Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Any AMD board in recent memory can be used with lots of the newer AMD processors because they've kept the same socket. I read all the time that boards that are 3-4 years old are running the latest and greatest. It isnt common, but AMD has done well keeping the socket they've been using. Kind of like LGA775, though there are a few boards that are 775 that cant use C2D/C2Qs, but mostly really early P4 boxes.

I run an Athlon 64 X2 on an Asus M2N-E board, the system is about 4 ish years old. Asus released a new bios this year that adds support for AM2+ and AM3 processors up to a Phenom II X4 495. That doesn't magic it up some USB 3.0 ports or anything but it makes for a nice interim upgrade if you want it.

The 754/939/940 socket clusterfuck between Socket A and Socket AM2 was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The Athlon XP days of huge rear end cpu coolers so the box didn't sound like a hair dryer. I had the aluminum/copper Zalman beast with the 120mm fan. Needed it's own little support brackets that bolted to the board. Just BARELY cleared the PSU.

The stock cooler on my 64 X2 is quieter and smaller, and keeps everything at a satisfactory temp. :unsmith:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

dud root posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Asrock boards? The Exp4 & Exp6 have 775 mounting holes, which I need for my water block. Ill be pairing it with the 2500k

Asrock boards are okay as long as you stay away from the crazy double architecture gimmick boards, those things never work right. The normal ones tend to be fine.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

sicarius posted:

I suppose I could go with an AMD product but I have never used one and am hesitant to do so.

I've used AMD products on the desktop for many years with few complaints, and most of them were about the crap VIA chipsets that were all that was available many years ago.

It's not going to kill you to wait a month for the new P67 boards though.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

greasyhands posted:

It'd be silly to buy anything else unless you need a small form factor.

I prefer the Xigmatek Gaia which is a very similar design. The boost for me over the 212+ is the rubber grommets mounting the fan, and they give you enough grommets to mount a second fan for push-pull config.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Alereon posted:

The Thermalright HR-02 Macho for $39.99 is also a good option for higher performance and lower noise without getting into crazy expensive supercooler territory.

Xigmatek Gaia and Arctic Cooling Freezer aren't bad either. Most heatpipe tower types with a big quiet fan will do a good job, if you want to push the overclocking look for one with direct touch heatpipes that makes it easy to mount a second fan.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

hobbesmaster posted:

That little SSD is the most useless thing...

I ran Ubuntu for a long time with a 30GB partition for / and it never got more than half full, but if you're running Linux you probably don't need the creme de la creme motherboard. And if you're buying that motherboard you're probably expecting to be doing a lot of gaming and therefore running Windows primarily.

I guess you could put the page file on it and/or keep a small linux install on it in case you gently caress up your windows install and need to look poo poo up to fix it.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I've put a faster processor in an older board and had it be a significant upgrade. Going from a 2.2ghz dual core to a 3ghz quad core is a drat good boost for my upgrade budget of next to nothing and made my system useful for several more years.

I've also swapped chips to new motherboards, usually because one died (stupid lovely capacitors :argh:)

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

movax posted:

Yeah, I feel like 775 was a bit of an exception simply because it saw some relatively large jumps in performance/cores during its lifespan. You could start out with a launch E6400 and end with a Q9500. With Sandy Bridge though, I think most enthusiasts started out with quad-cores, and there isn't as large of a performance delta between the most modern SKUs and launch SKUs.

It does suck though I suppose if you built a Sandy system with an i3 to start with, but I don't know how large the population of home builders doing that is.

This was with Socket AM2/+/AM3 (bios updates added support for newer chips to my AM2 board) but 775 was pretty long lived too. I usually build myself a middle of the road system because I don't game much, but an upgrade path being available is something I'm used to having. Swap out chip for a faster one that's now inexpensive because it's two years later, add 2 more sticks of RAM, voila! it feels practically new again.

My current system is going on 6 years old. Started with an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ and 4 GB of ram late in 2006, upgraded to an Athlon II 640 and 6 GB of ram in 2010. Could still add more RAM but the processor is almost the fastest the board can stand, performance gains from finding whatever the fastest 95W TDP Phenom II it could take are not going to be worth the money or effort.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Finally made the jump to Intel with an i5-4570 :toot:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The resource usage comparisons are nice but I think I'll stick with ABP because it doesn't seem to be semi-abandoned.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
BioStar isn't top tier but they are still beat out in shittiness by ECS/PC Chips and Foxconn

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Geez, that's definitely way too much.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
My dad, who is a competent electrician, replaced what was left of the old knob and tube wiring in our house during a major renovation. Got rid of the crumbling uninsulated lathe and plaster walls in all but one room too.

It was a farmhouse from 18 something with a conglomeration of amateur extensions and a red brick foundation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I'm surprised to see them go back to that orb style cooler, a simple heatpipe tower is way more efficient and I'm sure they could get someone to rebrand for them if they didn't want to design it.