Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
You know who would be good at travelling through the riverbed, with a little modification?

Boxbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

McGravin posted:

Can you imagine having Smitty as a housemate? You could throw a huge, tear-the-house-down kegger every night of the week, and no matter how rowdy it got there wouldn't be so much as a cup left out on the coffee table the next morning.

If Smitty's power is to make everything boring, as seen in the (Spacemonauts?) episode, the party would suck and never get off the ground.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

Well in the Spacemonauts thing, he made things more boring because he accidentally reverted the scenario to its most orderly state, which was the problem being solved.

:colbert: The cops would show up as guest 1, then. Smitty makes things boring. :colbert:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
If Parley and Smitty want to go make out, then they can teleport somewhere and that's that.

But Annie is stating what she's going to go do, and it seems like an open offer to all three people in the scene. If they want to join her, awesome.

Just because the lovebirds have stopped dancing around their attraction doesn't mean that the near death experience that Annie and Parley just had doesn't need to be dealt with.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ka0 posted:

I am 100% certain there are 3 of these Halloween special pics, but thusly I've only been able to find 2.

Doctor Loboto would stand no friggin' chance against Katsputin and ...Annielili?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

Not the robots, though.

Jones is not A robot...
She's ALL of the robots. And the people. And the plants, buildings, forest...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snicket posted:

Maybe he just has a really awesome dick.

So, you're saying that Carver's father's dick is a robot?

:aaa:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

farraday posted:

Antimony is half-robot? I hope we learn more about Surma, possibly an explanation of why none of the psychopomps came for her.

Wait, so now Annie's dick is a robot?

:psyduck:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rincewind posted:

Weirdly enough, Annie seems much less disengaged-- not to mention a whole lot more animated and emotive-- when she's in the forest with Coyote.

The Court is too far removed from natural magic, which is and should be Annie's source of the stuff, rather than the high-technology, high-science stuff that the Court focuses on.

Annie is in her true element when she's in the forest, and if she were allowed to spend more time there, would truly grow into her abilities fully.

Or something.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guava posted:

You'd think that Surma would have considered adoption.

Surma likely wanted to pass on her powers. She accepted her death willingly, so that there would be another person with her skills for the Court's benefit.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Driven mad with power, Annie unleashes her massive psychic abilities upon the Court, and then, humanity as a whole. Can Kat and Smitty, the last survivors of Gunnerkrigg, possibly stop her in time? Can Boxbot redeem himself at last? Probably not.

Someone draw/photoshop a Gunnerkrigg version of Akira, please.

I had been debating rewriting the plot to Carrie with Annie in her place, back when Reynardine was breaking all of Annie's hopes and dreams, but decided against it.

It would have fit, right then and there.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Revolver Bunker posted:

No Jean Gre- I mean Antimony. Don't do it. There is more in this world then hate and rage. The Pheonix need not cleanse this world.

Oh yes it does.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The 19th Person posted:

This is probably going to come off as perplexing for Kat and the rest.

Annie: I'm going to go get some homework done.

*Hour later*

Elgamore: Annie just tried to kill me and ran into the forest.

Of course, Reynardine is there to fill in the gaps, but still, it's going to come off as mostly out-of-the-blue.

That was some loving homework.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am going with "Coyote knows, and the next panel will be him somberly saying 'I know.'"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Annie is...

BATMAN.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

Jones is Annie's biological father.

Well, they're both robots. It just makes sense.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The 19th Person posted:

I'm legitimately interested in seeing this, partly because I want to see the world of gunnerkrigg outside of the court and partly because It would be interesting to have some Kat-centric time.

I wanna see him go back and forth, tell a Kat story alongside an Annie story.

Kat going to Cloud City and meeting Lando while Annie trains on Dagobah-type thing.

(I've been watching the Plinkett reviews of the Star Wars prequel trilogies and it's made me nostalgic for the original trilogy, pardon my geek analogy.)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

idonotlikepeas posted:

My take on the villains in GC: ignorance, apathy, selfishness, intolerance, fear, and despair.

:aaa: ANNIE IS CAPTAIN MARVEL

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I were Antimony, I'd say "It shows that I'm Coyote's friend."

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rei_ posted:

Really though, Kat was killed in a car accident about a week after she left.

:eng101: Burned to death in a house fire.

"If only you'd been there, Annie! You could have saved her from the fire! Woooooooo!"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=662
Here's another really good view of the city at large.

For posting that page, a page right by that page needs to be posted for amazingness.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MagnoliaPearl posted:

i made some improvements to a recent page, you're welcome!!!

Never make these improvements again. Thank you.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The crab is a robot, obvs. C'mon, guys.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I liked everything in and about this chapter. I was perfectly content with it.

But then, seeing as you haven't flaked out on writing Gunnerkrigg in any way, shape or form, I am confident you'll eventually finish the story and draw the conclusion as you want to see it. Long-term storycrafting is hard, especially long-term episodic storycrafting. Sometimes you have to leave people in the dark, so that the payoff is that much sweeter.

Now get to some of the fukkin' payoff. <:mad:>

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I like how ChibiSoma never posted in this thread again after that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keru posted:

She's going to train in Zwee Fighting?

Every time I think about Buttlord GT, I end up reading it.

It slays me every time for some reason.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's the "Jones Is Totes A Robot" alarm. :colbert:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like how Tea-san can't even step foot in this thread right now. He'd either have to say absolutely nothing about the story to avoid spoiling where this is going next, or use the most featherlight touch imaginable.

Top marks, Tea-san. :golfclap:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
This update totally makes me think that Marvin Gaye should start playing. Oh yeah.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ursine Asylum posted:

Naw, you see, you have to throw a page halfway through an arc that draws people in with nostalgia, like this.

Yup. You got me. Already a hundred pages later, after clicking that link about 20 minutes ago.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drakyn posted:

Paz status: still confused.
It's sort of a shame we missed seeing the results of the switch firsthand. Did something start smoking and hissing right away? Were there thirty seconds of additional Paz confusion before something exploded violently? Did the robo-chickenwing catch on fire first or was it the desk, the ceiling, the passionately super romantic and smooth expressions on Kat's face? We may never know.

Your imagination running with the idea is the most fun part of the cutaway, just like how horror movies are better when they don't show you everything creepy and unsettling, but hint at them.

I think Kat tried to smooch Paz and then everything exploded, personally.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SpaceViking posted:

I don't think she's a pedophile. Adolescent birds only.

Yeah, hey, what is this. Tom has clearly illustrated that Kat does not like girls OR boys, REALLY. She likes BIRDS!. I am putting on my fedora of disgust.

Also, Paz is hella smooth and Kat just got her mind blown. D'aww.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

Going by these two pages, I'd say homophobia in the Court is alive and well - Kat and Paz are both acting as though being anything other than straight is at least slightly taboo. I think we should probably assume that the Court is roughly equivalent to the real UK in terms of attitudes.

Most of the adults in the Court seem like cool people and wouldn't have an issue with it. But this shows that it's somewhere.

I'm guessing some of the no-name classmates might start some poo poo.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

We've seen very few of the court's adults, though. There's the Donlans, Jimmy Jims, Jones, that jerk dryad, that botanist who just seems to not want to get involved with things in general, Bugsy, and the most aloof headmaster ever. Oh, and a maniacal supervillain. That's a lot of staff we haven't met beyond one-panel appearances.

Most of the adults that we've seen.

My bad, should have been clearer.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah. Boxbot might have a bad rep, but I like the little dude. :colbert:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just hope Annie isn't doing the whole crying-run-off-thing like in Fire Spike.

I was gonna link the page, then ended up reading through Chapter 33. Everyone should just go read more of Gunnerkrigg.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm saying she's a robot.

AND I'm saying Boxbot rules. :colbert:

Purposely obtuse and contrary team, assemble! Or fuckin'... do whatever!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Annie is gonna take the opportunity now that Kat is busy to mack on all the hot birds.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mr. stefan posted:

Watch it turn out that the only homophobic member of the cast is Boxbot.

No, it will be Robox, and Boxbot will slap that sucka down for his jerkitude, and you will ALL jump on the Boxbot fan-train and I will call you all out as bandwagon jumpers. :colbert:

I really, really like this chapter. It's been very fun, and I was super nervous that it was gonna come off as hackneyed or something. Teach me to doubt Tea-San. Dude's super good at this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Parahexavoctal posted:

That's also why she was so excited to see cows .

In the page right after that one, is Paz singing a song I'm unfamiliar with, or is she just saying something in Spanish?