Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008

Adrianics posted:

James Corden actually is a genuinely good comedic actor when he's given the right material, he was great in Gavin and Stacey and sensational in One Man Two Guvnors on stage, it's just gently caress whoever told him he would make a good presenter/television personality. It's sad to see that his career is heading towards the latter rather than former.

Yep I dismissed him as being a fat version of Michael Mcintyre with his 'please all easy comedy' but he's really good in Gavin & Stacey.

Did anyone see Troy during the week? he's a street magician/illusionist like Dynamo but with a personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

the_cow_fan posted:

Did anyone see Troy during the week? he's a street magician/illusionist like Dynamo but with a personality.

The personality of a twat

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I can't be the only one who finds this Jam'ie tat on BBC3 abhorrent, right?
I mean, I know almost nothing BBC3 does is particularily good, but this just seems really offensive. Also really racist.

I'm a Brit turned Aussie permanent resident and my partner gets a kick out of it as he says it strongly reminds him of some private school girls he knew from his high school time. I usually leave him to it when he insists on watching.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
To be fair, has a spin off based on a single sketch show character ever really worked? I'm anticipating being hit by a flood of really obvious ones now.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Perfect Element posted:

To be fair, has a spin off based on a single sketch show character ever really worked? I'm anticipating being hit by a flood of really obvious ones now.

Wayne's World.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Wayne's World.

I liked Caterick. That was like 2.5 sketch show characters though, but all from the same sketches.

I think Anchorman basically span out of SNL.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Swiss Tony was good.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
The TV critic on the Guardian has a weekly review video.
Thought I's post it here as he's turned me onto a few shows. Does US/Euro stuff too, but obviously mainly UK.
I disagree with a lot of his opinions, but it's still a decent method of discovery.
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/series/andrew-collins-telly-addict

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

the_cow_fan posted:

Ugh god, we caught an episode of this and it was atrocious. The main thing is it's very very very obviously fake; we saw the one with the "comic book store" where the guy ripped a £15,000 comic then magically fixed it. Well first up, a real assistant would never have gotten the comic out of the display case for a random dude (if he was just an assistant he'd probably have to call his manager), then he would never have let some random dude just take it out of the polybag, then he would NEVER have let some random dude gently caress about with it, and he would definitely not have taken him destorying it so calmly. And that's quite apart from the fact that the comic was clearly a mockup; british kids comics from that time were printed on cheap newsprint that yellows terribly, while the prop they had was freaking pristine.

Add to that "secret filming" from like 6 different camera angles at the same time with zooms and tracking and perfect sound reproduction, there's absolutely no way the people in the tricks weren't actors, and lovely ones at that, or at best members of the public extremely aware of the massive camera crew filming them and asking them to go back and redo bits so they have full coverage. That's fine in and of itself, but don't present it as "street magic" or secret filming if you're gonna cheat like that.

I also don't find the guy remotely interesting, a few of the tricks were OK but with the obvious fakeness of the filming I couldn't get into the fiction of the tricks because they were probably hosed around with in editing anyway

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Would Man to Man with Dean Learner count?
That was loving excellent.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Would Alan Partridge count? Because he was a fairly minor character who eventually went on to be more popular than the show that he was created in.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

VogeGandire posted:

Would Alan Partridge count? Because he was a fairly minor character who eventually went on to be more popular than the show that he was created in.

Probably. Also in that vein,Ali G

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Probably. Also in that vein,Ali G

Also, Borat became way bigger than Ali G, but that's not UK TV anymore.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

Swiss Tony was good.

Counterpoint: Swiss Tony was absolutely horrendous.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Hollow Talk posted:

I started watching it but found him annoying to the point where it reached unbearable and I stopped watching it. It's a pity, because it looked really interesting! Unfortunately, I felt as if he threw around phrase after phrase, all of it poorly connected and needlessly opaque. For me, it was felt way too pretentious, really :( In a way, I was rather happy the other show wasn't like it!

It wasn't as good as some of his earlier stuff. The last TV thing he did (on Essex) was really great. The MeadesShrine channel on YouTube has most (all?) of his programmes. I love the guy.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

The TV critic on the Guardian has a weekly review video.
Thought I's post it here as he's turned me onto a few shows. Does US/Euro stuff too, but obviously mainly UK.
I disagree with a lot of his opinions, but it's still a decent method of discovery.
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/series/andrew-collins-telly-addict

I love Andrew Collins and I watch this every week :)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Review Show complained that the female characters in TRUE DETECTIVE were either nagging wives or strippers and questioned the "people" who write this stuff. Sometimes I completely understand these criticisms, but I also don't know what's wrong with a story that has a specific point of view and sticks with it. Weirdly there's no strong black characters in the show either, but that always seems less of an issue.

It reminds me of the time when Newsnight Review complained that there were no women in MASTER AND COMMANDER. The film set almost entirely on a boat during the Napoleonic War.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

True Detective doesn't portray anyone positively though, and Martin's wife is at least sympathetic and relatable.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I just watched the second episode of Inside No 9, and by god am I impressed. I wish the league of gentlemen guys did more stuff, because they're always nothing short of excellent. More psychoville than league of gentlemen, but that's not wholly a bad thing. The single scene idea is also really nice and makes it feel much more like theatre than usual TV stuff. They benefit from being self-contained and unrestricted by the need to fit into a longer narrative too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
From the Andrew Collings video, I've just started Life of Rock. It's uneven, but fun and manages to come out with some golden lines.

Also liked House of Fools, if anyone else has been watching? Was apprehensive but if you love Vic and Bob there's no reason you won't love Vic and Bob with Matt Berry delightfully breaking the English language. You twat.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also liked House of Fools, if anyone else has been watching? Was apprehensive but if you love Vic and Bob there's no reason you won't love Vic and Bob with Matt Berry delightfully breaking the English language. You twat.
Really grew on me, didnt quite get the concept on the first one, but just gets funnier if you give a few more a try. Made my 12 year old laugh like a loving drain :) (and my inner 12 year old!)

Vic and bobs stuff is always thematic with randomness, so you see the first one and are sortof hmmm, what the gently caress, but then the next episode makes sense with the in jokes.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 24, 2014

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Seaside Loafer posted:

Really grew on me, didnt quite get the concept on the first one, but just gets funnier if you give a few more a try. Made my 12 year old laugh like a loving drain :) (and my inner 12 year old!)

Buff my Barnaby Rudge :aaaaa:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
You'll all be thrilled to hear that Piers Morgan's show here in the US has been cancelled because apparently nobody likes him, so hopefully he'll be back in the UK as soon as possible!

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Quickly, fit him up for terrorism activity and get him sent to that bad island.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Are there actually any people who like him at all? Who are they? Extremely liberal self-loathing Catholics? Americans who like everything British because they can't understand the accent?
I really hope he ends up somewhere in New Zealand thus minimising the damage.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Aww I'm glad to hear Tiny Andrew Collings is working for The Guardian now. :)

I just watched the 2013 Screenwipe review of the year and you know that fella what said to Kay Burley the royals had a black baby, did anyone find out who he is? Because that was the funniest moment of 2013 and my funniest moment of 2014 thus far.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Bloodbath posted:

Aww I'm glad to hear Tiny Andrew Collings is working for The Guardian now. :)

Aside: I'm not glad at all.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
It's been bugging me a few times now but the new 3 advert with the kid on the bike is definitely cgi'd on to the street, it just looks odd.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

reality_groove posted:

Aside: I'm not glad at all.

Does he talk about homeopathy or his unfair mortgage-based lottery win distribution ideas in the Guardian?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Collings doesn't do homeopathy does he?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Are there actually any people who like him at all?

I think the answer to this is simple: No.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Piers Morgan, possibly. Maybe his mother.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
This video is the only good thing that Piers Morgan has ever contributed to the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ePx61TkXKY

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Paladinus posted:

Are there actually any people who like him at all?
Is the answer jam?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

thehustler posted:

The impression I always got is that he's just playing devil's advocate to annoy people.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

thehustler posted:

http://mrjoeblogs.blogspot.de/2007/02/joe-blogs-interview-95-andrew-collins.html?m=1

"What do people commonly say about your site?
If they are doctors, they say I am wrong about the efficacy of homeopathy. But I don't care what they think."

Sorry.

But really, both are running jokes from the Richard Herring/Andrew Collins podcast and AIOTM.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
As long as he's trolling it's alright

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The new series of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle starts on March 1st at 10pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XpvH-j9BHg

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Has anyone watched the entertainingly titled REVENGE OF THE EGGHEAD on BBC2. Since Pointless has apparently rendered the original obsolete, we now have CJ (the worst Egghead) sitting on a pedestal with an Ipad with which he plunges a panel of schlubs into an Who Wants to be a Millionaire-styled hell if they gently caress up a regular Egghead quiz round. The gurning he does as they get a question right is enough to make one swear off telly entirely.
e: the thing that'll make a quiz show stay is pointless complexity, to my mind.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I managed about five minutes of it last night. I can't risk damaging my telly whenever his face appears, so it won't be on again.