Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Lmfao. He's a cute little sea slug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
why was he barnacles

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

sick Bloodborne ref

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

would you still "oh, robot" me if i was a worm

Gunnerkrigg Court: would you still "oh, robot" me if i was a worm

mods pls pls

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Zoya posted:

mods pls pls

:yeshaha:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Robot ate three umbilical cords and is now a Great One.

Flavahbeast posted:

sick Bloodborne ref

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Zoya posted:

mods pls pls

This please.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

Zoya posted:

mods pls pls

:mods:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zoya posted:

:hmmyes:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

That one seems to be super popular but I don't get the reference. Anyone with some insight?

I'm gonna guess 20% "Oh drat how did I miss that" and 80% "Oh, I never watched / played / read / heard that."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Twenty Four posted:

That one seems to be super popular but I don't get the reference. Anyone with some insight?

I'm gonna guess 20% "Oh drat how did I miss that" and 80% "Oh, I never watched / played / read / heard that."

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/would-you-still-love-me-if-i-was-a-worm

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Thanks, it was the 80% "never heard of or have seen it."

It's a dumb as hell meme, but it definitely fits well.

So yeah, it's a pretty good thread title knowing that.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
I thought that was a Children of Dune reference, drat.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

would you still "oh, robot" me if i was a worm

Now THIS is the best thread title

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Robot: shadow i think i may be in trouble for getting $1300 in american money on a donation website by saying I have leukemia please dont sing dragula
Annie: dead i am the one
Robot, sobbing: please please i got a phone call from the canada revenus agency
Shadow via speakerphone: conquering the worm

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I actually like this page? Shadow isn't outright forgiving Robot but saying what he'll have to do to make amends, but that Shadow will be with him.

Probably the best way to handle a "good" ending for this, and better than what I've come to expect from Gunnerkrigg. Thank gently caress it wasn't just "Haha jeez" again.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I dunno. I feel like this is the response you'd give a toddler after they broke everyone's favorite toy and tried to hide it.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I just don't feel what I think the story wants me to feel because it's been so loving long since I've seen these characters or witnessed these crimes, this whole distortion sequence feels like unearned resolution after unearned resolution, it's exhausting

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

catapede posted:

I dunno. I feel like this is the response you'd give a toddler after they broke everyone's favorite toy and tried to hide it.

Yeah we went from JRPG villain melodrama to the resolution of a Very Special Episode of a Saturday morning cartoon lol

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

catapede posted:

Well, yes, but this is also the comic that brushed off am abusive and negligent father with a "Well, that's just how he is. Whatcha gonna do?" from the person that suffered most from his abuse. My expectations are VERY low for this comic right now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's all just gonna get forgiven and have no significant impact, I just know it. Again, this one guy is bad for starting a cult, but the cult is just fine, apparently.

Think back to all the scenes setting up Robot's prothletising and scheming, with the knowledge that all this is leading to is ONE scene where Robot said "I was bad, woe is me" and his friends say, "it's OK, we love you anyway uwu."

Maybe... Maybe this comic was ALWAYS bad?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

"kat...will you ever forgive me for what i've done?"

"haha jeeeez"

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I think maybe it's just better at coming up with cool ideas than it is at resolving them in any way. This comic has bounced just about every check it has ever written imo. All my favorite elements, Jeanne, Coyote and Isengrin, Reynard's body, robot's cult, Jack's whole deal... All either resolved in a weird rushed way after being ignored for ages, or worse, handled off panel

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, all my favorite elements and characters have all disappeared, neutered, or were sidelined. The 2 Annies, coyote's playful but dangerous dynamic with Annie, Renard AND Ysengrin's complicated but devoted relationships with her, Parley, Andrew, James, Jones, the robots being silly, and the cozy (but sometimes more impactful) mystery solving school setting. Just all gone, and more and more I actively dislike what has replaced them.

I know how to fix this robot/new human plot, too. Give the robots a choice. I do not like the fact that every single one of them accepts and loves their new bodies (and their "angel") with no deviation at all. What if Arthur was an aberration among them for wanting to be human? What if the robots divide into two factions, one staunchly opposed to becoming human, and one (the cult) that joins Robot in putting pressure on Kat to keep developing her synthetic body technology? Or at least have some object to the cult and Robot's tactics.

I wonder if the intention for the robots being like they are (the seraphs, Robot included, being obsessed with bringing about becoming human at any cost, the rest of the robots being insanely devoted to Kat) is that is how they were originally programmed by Diego. If so, well, it's pretty loving weird no one points how hosed up it is to let an entire race be born out of one guy's horrible relationship with women. Instead the deepest thought Kat has about the cult that is programmed to worship her is "haha, jeez!".

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 12, 2024

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's been a while since I've done a read through, can someone remind me what bad stuff the robo cult has done other than the ship? This page made me think of what Robot would actually be apologizing FOR, his "sins", his "crimes", and his "evil nature" as he described them. But like...orchestrating the boat attack is the only thing, right? I mean yes starting a cult is generally a bad thing, but it's been portrayed so oddly that it's hard to really say. The robo-cult has always been more implied to be bad than actually showing it doing something bad. The mystery of Robot's motivations and where the cult would lead has been portrayed as inevitably going to be A Really Bad Thing, but as for what they've actually done, it's the boat attack and that's about it. Yes, the boat attack is indeed bad, but it's not like Robot was explicitly trying to gain power so he could take over the court or take the lead in Kat's projects or something, it seems like he genuinely thinks of her as a holy figure and wanted to spread that thought to others. Maybe he pressured the other robots into getting the numan bodies? But as mentioned before in the thread, none of them seem to dislike their bodies or even have had any regrets about switching, so this isn't like a cult pressuring people to disconnect from their regular lives and loved ones to devote to the cult. Robot's plan apparently was apparently twofold: to take action to get Kat to make progress, even if those actions were criminal or hurt others; and to be the first to die for these actions. But beyond the boat attack, he seemingly hasn't really done anything else??

I guess Tom didn't want the robots to do TOO many bad things, since we don't want them to be portrayed as villains, but it's making this payoff now feel really weird and disconnected to me. Like, cults are cults (and not religions or groups) because there's a leader who requires unwavering devotion to beliefs and often joining the cult harms the individual in some way. Robo cult hasn't had any of that besides Robot as a leader, but we haven't seen any situations or examples of how joining the robo cult is maybe a bad thing, just implications that the robo cult is probably gunna do something bad one day.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I think Tom just wanted to start doing a different comic and just did.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
The longform webcomic curse.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Duodecimal posted:

I think Tom just wanted to start doing a different comic and just did.

I mean, we had the perfect endpoint with the Zimmy/Coyote/Loup Akira sphere. Just... end the comic there. Coyote is a petulant child-like god. You derailed his plan. Everyone died. The end. No morals.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's been a while since I've done a read through, can someone remind me what bad stuff the robo cult has done other than the ship? This page made me think of what Robot would actually be apologizing FOR, his "sins", his "crimes", and his "evil nature" as he described them. But like...orchestrating the boat attack is the only thing, right? I mean yes starting a cult is generally a bad thing, but it's been portrayed so oddly that it's hard to really say. The robo-cult has always been more implied to be bad than actually showing it doing something bad. The mystery of Robot's motivations and where the cult would lead has been portrayed as inevitably going to be A Really Bad Thing, but as for what they've actually done, it's the boat attack and that's about it. Yes, the boat attack is indeed bad, but it's not like Robot was explicitly trying to gain power so he could take over the court or take the lead in Kat's projects or something, it seems like he genuinely thinks of her as a holy figure and wanted to spread that thought to others. Maybe he pressured the other robots into getting the numan bodies? But as mentioned before in the thread, none of them seem to dislike their bodies or even have had any regrets about switching, so this isn't like a cult pressuring people to disconnect from their regular lives and loved ones to devote to the cult. Robot's plan apparently was apparently twofold: to take action to get Kat to make progress, even if those actions were criminal or hurt others; and to be the first to die for these actions. But beyond the boat attack, he seemingly hasn't really done anything else??

I guess Tom didn't want the robots to do TOO many bad things, since we don't want them to be portrayed as villains, but it's making this payoff now feel really weird and disconnected to me. Like, cults are cults (and not religions or groups) because there's a leader who requires unwavering devotion to beliefs and often joining the cult harms the individual in some way. Robo cult hasn't had any of that besides Robot as a leader, but we haven't seen any situations or examples of how joining the robo cult is maybe a bad thing, just implications that the robo cult is probably gunna do something bad one day.

this this this this this

Other than the boat from like a real life decade ago what had he even done that was bad?? also at no point did it ever suggest he thought the cult he was building was bad before this???? kat seems to love being the robots' God, haha jeez!? robot what do you even need to be punished for

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
here lies robot had bad vibes

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What the comic needs is another Dr. Disaster chapter.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Pants Donkey posted:

What the comic needs is another Dr. Disaster chapter.

Please don't let Dr. Disaster get ruined too, let's just keep the good memories of him. And Mort.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FlocksOfMice posted:

this this this this this

Other than the boat from like a real life decade ago what had he even done that was bad?? also at no point did it ever suggest he thought the cult he was building was bad before this???? kat seems to love being the robots' God, haha jeez!? robot what do you even need to be punished for

There was the time that kept Loup's secret about being Jerrek from Annie + Kat.

Only NOPE HE DIDN'T DO THAT AT ALL, he straight up lied to Loup and just told them immediately. Thereby undercutting the one other bad thing he could have done, which, honestly, would make all this moot, because that one would be a HUGE deal.

And for NO REASON. Annie and Kat could have figured Jerrek out independently. Why do this? Is Robot supposed to be bad or not? Is the cult supposed to be bad or not?? What the hell are we supposed to take from any of this??????

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I honestly wonder if Tom had gotten to this point, started writing out a list of everything bad Robot had done, and realized he forgot to make Robot a villain after the ship incident.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
the last panel implies the seraphs will react poorly to this, but who knows

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Randalor posted:

I mean, we had the perfect endpoint with the Zimmy/Coyote/Loup Akira sphere. Just... end the comic there. Coyote is a petulant child-like god. You derailed his plan. Everyone died. The end. No morals.

Honestly, I think the reason he doesn't do that is because while he definitely doesn't want to keep doing Gunnerkrigg, he has no idea what his next project will actually be, so he keeps spinning the Gunnerkrigg wheels to stay afloat on Patreon money while he figures it out.

...which now that I think of it might explain why the pacing keeps changing so dramatically, either he starts to rush when he has an idea but changes his mind on it which makes him slow down again, or the bits he drags out are him testing ideas for whatever drat thing he actually wants to write.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
The publisher he used originally also didn't pick up the last book, so that was probably another money stressor, until he signed with the new publisher with the touched-up first volume.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
okay but why was he barnacles

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
something something stagnation/immobility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Bleck posted:

okay but why was he barnacles

you see, Robot stopped learning and growing as a person and was "stuck" in his toxic mindset, like a barnacle. he used his ideology and self-martyrdom as a shell to protect himself from the consequences of his actions, like a barnacle. perhaps, though, Robot actually sees himself as a burden who drags others down, like barnacles on a ship. do you get it?

or maybe Robot has an extraordinarily large penis. who knows!