Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jesus what's wrong with ASUS?! I'm considering buying a Haswell platform, but god drat they have a lot of models. For Z87 chipset alone they have:
- Sabretooth
- A
- C
- Deluxe
- Deluxe/Dual
- Expert
- K
- Plus
- Pro

That's 9 models! How I'm supposed to make an informed choice from that bunch? Do they even have some comparison spreadsheets available?

Edit: drat motherboard business is completely out of control. Looked at Gigabyte's offerings and they have no less than 15 different models for the same chipset! GA-Z87N-WIFI, GA-Z87P-D3, GA-Z87-D3HP, GA-Z87X-D3H, GA-Z87M-HD3, GA-Z87X-OC, GA-Z87MX-D3H, GA-Z87-HD3, GA-Z87X-UD4H, G1.Sniper 5, GA-Z87M-D3H, GA-Z87X-OC Force, GA-Z87X-UD5H, G1.Sniper M5, GA-Z87X-UD3H

I'm starting to understand why people buy market PC's or Mac's instead.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Martello posted:

Sabretooth. It looks the coolest. That's why I bought it, at least. :downs:

I thought it looked the siliest, with that fan and all :D I've always tried to buy most plain-looking products, since probably most of the effort was saved to make a quality product instead of a flashy looking one.

Shaocaholica posted:

Good luck using Newegg comparator. Only lets you compare 5 at a time and when you do the HTML table is broken. Even when you can see the data there's not much different between the models on paper. I think a lot of the differences are not in official spec like the grade of the components.

I don't really need much features, two sata ports and a bunch of usb ports is enough. Preferrably without any useless features like PCI or IDE ports. The 2000's called and wanted their legacy features back!

I've bought at least three Deluxe mobos from Asus and never had any problems with them. My current one is 4½ years old and still working. Pro seems to be the first moden model, so maybe I'll buy that and save a few bucks.

Pity they all have only four memory slots though: I need to throw away my 6x2GB sticks and buy 2x8GB to have room for a memory upgrade.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ft-05. You need a vertical case because hot air moves up naturally. You must make sacrifices (a window!) to get best possible performance: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=522&area=en

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm very wary of this, but it looks like DDR4 up to 2800 is already a very small price premium in general.

Edit: I just realized I have no idea what DDR4's long term prospects look like. For all I know that DDR4 2800 is the equivalent of DDR3-1333.

G.skill has some DDR4-4000 kits already.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've always wanted a 6core but the extreme cpu's are too expensive. A complete upgrade from i7 920 is also too expensive since I'm just a hobbyist. X5670 Xeons look like a good deal, I'll buy one and see how it OC's. I don't really need all that fancy new motherboard stuff.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'd sweat profusely if temps were even near 70C. I'd power down my system in panic if temps hit 90C, and check for broken fans.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

You just started high school, or what?

PCI gfx cards were bleeding edge compared to ols ISA cards. Voodoo, man.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

I have this ASUS model with a good-sized copper cooler on it and don't remember ever having a problem when it was my main although I broke it out recently and tried Furmark which caused it to crash. One cleaning and regreasing later and it's just fine, probably doesn't go over 75 at load.

I had the same card but the fan broke during warranty period so I got a new 5750 or something as a replacement. I was too lazy to wait for them to process the rma so I bought a HD6950(70) while waiting. It was a reference model so I had to replace the fan with Accelero pretty fast. I liked it, now I own Asus Strix 970 and the cooler is poo poo. I should probably rip the asus cooler away and get an Accelero again.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It has no real gpu. What do you do with a box like that? Is it meant for people who live in 10m^2 apartments in Manhattan?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I remember the good old times when buying my athlon processors "tray". The cpu came in a tiny bare cardboard box and had nothing extra. No heatspreaders ot anything, just a naked die. I wish we could go back to thise simpler times.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

sincx posted:

Sandy Bridge really was special. Sandy Bridge was the last generation of mainstream Intel chips that had a soldered heatspreader.

Hopefully AMD will do it properly and forces intel to compete.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

for what? the .0001% overclocking market?

I'm part of the .0001% market and many competing firms will try their best to sell me new products. Intel hasn't been doing that since SB. Companies will produce better products if someone else does better than they do...

If Zen is good and has solder or better tim than Intel, I bet Intel will improve in that regard too eventually. It's not like they don't know how to do it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So Kaby Lake has zero IPC gains. Not surprised at all. AMD, please be good this time!

E: reviews were posted some time ago already

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7-7700K_vs_6700K_Game_Performance/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10968/the-intel-core-i7-7700k-91w-review-the-new-stock-performance-champion

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I3 K is also dual core and has terrible pricing. For same price you can buy a faster cpu used, with more cores, or if you want new, a quadcore for not much more..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Intel could make a cpu with the same die size as i7 920.. and cram like 12 cores+ extra cache if they ditch the gpu, to the same size. Why not..?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm afraid to even move my pc anymore after reading all these stories about someone moving their pc 6cm and it failing to boot afterwards, caps exploding etc. My asus p6t deluxe is old, but hopefully it'll last another month or two before a catastrophic failure!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I wonder what it's actually going to hit.

From the amd thread:

Klyith posted:

AMD's TDP numbers are not the same as other TDP numbers -- when they say a part uses 95 watts, there's no max or maybe about it. That chip is eating those 95 watts and then licking the plate for leftover electrons.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Those are just the prices at microcenter. They are always discounted.

No Microcenter in Europe. Bad Euro value. Sky high CPU prices!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How hard it can be to use good thermal paste? I've used the same 3 gram tube of Arctic Silver 3 since the dawn of time, and temps are the same after all the years. Arctic Silver 5 is under $10 and you can use it for many, many CPU's. So what is the issue with the lovely pastes?!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Scarecow posted:

AMD: "Boy my VRM's ran really hot on my 290x GPU's"
INTEL: "Thats nothing, Hold my beer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7BqAjC4ZCc

Is there some reason motherboards replaced actual heatsinks with heat insulators? Looking at my old mobo they have all these copper heatsinks and heatpipes snaking around: http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/asus/p6t-deluxe/board.jpg

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What is wrong with intel? Ht to i5 and i3 series? More than 4 cores to i5, more than 2 to i3?! Cores were supposed to be super duper expensive and hard to manufacture, and heat output would get out of control! What next, will they start soldering dies to the hs?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Intel calling upon alien demon technology gods with their solar eclipse press day

Boost clock of 4.7 GHz on the 8700K sounds a little too insane. That's higher than the 4.6 GHz at which I could keep my Ivy Bridge 4c/8t stable, and I delidded that thing later on, too.

Maybe they're soldering dies to ihs again? :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'd buy that 8700K if it was as fast as kbl-x (8440x or whatever it is called?) and you could get decent $150 mobos for it, like in AMD side. Maybe then my dota 2 would run even smoother at 60fps

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

8700K looks like (nearly) a no-compromise upgrade for i7 920. TIM is bad but what can you do, use an old rear end cpu forever? I was a bit late with ordering so I have to wait for the cpu for an unknown amount of time.

Single or dual rank memory? 4x8 or 2x16? 3200mhz cl14 g.skill or something slower/faster? Dunno about what kind of memory would be good on Intel platforms.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why wouldn't you take advantage of one of those $329 Dell T30s with the four-core Xeons?

They disabled the functioning M.2 slot with a bios update :smith:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It feels weird that nowdays CPU's come with such low tdp values. I7 920 has 2,6GHz clocks with 130W tdp :v: And that was nothing unusual back in the day.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I7 920 still works.

Barely. Can't wait for my 8700K. Ice lake may be better, they might release 8core coffee lakes, whatever. I want to upgrade already, I hate my fps in some of the newer games!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

At this speed coffee lake is not available before ice lake and Ryzen 2 arrive... :suicide:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've been using my i7 920 with some noctua cooler since 2008 with the same Arctic silver 3 paste. Idle temps have been around 40C, gaming 55C, full load 65-67C as long as I remember. So at least AS3 hasn't needed a repaste yet. I probably won't look at how the paste looks as long as it keeps working.

I plan to try AS3 with my new 8700k if I ever get one. I haven't bought a new tube since early 2000's and as long as it works, why change...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Suddendly my 8700K arrived. Now i have no other parts...

Ordered maximus x hero, 3600c15 2x8gb g.skill, 250gb 960 evo (for OS), thermalright hr02 macho.

Memory and cooler are not available in Finland. I don't know where I should order those to get them sooner :/ Many European shops don't ship to Finland anymore.

I thought I'd never get the cpu, so I wasn't in any rush ordering the other parts.. well poo poo happens!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well at least intel is in no rush to make them. I mean mine is made mid July and others I've seen were made in last week of July? Even if they ship them from Malaysia, how can it take 3 months?

I preordered mine on 5.10. and got it 2 days ago. No prepayment required. Just put in a pre-order asap and you usually get what you need eventually :)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why won't they take pre-orders? I pre-ordered my 8700K from Jimm's PC (Finland's 2nd largest hardware store) without prepayment. Then they shipped it to me right after 3 weeks, when they got their first shipment.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Uh hmm how do I set the maximum multipler on 8700k? Normally it uses only 43x, but I'd like to try 47x. When I put in "sync all cores to 47x", it meant that all cores ran at 4,7GHz all the time. It would be a lot better if the cpu reduced the multipler with lighter load.

With my old asus p6t deluxe it was basically 1 option, but I guess with maximus x hero I need to adjust more options?

Also I got some stability problems with g.skill 3600cl15 with the default 0.95/1.05 vccsa/io. Put them to 1.0375/1.0875 or something like that and memory tests didn't give any errors. Hopefully those volts won't be too high :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm sure the mem prices will crash eventually. Personally I've always managed to time my upgrades so I've paid the highest mem mfg cartel price and next year the same stuff is sold for half the price.

I didn't dare to overclock my 8700K, prime95 smallfft causes 90+ temps at 1.23V on 4,7GHz... The CPU cooler doesn't even feel warm to hand so I'll have to swap the TIM some day to liquid metal.

Anyways, while playing dota cpu temps are around 40C, pubg was 50-55C. So my 970gtx and 60fps screen are the new bottlenecks. Hilariously thermalright hr02's fan spins only around 350rpm while playing pubg.. dota was lower.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

That seems awfully high. What heat sink are you using? Small ftt doesn't go higher then 75 on my chip @ 1.3 with no delid

No delid, some old rear end arctic silver 3 (which I had barely left for the ihs), thermalright hr-02 cooler. Avx offset 0. I doubt many apps push avx as hard as prime95, so I see no point in using avx offset yet

E:techreport got around 80C at 4,8GHz with 280mm AIO loop:

"-- good for 4.8 GHz on all cores under AVX workloads. Incredibly, that configuration was happy even under Prime95 loads with an observed 1.284-1.296V using dynamic Vcore on our Aorus motherboard, so it wasn't difficult to cool at all— 80° C or so was the order of the day with a Corsair H115i on top."

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 3, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

SlayVus posted:

When I bought my 920 and x58, I paid like $400-$600 for 3x2GB of ddr3-2100. A year later the same set was selling for like $150/$200.

My story is nearly the same. Except it was 300€ for 1333Mhz... Next year 150€. I wish I had bought faster :)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm using Silverstone Raven 02, with three 180mm intake fans for positive pressure. I ran the case for 5 years without ever cleaning it, except fan filters. Motherboard and all components were basically dust-free, there was a little bit of dust in some places of the case but it took only like a minute or two to blow& wipe away. Seems good.

The case lays on some kind of packaging material to stop the fan echo from my wooden desk. I have 4mm bitumen? carpets on side panels some other surfaces to add weight, and 4cm bitumen/foam on front and back. It is heavy as gently caress but still a regular 7200rpm drive will cause it to resonate, so I've suspended it with two elastic bands.

Now with Maximus X Hero motherboard, the computer is actually pretty quiet thanks to better fan controls. Cpu fan at 200rpm and case fans around 500 (DC, so they won't go any lower). The case fans move around 10cfm per 100rpm. After tweaking fan curves, the only thing which keeps noise in gaming and regular use is the mechanic HDD's clicking and gpu fans. Asus strix gtx 970 has very loud fans. Maybe I should try to adjust the fan curve to allow it to go over 70C? By default it apparently aims for around 65C.

The PC is in a corner of concrete room. Would it help to reduce the echo from fans if I added some sound absorbent panels to walls? I have no idea how to place them though :)

E: Oh uh sorry this was an intel thread :F

E2: Out of curiousity, Noctua NF-A14 moves 82cfm at 1500rpm so these ap181 fans do the same at 800rpm. Of course they're quite loud at that point already. No idea about the loudness of Noctua'd fan at full speed.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 4, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Conductonaut between ihs and cooler is riskier and doesn't have a big benefit anymore, like a few degeees compared to the 20C you can get with just delid. Also someone said it melts the text off your ihs, and your cooler depending on what it is made of. Also bigger risk for it to get to wrong places.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

In more fun news, don't forget to apply security patches to your processors: https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr

Why is that garbage included in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I think parts of the socket hit against the base of the cpu cooler. You'd have to carve parts of the socket away to fit most heatsinks with good contact to shim& cpu core.