Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

The turbo button used to slow computers down, not speed them up.

It did speed them up when you pressed it a second time :v:

I'm actually really excited about Sandy Bridge. I don't do overclocking, and the current i5 stuff seems beastly, and this just an improvement on top of that. My C2D Wolfdale chip is still doing what I want it to do, but I'd like to retire it to server duty and get one of these when they drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think for bulk storage, platter drives will be supreme for a while. There was a nice 2TB drive on Amazon.com for like 80$ the other day. The dollar : gigabyte ratio on that is insane. I'm also waiting for a reasonably priced 120+ GB SSD (I may be waiting for a while) for a boot and some app drive. Ive watched enough of those "boot windows and launch 150 program" videos to see how stupidly fast they are.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Why the hell is a business going to care if Amazon.com is running slowly?

Domino effect. Today Amazon does it, tomorrow Myspace, next week Google. Like lots of things, it'll lake time to establish but eventually you will see it on drat near every big site on the Internet. Then some big CEO demands that they use the Next Big Thing (tm) and there you go. Is it going to happen tomorrow? No, but it will happen.

E: and i could see it being used for menu and drop down boxes for internal sites. You don't see it today, but if you use your imagination you could see how nicer easy menus that are graphically driven could be easier for business use.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 17, 2010

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

ilkhan posted:

As to new socket, if 5% of consumer upgraded their CPU I'd be amazed, if *1%* have ever upgraded their CPU without a mobo swap I'd also be amazed. I certainly have never done a CPU upgrade without a new mobo. Its a non-issue. The only people who care are us enthusiasts and we can sell our old boards WITH the CPU, so its *still* not a big deal.

Any AMD board in recent memory can be used with lots of the newer AMD processors because they've kept the same socket. I read all the time that boards that are 3-4 years old are running the latest and greatest. It isnt common, but AMD has done well keeping the socket they've been using. Kind of like LGA775, though there are a few boards that are 775 that cant use C2D/C2Qs, but mostly really early P4 boxes.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Lum posted:

Pretty sure that every Intel based Mac uses EFI rather than BIOS.

This is true, I think board manufacturers have been playing with EFI since 2004ish (no real sources to back it up other than Intel based Macs coming to the scene) so I wouldn't worry about being a test dummy.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The other side of the coin is that over this generation processors are doing more work per clockcycle than before. I would bet a dollar or two that my E8400 (assuming I could turn one core off) can do more work faster than any of the p4 era 3.0GHz processors. AMD really started this trend with their Athlon 64 line, lower clocks but faster. Numbers for requirements were probably inflated a bit (like the wattage on crappy power supplies are) to make sure you could get the performance you needed

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I really was going to try to extend the life of my E3110 (already overcoocked) but I think I'll be a day one buyer. I've always been an Asus man, and they pretty much sealed the deal that I will continue to be. Farewell Wolfdale, enjoy your life as a media server!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Has there been anything stating if the cooler mounting holes are the same as 1156/1366? I was thinking about picking up a Corsair H50 which works with my current LGA775 as well as 1156/1366. If the mounting points are the same, I would go ahead and get it, but I don't want to spend the money on a nice cooler and have it not fit within 3 months

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think it was on tech report, but they were showing the new SB i5s as fast as the 980x in most all situation except where it could use the extra cores and hyper threading, so I would wager a bet that the i7 ones will be just as insane and without the price premium that the 6 core beasts have.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If I am coming from a dual core Wolfdale chip, would it behoove me to wait it out until whatever the i5k SKU for Haswell is or should I just go with Ivy? I occasionally Photoshop and do some gaming, but I don't really do anything like virtualization or the like.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I have one of those C2550 boards for my home NAS that I purchased in January of last year :smith:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

For what it’s worth, I have an ASRock quad core ITX atom board and they overnighted me an RMA no questions asked.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

For one thing the motherboard says there are TWO M.2 slots, but it looks like there is only one on the motherboard.

Second it’s hard to see the pins on there, I don’t want to just hamhandedly mash in a drive.

Check on the back of the motherboard, sometimes they get stuffed back there. Other times there is a removable heatsink somewhere that hides a second M.2.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

You could leave it stock and delid it so your fans or coolers run less and are quieter.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So when are we going to find these keys on Aliexpress for $3

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Looking at Intel's old processor releases, there doesn't seem to be anything for LGA1155 that has more than 4 cores, which is a bummer. I wanted to dabble in virtualization, and having an extra 2-4 cores would have been handy for that. Is there anything obvious that I am missing?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

bobfather posted:

I'm not sure if you're stuck to LGA 1155, but if you aren't you could always look into LGA 2011 systems. For example, the E5-1650 v2 is 6c12t, 3.2 ghz and if you paired it with a X99 board you can even overclock it a fair amount.

Even if overclocking isn't your thing, you can find used workstations on Ebay for $375 shipped that come with 16GB of RAM.

Yeah I was hoping for more of a drop in replacement because I can’t totally justify a new system. I think I can hold off because it’s more of a ‘it would be fun’ and by an I need type of deal.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Intel is also sending out the processors after the AMD contest wins, so unless AMD is a real bro and extends the date, looks like nobody is getting their threadrippers.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Winks posted:

No high end performance laptop will run without throttling when crammed into a poorly cooled, tiny chassis like that. This has been the case for years and years.

Yeah but it shouldn't throttle itself on base clocks. I know TBP is really arbitrary and that saying a 45w TDP doesn't mean a whole lot, but its pretty silly that they are selling a product that is labeled a pro product that can't do heavy tasks and meet even non turbo speeds without pulling back, especially given the price premium.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

We agree on that. I’m not putting this on Intel (other than really all chip manufacturers needing to get more realistic about TDP) but more that it is absurd that a top end laptop should be able to peg all the cores and can’t.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So for those that really didn’t ever follow it, what was the big hype from Itanium to begin with and how did it fall flat on its face?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I remember buying a Soyo Dragon for my socket a machine and thinking It was the hottest poo poo around. I am actually surprised that Soyo is still around today

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I was going to say that would be a killer (if vastly overpowered) HTPC but it looks like there are some hang ups with the AMD GPU and some DRM and encoding schemes.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I could also see it filling the same niche for DOTA/LoL cards full because I feel like there are a ton of lower end cards that get shipped off overseas that fill literally that niche.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought 2.5 can still be run over the Cat5e installations that most homes have if they are lucky enough to have been pre-wired

I'd love 10G even with some expensive and noisy used enterprise equipment but I'm not running new Cat6 in my walls

Serve The Home has gotten 10gbps from really short Cat5e if I remember correct.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

DrDork posted:

Apple is probably the only ones who are going to be able to make it work, because they're the only ones who can force the entire ecosystem to move in the direction they want. Microsoft failed because developers weren't interested in solving the chicken-and-egg issue of making software for hardware no one wanted because there was no software for the hardware (among other reasons).

A big part of this is because they can probably get a lot of the app store apps working if it is the same architecture. It will break a lot of things, and it will probably be a huge pain for a ton of devs, but I don't think it would be a day-1 reset for absolutely everything.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It’s a combo of their architecture, years of improvements that they can pull from the mobile side, and their software. They control it all from top to bottom.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I know it’s a workstation / server card so power is kind of a different beast but lol at the processor alone drawing more than a regular 15-amp breaker could provide.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a new embedded fun server board like the Atom 3xxx series that intel makes that could be good for a NAS setup? I haven’t looked at new hardware anytime recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

The Alder Lake-N family has the x7425E but no idea if it's available in any server boards yet. I've seen Tremont-based boards though on Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004757954007.html

I was looking at these but apparently there are issues with the 225/226 NICs and not a lot of documentation on folks actually using them. That was my top pick but until I know the NIC will work well, I don’t want to drop the money.

E: Brian Moses apparently made one from the N5105 motherboard. Don’t see why the N6005 boards won’t work. He used TrueNAS Scale which seems to have more robust hardware support.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 25, 2023