Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

No, I'd say she's pretty good at reading people, too. She gave Kat and Ali alone time in the library and later on in Kat's bird person chapter.

Kat is an exception. As we saw in the Power Station chapter, Annie more or less shuts down emotionally whenever Kat's not around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Wow, Annie went from zero to nuclear in no time flat here.

I guess she's a little miffed that her dad stood her up again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think she's unhappy that everyone apparently loves her mom and hates her dad. She's tired of being compared to her mom (and has also found out recently that her mom isn't the paragon of wonderfulness that everyone thought she was). At least from her mode of speech, it seems as if she takes after her dad too, but nobody ever says "wow, you really are his kid". No, they just talk poo poo about him. Not always undeservedly, but that's not always going to be the first thing you think of when you're a kid. (Or even as an adult.)

And we already know from Jones that talking poo poo about her dad is one of the few surefire ways to rile her up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Renard has been looking disconcertingly human these last couple pages.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 27, 2010

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

"Assignment: Get a friend mad at you."

"Grade: A+. Great work!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wong Dongson posted:

Well, no, Anthony actually did that in the end.

And yeah, you need a bit more than "He's not here now" to attack a child's only living parent. Absolutely nothing good comes from it done badly, as it just was. Even if you are right, you still need to do it carefully or it just blows up in your face. It's not about the actual condition of the parent you are badmouthing, it's about how it impacts the child.

Both constantly compare her to her dead mother, badmouth her father, and one of them just told her she killed her mother and everyone knew it was going to happen.

No, they both suck. They suck so bad.

I think that "he's not here and hasn't been here for the last two years" is cause for a little consernation, and we've already been over how Renard and Annie have been digging deeper holes one another for the whole chapter when it comes to awful truths.

For most of the comic the impression we've gotten is that Anthony was misunderstood or wrongfully maligned, and Renard was some kind of psychopathic body-snatcher. Now it's circling back around to Renard being a lot more conflicted that he let on, and Anthony being just as big a prick as people said he was.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Suddenly Annie does the fiery thing.

This has just been a terrible day for everyone involved.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Zimmy Gamma wolf-life form,
birdboy's in the court no more,
Coyote has the floor
I can't take it anymore!

Anja stoked the engine.
Renard, he rang the bell.
Annie got it running
And the Court went all to hell.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

inthesto posted:

Have we had any clues as to how Ysengrim's body got so messed up?

Something tells me that it's going to be something tragic, like he saved Renard's life, and neither Renard or Coyote give a poo poo.

You try sealing yourself up in a wooden suit for days or weeks at a time.

His body has just atrophied from lack of use, to the point where he needs to use his tree powers to get around at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

inthesto posted:

That doesn't explain why Ys is missing an ear.

I'm under the impression that the tree-body came after his real body got FUBARed.

Then it's the wrong impression. Everything wrong with Ysengrin from the neck down is from atrophy.

The missing ear was probably just happenstance. I doubt he was much less of a moody bastard before Coyote fixed him up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fangz posted:

Huh, I don't read the final panel as the Coyote being shocked, or angry. (And even if I did, I wouldn't trust that to be his real emotion.) I think he's thinking about how to take advantage of the situation, since Annie is at least temporarily on his side.

I don't think so. Coyote's been having the time of his life for the last two pages, and then his mood suddenly flatlines as soon as Annie speaks up. That's definitely a "...come again?" kind of expression he's got right now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heliotrope posted:

Yup.

The only other time he stopped smiling (or shouting) was when he accidentally depressed Annie by bringing up her mother.

Boy, Surma's mention sure does have a habit of sucking the joy out of a room!

edit: and reading onward from Heliotrope's link, I see that right after Coyote mentions Muut's poker face, we get a full-face panel of Jones.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 28, 2010

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jones in that second-to-last panel almost looks concerned!

That is probably not a good thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Annie's dying out there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Okay, Annie has been around Coyote for entirely too long.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Who the gently caress designed this dorm

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Giant Crab: "STOP IT. STOP ALL THIS NONSENSE."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Micgael posted:

Conversely, the worst part of owning a big dog is when he wants to use you as a backrest or pillow. Do not attempt this the next time you are near an appropriately large canine!

No, I'm pretty sure this is also the best part of owning a big dog.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Robot needs to cool down on the evangelizing, he's making Shadow 2 sad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
We need Mort.

To the Batcave!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tender Child Loins posted:

Speaking of hair, I really like how Jack's looks like spider fangs in this chapter.

Holy poo poo

His hair looked like that for the whole of Spring Heeled, too. Layers within layers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Blue Hair's perkiness is almost physically oppressive. She projects a tangible smile field.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Tea-san please rename this chapter to "Smitty is a Playa," thanks in advance

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
For some reason I really don't see Coyote as the type who bothers to think that far ahead. His train of thought when handing over the tooth was probably something like, "I don't know what she'll do with this, but it will be hilarious."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Did anyone else read today's strip and say "oops" aloud?

Because that's an "oops" moment if ever I saw one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Given Robot's new evangelical bent, I hope he doesn't wig out at being cut by a weapon from the forest.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Dammit, Shadow, not like this! He's one of the first characters and one of the most lovable!

Christ, this really is going to send Robot off the deep end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
You're a tin can, ROBOTS DON'T HAVE FEELINGS

But this was not the direction I was expecting.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So the Giggleblade taught us a lesson about friendship. Truly the greatest prank of all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Ten? More like a hundred or more.

Yeah I hardly hear any disparagement of GC beyond the occasional "Harry Potter for girls" sidetrack, and that's usually offhand stuff by people who have only heard about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well, I guess this is the high-water mark. Months from now, we will yearn to relive the Omega Raspberry.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well, Annie's fallen back into emotional repression so hard it probably made her teeth rattle. Good job, Mr. Carver!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If Annie winds herself up any tighter then some internal springs are going to break.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If I got a Coyote moon av (which I wouldn't anymore, after my Paranatural av), I'd have to make the title "they say the moon smells just like a cherry bomb."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Van Kraken posted:

buzzzzzzzz

Oh man I want to keep the Homestuck train rolling but this is too good not to call dibs on

Only problem is it's too big. Any way of lowering the size without changing the resolution or shrinking it down?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aces.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My prediction: Coyote noticed whatever etheric skullduggery Anthony was performing from the Microsat and will be a little Cranky about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If Annie's simultaneously very smart and very stupid she'll tell off Coyote on this. A medium who exists at one side's beck and call is no medium.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Given the chapter title, Coyote's going to spill the beans on something, and he can't do that and gnaw Annie's bones at the same time. My guess is that after some intimidation attempts, Annie will negotiate a Coyote story for information about the Court. Living-mural god-dog needs to learn some tit-for-tat.

Also is it just me or does Annie have a habit of making suicidally poor decisions in those woods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wili posted:

Coyote's rage is far more terrifying that I ever expected.

I don't think this is over though. Before the end of this chapter, when we least expect it, Coyote will do something to remind Annie that she doesn't want to ever see him on a bad mood. Also I think Coyote really is mad, but the alternative is hearing stories from Ysengrin

"Once upon a time there was a foolish human. It was so foolish, everyone died. The end."