Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Mickolution posted:

There was also talks of a Spaced remake a few years ago. If I remember correctly, it was focused mainly on the idea of two people pretending to be a couple to get an apartment, an idea I had pretty much forgotten from Spaced and certainly not the main thread of the series. Also, there was already a US series based on the same idea, Ned & Stacey.

Doesn't this all go back to Man About the House / Three's Company if they only care about the initial setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

piratepilates posted:

Now that leads me to a question as someone not from the UK, how was David Baddiel at some point popular?

Baddiel's 'as a famous comedian, I'm just as qualified as a trained x' on Monkey Dust was good, but he lost any good will from me after being on AIOTM - he described his routine about the 'school spanner', then after receiving a letter from said spanner's sister, asking him to show some compassion as his life had been effectively ruined by years of bullying and abuse, he just waved it off as 'well he was the school spanner so he deserved it'.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 23, 2012

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Cerv posted:

This is a new and exciting definition of "realistic" I've never encountered before.

The Met operate completely above the law and without any repercussion. Even if they literally murder an innocent member of the public in a broad daylight beating or shooting spree.

I just watched the first ever episode, I wonder if they were making a point with him playing the "I'm a (higher ranking) policeman, don't even try and touch me" card a bunch of times.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Matt Berry makes me want to adopt bizarre affectations that I'll never be able to pull off, I want to say "casual" in about 5 syllables and make it last 10 seconds.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Royality posted:

Toast of London is pretty watchable actually, even if not laugh out loud funny. And I'm fairly sure most of Matt Berry's comic talent is derived from his ability to say words in disjointed ways.

I'm loving it. I imagine it'll be like Snuff Box for me - not the greatest comedy ever but there's something hypnotic about it that means if I want to watch one sketch I'll end up watching the entire series end-to-end. Also anything else with East-End-Gangster in it.

I figured in Snuff Box a lot of the smuttier jokes would be Fulcher's but from Toast it appears not!

Also, love the constant stream of comedy names leading up to "Benedict Cumberpatch's balls in the palm of my hand" "Who?"

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 13, 2013

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Irisi posted:

Heads up, my lovelies, BBC Radio 4 Extra is repeating Chris Morris' Blue Jam, starting this Friday at 11pm.

Don't think it's ever been repeated on radio since it was originally broadcast, way back in 1997 on Radio One at midnight. (And oh, it was a strange, formative and terrifying experience, listening to that as as a wee 14 year old poppet). A lot of the stuff was reused for the TV series, Jam, but it worked much better as a radio show. The pictures in your head were always so much more dreadful than anything on the screen...

The music selection during these shows, peak Bristol-sound, crazy ambient and more, is perfect. (at least for me, still listening to what I guess were original rips regularly)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Did he really sell a hifi with the front facade made to look like separate-brand individual components?

Because that is actually genius.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Rondette posted:

The first time I remember 'Literally' being used as a thing was in some early series of Peep Show. I wonder if it's modern genesis sprang from that.

Here's a bit from Frasier in 1993 (tried to find youtube but script came up first)

code:
Frasier: Hello Doug, this is Dr. Frasier Crane.  I'm listening.
   Doug: [v.o:] Look, it's about my mother.  She's getting on now and she doesn't have much of a life.  And she doesn't want to do 
         anything or go anywhere and she literally hangs around the house all day.  I mean, it's very frustrating...
Frasier: I'm sorry Doug, can we just go back a second?  You said your mother literally hangs around the house.  Well, I suppose 
         it's a pet peeve of mine but I suppose what you mean is that she figuratively "hangs around" the house.  To literally hang 
         around the house you'd have to be a bat or spider monkey. Now, back to your problem?
   Doug: Do you mind if we stop while I tell you my pet peeve?
Frasier: Not at all.
   Doug: [angry] I hate it when intellectual pinheads with superiority complexes nit-pick your grammar when they come 
         to you for help.  That's what I got a problem with! [hangs up]
Frasier: [happily:] I think what he means is, that is a thing with which he has a problem.  Now it's time for a station break 
         and we'll be right back after a word from our friends at [reads:] "Pizza, Pizza, Pizza." 

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hugely confused between the above and Harry Peacock/Ray Purchase. I'd like to know more about that guy.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

(Not in response to the post above)

W1A is good and often shifts from wacky to cringe unexpectedly.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Apparently there's a new BBC America Dirk Gently's coming up without Stephen Mangan and with Elijah Wood as the straight man.

Could be good? They might have to file down the 'there is no uni but oxford. end of' but would be great if they can do a good crossover/shout-out when they visit the professor there.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, I'd read the hell out of that. It always bothered me how he went from someone you were supposed to think was a complete arsehole to them writing him as a character the audience should root for.

Was it the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 that Gene does a big speech about it being a bad thing, and that all right minded and good people should be against it, causing the poncy minister to disappear in a puff of stuffiness?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

Which lines in particular? Just watched it through for the first time, great stuff.

Thinking about this, the line about difficulties in getting child actors for that sort of production is a lot creepier.

... I can imagine the discussions about 70s beeb that sparked this episode ...'if that then probably this as well'

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 1, 2017

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Fedule posted:

Just dropping by TVIV to note that Sherlock S4 was a crock of poo poo and every part of it was bad except for literally any part involving Mrs Hudson.

For some reason, Mrs Hudson is the one part of the show I don't numbly ingest. She's acted well but there's something wrong about 'lol I'm not a ~civilian~ (spit)'. Bet Watson's treated a few of the victims that made her husband's fortune in his clinic. Or Molly's seen a few of Mrs H's own hit and run victims herself.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Lol at Watson having a jolly rum old time while gaslighting Mycroft after a psychopath literally shot him and might have made an orphan of his child

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

How are there two men in a shabby million pound flat ready to leap into action 'when all else fails' if one will tell you to go gently caress yourself if you don't pique his particular interest

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

Holmes/Sherlock homoeroticism

I think technically that counts as incest first, homoerotic or otherwise. I'm sure there is fanart.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Lol edgey

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

When the Guardian's travel editor decided the paper would pay for his mate's son's gap yah to India, they justified it by saying the kid had written for Skins. The comments in the original and follow up articles are still a joy to read.

Later on they gave the kid a spotlight piece about how the experience was the worst kind of cyberbullying.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Really hope this turns into a series of casting/booking mishaps ala Brian Cox

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Last year several ladies at work came back from lunch all wobbly because they'd just seen Egg at a local deli.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Saw the New Year's episode, it's very pleasant and the period Parisian setting is a nice change. Atkinson is good playing... calm and dignified? The procedural side of it seems nicely quaint. Not that other British police shows go fully CSI, (what was the name of the other detective show on that night set in the 60s, it had Tim McInnery as a Northern union leader?) but being adapted from books of the time and not a recent creation makes a difference.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

Which is the more depressing - Cookdandbombd or Digital Spy?

10 years ago Cookdandbombd content was pages on pages of 'M..m..m...monkey cheese :qq:'. There was a really great write up of why Ever Decreasing Circles was The Best Comedy though. What's it like now?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Always liked popbitch but weary of donating to them after an ill judged witness-recounts-lord-caught-loving-small-boy piece presented as a funny story and apparently not submitted as evidence to yew tree

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

My favourite scene from the three eps was the old man delivering his crushingly sad tale of love and loss

This post made me remember something I've wanted to follow up on for years: is there a legit way to watch Whitehouse and Langham's (yeah yeah) psychotherapy comedy thing Help?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Sod, I'd never put two and two together - I'd just caught one episode on a long haul flight 10 years back, and Whitehouse did this amazing, heartfelt monologue made up as an old man. I hope he is/gets considered for some serious drama roles instead of comedy accents. I'd prefer to think Langham's story is as was presented but who knows.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I'd be surprised if Mad Men wasn't the weird blip in his career of zany adventures at this point.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I wish Diana Wynne Jones had that Potter money. (think she's made comments to that effect too)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Blue Jam is absolutely made by its music, even if Jam did give us The Day Kilroy Went Mad

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Christ why can't just one person in Collateral not be damaged and angry. I was praying the MI5 guy would turn out to be disarmingly pleasant and chirpy, even if just to show how far above the little people he was.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Really hoping the opening to next week's Collateral is 'Barbie Girl' panning over to Sandrine wallowing in the blood and intestines of bad-colonel and his wife. She's naked again, for some reason.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Those City and City promos look kind of BBC sci fi and family production, I'm hoping it's been done by whoever has churned out Taggart or Morsel or whatever with a nerd advisor on set

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

She wasn't too bad but that toothy murder monster she had was terrifying.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

This sounds amazing. Going to add it to my terrible Xmas music playlist. Maybe after Mel Smith & Kim Wilde doing Rocking Around the Christmas Tree?

Please say they also did 'respectable'

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

Oof yeah that’s a bad movie. I’d actually forgotten it existed. Completely pointless to bring the character back.

The one, so obvious that in any other movie it would have been hack, thing they had to do to save it was have Brent make some small sacrifice for Doc Brown's character's career. It was almost brave that they instead go to poo poo and say 'no he was good and right to stick his guns and learn nothing'.

quote:

Sadly, it’s not very good. The humour of them using old timey language wears thin very quickly and there’s not much in the way of actual jokes. In the first episode I found about two moments amusing.

It feels very much like a Thing Matt Berry Is In (additional swears by Matt Berry) than A Matt Berry Project.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Bernard Woolley passed :(

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I really hope the one about paring down thousands of horse racing bets until they found the one punter that won x in row, was true, because that was kinda breathtaking in its scope.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

crispix posted:

BBC is putting Battlestar Galactica (2000s) box set on iPlayer and they're showing it on BBC2 tonight from 21:45. Seems like an odd thing for them to do but I like the show. Well, the first 2 seasons before it became wank :psylon:

Feels like about ten years since they did the same for The Wire just to get people to stop bothering them about it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I'm playing the rpg Divinity: Original Sin 1 and it's a cavalcade of uk voice actoooors hamming it up 100%, I love each and every villager troll and orc in this game.

One of them (gate guard outside Silverglen Village) is doing his absolute best Matt Berry Voice, in every sense. It made me wonder, is that actually Berry's specific thing, or did he lift it from famous theatre traditions everyone should probably know like half Olivier's Othello and half textbook RADA, the Brian Blessed years, or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Interesting, thanks! Hoping I'll catch some proto - Berry in A Man for All Seasons or something.