Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

questionable content has literally done more impactful long-term consequences of interpersonal conflict at this point and it doesn't even have a plot

Like with Kat kill la killing herself why is the story not properly framing "Kat is tormenting her partner with self harm and doesn't even realize it." And on top of this and everything else, we are having another callback to a better arc of the comic, while there is an entire reality warping kaiju battle going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

i feel kinda irrationally mad that this lovely fuckin chapter is referencing the best chapter in the comic's history (The Sky Watcher and the Angel). it feels. . . unearned? which i acknowledge makes zero loving sense cause it's still the same comic being written by the same author. it just feels so detached.

if mystery lady turns out to be the Sky Watcher, i'm going to fuckin flip my poo poo

Oh God, I made the mistake of going back and rereading that chapter. Man, remember when Gunnerkrigg Court was good? And robots were unique characters, even the background ones? There was a tiny trumpeting robot who never learned to play!

HOW THE gently caress DID WE GET TO THIS POINT?

Also, whatever happened to the Robot King?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Annointed posted:

Like with Kat kill la killing herself why is the story not properly framing "Kat is tormenting her partner with self harm and doesn't even realize it." And on top of this and everything else, we are having another callback to a better arc of the comic, while there is an entire reality warping kaiju battle going on.

We got so close to some examination of it and then Paz just says "it's fine though because I know you'll keep her in line so none of my concern matters"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tom's dropped not-so-subtle hints that Kat would have gone off the deep end when Annie died falling off the bridge, hasn't he? In a better comic, I would expect some big reveal that the Machine Goddess that Annie thought was Kat was actually Kat from another timeline that shattered reality to save Annie or is revealed to be the big bad, with a chapter dedicated to showing us the original Kat (pre-tiktok birds) and her descent into madness.

Now? Now I'm happy if we get something vaguely resembling a coherent plot at this point.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
KAT, THE MAD GOD, ARCHON OF DARK TECHNOLOGIES, THE ONE WHO STANDS BESTRIDE REALITIES, CORRUPTER OF THE AETHER, SHAPER OF TIMELINES: Haha, jeez, Annie! Lemme help you out of that scrape.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

coolusername posted:

It’s not a great way of judging but since the comment section expires on the site, it’s the only idea I have besides here - reddit has had a slow decline of content. 4 years ago there’s morecstuff like fanart and theories. If you look at r/gunnerkrigg now almost every post is an auto-mod page update for months, not much of an active fandom.
It's fallen off my daily rotation. Seeing this thread pop up on my bookmarked threads is usually what causes me to load it up and hit back until I see an update I remember.

E: what's funny is that it'll usually be because I go "50 posts what the hell happened!" but actually I just hadn't checked in in like a week.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
What were the thread's previous couple titles? There were some good ones summarizing how poo poo the comic is now.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
:rip: "The Plot Thinnens"

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Randalor posted:

Also, whatever happened to the Robot King?

Maybe he's the one that got stabbed by Distortion-Jeanne!

:smith:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I thought that was the pipe robot, though?

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I miss Robot King.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Randalor posted:

I thought that was the pipe robot, though?

Oh right.

isasphere posted:

I miss Robot King.

I miss... characters. Like, in general.

GunnerJ posted:

:rip: "The Plot Thinnens"

Also, "The Entire Plot Happens Offscreen".

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Also we need a gang tag that's just the "haha jeez" headstone.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

RocketMermaid posted:

Also we need a gang tag that's just the "haha jeez" headstone.

Honestly yeah I could see myself going for this, horrible as it is.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

"despite all my rage, this is still not as bad as mind cage" was another goodie

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tiny Myers posted:

I think that was the best one, in terms of like, scansion and also despair

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah, my fave

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah, this is probably the king of them all.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

My personal favorite.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Watching the clip show of every cult leader thing Robot did and frowning hard so everyone knows I disapprove

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So, what, we're just posting the new page here?

Your edit was spot on, though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Someone please edit Yamcha into the hole in the top left

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

pik_d posted:

Someone please edit Yamcha into the hole in the top left

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

:five:

Perfect

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

lmao

Also I did this. Wasn't sure which one I liked better so I made two

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Lol that edit is amazing.

Randalor posted:

So, what, we're just posting the new page here?

Your edit was spot on, though.

Not like it spoils anything hahaha... :negative:

Tiny Myers posted:

lmao

Hahaha love it. I like "Mind cagers" more

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
"Mind Cagers" gives us some autonomy into the action of being caged. "Mind Caged" implies that we are victims of it.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
The way he tells us how Annie is feeling in the comment instead of feeling obliged to show us her reaction using his artistic medium in so genius. None of the greats storytell like he does.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

In his defense, Annie doesn't look amused in the art, either, so it's more like "showing and telling".

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lmao wait, is Annie only just NOW realizing the robots have started a cult??

Tiny Myers posted:

lmao

:five:

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Oh man did I crack up at mind cagers.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Lifer 4 the Mind Cage, I guess. (Mind Cagers is the superior version, both are excellent.)

Also Annie you literally just saw Kat be even more callous about life and death, but you’re going to insist this was deeply unfair characterization of Kat I assume.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Joe Slowboat posted:

Lifer 4 the Mind Cage, I guess. (Mind Cagers is the superior version, both are excellent.)

Also Annie you literally just saw Kat be even more callous about life and death, but you’re going to insist this was deeply unfair characterization of Kat I assume.

No she loves the robots and they love her because she's special.

Oh my god "I'll deal with it later" and "haha, jeez" was the same thing as all the "angel" poo poo. Why is Annie suddenly concerned about "it was worth it," she's been effectively validating it the whole time.

There is, actually, a chance that this is a wake-up call, if it led to Annie and/or Kat's realization that all this fleshbot cult stuff has been happening right under their noses - but then why like this and not via the psychopomps, who Annie already respects?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tom forgot about psychopomp emotion

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, it's also possible that Annie knew of the cult, but thought that Robot either wasn't a member or just on the fringe, and not the high priest.

Or Tom just doesn't give a gently caress about the comic and is just checking off the plot boxes.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Annie was fine with Kat being called "divine" by other organic beings, but not by robots. That's a bridge too far. Because she is a loving racist.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,