Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Panty Saluter posted:

I don't know what I'd do with all that cache but I want it

Have your system crash from cache bitflips most likely. I wonder how long it will be before ECC pushes down to the consumer space since the cost difference is fairly small these days and the large cache/dimm sizes are just asking for problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I thought only on the Xeon line, but I could be wrong on that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Captain Hair posted:

I would be curious to see how my system would hold up with a 970 gtx fitted though. Do games ever pass stuff to cpu if the gpu is maxed out? Just a thought as that would flip the whole situation on its head really but I'm not sure any games actually do that?

There are some game engines that, when you take the graphics settings down to low, certain things that would have been done on the GPU are pulled back to a CPU thread which can actually result in reduced performance. Don't have a comprehensive list, but it absolutely is a thing that exists in certain situations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

No it wasn't I mean, if you're going for the ultimate NUC, might as well get the SSD of SSDs :unsmigghh:

I have no idea if an M.2 adapter module/cable exists so that you can cram it into the Skull Canyon, though.

Does that thing have some kind of ribbon cable that connects to a PCIe slot? I've only seen the M.2 and the conventional expansion card ssd's, that one is new to me.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

priznat posted:

This form factor (sff-8639 or U.2 as Intel is calling it) is mostly for enterprise backplanes etc.. The cables mechanically identical to the somewhat defunct SATA-Express so we might see some motherboards with ports but I think it'll be rare, slot and m.2 are gonna be the vast majority of consumer grade for a while.

Also those nvme drives get stonkin' hot, they need a real good airflow.

Nice. One of the issues I've bumped in to with VM hosts it how to handle SSD caching drives, either you put them on the SAS/SATA controller and eat the throughput limitations or you stick them in the PCIe expansion slots and cross your fingers that you don't need to add any additional expansion cards for NICs or whatever. Glad to see they're working to make the disk backplanes usable again.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

This gives a pretty good rundown on how to connect a U.2 drive to current systems, if you were ignorant like me.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sff-8639-u.2-pcie-ssd-nvme,29321.html

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

And the NVMe controller chips run hotter?

E: hey there new page, sup?

They're supporting a 32gbit bus instead of an 6/12gbit one and you're pulling more of the logic up from the system board directly to the drive.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

They probably mean this. Unfortunate coincidence as far as the name goes. The top benchmarks on their website are all Xeons, followed by the 5960X, then the 5930K and 5820K. If a Xeon isn't an option the 5820K seems like the obvious choice.

If its anything like raytracing in revit, they're CPU bottlenecked but can scale to as many cores as you can throw at it so Xeons usually fare well because you're getting 8+ of them or whatever. the problem generally is that lots of this software when you're moving through a 3d model normally its bottlenecked on a single CPU thread, so you have to balance CPU clock for normal usage and massive parallelism for render jobs. this could all be sorted out if they just dumped the render jobs to OpenCL/CUDA where it belongs but: LOL that industry is so hosed I'm not holding my breath. What we're currently doing is issuing a normal i5 system with a high clock speed/4 cores for normal design/review usage and then we keep a pool of 2 or 3 high-end xeon desktops with a bunch of cores that people RDP in to when they need to fire off the render job because that is less common.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

RH goes down as temps go up so just turn off all the power management features and leave that sucker on 24/7.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

canyoneer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4j15bs/were_the_intel_team_behind_the_new_skull_canyon/

Some Intel dudes went onto Reddit for a Q&A session on Skull Canyon. Because it's Reddit 80% of the comments and questions are "Well, I wouldn't buy this and don't think anyone would, why isn't it $200?"

What those idiots want is a Steam Link, which already exists.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Bullshit.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html

Even your bottom of the barrel Intel mobile chips (your i3's or m5's, 15W TDP) can spank the high-end stuff from five years prior. They are insanely more efficient today and still improving and you don't get to make poo poo up whole cloth.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Top Skylake i3 was missing, next highest (6100H): 3820
Top Skylake Core m5 (6Y57): 3018

Top Haswell i7 (4940MX): 9645
Mainstream Haswell i7 (4710MQ): 8004

Top Sandybridge i7 (2960XM): 7823
Mainstream Sandybridge i7 (2720QM): 6132

So no, even indulging your ninja edit (Haswell is "a few years ago" at this point), a Skylake m5/i3 does not even keep up with a mainstream Sandybridge i7 let alone "spank it". Not even close.

Equivalent processors are certainly getting better (incrementally), the problem is that laptops that would have had an i5 or i7 a couple years ago now go with low-power processors to get the weight/thickness down and the battery life up. Those processors and their thermal solutions are totally inadequate for the kind of games where you'd want to drop $800+ on a Razer Core and a decent GPU.

With some of the weaksauce coolers that get deployed on those laptops, I question whether those performance levels could even be sustained for longer than the minute or two it takes to run a benchmark. Boost mode looks good on benchmarks and gives a nice MS Office experience, but if you don't design to get rid of the heat it doesn't translate into real-life performance.

And how many cores do the processors you are quoting have to achieve those benchmark scores you are citing? I was intentionally comparing 2 core processors but you're throwing 4 core ones in which is a complete bullshit comparison unless you account for it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

Rule of thumb: if the curvature exceeds that of a medium sized plate your fibers are gonna bust.

bend radius for 50micron is like 5cm so not nearly as bad as it used to be. a fairly stiff pvc shield is probably sufficient for consumer use but I don't really see the point when copper could handle those short runs fine

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

priznat posted:

The IBM POWER9 has PCIe Gen 4 slots apparently, but good luck getting one of those if you're not a massive hyperscale or enterprise customer.

One thing that was being reported incorrectly about gen4 is that the slot provides 300W now, which is wrong. There is an additional spec for a 2x4 power connector to bump total power to 300W. So it'll be pretty similar to the videocard power cables from before.

-up to 75W - slot power
-up to 150W - slot & previously existing 2x3 power (+75W)
-up to 300W - slot & 2x3 & additional 2x4 connector (+150W)

I thought that was interesting, and had seen tech sites reporting the wrong info that it all came off the slot.

PCIe 3 tops out at what, 30W per slot without additional connectors? Should be nice for some of the absurdly dense NVMe devices that I assume are coming up.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

"Go buy an 18core i9 if you really want to Game"

Go gently caress yourself. Even the host couldn't hide his revulsion.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Eh, it's going to take a latency-sensitive process that can effectively leverage >8 threads or memory intensive enough to have to reach through the crossbar to hit pages on a different memory controller before any of that on Ryzen is going to have a meaningful impact. Those things are few and far between, mostly the OS resource scheduler will avoid splitting the process on the crossbar and it won't matter.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

If the core is boiling, shouldn't the coolant be a little more... enthusiastic about cooling? Actually grabbing onto some of that heat and doing something with it?

You're talking about a temp reading on a tiny amount of silicon which has very little mass and thermal conductivity which interfaces with a hunk of metal that has many times more mass. The core is going to hold on to a lot of heat under load, and those numbers are useless unless we have other chips to compare against.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I've been running BF1 well enough on a 2500k so I am inclined to say that is a load of crap.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

TomR posted:

Are the clock speeds locked down on those types of chips, or do the motherboards from servers just not offer those types of adjustments anyway?

Xeon multipliers are locked, so you get the P-states as they ship. Better cooler = more time available in a given P-state. Servers are going to prioritize stability over raw performance.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

It's going to be a while before most things scale well beyond 4 threads, I'd say Intel still has an edge in the near term. Get the K variant so you have the option for overclocking and stretching it down the road.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, their new C620 supports RDMA over 10G? I mean what the gently caress? You can't find a recent PCIe adapter of theirs that does it, plenty of sources on the web suggesting they've dropped it, and now they're back on it with their drat server chipset? Good grief, Intel!

It got introduced as a feature of SMB3, I bet Microsoft is driving that more than anything.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

eames posted:

Given the choice between 4 glued-together Desktop Dies and glue between the Die and the Heatspreader, I'd choose the former.

https://www.techpowerup.com/235092/intel-says-amd-epyc-processors-glued-together-in-official-slide-deck

Yeah Intel only glued together TWO of their dies.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Malloc Voidstar posted:

only fools use water cooling, intellectuals (me) use the more convenient noctua nh-d15s

What do they think that second fan is really going to be doing for them?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

craig588 posted:

It's big enough that you don't need a 3rd fan because it lines up with your existing exhaust fan (You are running a x38 Panaflo, right?). You can run all 3 at 600RPM and still overclock to 4.5GHz or whatever. Taking out a fan means the others have to run faster to meet the same cooling performance. More and bigger fans mean less noise.

Putting fans in front of them isn't additive to their airflow, you're creating back pressure by shoving the air in to the blades of the next fan spinning at the same rate. There's not nearly enough material obstruction or distance to justify any of that and its idiotic.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

B-Mac posted:

Anyone have experience delidding a 6700k? I have one core that gets 13C hotter than the others when playing some games, up to 86C spikes at times. Fairly certain the cryorig h7 is mounted properly with max-4 paste and I have no desire to go water. My idles temps are between 25-30C.

There's quite a few people on HardOCP with good results for delidding that gen of processor https://hardforum.com/threads/6700k-delid-before-and-after-results.1878870/

Both temp and fan speed way down under the same load on a heavy overclock. Keep in mind that most games favor one of their cores more heavily than others and you will see a temp differential because that one will be hitting turbo clocks more than the rest. But it does seem like a good candidate regardless.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Cygni posted:

I would also check the PSU if you got a spare around. Weird power related crashes are due to dying PSUs a lot of the time.

I would suspect degradation of caps for the for the CPU voltage regulators with that age.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ah, a connoisseur of the "slap it back on there" thermal paste application method.

See also: the "didn't remove sticker before using" master race, of both the CPU and GPU varieties

I had a service tech one time who thought you had to apply the entire tube for every socket. That was a great mess to scrape out of an expensive dual-socket blade board.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Did he Dremel that poo poo out to make it fit or just force it until the fiberglass gave way?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

There's almost no justification for a full mini-tower for standard office machines and lots of places have moved over to some kind of SFF model because who needs a big box of air, and those have less space to work with on the MB headers, but you still get full size DP there for no reason. Only seem to get used on laptops.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

What is "hot"? Idle temps are probably going to be somewhere around 40c because its reducing fan speed to minimize noise. Assuming it isn't intended behavior, it sounds like the heatsink is mounted wrong.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Not to mention Kaby lake hardware will be getting liquidated out the OEM dell/hp/whoever channels for at least another year or two

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

The 2500k/2600k is still a decent chip for gaming and that's gonna be 7 years old soon.

Yeah, I'm still on mine and the performance gains are only now getting compelling enough to make me consider an upgrade

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Overclockable and already-overclocked quad cores without hyperthreading have ~12-18 months of comfortable use left. Hyperthreaded OCed quads probably have 24-36 months of headroom. 67/7700K owners shouldn't be sweating much.

Hyper threading adds MAYBE a 5% performance improvement under very specific workloads that typically aren't games. You're really overselling its value.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

craig588 posted:

I'm a HT decrier, I run my 5820K with HT disabled because it hurts performance in stuff I do, but I think the idea is once stuff starts really using 6 cores the 4C8T variants of processors will be able to hold on a little longer than the straight 4C4T versions.

Or maybe once stuff wants to use 6 cores 4 extra virtual ones won't do any good anyways.

HT doesn't add cycles, it just allows you to jam instructions through the gaps in the execution pipeline. In the best case, you're pushing instructions through there that have no latency requirements (for some reason) so they won't negatively impact anything but in real world scenarios you're just incurring additional latency for that little bit of extra output. This is great for large computational loads that run in batches like you get in business environments where throughput trumps transactional latency, but its generally poo poo for games and overcommit past your physical cores and in to the logical HT ones is a recipe for poo poo performance and latency/concurrency problems.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

crazypenguin posted:

Curious what you're basing this on? Digital Foundry's tests for i5 vs i7, for example, show 30% for games that multithread well. Which is consistent with the gains for many other (non-gaming) parallel workloads.

We've done extensive testing of it with business workloads and the rub basically is that if you are seeing large HT gains, it because your worker threads are full of holes because your code is poorly optimized. Once the load is back up because something is busy, those holes in the pipeline disappear and now that second thread you were trying to jam through a single core is forced to queue along side the primary thread and the latency goes to poo poo. Yeah, your max FPS or whatever during periods were you aren't CPU bottlenecked is going to improve but the low FPS periods where it is CPU bottlenecked is going to be worse than if HT wasn't being utilized because of the additional latency/queuing/contention. Avg numbers doesn't mean much when your floor is down and standard deviation is up in both directions. HT is a blunt, dumb tool and optimization inside the existing worker threads on 1 thread per core is better bang for the buck because of the increased consistency.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sure get out the dremel and hack off the interposer and you're good to drop it in

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I hate Linus so much

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

How common were chipped dies back in the day when Athlon shipped like that? I went the P3 to P4 route so there was always an IHS sitting in there.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

p3 had a bare die

athlon dies chipped a lot which is why they put the foam pads around them.

I had Slot 1, baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

In more fun news, don't forget to apply security patches to your processors: https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr