Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
So has the thread collectively stopped watching 10 O'clock live or is there a seperate thread? I know it's pretty weak but it's something to watch on wednesday at least, and I usually enjoy one or two of the segments. Brooker's bit on Kony was pretty good and I learned some stuff from it. The bit with the weird culty adverts for invisible children was new to me, and pretty funny.

Edit: the interview with Starkey and the lady comedian was a bit of a trainwreck, but it prompted a discussion in the meme hovel at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

You are welcome.

SeanBeansShako posted:

White Van Man is one of those comedies where you know both the writers and actors are actually enjoying their characters.

Despite a few blips I really am enjoying the 2nd series. I want more of this stuff and less of that offensive Pramface shite BBC3. And the return of Ideal.

And saying that, they instead no doubt will comission a terribly done documentary about young people that just pisses me off instead.

I stopped watching ideal around the second series, and came back to it for the last few episodes and understandably, couldn't get into it. Would you recommend putting in the effort to watch it all?

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
And if you've not seen it, I thought Stalin: 1941 and the man of steel was pretty good. Kept me watching for a full 90 minutes at least, worth a go.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
whatever happened to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad? He knew his telly onions, worked for sky I think. Did he go when the UK megathread guys started to leave?

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

sex pervert posted:

I happened to flip through channels shortly after six and caught about a minute of it. It all looks very different now with fancy camera work and too many young people. I did notice Marilyn is still in it! Honestly I am so jealous of these soap actors like Marilyn, Ken Barlow and Ian Beale with their cushy jobs for life :(

I know- These guys have one of the most secure jobs on television that will likely continue until their death. Or the heat death of the universe. I have to watch it every time I go to my dad's house and I'm sick of the constant drama. I know that sounds dumb but It'd be nice if there was a show on the telly that was just 24/7 relaxed-streetcam.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
Last night I saw a Runescape advert on the telly. Uh. That was pretty surprising, and it got me wondering- how much does a 30s TV Advert cost?

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

Trickjaw posted:

Now they are just making up countries.Djibouti?

Damned if I can remember it but there's a catchy song about Djibouti. So it probably exists!

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
Independent olympic athletes should have been announced as "nowhereland"

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
I preface this by mentioning that I was very stoned on both occasions I watched it but that celebrity Bedlam show on channel 4 was pretty funny. The cloning skit especially was just the right kind of creepy and absurd for me and I saw a trailer for a political satire thingy type show called "the revolution will be televised" that might be good or poo poo. Someone tell me if I am correct or incorrect please.

Edit: I've been enjoying the olympics a lot too, I dug the opening ceremony mostly and I've been getting goosebumps pretty much every time anyone wins anything. That Niger rower the other day is my personal highlight, comes in last like a minute behind the next slowest, everyone's cheering him on. Love it.

meme fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 10, 2012

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

TJO posted:

The older lad with dyslexia was so touching when he was home with his grandfather or when he was crying about the classism of the people he was associating himself with. If he could just realise that he was lucky to have a support network in his family that other people in his situation don't have and then recognised that the system he aspired to is working against him because of who he was born as, and actually managed to join the dots up, he could probably be a really decent bloke.

The blonde lad was okay but I felt like he was some bullied kid that just wanted to belong somewhere. And watching the Cambridge toffs sniggering as soon as they saw him was just pathetic from them.

If they showed the 2 spouting some hideous right-wing views I'd hate them but they both came off as just a bit tragic.*

*Both will be more successful than me and probably ultimately happier.

I'm watching it now and this is spot on. The moments when they are realising the arsehole world of back biting they're trying to enter are outweighed by the moments of arsehole backbiting. Who has the time or energy for that kind of thing really?

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
Didn't they cancel midsummer murders for being racist or something. I vaguely remember something in the papers?

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

GimpChimp posted:

To be fair who doesn't want to see bourgeois white Anglo people kill each other.

Well yeah but not one at a time, maybe if Midsummer was just a gladiatorial arena it'd be worth watching

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
I quite enjoyed The Revolution Will be Televised. Some bad sketches, some quite funny sketches, some annoying bits, some bits that made me laugh. Yeah it's very right on but it's a BBC3 satire show, what do you want? I'd rather see poo poo satire than whatever that one show with the young scally lookin' fella or a rerun of little Britain. This thread reacts worse to things that are bad versions of things it likes than it does to things that are just offensively poo poo.

It won't revolutionise anything, but it is just a loving TV show. I thought the bits when they put on a character like in the Lib Dem conference were reasonably funny and showed promise. But I'm a sucker for that kind of humour anyway. I guess I just enjoy subterfuge

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
So, good cop tonight? Pretty gripping stuff and dark, too. Good drama!

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

StrawmanUK posted:

Born and raised in St Helens. Currently a scouser!

Got a lot of family in St Helens. Used to drive to Birchalls for a pie every sunday! currently scousing at liverpool uni!

Edit: Or Pilkingtons? the place with the amazing pies.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Imagine how relentlessly terrifying he could be as Vetinari.

I see him more as a Vimes, myself.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

VogeGandire posted:

Why do I seem to always end up watching The Revolution Will Be Televised? It's the most horrible, bile-inducing, left-wing-student politics possible. It makes me genuinely angry to watch.

I think I keep watching so I can see it when Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker tear their masks off and announce that it was just a massive satire.

It blows, but it wins in the battle of "what should I watch, nothing is on, it's this or Citizen Khan."

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

Doakes posted:

Wow, thirded. Small world.

I think St Helens is just pretty goony in general

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
Yeah I'm another one who hates his standup but quite enjoys when he's on panel shows or as a character in a TV show.
Edit: and holy poo poo, Mr Blobby. The whole thing was gold.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
Celebrity juice, its fans tell me, is self aware and a parody of whatever it is supposed to be parodying. Sometimes I watch it and laugh, sometimes I watch it and weep. It's pretty much the most confusing show on TV. I can never tell for sure if it's serious and when I think it's a joke I have no idea what it's taking the piss of. Itself?

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Celebrity Juice seems to be huge with teenagers. Not saying you have to be a teenager to enjoy it, but it seems to help.

Everyone I know who likes it is 30+ I don't know a single person my age who likes it. It is a weird show

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
I think he was probably conflating Fresh Meat with Friday Night Dinners, seeing as they are similar shows on the same channel and both have Inbetweeners actors as main characters

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

PriorMarcus posted:

How are people getting AdBlock to stop the 4OD ads?

I'm not sure, it works on my PC but not my laptop. If adblock doesn't do it without some fiddling maybe noscript will do the trick.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

Howards Bellend posted:

Can I just say how much I enjoyed the most recent episode of Him and Her without the sister in it?

But she was in it! Admittedly, it was on the screen of a laptop, but her foul presence was still felt.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

DominoDancing posted:

Am I really the only one thinking that, considering the current public discourse, a journalist NOT asking Tarantino about violence in movies is simply not doing his job?

I feel like the same questions get asked every time there's a shooting tragedy and there's no point in rehashing old ground- what do you expect Tarantino to say? "Yeah I'm sorry, violence is wrong, don't watch my movie"? We don't give a poo poo about this issue when kids aren't getting murdered it's just journalists trying to retroactively journo. No one blames Dark Knight Rises for that guy who shot up the cinema unless they're an idiot. And like Tarantino said, it was a junket to promote his new movie, not an interview with a critic, the journalist in question wanted either a nice sounding soundbite or a controversial one, they didn't really want an answer.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

Squalitude posted:

My Mad Fat Diary does look appalling from the trailers, and I'm not the type to watch something because of the soundtrack. Going by the trailers, the plot seems to be "let's laugh at this fat girl, but at the end of the show we'll all be reminded she's a Real Person too, and we shouldn't laugh at fat people. Tune in next episode where for more laughs at the fattie!". Feel free to reassure me this isn't the case...

It's not that. It's not the best show I ever watched but it's not insensitive or cruel.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
Yeah, he knows the wipe format works, and he's got a nice secure time slot and he's experimenting with the formula a bit, something that he couldn't as easily have gotten away with when screen/newswipe was a little culty and had a smaller and kind of terrible internet people audience. Now he is successful he's trying different stuff. It doesn't all work but the thing about television is you don't know how something is going to be received until it is received and besides, it was short. And it prompted a discussion about Django unchained when we were watching it so we missed it anyway. But happily, reminded ourselves that it was a cool film.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
Is there a Being Human thread? I went back a few pages in TVIV but didn't find one. I'm really enjoying this series, much better than last series, and I think I actually prefer the new cast.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
This season is really interesting, you should watch it if you liked early being human because it's got lots of early being human stuff and far less apocalyptic melodrama about vampires taking over the world or whatever. Speaking of vampires taking over the world, why does no one seem to remember that vampires took over the world?

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

Flatscan posted:

Because they didn't? Unless you count hanging around in a Welsh warehouse then getting blown up as taking over the world.

Oh yeah, the future when they took over the world was a flashforward thing that the ghostsplosion fixed. Forgot about that since it's been a while since I watched it. My bad. Now things make more sense.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

Junior G-man posted:

So did anyone else catch Sue Perkin's new comedy thing Heading Out?

First episode was pretty hilarious with the dead cat scenes, both at the end and at the world's most serious pet incinerators.

Spoiled just in case you want to see it on Iplayer.

clocked this last night looking for something to watch, figured I'd wait for someone else to say that it was good. I'll try it out later!

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
So I'm at a bit of an impasse now, I've seen almost all the telly I can think of, and I'm looking for more comedy. I've seen all the usual suspects apart from older stuff. I really dig my satires, I've seen Citizen Smith (which is probably bad or something but I dug it) and Spitting image and stuff like that, but didn't see Not the Nine O'clock news. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

VogeGandire posted:

I will forever recommend The Thick of It to anyone who hasn't seen it.

this is my problem, I've seen everything already! I'm more looking for older stuff, I'm a child of the 90's and I missed a lot