Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Oh, that Renard. Always up to somethin' suspicious he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Air is lava! posted:

I do really like this comic. That's why I read the whole thing a few weeks ago.
But I am not really thrilled by this chapter. I can't really describe it, but it feels sort of stiff. Right now, the pacing seems unrewarding. Maybe it's just a backlash, because almost every page of the previous chapter was so cute and pretty. But pay attention the background of todays comic. It really isn't something I like looking at.

I'm actually really digging this chapter's atmosphere. Hetty's a hard turn out into left field that pretty much instantly changes the tone, but even despite her the pacing and the subdued, desaturated backgrounds create a really effective feeling of listlessness. Renard's been practically oozing ennui ever since this chapter started, and even while Hetty's creepy adorable evil jams itself into the foreground and demands your attention everything behind her maintains this vague sense of existential despair that perfectly captures both Renard's reaction to her and his overall mood. It's a slow burn and it'll probably read better once you can get it all in one shot instead of having it slowly doled out three pages a week, but if it feels stiff and unrewarding I think that's very much intentional.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

That tree room has been a recurring bit of imagery in the comic for a while now, although as far as I can recall we've yet to see if it's got any story relevance beyond "man there sure is some weird stuff in the Court."

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I'm glad we can finally drop the pretense and acknowledge that Hetty really is as evil as she looks.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Haledjian posted:

Renard is the least interesting fox in anything since the fox in The Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim

He's certainly no mysterious fox.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 22, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Dr. Buttass posted:

You get people all over like Tumblr and poo poo saying "stop shaming shippers it's just harmless fun don't take that away from them" like dude if it was really harmless fun we wouldn't object to it, these people take it way too seriously.

Eh, I don't know that shipping in and of itself is necessarily a bad thing, but being a creepy obsessive weirdo definitely is. I leave it up to the reader to decide whether they find a correlation between the two.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 28, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Annie in the Forest was much shorter than I expected. I would've felt a bit gypped by the 15 dollar price tag if I had bought it. Are normal short-form comics that expensive?

Print comics of that length (usually a little shorter due to ads but generally in the same ballpark) usually run three or four dollars (most Marvel/DC books are $3, some indies will go for $4). Annie in the Forest is a slightly different situation since it's a bit longer, doesn't have ads (or colors TBF), and isn't backed by a standard comic imprint, but I definitely looked at the price myself and decided it was just too steep no matter how nice it'd be to have a copy.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 6, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

YellerBill posted:

Also the mystery girl is totally not Zimmy but is definitely designed to make you do a double take.

My money's on "she is Zimmy, but none of this is real." The cruise ship out of nowhere is some kind of dream sequence or illusion and this is somebody's (Annie's? Jack's?) fantasy of a 'reformed' Zimmy. That's my kneejerk prediction based on Annie's "Wait a second, what?" reaction at the top of the page and the fact that Jack looks like he gained five years in the couple of months since we last saw him.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I still maintain that this cruise isn't what it seems.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Despite being a not-black-haired not-girl, I saw the vague resemblance the author intended, but still recognized that it was a different person.

I assumed she was some kind of older, prettier, idealized version of Zimmy, mostly because she was introduced in the same panel as new be-facial haired Jack who appears to have gone through the same kind of transformation.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

C'mon Paz don't go ogling other women while your girlfriend is right there, look at how upset Kat is now

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Blackheart posted:

Good point, although technically Hetty was the doll... unless the murder shrimp

WAS ALSO NAMED HETTY!?

Maybe "Hetty" was a nickname or some kind of variation on the shrimp-demon's name, kind of like "Reynardine" vs. "Renard."

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cabbit posted:

I can't shake the feeling Winsbury's about to do.. something.

don't worry guys vegeta's got this

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I feel like this is gonna be the chapter where the kids who don't have superpowers (or at least not flashy ones) get a chance to shine, but I also vaguely feel like we maybe already had that one?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Genetic Toaster posted:

My immediate thought was Eglamore but I love the Coyote idea so much more.

Elgamore and Anja are the most likely/sensible choices. Coyote technically fits the bill the best, but Annie's not foolish enough to call him in, so if that's what happens it'd have to be an accident like someone speculated.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Maybe we should just let the man write the loving comic and stop arguing about things that have not happened.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I think this time Spider City has manifested so severely that it's closer to physical space than the aether--you'll notice how last time, only a few people went in and it mostly seemed to exist in Zimmy's mind (or something like that), whereas this time everybody is here and the whole thing has to exist at least partially in 'real' space if the ship wants to have permanent flesh. That's why Annie doesn't have the cut; this Zimmy Fun Time is so fun we're not even in aetherspace anymore.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

I still hope the day to be saved by spontaneous break-dancing.

If you put a no breakdancing sign on the mantle in act 1, somebody has to breakdance by the end of act 3.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, that's right! My sword is in my mind!

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

Way to kill the drama. Everyone knows that when a spooky ghost dies they just come right back as a spooky ghost.

Annie's going deeper.

The trick is that they actually come back as a spookier ghost. The tension comes from not knowing what fresh horrors spooky elf ghost's ghost will bring us.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Annie just needs to keep going until she can get some purple Pikmin on the last floor.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Honestly it seems like a bit of a leap to assume anybody without an aetheric presence would be able to meaningfully interact with the arrow at all, let alone do whatever Annie needs to do to fix this Jeanne problem.

On the other hand they probably could have just sent Basil, seeing as he's immune to Maze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

The Jeanne Dream Dimension may not be a direct 1:1 scale representation of reality. There's probably leeway to fudge the distances. Also, she's a ghost.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 10, 2016