Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Micgael posted:

You're all assholes. Gunnerkrigg Court is a thread for peace (Except when Tea-san comes in to deliver the sickest burns).

I noticed that these two hugs looked pretty similar when I first saw today's comic, but I do honestly think it's just a coincidence since That's How People Hug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

RickoniX posted:

That image is a little disingenous, the cover is closer to this

It has nothing close to the same body language and facial expression as that example so no, it's really not.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Tank! posted:

It's fine, you're very clearly not a pedophile, you're just an rear end in a top hat. I'm seriously amazed anyone could find "looking over one's shoulder", something that most regular humans do, a tantalizing act. The make-up thing is not even suspect in the least, not everyone wears cosmetics in attempt to look alluring.

Also "hair extensions and false eyelashes" are really reaching. Do you know what either of those things actually looks like?

Google image search "over shoulder look". Go on. I dare you. You will discover that the whole modelling industry disagrees with you, that the over-the-shoulder look is hugely popular as an attractive pose, and however much an rear end in a top hat you think I am, you're still completely blinded to any sort of criticism because you associate yourself with a goddamn webcomic and anything nasty said about it, however meekly put, has to be responded to with overwhelming force and vehemence.

Says the rear end in a top hat pedophile.

Thank-you for apologising Keru, I'm still running with the pedohile thing for the time being because it was a completely ridiculous thing to say and I think it highlights the point I'm making here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
How about we just talk about what's actually portrayed in the comic, and not whatever code-language imagery we are inventing today to add problems to things that don't need them?

The art has come a long way since page 1, but Jesus Christ, goons have the dumbest hang-ups about anything they decide is "creepy."

Tank!
Oct 29, 2008

Fargo Fukes posted:

Google image search "over shoulder look". Go on. I dare you. You will discover that the whole modelling industry disagrees with you, that the over-the-shoulder look is hugely popular as an attractive pose, and however much an rear end in a top hat you think I am, you're still completely blinded to any sort of criticism because you associate yourself with a goddamn webcomic and anything nasty said about it, however minor or supported, has to be responded to with overwhelming force and vehemence.

Thank-you for apologising Keru, I'm still running with the pedohile thing for the time being because it was a completely ridiculous thing to say and I think it highlights the point I'm making here.

Lol okay dude

I'm all for Huggerkrig Court.

vvvv Suh-nap!

Tank! fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 18, 2012

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Fargo Fukes posted:

Google image search "over shoulder look". Go on. I dare you. You will discover that the whole modelling industry disagrees with you, that the over-the-shoulder look is hugely popular as an attractive pose, and however much an rear end in a top hat you think I am, you're still completely blinded to any sort of criticism because you associate yourself with a goddamn webcomic and anything nasty said about it, however meekly put, has to be responded to with overwhelming force and vehemence.

Clearly 'bored and vaguely annoyed' is the only expression he's seen on women in a sexual context.

Can't blame him for the association.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Fargo Fukes posted:

Jesus Christ, dude. It's not that you criticized the comic. It's that your criticism was dumb and weird and made no sense to anyone but yourself.

And of course a GIS sample of "over shoulder look" is going to have a sexual bias. That doesn't mean that looking over one's shoulder is an inherently sexual act.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Rasamune posted:

Jesus Christ, dude. It's not that you criticized the comic. It's that your criticism was dumb and weird and made no sense to anyone but yourself.

And of course a GIS sample of "over shoulder look" is going to have a sexual bias. That doesn't mean that looking over one's shoulder is an inherently sexual act.

Well of course evidence is going to bias your poisition, it's why it's good manners to never use it!

The over-the-shoulder look is a hugely popular provocative pose for models to adopt, we've all seen it a bajillion times and claiming otherwise is plain denial. But she's saying come and see what happened so hey ho, maybe it's just a pose with awkward connotations.

She's also dolled up to the nines very much like, as posters above have shown, a bratz doll. Dolls commonly lambasted for their over-sexualisation of pre-teen girls. Weird, but maybe it's a character thing we'll have to see.

She's an illustrated schoolgirl. On the internet.

That's three strikes right there. The rest of you are off your heads, I was right to be worried going in and I won't apologise for it.

edit: Christ, re-reading my original post it wasn't even a criticism. I said it was a "worrying place for a webcomic to start". Oh ho, but the goon squads not going to stand for that! Neckbeards, to your keyboards!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Please tell us some more about how you are meek and respectful and everyone else is responding with overwhelming force and vehemence :allears:

e: also keep using the word "defensive," that's p ironic too bro

e2: before you get all meek on my rear end, let me clarify my position: I thought your original assertion was a little weird and not quite warranted, but I didn't hold anything against you for making it until your 600th post on the matter, which is about where the argument started to get a little stale and bitter.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 18, 2012

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

loquacius posted:

Please tell us some more about how you are meek and respectful and everyone else is responding with overwhelming force and vehemence :allears:

Sure.

My original post:

quote:

The eyeshadow can be a bit much. I never read Gunnerkrigg the first few times I was linked it because if featured an eleven year old schoolgirl in eye shadow, lip gloss and what appears to be false eyelashes and hair extensions. And the first page is her doing an over-the-shoulder pinup pose. It was Creepy As gently caress, essentially. It recovered obviously, but overly sexual depictions of eleven year old schoolgirls in a creepy dark boarding school is kind of a worrying place for a webcomic to start.

For this I was called a pedophile, an idiot and an rear end in a top hat. I think it kind of speaks for itself.

edit: I searched 'defensive' on this page, yours is the only occurrence. Aside from this one now. Oh, I used it once last page. My mistake I guess!

edit2: Getting called an idiot pedophile rear end in a top hat for pointing out weird poo poo in a webcomic will tend to provoke a few responses, wait till it happens to you!

suburban virgin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 18, 2012

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
What is this poo poo?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Fargo Fukes posted:

Well of course evidence is going to bias your poisition, it's why it's good manners to never use it!

The over-the-shoulder look is a hugely popular provocative pose for models to adopt, we've all seen it a bajillion times and claiming otherwise is plain denial. But she's saying come and see what happened so hey ho, maybe it's just a pose with awkward connotations.

She's also dolled up to the nines very much like, as posters above have shown, a bratz doll. Dolls commonly lambasted for their over-sexualisation of pre-teen girls. Weird, but maybe it's a character thing we'll have to see.

That's three strikes right there. The rest of you are off your heads, I was right to be worried going in and I won't apologise for it.

edit: Christ, re-reading my original post it wasn't even a criticism. I said it was a "worrying place for a webcomic to start". Oh ho, but the goon squads not going to stand for that! Neckbeards, to your keyboards!

Looking over your shoulder also happens to be a useful and natural pose for, you know, seeing what's behind you.

The make-up was revealed to be a trait specific to the character and her personality.

Just because there are inappropriate illustrations of schoolgirls on the internet doe not make every illustrated schoolgirl on the internet inappropriate.

I agree, being called a pedophile was a bit much, but you must admit your reaction to the criticism aimed at you has been far stronger than our reaction to the criticism of the comic.

Edit:

DekeThornton posted:

What is this poo poo?

Great avatar post combo.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

If you can't look at a picture of someone looking over their shoulder as anything other than of a sexual nature, the problem might be with you rather than the rest of the internet. People might have taken you more seriously if you had been trying to tie it in with something, off the top of my head it could have been something like you talking about how you think Annie is vain or relates sexuality to maturity. There, now you have a neat little link to why a little girl is wearing so much makeup and no one would be making such a fuss.

But no, you called a little girl looking over her shoulder "Creepy As gently caress" because you are literally unable to see it as anything other than provocative and sexual. You might have good reasons to make that link, like maybe you work in that industry and your mind just auto-links the pose to sex, but you hosed up the pitch and hit the batter. Now your team's losing, little Billy's crying because it's his birthday and his Dad promised he'd take him to the game to see his favorite team win.

I hope you're happy. You monster.

E: Oh wait, he's probated already.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Makes me nostalgic for ChibiSoma.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I was wondering if anybody in this thread had come up with a decent explanation for the latest chapter, but instead I get the gooniest argument ever. So uh, seriously, what exactly has been happening in the past chapter, and why did Annie's scar appear on Zimmie?

Kat better come with a good explanation for all this :colbert:

Fargo Fukes posted:

The internet must be a very difficult place for you. Do you have the FBI on speed-dial?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Makes me nostalgic for ChibiSoma.

Holy poo poo, that's who I was trying to remember earlier. That was a fun trainwreck, too.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Fruits of the sea posted:

So uh, seriously, what exactly has been happening in the past chapter, and why did Annie's scar appear on Zimmie?

No making GBS threads clue on the first one, but Zimmy has a history of confusing herself with Annie.

E: Okay, I have half a making GBS threads clue on the first one. Annie fell into a coma at some point and was hospitalized, and Kat fell asleep while watching over her in the hospital room. Zimmy and Gamma slipped into Kat's dream and found out about Annie, so Gamma left the room so Zimmy could use her full power. Then dream-invader Zimmy went into Annie's head and discovered that her father was using some sort of binding magic on her soul, so Zimmy followed the trail back to Tony's place in the ether and punched his soul in the loving face :pcgaming: thus breaking the binding. Then Zimmy went into full-on Silent-Hill-o-Vision from being apart from Gamma for too long and got stuck in Annie's head, till Annie herself judo-tossed her out. Then Zimmy started seeing Robornithangel where Kat was standing and rightly flipped the hell out, so she and Gamma hosed off and Kat woke up and now here we are.

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 18, 2012

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I dunno, the fadeout as Gamma and Zimmy hug made it feel like it was more Kat's "dream" they were in, but who knows, it might as well have been that Kat got dragged into Zimmys world toward the end, too.

Can't wait to find out, as usual.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Rasamune posted:

Then dream-invader Zimmy
Don't tell me space aliens are getting into this story now!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
In a surprise twist, it's revealed that Annie was never in the hospital- that's her room. Kat just broke in a while ago and has been ranting while everyone watches uncomfortably.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Oof, definitely not reading that utterly retarded derail.

I love the lighting in the first three panels.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I didn't see it as being overly sexual myself, but I can understand why someone would find an image of a very young schoolgirl in heavy makeup troublesome! I personally hate to see young girls in makeup, just let them be kids :(

But that's water under the bridge anyhow, with how far the comic has come in character design and development!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Tom has hinted a few times that there is Something Up with Annie wearing makeup like that, and it's not just a normal thing. (Notice how much makeup her classmates have on when they show up, too.) I think he was going a whole different way with it than that.

I don't know that we're going to get total clarity on the chapter in the next couple of pages. I kind of prefer it that way, actually; explaining Zimmyness too precisely would tend to kill it.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

idonotlikepeas posted:

Tom has hinted a few times that there is Something Up with Annie wearing makeup like that, and it's not just a normal thing. (Notice how much makeup her classmates have on when they show up, too.) I think he was going a whole different way with it than that.

Oh, no, I get that now, and think it's pretty cool and am looking forward to the explanation, should we get it. I'm just saying I could understand why someone new to the comic without that context, who is wary of portraying young girls in makeup, might find the first bit worrisome (until the awesome kicks in right away).

I mean there's a right and a wrong way to say things but I don't think the point was so outrageous, if that's all the point was. Not outrageous, just moot.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I always put it down to either the quasi-reincarnation thing she's got going with her mom and the influence that has on her behavior OR a kid doing something that lets her feel closer to her dead mom through something that they shared. Or both.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I always thought the make-up was pretty odd, and frankly a bit sad, since it probably helped alienate Annie from the other kids her age. I'm actually surprised no-one made fun of her for it. I remember one of the "uncool" kids at my junior high used to put on way too much make-up and other kids would mock her for looking like an old woman :(

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 19, 2012

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Rasamune posted:

E: Okay, I have half a making GBS threads clue on the first one. Annie fell into a coma at some point and was hospitalized, and Kat fell asleep while watching over her in the hospital room. Zimmy and Gamma slipped into Kat's dream and found out about Annie, so Gamma left the room so Zimmy could use her full power. Then dream-invader Zimmy went into Annie's head and discovered that her father was using some sort of binding magic on her soul, so Zimmy followed the trail back to Tony's place in the ether and punched his soul in the loving face :pcgaming: thus breaking the binding. Then Zimmy went into full-on Silent-Hill-o-Vision from being apart from Gamma for too long and got stuck in Annie's head, till Annie herself judo-tossed her out. Then Zimmy started seeing Robornithangel where Kat was standing and rightly flipped the hell out, so she and Gamma hosed off and Kat woke up and now here we are.
I am down with all of this, it all makes sense to me for the most part. I'm not sure about jumping into Annie's dream via Kat's, though. I guess that could work since Zimmy's powers are nebulously defined, so there's wiggle room there. You could also say that Annie and Kat have such a strong emotional bond that their dreamscapes can occasionally overlap.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Don't tell me space aliens are getting into this story now!

Kat already has Head Pigeons.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Huntersoninski posted:

I mean there's a right and a wrong way to say things but I don't think the point was so outrageous, if that's all the point was. Not outrageous, just moot.

He wasn't complaining about her having make-up on though, his problem with it is that he thinks it looks sexual (somehow).

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Wearing too much make up is an extremely normal thing for 11 to 13-year-olds to do if no one says that they will not be leaving the house like that, young lady.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Heliotrope posted:

He wasn't complaining about her having make-up on though, his problem with it is that he thinks it looks sexual (somehow).

A thing can be noted as sexual without someone finding it sexy, though. Makeup is, or at the very least can be, a pretty obviously sexual thing. It's all based around sultry eyes, flushed cheeks, too-perfect skin and shiny lips. Toned-down "natural" looking makeup isn't as obvious, but cosmetics are pretty thoroughly tied up in sexual dynamics.

In fact, that's why it makes me sad, and makes a lot of people quite outraged, to see real children wearing makeup - it seems like an early push to sexualize them, make them more grown-up looking.

That's a whole different topic though! Like I said, I could see what the point was saying, but by this point in the story, with the characters and their personal looks having developed as much as they have - and with obvious signs of more development still to come - it's a moot point. The story has already proven itself to be awesome.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Tupperwarez posted:

I'm not sure about jumping into Annie's dream via Kat's, though. I guess that could work since Zimmy's powers are nebulously defined, so there's wiggle room there. You could also say that Annie and Kat have such a strong emotional bond that their dreamscapes can occasionally overlap.

I get the feeling that for Zimmy, walking into the dream of someone she knows is as easy as walking to the library.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think Annie wears the makeup because she feels like she has to put out a strong "mature" front, like she imagines an adult would act. It's a visual indication of that.

It's been a fairly important part of her character development, going from stoic and emotionally distant to a place where she feels comfortable acting her own age and letting people see her actual feelings.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I always figured she wore so much makeup because her mother did, or as some kind of tie to her parents. I can't find the exact page, but doesn't she scrub it all off when she's freaking out after Reynard gets angry and reveals that she was the reason her mother died, and everyone knew it?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think Annie wears the makeup because she feels like she has to put out a strong "mature" front, like she imagines an adult would act. It's a visual indication of that.

It's been a fairly important part of her character development, going from stoic and emotionally distant to a place where she feels comfortable acting her own age and letting people see her actual feelings.

This. Even before all the imagery in this last chapter I've thought of her makeup as a mask she wears. See the last page of Chapter 14.

<edit>
The first handful of pages of Chapter 15 kind of drive this home, if you look closely.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 19, 2012

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

I always figured she wore so much makeup because her mother did, or as some kind of tie to her parents. I can't find the exact page, but doesn't she scrub it all off when she's freaking out after Reynard gets angry and reveals that she was the reason her mother died, and everyone knew it?

I think that was when she ran into the forest. The scene you might be thinking of is the end of Chapter 14, after she encounters Coyote and Ysengrin in the Court. She wipes the makeup off after looking at the picture of her parents and their friends, possibly because she noticed her mother didn't wear any (as you note, as a way of connecting with her, maybe).

edit: dammit beaten

\/\/\/\/ Oh, it's not really something I paid attention to in Surma's appearances I guess. A small way for Antimony to declare that she's her own person then? Especially after Coyote and others were sort of hammering home just how similar she seemed to Surma.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 19, 2012

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Surma did wear makeup in that photo and in subsequent appearances, though (except for the hospital ones, I think). I always figured Annie wore it because Surma taught her how to apply it before she passed.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach

Meowjesty posted:

Surma did wear makeup in that photo and in subsequent appearances, though (except for the hospital ones, I think). I always figured Annie wore it because Surma taught her how to apply it before she passed.

Perhaps it's Annie's way of carrying her mother's torch, if you will. Maybe the nature of Annie's fire elemental spirit is that certain traits carry on from mother to daughter no matter what (Surma "lives on" in her daughter). The red hair is the most obvious example of that.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

minimalist posted:

I think that was when she ran into the forest. The scene you might be thinking of is the end of Chapter 14, after she encounters Coyote and Ysengrin in the Court. She wipes the makeup off after looking at the picture of her parents and their friends, possibly because she noticed her mother didn't wear any (as you note, as a way of connecting with her, maybe)..

I think she's just removing her makeup before she goes to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
May be a little more simple really.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=245
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=246

But with this comic you never know.