Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

the_cow_fan posted:

Did anyone see Troy during the week? he's a street magician/illusionist like Dynamo but with a personality.

Ugh god, we caught an episode of this and it was atrocious. The main thing is it's very very very obviously fake; we saw the one with the "comic book store" where the guy ripped a £15,000 comic then magically fixed it. Well first up, a real assistant would never have gotten the comic out of the display case for a random dude (if he was just an assistant he'd probably have to call his manager), then he would never have let some random dude just take it out of the polybag, then he would NEVER have let some random dude gently caress about with it, and he would definitely not have taken him destorying it so calmly. And that's quite apart from the fact that the comic was clearly a mockup; british kids comics from that time were printed on cheap newsprint that yellows terribly, while the prop they had was freaking pristine.

Add to that "secret filming" from like 6 different camera angles at the same time with zooms and tracking and perfect sound reproduction, there's absolutely no way the people in the tricks weren't actors, and lovely ones at that, or at best members of the public extremely aware of the massive camera crew filming them and asking them to go back and redo bits so they have full coverage. That's fine in and of itself, but don't present it as "street magic" or secret filming if you're gonna cheat like that.

I also don't find the guy remotely interesting, a few of the tricks were OK but with the obvious fakeness of the filming I couldn't get into the fiction of the tricks because they were probably hosed around with in editing anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Mr. Squishy posted:

BBC2 is so desperate for something to replace the Bake Off they might go for a Great British FMK competition.

I'm quite enjoying the great British Hair off, the basic styles aren't that interesting but when they make hideous monstrosities with badly put together edifices of nasty synthetic hair, florist foam, wire and corrugated cardboard it's great.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

goatface posted:

Don't tell the Bridge sounds like an amazing programme.

Just don't watch the UK remake, Don't tell the tunnel

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Gorn Myson posted:

Theres a shockingly large amount of actors on Game of Thrones who have appeared at some point on either Doctors, Casualty or Holby City, including a few main characters.

Don't forget The Bill. Clive Russell (the gigantic Scottish guy who plays Cat's uncle) has been in the Bill six times... as five separate characters. Apparently an imposing 6'6" dude is sufficiently generic or The Bill audiences are sufficiently gormless that he can play different characters a scant year apart. Then again he's also been four characters in Casualty and another two in Holby city, and three in Corrie. As fas as I can tell, being fourteen different characters gives him the highest total crossover of any GOT actor with lovely UK soaps and themed-semi-soaps.

Someone in the GOT spoiler thread used the imdb cross reference feature and there was a cross over of over 70 actors between GOT and Holby/Casualty, and something similar for the Bill. Seriously, if you're an actor in the UK (and not a classy motherfucker like Charles Dance) and your agent can't get you into Casualty, Holby or The Bill, fire them. EVERYONE has been in that poo poo.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Do you guys mean WWII? That was when Anderson shelthers were in use, D-day and the Normandy landings happened, and also the last veteran who was actually involved in the fighting in WWI died several years ago, the only people who were alive during the first war and haven't died yet were children when the fighting was taking place.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
:stare: well THAT sure was an episode of Eastenders.

On the one hand, a cute dog having cute puppies and everyone rallying round to comment on the miracle of new life. On the other, a distraught family reacting to the violent murder of a young woman, complete with mortuary viewing and vocal street breakdown.

Kinda a distillation of the entirety of British soaps really.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Seaside Loafer posted:

I rarely watch it, the girlfriend watches it, but I thought that was pretty clever. You have new life with the pups and Ian dealing with death. It was actually smart writing I thought. Or am I totally overthinking it.

Oh I totally get what they were going for, but having the juxtaposition of life and death involve PUPPIES rather than a human baby was really loving peculiar. Like you could have had the victims half sister go for her first ultrasound scan, or something nice and life affirming involving Kat's babies, or any one of the other dozen or so infants and fetuses that seem to always be present in Albert Square. Using a goddamn dog was weird

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Total Meatlove posted:

They've hosed it up by having such a narrow brief, they're going to get 80 different takes on fish and chips by the end of it because what else can you do for a wartime fish course?

Commercial sea fishing was severely curtailed during the war by U-boats and other threats, cod, haddock and other open sea fisheries were barely touched (and actually experienced enormous population recovery). Anything involving commercially fished sea fish is the antithesis of WWII food.

If it were me I'd do something with river fish, inshore shellfish or other less commercial, more inventive sources. Wild river fish with various forraged herbs and woodland plants like wild garlic would be a pretty cool allusion to people having to seek alternative food sources and live off the land because of reduced food imports.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 23, 2014

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

WastedJoker posted:

Did anyone watch The Magic of Mushrooms? Didn't think much of the presenter and it felt like some of the show was handled by apprentice directors but the actual information in the show was great.

I rather enjoyed it, other than using the same time lapse and "mushrooms falling past a camera in slow motion" footage about 8 times. As for the presenter, I thought he was perfectly amiable and I always prefer having someone doing science shows with a strong science background, the ones that use popular presenters rather than scientist-presenters are almost always insufferable.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
lets talk about cooking shows again. Like that one Masterchef contestant who made the apple tart or whatever for the 2 star chef and got the only even remotely positive response of the evening.

Or Eastenders. Who thinks Max dunnit?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Did anyone see that doc about British whaling last night? loving amazing, from the in person interviews of actual whalers (we only stopped doing it at an industrial scale in the 60s) to the presenter exploring the ghost-town whaling stations on South Georgia. Shitloads of grizzly archive footage too, definitely not for the faint hearted. I'm guessing the second part is gonna be about the decline of the industry and the moratorium

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
iplayer is doing user surveys at the moment.

There are several text boxes where you can tell them exactly what you think of the new layout.

get to it goons.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

lionlegs posted:

I just finished watching this and I feel a bit ill...fascinating but depressing stuff.

It was definitely grim but I found it weirdly uplifting, because that sort of industrial scale slaughter just doesn't happen any more. Of course there's still whaling, which is depressing, but it's nowhere near the unregulated free-for-all it was 50 or 100 years ago, and it's almost entirely of smaller, faster breeding species like minke, which sucks for the individual whales but is unlikely to pose a major threat to populations as a whole. Species like hump backs are back to "least concern" status from "endangered" as recently as 1988 and are close 60% of pre-whaling levels, which for such a long lived slow-breeding species is incredible.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
were any of the recently outed kiddy diddlers in Paedogeddon? I remember Rolf was in an episode of Brass Eye but I think it was Drugs

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rarity posted:

Century Falls is legitimately great kids TV. Speaking of kids TV, did anyone watch Jeopardy? A bunch of high school kids go to the Outback and it's really creepy like a horror movie then there's aliens and poo poo goes insane. It was really good (until the lame ending)

yeah, I thought it was great, really naturalistic acting and the characters were very convincing, they felt like actual teenagers rather than some writers idea of how a teenager should act. Never made it to the end though, seems like that was for the best

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
BBC4 seems to be repeating The Great War, a 26 part (count 'em) doc made for the 50th anniversary of WWI and so chock full of actual eyewitness accounts and interviews as well as reams of archive footage. It's a bit odd to modern sensibilities, instead of being interspersed with a recognisable personality tramping over a hill and talking about a battle that happened there it's JUST narration over archive and eyewitness accounts, a format I much prefer. It's information dense but quite lyrical too with quite a few poetry readings and such throughout the narration. Obviously in terms of the scholarship it's all 50 year old opinions so I don't know how well it gels with the current consensus among historians, but it's well worth a watch, informative and emotionally wrenching without being mawkish or overly sentimental.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
oh hey my TV guide has an entry for a new Black Mirror, some sort of Christmas special, looks to be an anthology episode

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Crankit posted:

do you use pogdesign too?

yes.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

madey posted:

What did I miss? I get how the central premise was that technology allows us to be more callous and do bad things to each while easily bypassing our conscience. But the Rafe in the hut was literally a simulation and not a human at all. I thought Jon Hamm had the worse fate by far.

The point is the simulation is sentient and sapient, the fact it's brain is running on silicon rather than a wet sack of ionic potential changes is irrelevant to it's suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Irisi posted:

You beast, Taff. You ungodly beast.

Crankit, you should watch Line of Duty (especially the second season, which was soul-destroyingly good) and also Luther, starring the magnificent Idris Elba. They're very much in the style of The Fall, and superbly acted.

If you go back a little way, there's Red Riding, which is bleak as hell, further back again is State of Play, and way back, the daddy of all psychological crime dramas is Cracker.

Is Prime Suspect worth going back over?