Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

movax posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14043/upgrading-from-an-intel-core-i7-2600k-testing-sandy-bridge-in-2019 This was one of my favorite recent AnandTech articles -- probably another version but with... 6700Ks?

:hfive:

6700K crew checking in. I've been running this setup for 5+ years now and I think I can get a bit more out of it if I find a reasonable upgrade for my Nvidia 970.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
If I want to try one of those new Intel CPUs, do I need a 240V outlet installed?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Nomyth posted:

y'all need to quit playing games so much

Mods?!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are people swapping graphics cards a lot?

I think my 970 is welded to the MB at this point.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I stumbled upon that elsewhere. I haven't been paying too much attention to CPUs other than the media blast of the new M1. Are we expecting any excitement from the keynote?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Who are these nerds?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Khorne posted:

The ST gaming benchmarks use the win11 version with the L3 cache bug and 3200 JEDEC memory. Actual ST difference should be significantly smaller.

Honestly, anyone with a 9XXXk cpu or better or zen2 or better has no incentive to upgrade to this platform or any other. At least not yet.

What about those of us in the 6700k army?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Presentation already over? I miss anything good?

Looking at Linus Tech Tips latest video, they're thinking that Intel benchmarked against AMD while AMD was having the WIN11 performance issues?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 27, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
When will we start seeing this Alder Lake benchmarks?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Isn't Q6600 the one where you could OC with tape?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

HalloKitty posted:

100w more than the 5950X and over a minute slower... ouch

Edit: oooh, ahh, lots of other articles are up. Time to peruse

el oh el. Just saw the Linus review, saying you need a large cpu cooler and room cooler if you get the 12900k.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mrk posted:

I've had my 6700K since October 2016, before that was an i7 3770K and before that an i5 2500K. These were all fantastic CPUs for their time and gave me many years of service.

The 6700K's service ended this week however as I was excited about the new 12th gen architecture...

Another soldier leaves the 6700k army. I'll continue to hold it down.

Great looking build. My desktop is going on 6 years old at this point, hope to build something come the new year.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Relatively speaking, how does the i7-6700u hold up?

A friend has an old HP Notebook laptop collecting dust. A quick look shows it sporting the i7-6700u with 6 GB of RAM.

If the processor is halfway decent I might try my hand at upgrading the RAM and adding an SSD. Find some usage for it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks for the advice. I bought a $50 500GB SanDisk SSD and installed it with no issues. Completely forgot to look at the RAM while I had it open though. :doh:

This thing hums along with the new SSD. I had a family member try it out and they couldn't notice any performance difference between it and their new laptop for the general tasks of surfing, youtube, emails etc...

Going to toss in a new $14 battery and call it good for now. All in all, a fun and successful project.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Honest question here:

From the benchmarks I've seen, DDR5 offers very little performance advantages over DDR4 and costs a lot more. Is the DDR5 showing unimpressive because this is the first generation, or is the DDR5 standard itself just bleh?

Or am I way off base?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
That all makes sense. Thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Your unhappiness didn't come from a lack of CPU power. Minimize your life and start working on what makes you happy.

The new CPU should help you find happiness at a faster rate.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I got $27 :lol:

Not a new employee either

Roughly, how does that compare to previous bonuses of the same type?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
From the outside looking in, I figured Intel would just have a giant bin of random items for employees by the building exit. After finishing up work for the day, just grab a 6700k and a USB stick on the way out.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think I put it somewhere in this thread, but i want to say my last quarterly bonus was like $20.

Wow. That has less value than a year-long membership to the "Jelly of The Month" club.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So apparently the tradeoff for the 14700K's performance bump is an additional 30W of juice: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/core-i7-14700k-raptor-lake-refresh-cpu-faster-but-uses-30w-more.html

Will I need to turn off my dryer to run that?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Indiana_Krom posted:

Intel: Max Turbo Power (W): Yes.

Run your desktop and dryer from the same outlet.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SpaceDrake posted:

Does the PSU just start spitting flames out the back of the tower once you hit the "encode" button

:psyduck: what the gently caress, intel

Gotta run it off your 240V dryer connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

HalloKitty posted:

240v circuits to home offices seems inevitable at this rate

Just lol if you don't have your desktop connected to your Dryer outlet.