, uh

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I haven't watched Yes Minister largely because of seeing the Thatcher clip. Vile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Total Meatlove posted:

A settings option that takes maybe less than 30 seconds to fix, lads, come on.

Oh poo poo, just changed this. Do the apps on mobile and tvs respect this setting?