Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Well Coyote already knew Reynard was tricked. I recall he said as much in a conversation with Annie about it - he said he was so sad to hear his own cousin was tricked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Revolver Bunker posted:

That was a bit harsh for Paz but better to nip it in the butt now then have it cascade down months from now.

Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, but: did you make a pun, or did you mean "nip it in the bud"?

Because I think butt nipping would be pretty inappropriate at a time like this! Paz is confused enough I think!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Revolver Bunker posted:

A bit late to this since I was on vacation but I wasn't implying the "nip in the bud". The phrase I used is something I've heard in the US and I had no idea it could be taken like that in the UK. :psyduck: It was more a comment of it being better that they stopped any drama from developing before it got out of hand. I'm going to need to bookmark that link so I don't start a culture war. :stare:

Haha, I'm also from the US. The phrase actually is "nip it in the bud," which is a metaphor for stopping it before it gets out of hand. If you cut a plant (or a problem) while it is a bud, it will never bloom (or explode into a bigger problem). "Nip it in the butt" is a mistake - a common phrase misheard and repeated, like "all intensive purposes" or "sum bitch"

edit: beep boop I sound like an rear end in a top hat robot. Not trying to be nit picky!

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 29, 2011

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I was just reading back a little ways and found this http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=880

I forgot that shadow ever said that. What a nice callback in the recent strips.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Where does this weird cool kid trend of hating on Olive Garden come from? Yeah, it's a chain that sells "Italian" food that's not as good as authentic Italian food, but...why all the smug attitudes and weird kind of classist disgust?

Yeah, turns out lower-to-middle class people want to go somewhere where they can get a lot of food for their money that doesn't feel like a fast food joint. Maybe they don't even know the difference between OG and Authentic Place because they've never been able't afford to go anywhere more expensive! HOW HILARIOUS.

I just don't get it. I'm not a huge OG fan, but I really don't get it.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Around here ky-oh-tee and ky-oat are used interchangeably, depending on context. Like how sometimes I'll call my parents "my parents" and sometimes I'll call them "my folks." I've always seen "ky -oat" as more rural/informal way to say it.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
What does the little crown symbol by her head mean?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Ahaha I just noticed on GC's wikipedia page in the character list, Eglamore is listed as "James 'Jimmy Jims' Eglamore."

I love it.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Dear Tom:

I have an idea for you to make a bunch of money. First, set a goal for how much money you want and ask people to donate toward that goal. Then, when the goal is reached, post one comic a day for one week. Just one week.

I'm saying I'd donate all I could for just one week of daily updates please. You get a ton of money, we get more Gunerkrigg.

VVVV quiet you, I've got an addiction okay

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 29, 2012

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I didn't see it as being overly sexual myself, but I can understand why someone would find an image of a very young schoolgirl in heavy makeup troublesome! I personally hate to see young girls in makeup, just let them be kids :(

But that's water under the bridge anyhow, with how far the comic has come in character design and development!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

idonotlikepeas posted:

Tom has hinted a few times that there is Something Up with Annie wearing makeup like that, and it's not just a normal thing. (Notice how much makeup her classmates have on when they show up, too.) I think he was going a whole different way with it than that.

Oh, no, I get that now, and think it's pretty cool and am looking forward to the explanation, should we get it. I'm just saying I could understand why someone new to the comic without that context, who is wary of portraying young girls in makeup, might find the first bit worrisome (until the awesome kicks in right away).

I mean there's a right and a wrong way to say things but I don't think the point was so outrageous, if that's all the point was. Not outrageous, just moot.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Heliotrope posted:

He wasn't complaining about her having make-up on though, his problem with it is that he thinks it looks sexual (somehow).

A thing can be noted as sexual without someone finding it sexy, though. Makeup is, or at the very least can be, a pretty obviously sexual thing. It's all based around sultry eyes, flushed cheeks, too-perfect skin and shiny lips. Toned-down "natural" looking makeup isn't as obvious, but cosmetics are pretty thoroughly tied up in sexual dynamics.

In fact, that's why it makes me sad, and makes a lot of people quite outraged, to see real children wearing makeup - it seems like an early push to sexualize them, make them more grown-up looking.

That's a whole different topic though! Like I said, I could see what the point was saying, but by this point in the story, with the characters and their personal looks having developed as much as they have - and with obvious signs of more development still to come - it's a moot point. The story has already proven itself to be awesome.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
It is most definitely Bob (I know because he says so himself)

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=608

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Saoshyant posted:

The sort that is questioning the author at every step instead of enjoying the ride and make up your mind about it when it's over? :)

People enjoy things in different ways. He's just discussing in a discussion thread, I don't think Tom's emotions are so fragile that he can't deal with people speculating and asking questions. I mean if you just wanted to enjoy the ride why even have a thread? People would only post once chapters were over and at that point it's just a comments section.

Osmosisch posted:

This Gobi comic is reminding me so much of Journey. Tom, have you played that?

He has :3: my avatar is a drawing he made.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Either way it's clear they chose her for this fate, as they stated in the conversation scheming the plot "It has to be her." I'm in the "they meant to kill the boyfriend and ensnare her body with evil green arrow so that she becomes a being of pure white hot hate to protect the court"

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

feetnotes posted:

But what made them sure Jeanne wouldn't just climb back up and revenge-murder the whole Court? Diego only made one arrow, and it clearly wasn't meant for her, and I assume it can't be magic, coming from him.

There was something for sure off about the arrow though. And it's not like he hasn't designed mechanical things with strange otherworldly properties before - like all the original robots with no discernible power source and a code that can only be represented by a cube and contained in a heart.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
But not every poorly developed character is a Mary Sue by default. Sometimes characters are just poorly fleshed out, or have convenient talents to aid the plot. I think calling Annie a Mary Sue, even in the shaky beginning chapters, is a real misuse of the term, because she's not an obvious author self-insert. She's just a kind of thin character who seems to pull abilities out of the air sometimes to meet the needs of a given plotline. Nobody is like "WOW ANNIE that is SO AMAZING how you speak POLISH, it makes all the boys have crushes on you!!" which would be more indicative of an MS, in my understanding of the term. It just makes the storytelling feel a little too convenient. And it's not just Annie's abilities that are too plot-convenient early on - Wow, Kat, it's a good thing you built an anti gravity device to rescue your friend out of this ravine, otherwise the story might have dragged out. Now let's never mention it again.

I mean for sure Mary Sues can do that too, but I really don't think that's what Annie is or was. Calling her a MS feels a lot like "well this female character doesn't sit right with me at all!"

If you want mary sue, look at Dominic Deegan. He is thinly developed and pulls abilities out of the air, bends rules even within the universe of his fictional world, and every single person always bends over backwards to compliment him, inform him that he is special and talented, the plots twist themselves in knots to show how he is ALWAYS RIGHT, and anyone who calls him wrong is converted or killed. His only faults are skin-deep and never have any consequences on his life. THAT's an author self-insert. that's poor writing AND a mary sue.

edit: I've held off posting in the thread for a while til the av-fairy was done with this round, but in case he or she decides to go back again, please pass this avatar by, I love it and it was a present.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 13, 2013

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Azran posted:

No, you fool! :gonk:

I meant it tho :(

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Niton posted:

It's okay, I think it looks enough like Shadow that you might survive with just some text.

Well Tom Siddell did draw it so that should be enough!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I think we were (at least I was) discussing these traits and abilities as they struck us when they first appeared. obviously most of the concerns have been alleviated by the following storytelling.

This thread tends to get a little touchy about people sharing their first reactions to this comic, when those first impressions are negative (mr got-accused-of-being-a-pedophile springs to mind), but I think it's an interesting topic and nothing to get worked up about.

edit: vv haha! JONES IS SUCH A MARY SUE

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 13, 2013

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yes, if she were an awkward, weird character with bouts of being selfish or thoughtless who was then praised an adored by everyone in the strip's universe, and if everything worked out right for her because she's right even when she's acting like a jerk, and if no negative consequences ever happened for her actions...then we'd maybe have a mary sue. As it stands we have a main character whose personality clashes with some people's idea of likeable. Not really a crime or bad writing.

And really in my opinion a lot of her personality flaws make sense given her upbringing. I like Annie, I like that she's developing more of a personality as the strip goes.

Pyradox posted:

That's a pretty nice compromise.

Ahaha, I agree! Thanks, avatar fairy :3:

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 13, 2013

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
No: we're saying that's how it initially seemed

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Officer! Officer! This possessed doll is going to torture a boy with some stuff I helped her steal.

I'm not saying this is The Only Solution but it's not like any of this is hugely out of character for ethereal non-court beings.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
He's not slaying anybody, he's releasing a spirit from a trap it didn't belong in and presumably letting it vanish into the ether rather continue to fester in a body and place it hates to stop it from doing harm to others.

That is not out of place in this story. That is literally what we've been waiting to see the kids do to Jeanne, only they won't use their teeth to do it so its OK? Calm down about this.

And that weird faced robot kat awakened was totally introduced then killed never to return.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Blackheart posted:

Yep, this is accomplished via murder.

So what? Is what the kids are planning with Jeanne murder? Why is nobody wringing their hands about justified murder with that plotline?

Is kat ever going to be punished for that time she killed that robot with her own hands? Is tom supporting assisted suicide now??

Where is the justice in this comic!

I never said this is the best option but just because a character does a thing you find morally questionable does not mean the storytelling is weak or the character is assassinated or the author supports murdering the mentally ill.

edit: I'm actually wondering if Hetty has the proper version of Reynard's power, where she won't leave him dead after a possession, and winds up framing him for something. That bottle on the title page has to mean something.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 31, 2013

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Edit beaten like goddamn

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I mean we're all headed to our eventual end, if you think about it

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah the zimmy dimension has mostly just been a place where whatever the gently caress the whim of the story wants to happen gets to happen without any need for explanation or continuity or logic. Which honestly the whole world has kind of been for a long time in my personal opinion. There's always been some randomness and whimsy but I feel like the world hasn't "made sense" for me in ages. I first fell out with this comic during the cruise ship arc and have been mostly keeping loosely up because gdi I just want to see the end

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Why do we need to take Sam's corpse to kat right this second, anyway? Weren't they headed somewhere?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Do their bodies decompose? Or can they be reused for a new robot?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah cartoon styling is very simplified so you do run the risk of characters looking like other characters, but between Zimmy and MaybeZimmy, I do not mistake one for the other at all. MaybeZ's face is thinner, her hair is not parted the same (and her forehead is much smaller) and has no zimmy fly-away hairs or waves, the size, shape, and color of her eyes are different, the shape of her nose is different, her chin is pointier. Those are all minor details, sure, but they make simplified cartoon characters "themselves." Hair color/length, the ubiquitous slim teen body shape they all pretty much have, and thin lips are the only thing they have in common. That's just not enough for me personally to buy that these people honestly could mistake her for Zimmy. Whats his name's former-goth-current-1940s witch girlfriend looks more like Zimmy. Annie looks more like Zimmy than this character, hair color aside. I'd have honestly believed he was going out of his way to make sure they wouldn't be mistaken for each other within the limits of a cartoony style if the characters themselves didn't make the comparison.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 1, 2024

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

isasphere posted:

But the big moment where my faith in the comic in a grander scene was really damaged, not just in minor pacing or character interactions, was the Torn Sea. Or rather, the lack of an aftermath.

No adult was ever shown investigating or being concerned about the big ship with students being hijacked? And in hindsight, was there no adult on-board chaperoning the bazillion underage teenagers?

That's when it lost me, too. I couldn't believe an organization that tracks kids through their food and knows very well the kids can outsmart robot chaperones would let them loose on a cruise ship with nobody to watch them but robots and a sea monster. What was she supposed to do if a couple kids, say, got in a fight and injured each other? Capsize the ship? There's whimsy and then there's nonsense

And then we got the millionth iteration of my least favorite running theme in the comic: sometimes someone loves a woman and that makes them do hosed up poo poo. The end. But the theme never really says anything new or goes anywhere, it just is always always there

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Rotten Red Rod posted:

In retrospect, the most frustrating part of that whole saga was Annie continuing to defend her dad when her friends came to "save" her, and then the comic later coming out and declaring that stance was right. It's the comic literally advocating for victim blaming and excusing abuse.

aw c'mon. sometimes you love a woman and it just makes you do hosed up poo poo! Like who could even control that! I've got a handy chart:

did you do something hosed up because you feel really strongly about someone else?

no - ok loser

yes - is your name Diego, or are you a boat?

no - you're fine

yes - you're a monster

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
why hasn't annie just been touching every new person that shows up? that makes them vanish in an explosion if they're fake right? She can find out who is real and who isn't by demanding a handshake before any conversation

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I know the comic is extremely dedicated to the Friday cliffhanger but I really wish we could get more than a tiny scrap of any conversation at any given time, it makes everything feel so disjointed and weirdly paced.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Why is every page acting like nobody has the ability to go back and re-read pages? This isn't a weekly cartoon show with no early accessible archives, you don't have to recap every single thing that happens every couple pages!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
"don't worry about her"

Now just let me space out for a moment so I can talk about her some more with somebody who isn't in the room

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
This week's pages feel like hitting a randomizer button

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Riot Bus posted:

In fairness, they have referred to her as the "angel" from the beginning. The whole thing having Christian tones shouldn't be surprising.

Christianity isn't the only religion with angels and it's not like he's never borrowed elements of a religion out of context before.

I'm not so much bothered as bored by the Christian stuff. I'm bored by all of this. We saw robot do like three questionable things and one really bad thing that wouldn't have been such an issue if the court had been even a fraction as protective of the kids as they'd been in every other situation up til that stupid loving cruise. And then he basically disappeared forever

I just don't buy any of this. I don't get why I'm supposed to think anything of this

Why isn't Annie just laying hands on and exploding all this fake hallucination bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I wish I'd actually seen the two of them spending time and getting close and what they were up to and how robot hid this stuff from shadow. Instead we get a montage of moments we've already seen and a bunch of text about the other stuff that was totally happening just off panel, honest