Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven't seen the TV adverts like we had during the world cup, but I don't watch much commercial TV over here (barring crappy channels that run marathons of easy watch shows on the weekends), but the first half hour of the tournament on BBC was literally 'England, England, England'. They barely mentioned who was playing the opening game!

If it was Wales or Scotland there and not England, I know I know, we wouldn't get the level of support the BBC gives England. In fact, they'd still find excuses to cram England into every conversation wherever possible. I can guarantee that most Scots and Welsh are far more behind our Celtic brothers in The Republic of Ireland, but that's of no concern to the broadcasters. If it was Liverpool vs Man Utd and the commentary was always in favour of Man Utd, there would be an absolute poo poo storm.

It's not something you notice so much if you're English and living in England, which is understandable. To those of us on the outside who pay the same license fee it absolutely bloody grates. It's just as bad during the Rugby, where Wales often outperform the other five competitors in the Six Nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it too much to want to see a proper build up? Even if they're not the best critics, I'd like to know who the key players are... I don't watch much league football, and not all players in Europe are Premier League anyway, so it's not really too much to ask for that a show called 'UEFA 2012: Poland vs Greece' covers the two teams playing in some capacity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was in my teens in the 90s and BBC2 was king (we didn't have C4 in Wales). Therefore, the following things interrupted my TV viewing, and thus to this day I hate them:

* Darts
* Snooker
* The Proms
* Garden poo poo

S4C would take a selection of C4 programming and air it 10 days later at 2am. Coincidently, I also hate the Welsh language.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I 'got into' cricket when I was about 17 in the school holidays, because I could put it on the TV then sleep all afternoon waking up for 5 minutes at a time to check the score, then promptly fall back asleep.

I used to play it for years previous, but was crap at it. I have a bizarre spin bowl that I swore broke my friends nose one time though. Nothing was worse than how long it would take to pad up, wait for your turn to bat, then be out within about 3 bowls. Also the shared 'school box'. Gross.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that Hovis advert where the father and son spend a day together supposed to be set in the present? If so, it's doing nothing but backing my, frankly offensive, views of the North.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I was looking forward to the interview, but Stewart rarely hosed up by harping on about the soda/weed issue. I don't see what connection it has to Boris and it clearly stopped him in his tracks. I'm guessing it was most American's introduction to him and it's a shame they didn't get the full burst of insanity he's known for.

Boris is right about TDS not being available in the UK though, losing it from More 4 sucked and their website is fantastic... if you have an American IP address.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

90s game journalism was so much fun... Dave 'The Animal' Perry was just a train wreck, Radeon Automatic had insanely daft hair, Stuart Campbell was (and still is) a very angry person... then you've got Mr Biffo of Digitiser, Diamond himself who was always entertaining and Julian 'Jaz' Rignall who just seemed to be everywhere.

I doubt it's anywhere near as fun now :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I don't know, I would imagine that the quality of bribes has increased over the years as the stakes got higher.

I can't remember what site it was, but at one point Biffo had a forum and I posted a thread asking him what he made of the whole Driv3r fiasco, and probably put forth the opinion that the journalists involved were spineless weasels with no backbones. One poster replied with just 'oval office'... did a bit of clicking and found out he was the one who wrote the review that started it all off. Quite proud of that one!

Junkenstein posted:

Biffo stole my joke about how Bits should be called Bints once.

I'm not surprised, I had a conversation with him on AIM once (he listed his email address as being @aol.com for a while so I added him to my buddy list, and one day he popped up). He encouraged me to steal things from my 6th form work placement :D

It's worth watching the BBC 3 Biffovision pilot, it's not brilliant but it has it's moments. 'Scranton K' being a particular favourite as it was the most Digi like. Dr Derek Doctors was on it too, but with a slightly different name that didn't really work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Elphiem posted:

Anyone else looking forward to seeing Spenny on the show?

There's only one Spenny, and he hangs around with a man named Kenny.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember reading about Ed vs Spencer but I never saw it, the first few seasons of Kenny vs Spenny were amazing fun though. I should grab some of the later episodes to see if it kept it up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No, but the parents watching with them will enjoy watching something aimed at them for a few seconds. The kids won't notice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Virgin TiVo box is pretty quick, but my word the UI is dreadful. Too many years of using a fully integrated XBMC setup has really spoilt me for what's possible though, any set top box I touch pretty much disappoints.

Apple TV is nice though just because they kept it simple and doesn't feel like a mish mash of 10 things, but obviously it's not a DVB device.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Have you used many of the other apps? I've had NHL up on it and possibly NBA too (they run a free game a day and I'm sure I tried it a while back), it just makes things so simple. If someone other had full online rights to Premier League games and used Apple TV as the frontend to it, they'd absolutely clean up.

It's handling of podcasts is better than the iPhone and iTunes too imo (although that new podcasts app is pretty cool).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SeanBeansShako posted:

A depressingly sad day for British comedy.

I didn't see the Sykes news on the previous page and presumed you were talking about The Midnight Beast that starts on E4 this week.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

lazyjane posted:

So nobody here uses anything like Myth TV then?

http://www.mythtv.org/

In 2012? No, pretty much everyone uses XBMC or Plex now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought Planer was done with comedy these days?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty sure it hasn't been on More4 in years, hence there was a UK block on the website. That's been lifted too, which is even better news.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I don't tend to keep up with it on UK TV, always preferred the normal US version to Global Edition.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm surprised you know enough people who watched Comedy Vehicle to make that connection! I've liked Stew for years so have enjoyed the show a lot, and everyone I know who likes it (not that many) is thoroughly lovely.

Inbetweeners is enjoyable enough but possibly overhyped in an era where there's not usually much in competition comedy wise. A few episodes of Peep Show every 18 months, maybe some Thick of It and not a lot else. The movie was more enjoyable than I expected though, except that Simon is absolutely insufferable the whole time and Neil is made to be a bit of a dick. Will is actually tolerable for the first time, so I guess that was the tradeoff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wafflecop posted:

Fixed for me... Actually I'd say the people I know who like "The Boosh" are generally mentally unbalanced people who have a large capacity for being knobheads.

Went to see their first live show in Cardiff after a rugby day... urgh, such bad timing. I don't think they were even at their stupidly popular stage at that point, but the performance was marred by a bunch of Valley's boys drunkenly yelling out 'Nabooooooo!' and other characters names on an almost constant basis throughout.

The first two series' were great, but I really don't know what happened with the third. I don't think I even saw the 2nd live show, but I'm guessing it continued that spiral?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've seen clips of Spaced and it looked pretty awful. I watched as much as I could bare of Peep Show (about 4 minutes, twice) and that was probably the worst one i've seen which is why you won't find people talking about it much. It's a shame I only found out afterwards that it was Jonny Galecki because it would be fun to watch it knowing that, but my copy is long gone. IT Crowd was a bit painful, but everyone's seen that now it's up on YouTube.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I'm guessing Inbetweeners and IT Crowd were so high up the C4 top list as its a bit embarrassing to not have anything not from the last decade place highly. I like both shows, but they were ahead of some truly excellent TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Giedroyc posted:

30. Paul Merton - The Series - Good, bit dated.
29. The World Of Lee Evans - Lazy Lee Evans
28. The Jack Dee Show - Good at the time very hard to watch now since it's dated badly.
26. Saturday Night Live / Friday Night Live - Incredibly hit & miss
25. Desmond's
24. Harry Hill - S1 yes, S2 maybe, S3 no.
22. The Armstrong & Miller Show - Horrible if this is the 90s show that exposed them as being Fry & Laurie without the talent, charm, charisma.
21. Friday Night Dinner - Didn't last more than an episode.
20. Smack The Pony - Underrated, but very reliant on knowing pop culture of that era. I mean the first song parody relates to an obscure Kenickie song.
19. Bo' Selecta! - Wank.
18. The Adam & Joe Show - Again, good at the time but dated.
17. The Comic Strip Presents... - Dated.
16. Drop The Dead Donkey - Heavily reliant on knowing the era, still quite fun
15. Absolutely - Great
14. Vic Reeves Big Night Out - Still borderline incomprehensible.
12. Trigger Happy TV - poo poo
11. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - Great
10. Da Ali G Show - poo poo
9. Phoenix Nights - Great
8. Brass Eye - Great but what once was a parody of news is now unsettlingly standard
7. Green Wing - Great
6. Spaced - Simon Pegg lazily references poo poo for cunts
5. The Inbetweeners - Personally just didn't like it.
4. Black Books - S1 was amazing, S2/3 were terrible.
3. The IT Crowd - Mediocre.
2. Peep Show - Great
1. Father Ted - Great. Terrible cop out 'happy ending'.

Well at least Max N Paddy's road to nepotism wasn't on there. No JAM, no Bremner, Bird & Fortune and no TV offal.

Some of the ones you didn't rate (although I disagree on quite a few of your writeups that you didn't like much)

27. Star Stories - from the scenes shown and the interviews, this looked like poo poo of the highest order
23. PhoneShop - Only ever saw the first episode (not the Comedy Lab one) and it was garbage.
13. Fonejacker - Not as original concept as the talking heads would like you to think (Crank Yankers was years before), but a fun enough show.

Definitely agree that TV Offal should have placed, definitely when crap like PhoneShop was.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gonna have to disagree, did a Google lookup to see who replaced Iain Lee on RI:SE as I thought it ended with him, and C4 said this:

quote:

Join RI:SE anchor Mark Durden Smith and Edith Bowman - plus Colin Murray, Kirsty Gallacher, Chris Rodgers, Liz Bonnin and Henry Bonsu - as they present an exciting and unique blend of news, sport and weather updates.

'That sounds crap' thinks I, and then I realise that that was the original show and Iain Lee was the relaunch. I'm sorry, but there was nothing funnier than Lee taking the piss out of Kate Lawler to her face for 2 hours before work in the morning. Crap telly, sure, but so much fun.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Leon with a Zero posted:

You've missed out.

From what I've seen he really, really hasn't.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Drunk Badger posted:

Now one day I accidentally discovered The Inbetweeners, and it was probably the best show I've ever seen. However, when I had access to cable TV over the weekend I saw some ads for the US version, and it looked absolutely awful. I caught the end of "Sunshine Mountain", and I don't think I could stand an entire episode. Has anyone else seen this version, and is it as terrible as I believe?

The trailer for the MTV Inbetweeners is horrendous, but the show itself is... actually really enjoyable.

It's early days (3 episodes in of a 12 episode first season order), but I think it has potential to be better than the original. I always liked the British one, but I'm not the biggest fan and find that the more screentime Will gets, the more annoyed with him I am. (Although in the movie Will is a lot more tolerable, Simon is completely loving irritating to the point I would've pushed him off the aeroplane and Neil is made to be a cheat on his girlfriend for no real reason).). The writing is a bit pedestrian but for a show with mass appeal, it's a good laugh.

I think the casting on the American one suits the characters a little bit better, and even though the plots are recycled, and surprisingly closely for a show I didn't think would work in the US, they don't feel forced. My flatmate is not really a big sitcom fan at all, and even he laughed a good few times during the first episode.

In fairness, it's MTV. Beyond a few shows, for the past 30 years they've shown they really know how to make TV for teenagers. It's good to see they've some stuff on the air that doesn't completely outcast those of us with 10+ years out of high school.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mickolution posted:

Does it have swearing in it? One of the funniest things about the UK one was the putdowns and language they used. It's what made the show the most realistic, I reckon.

No, it's one of the only problems with the show. 'Bus Wankers' became 'Bus Turds' which doesn't really work as well. I'm sure I recall bits being bleeped out, so will probably be uncut on DVD versions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, to those who watch TTOI religiously - I'm a bit lost as to who's who again, if I just watch Season 3 should that totally catch me up? Still enjoyed the opening episode regardless, just need a bit of clarification in places.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, that should be enough. Maybe the specials too, but Series 3 should be enough.

Cheers, might use it as an excuse to watch the specials too. When I watched them, I accidentally did it in the wrong order and confused the hell out of myself for the most part!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for reminding me about Swiss Toni. I was having a pretty good day so far too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We had a brief chat about The Daily Show a bunch of pages back, I thought the website was working in the UK again because I was able to watch some videos on my laptop. Then I tried later on my desktop and couldn't so presumed it was an error.

Turns out it was because I had a custom DNS server in place on the laptop, and TDC site uses the DNS to work out your location, rather than Geo IP (Netflix does this as well). So if you want to see any of those videos, just add '208.67.222.222' to your DNS list. I use it as my primary, it won't slow down your connection like a Proxy/VPN does.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One of my friends dated her, and she's done favours for other friends. Never heard anything negative from anyone who knows her, and she makes me laugh on Celebrity Juice so hey.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty good set of guests until you get to Russell Howard.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DrVenkman posted:

Louie is completely unique in that it's someone's unfiltered thoughts coming through in half hour bursts each week. Sometimes it's funny, other times it plays it completely straight but it's purely Louis CK. It's brilliant television who's only real constraint is limited to when the creative force runs out of ideas. The 3-part episode this season was brilliant.

As well as having incredible writing, it looks absolutely wonderful too. It's such a well shot and edited show. When I saw the 'Coming soon...' compilation of BBC Dramas during the Olympics, it was show after show of identikit HDV-with-a-different-colour-preset stuff. Louie is done on a shoestring budget and really sets the bar as to what you can do with nothing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mainly taking the piss, although the BBC did used to have a fleet of Sony HDV cameras back a bunch of years ago during the transition.

The filtering looks terrible though, especially when you see the different shows side by side. I think using a solution like RED (which is what Louie uses) is far more aesthetically pleasing than Digi Beta, which is fine for stuff that's supposed to look 'real'... not so much for dramas. Just my opinion of course.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think they were just using them to see if they were good enough to replace the PD and DSRs with. I'm sure footage made the air (and certainly non-BBC productions did), but the white papers they produced weren't amazingly keen and they pretty much agreed the format wasn't good enough for real production. I still have my PD150, great little camera and built like a tank (useful, as I'm pretty clumsy).

I'm guessing you're right with regards to what they're using currently, it's amazing how quickly these things move in the grand scheme of things. At least anything that's shot now is relatively future proofed in comparison, it saddens me how amazing the 35mm shot US stuff from years back (Friends, Cheers, Seinfeld etc) looks now it's being remastered, but Black Adder and other video shot stuff is just going to age worse and worse as time goes on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When does the 'Bit More News' cut come out, I always thought it was the next day but the iPlayer version of HIGNFY is the normal one.

I'm not sure which joke everyone is referring to, but there is an awkward cut after Linehan says 'puppet' then seems to apologise... has it been chopped?

edit: ah there it is, I didn't realise Claire was going to go back to Hamza after the Chavez derail.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SeanBeansShako posted:

This Guest Presenter thing is quite old now, maybe they should seriously look for a proper one?

Absolutely, seems it just seems to be spreading given that Buzzcocks does the same thing (and it's equally irritating). You need someone who can provide a constant tone and flow to a show or it just seems too disjointed week to week.

Armstrong seems fine to me too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thought I'd give Hunted a shot after watching the first 3 episodes of Homeland s2. That was a bad idea, was hoping for some serious spy action but just seemed to be the usual crap, and yet another thing to add to my list of awful looking shows using bad colour graded video.

The Blu-ray of Tinker Tailor now on to fulfil my aesthetic needs. Bliss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I must admit I knew nothing about it before watching, other than it was a collaborative effort with HBO sister channel and nudity lovers Cinemax, and that Alan Sepinwall thought it had promise. Spooks was the first obvious comparison for me, so no surprise it's the same team. Do they air this after Homeland finishes on C4 or something then? It just feels typically cheap, where Homeland is one of the best things airing anywhere right now.