Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I've been out of the cell phone game for a while. How many phone models come with the charging circuit built in, just requiring you to buy the charger? I remember the Bionic offered a different back cover which was a little thicker and wouldn't fit in any cases, and combined with the charger it was around $100. Awful, just awful.
I bought a 4€ Qi receiver for my Galaxy S4 that fits inside the standard back cover and bulges only a little bit. The Galaxy S5 charging pad cost 30€ and works fine with the S4 and Lumia 930, except the Lumia is quite picky about the spot.

But you're right, the technology should be much more wide spread. I don't think I'll be willing to buy another mobile device without Qi charging. gently caress cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

EdEddnEddy posted:

That is one of the worst things HDTV's have brought out in years. I believe the only time it is semi good is when watching Sports, but movies are just destroyed by it, and it looks the worst when you watch a Animation either drawn Disney like stuff, or 3D Pixar content. Both are impossible to watch as the blending just does not work in fast movement scenes and such. :barf:

I don't think you can blame HDTV for that. Later SD CRT televisions already supported 100/120Hz and they created extra frames by interpolation.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I bought into 16 GB two years ago and I wouldn't feel bad about 32 GB now for a gaming or workstation build. That's like another $100 on top of your build, which is minimal relative to the chance of future-proofing.

My AM1 fileserver even has 8 GB in a single DIMM so I could upgrade if needed (2 slots). I am actually just going to upgrade to my Z400 with 16GB ECC RAM.

On the other hand future-proofing RAM is silly since it's the most easy upgrade you can do on a computer as long as you haven't filled all the slots. Fill half of the slots and then buy more when you need it or when the price of the DIMMs stops dropping.

It would be more worthwhile to put that money on a bigger SSD, which is a bit annoying to upgrade.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

DrDork posted:

Yeah, but those are also specially designed systems where the board layout, heatsink, fans, and chassis are all explicitly designed to work together to provide the proper ducting and airflow to make it all work. If you ripped the heatsink out of that 1U setup and just dropped it onto a normal ATX board and case, it would not fare well at all.

True, but if you provide enough airflow for the case so that the temperature inside doesn't rise too much, then the 4000 RPM fan on the Dynatron will be able to keep the CPU cooled. Certainly not an ideal solution.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

Prime95 uses FFTs to implement large integer multiplication and FFTs are used in a wide variety of scientific and engineering applications.

So basically you can use Prime95 to test your overclocking in a situation where you would not be overclocking.

A while ago I read a comment that you shouldn't use P95 to test your OC and I understood the argument in the way, that if you limit your OC to where Prime95 is stable you will not get full power out of your CPU. You can OC to a degree where P95 is crashing or causing the CPU to thermal throttle, but games or anything else you do would still work perfectly at that stage.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

That sounds like a good idea. After trying stock cpu usage was 10%

I bet it's something stupid like flowers.

Getting rid of any problematic mods is the correct solution, but what is your fundamental problem? Is the problem that Minecraft is running slow even when using all of the CPU, or is the problem that your other programs are running slow because MC is hogging all the CPU? If the problem is the latter you may mitigate it by going to Task Manager and configure process affinity for Minecraft process, so that is only allowed to use 2 or 3 cores of your CPU.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

Hey guys why are my temps so high???

Aaaaw yeah my H110i finally got delivered to replace my ageing H100. (loving finally)

Have you considered setting the fans to pull through the radiator, that would make cleaning it easier? I have my CPU heatsink set like that and it even collects surprisingly little dust.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

I've been messing with ffmpeg and making my own webms and various h264 re-encodes, and I'm really hating how slow it can be sometimes.

Here's hoping Kaby Lake comes with a fair bit of generational improvement.

Would it be more useful to invest in software that can use GPU for the encoding?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

I think most people have been throwing away physical media in favor of streaming subscriptions with the exception of collector editions. I think the only people I know of that are buying physical media are all over the age of 50 (still a large group of consumers with disposable income, but they're declining by definition) or hipsters specifically for LPs. Otherwise, people with kids may be using digital downloads instead.

Earlier this year I decided to finally finish watching Buffy. I watched few eps on Netflix and then I decided to compare the picture quality to the DVD collection I also owned. And the DVDs had superior quality and 16:9 widescreen format compared to the dim and dark 4:3 format on Netlix, probably close in quality to the original TV broadcasts. Supposedly Joss Whedon considers that the correct and true way to watch Buffy, but I'll have none of that.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Pretty sure they don't. I think Linus used to work for Canadian version of Newegg.

And he was doing pretty much the same thing, hosting NCIX Tech Tips. I watch quite a bit of their videos, but you shouldn't do it if you want to extract useful information. The reason to watch them is top see them do something silly and ridiculous that you don't usually see. Sometimes they also have interesting ideas, like the HTC Vive extension cord, you just need to wait for someone to execute them better.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Its not a QC issue its a design/cost issue. They save a few bucks per CPU with the current IHS/TIM set up vs using a soldered IHS. For stock clocks it works fine enough. Its when you want to OC that it becomes a problem.

I wish they would try to save a few cents more and use less glue in the lid. I mean, in the video he didn't actually remove the lid, he just removed the excess glue.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

In what kind of situations do those extra PCIe lanes provide noticeable benefit?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Fiber is great for heaps of data but has relatively poor durability/flexibility compared to copper/metal cables= that poo poo is gonna break FAST in a VR rig where you move around a lot.

DrDork posted:

I thought one of the benefits of the latest few classes of TB optical cables was massively increased durability compared to traditional fiber? Some of Corning's stuff advertises "zero bend" cabling and basically says you can tie the stuff in knots without ill effect. I mean, I'd imagine it's never going to be as durable as anything copper (unless you throw a pretty hefty jacket around it), but it would seem the current stuff puts the most likely point of failure back on the connector bits rather than the bulk cable itself.

The Linus Tech Tips "optically cabled VR headset" video does indicate that optical cable can be quite durable.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

bobfather posted:

I also lolled often because the SP firmware updates would be delivered by Windows Update. It never happened to me, but I always wondered if the computer would ever force a reboot to install updates, start installing a firmware update automatically, and then have the install fail, bricking the device. I have never owned any computer that had automatic firmware updates, and while I'm aware that in the days of UEFI firmware updates are a lot less scary, I've been using computers for long enough that "hold your breath" is a common practice for firmware updates of all kinds.

I know a guy who experienced something like this. He was doing a test install of Win10 on a system with and SDI card. The driver install for the card also updated the firmware. At 80% of the reflash Win10 BSODed, resulting with a bricked $1000 SDI card.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm trying real hard to cut down on computer junk, so I'm looking at smaller rather than larger. I'd really like to maybe have a RVZ01 or that new water-cooled DAN case that I can put on my desk as a primary system, and then either have a short+shallow half-height rack with a couple 2U/3U chassis for processing servers and a small portable Synology-sized NAS (U-NAS NSC-810a case).

Have you considered attaching your PC under the desk? When it's out of the way it doesn't really matter how big the case is. I don't think there is small enough case that I would want to put it on my desk.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

My first PC was 286, but the first computer I bought myself was a 386. I bought a used set of 386 CPU, motherboard and RAM and installed them in the 286. This was sometime after 1995, so I was 10+ years behind PC evolution at that point.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I want to move to using linux on all my machines, since I've developed a preference for it due to setting up and running a server and using a mac. Is it easy to migrate a physical windows installation to a kvm one? I would just reinstall it, but i'm a bit worried about having to re-register my installation since I don't remember where I kept the key (and I might've used it to register the boot camp installation on my macbook...)

You probably would have needed to re-register it anyway, with such a significant hardware change.

Just buy cheap Win 7/8 OEM keys from eBay or SA Mart and forget about this worry. I registered my Win 10 with £5 Win 7 Pro key I bought from eBay.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Since we're talking about Meltdown...

Microsoft's Windows 7 Meltdown fixes from January, February made PCs MORE INSECURE

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

We just received couple HPE Proliant servers with Xeon Gold 6146 processors which took almost month and a half to deliver. Initial estimate for the processors was 60 days. I just ordered another server. On the original configuration the CPU had normal delivery time, but the 64GB RAM sticks had 60 days. I don't know what RAM shortage we are suffering now. Fortunately we could swap it to different similar model with usual delivery time.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I'm surprised there hasn't been talk of the Intel's new Xeon R-line processors, their weird subterfuge to avoid dropping CPU prices. Feels like they are finally starting to feel pressure from AMD.

We were planning to purchase new server and Xeon Gold 6248 was the prime candidate, when we noticed the 6248R for slightly lower price. But instead of a cheaper 6248, the new processor is more like a rebranded Platinum 8268, twice the price of 6248.

Intel Xeon Gold 6248R Benchmarks and Review Big Refresh Gains
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=192481,199351,192446

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Coffee Jones posted:

How possible is this kind of per-process suspension on a PC?

For Linux there is a software called CRIU (Checkpoint/Restore In Userspace) to do that.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Is this the chip that'll have the Shared Virtual Memory feature which removes the requirement for pinning memory when doing PCI passthrough in hypervisor guests?

:ninja:EDIT: Yes, I think it is?

When reading this post I just started thinking what kind of names the vulnerabilities will get.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

silence_kit posted:

The cables are so cheap though. It is really hard for me to believe that cell phone charger cable manufacturing uses a lot of energy.

Friend recently complained how his son had broken the USB-port on his cellphone and he really wasn't interested on paying 69€ for the repair on a 200€ phone, and he was even less interested on doing the work himself. Those ports don't fail often, but I bet the expenses of a single failed port would cover the wireless charging resources for a whole lot of people.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

wargames posted:

Apple just completely buys out an advance node and lets everyone else backfill the node they left.

The news was about how that specifically did not happen. Intel bought out the TSMC 3nm node and Apple was left with the old and busted 5nm.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

yeah it's the one thing I don't like about my Noctua cooler, is that larger cards sit so close that you can't hit the slot release without taking a knife and shoving it down there. A quick-release button that doesn't sit under the GPU is a very tidy solution to that.

I'd actually rather they just took the slot lock off. Things worked fine without it, I'm not sure why we suddenly needed it other than it being "fancier/newer/better". Obviously you can just rip it off yourself but.. I'd rather not. Unless there's some trick to removing it without putting a ton of force on the slot?

Things worked fine, because all the motherboards were horizontal, all the add in cards were small and light, and the big and heavy cards were all long enough that they attached to the rails at the front of the case.

I'm sure the AGP people wouldn't have specified such an extra expense and annoyance if they hadn't found it necessary in testing.

You might think the screwing the bracket would be enough, but I don't think the manufacturing quality of cases is high enough to rely on that. I used to have a case where you couldn't fasten the GPU once it was locked in the slot, the bracket notch and slot screw hole were way too misaligned. I had to put the screw on the hole below bracket.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

BobHoward posted:

You're way too confident that this would work well in practice. Linus Torvalds himself is well aware of the idea, and has dismissed it.

Here's one of the issues I saw brought up in the discussion thread where he poo poo on the idea. As an application programmer, how do you even detect that it's a good idea to try executing AVX512 instructions? On x86 platforms (including Linux), for quite a long time, the standard (if you want to take advantage of optional instructions, that is) has been to use the CPUID instruction to directly query the CPU about its capabilities, then set one or more global variables to select which subroutine to call when the program wants to crunch vector math. But if you're running on a hypothetical Alder Lake where some cores have AVX512 enabled and others do not, what you get back from CPUID depends on which core you happen to be running on at the moment. Your application could wrongly conclude that the processor doesn't support AVX512 at all just because it ran on a small core when it did its feature check.

The standard CPUID query could only return the features that are common for all cores. If an application wants to use the fancy features it should do a special query to return a per-core feature set and be required to tell the scheduler which cores the thread is allowed to use.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

What is the price and power consumption of a chip that runs at -18% performance by default?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

That's probably the efficiency gain for PSUs that really matter. As napkin math let's assume 200 million business desktops worldwide that are always on mostly idling, so that 4w would total to about 7 TWh savings per year, about a half a nuclear plant.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Sure but I don't see how that works in favor of Intel's approach here (they'd have to significantly drive down costs of their Xeon money maker while still having the accelerators on die anyways while Genoa eats their lunch) and I don't see how it'll drive adoption of these accelerators either which will greatly diminish their practical value in the market place.

If the premise is that there are some features that only few customers want, then there are several scenarios how Intel could handle it.

1. They could manufacture different hardware SKUs, but this would cause unwanted expenses. Most CPUs wouldn't have the features, small portion would feature A, another B, and a tiny portion both A and B.

2. They could only only manufacture full featured CPUs. This would force most customers to overpay for features they don't want, and the few customers that want them would get the CPUs cheaper than they are worth.

3. They can hardware disable the features. This way they can build a single product, but sell it a different prices to customers.

4. They can software disable the features. Similar situation to the previous, but if you get a new version of the software that could benefit from the feature youcan then license it instead of buying new hardware. This would significantly improve the chances the feature would achieve wider use.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Stadia was poo poo for a whole bunch of reasons entirely unrelated to the underlying Hardware as a Service model.

What problems did it have? The one time I tried it at friend's place it worked fine and he had been happy with the service.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

priznat posted:

The things that really don’t make sense to me are the tri mode raid controllers where people are plugging nvme drives into it. Is there really any benefit? Do people really want to run RAID on nvme in tyool 2023?? This honestly seems like a scam to me for people selling enterprise hardware to people who don’t know any better.

At work we'll probably end up with that until RHEL starts supporting ZFS. And even then it will probably take some convincing that ZFS is better than battery backed write cache. It probably limits them quite a bit, but I would assume NVMe behind RAID is still much faster than SAS.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

True, enterprise NVMe should have battery, and I think some of them actually have them, if not all. I think flash could end up in bad shape if it loses power suddenly. I think RAID-cards nowadays mostly have flash-backed write cache. A stick of RAM, flash storage and enough capacitor to write the RAM contents to flash in power outage.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

in a well actually posted:

ZFS on nvme is fine, but kinda underwhelming. A design around spinning rust doesn’t really drive a billion low latency iops well.

RHEL will never officially support ZFS unless Oracle changes the license. (Yes I know it’s a yum install away, but that’s too far for corporate)

Yeah, or if Red Hat and Oracle make some kind of deal. But then I remember how Red Hat suddenly purged Oracle Java from their distros.

So not much hope for ZFS with us, we are loathe to use anything besides vanilla kernel. We mostly use HPE ProLiant servers and we don't even use drivers from HPE, except in one server where the kernel RAID driver kept crashing for some reason. But that hasn't been without issues either, one time I updated to the latest smartpqi and the RAID ran so slow it caused an outage for the service and we had to revert to the old version. Haven't dared to upgrade again.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

It would probably be so much simpler if the games just gave the recommendations as required benchmark results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

I honestly don't see the issue with unlockable CPUs. The alternative is the situation right now, where they just permanently fuse off the features instead without the option of upgrading in place.

I definitely agree with this. We are currently considering upgrading the CPU on an older server. The server is working perfectly fine, but people want to use it with a software that requires significantly more cores. Upgrading the CPU or replacing the server are both options with annoying expense and hassle.