Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

So I read this thing since goons consistently recommended it in pretty much every thread whenever there's webcomic recommendations. It's pretty drat amazing, you can see how the author's drawing (and writing!) vastly improved since the early parts, and the setting and story themselves are legitimately compelling. And now I have to wait for each update. Goons! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Fecha posted:

It's also interesting that he had to contact Annie / Don through Jones.

I imagine he did that to avoid the court, any means to directly get to Don would likely be monitored.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Really, unless we are NOT shown what Anthony wants the Microsat 5 for I think we can reserve judgement. I think it's hard to judge a character when we know there will be a lot revealed about soon; seeing what he wants to do with the Microsat will tell us more about his current activities (and might shed light on his motives and behaviour!) than anything has(n't) so far.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Ohtsam posted:

Anyone consider the possibility that Jones is Brinnie, Annie's father did have her number after all.

Eglamore says Jones couldn't be in the photoshoot and Don says Surma can't stand her, so unless there's shape-shifting going on I don't think this is a likely scenario.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, it is really weird that Tony would ask for medical supplies to be delivered like that. It gives me the feeling that he's on the run from something.

Reminding everyone of the ComicMix webcomic tournament: Gunnerkrigg's made it to the final 16 and is currently beating Penny Arcade!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Put this into perspective with the story Donny recounted and what he told Annie: "The point is, with Tony, the smallest thing can carry the greatest weight." I think it's pretty obvious she's looking back to what she could only see as a detached, professional treatment of an injury, and realising that her father was actually probably sickly worried, even if he didn't show it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Haha jeez, not being a native English speaker, I usually read words like these (names of animals that are written in more or less the same way) as I would in my own language so I always end up pronouncing it ko-yot (or maybe I added a silent-ish 'e' there at the end). Really hadn't thought more about it and had no idea how wrong I was about how it is pronounced. :)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

The best part about this is that we don't know for sure which is which. My theory was that the ether form is the way he truly is, the tree form is how others see him, and the scraggly dying wolf is how he sees himself.

That's funny, I thought it was obvious it was meant to be like that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Fake Edit: Whelp, now I kinda feel out of place with all the GC-avatars here :v:

Given this thread you might as well wake up from a nap and suddenly have one too.

I'm sort of hoping that as part of the side projects Tom will indulge in will be redrawing the first few chapters in the newer style. Not that I don't like baseball Antimony, but... yeah.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I know telescopes have this black circle in the middle of their lens at their ends but I can't shake the image that Annie and Donald are about to be crushed by a meteor.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Is Zimmy in the same room there, or is it an ominous shot to signify this all has to do with her? It's hard to tell.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

So when Zimmy and Gamma communicate psychically are they just talking with each other's mind pidgeons?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Filthy Haiku posted:

Oh my god, Annie got fresh with a green forest boy. :3:

Oh god what if Annie is ill because she got teen pregnant? :ohdear:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The mask sort of reminds me of the Fire Elemental's face, but it's probably just a coincidence.

endolithic posted:

So Annie's binding from Coyote goes from a ring of teeth last page to a plain wrapping in the first panel and is gone by the second-to-last panel. Maybe it's a symbolic depiction of her return to the court. Now she's unhappy but putting on a brave face for her friends? That doesn't explain her collapse or why Jones is naked, but there may be more to see.

I would agree with this, but... Jones is the one giving her the mask so I dunno.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

pik_d posted:

So when she removes the mask she starts wearing Zimmy's real world clothes? And what the hell is Zimmy wearing with that collar and the red streaks in her hair? It's not her Birmingham clothes because that has no collar, and it's not the same collar as her real world clothes.

Also the pigeon doesn't even know it's a pigeon on Kat's head.

Pretty sure she's just wearing the clothes she was wearing on the tree scene, not Zimmy's clothes.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Cestrian posted:

That story idea then.

And yes I know people's moods are directly linked to their physical health in lots of ways, but it tends to be more subtle then "I'm feeling upset, oops I'm in a coma" which is what some people are suggesting. You look ragged, you stop sleeping or eating well, you recover slower from injuries. Flat out collapsing and being bed ridden just because you're in emotional turmoil only really happens to regency heroines and Prince Zuko.

There tends to be other factors involved as well. Such as, for instance, her dad performing surgery on her.

I don't think people never collapse under stress, but yeah a coma is far-fetched.

This does seem like Anthony's doing after all. Maybe this was his gambit with the satellite, perhaps he knew Annie couldn't resist sneaking her blinker stone on it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Aceofblue posted:

Alternatively, what if her sending up the blinker stone was an unexpected "invitation" for him to go tinkering? Anthony saw it and couldn't resist poking at it. I still don't think he's actively malicious.

It needn't be maliciousness, he could be doing this out of benevolence. Hell for all we know he may may even have Annie's consent to do this.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

Dear Tom:

I have an idea for you to make a bunch of money. First, set a goal for how much money you want and ask people to donate toward that goal. Then, when the goal is reached, post one comic a day for one week. Just one week.

I'm saying I'd donate all I could for just one week of daily updates please. You get a ton of money, we get more Gunerkrigg.

Since the updates are already made and posted from an existing buffer that would seem like a dickish move that would alienate readers imo.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

bouncyman posted:

How does Zimmy know what Anthony looks like? The way Tom has been avoiding showing a clear drawing of the dude implies to me that it's not actually Anthony, but Annie's friends just assume it is because he's dicked her around before.

At the same time we've never seen Anthony outside of flashbacks. There's something, almost a mystique, surrounding this lack of physical appearances along the main narrative thread.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Random thought that crossed my mind: What if Tony is ON Microsat 5 and actually conducting surgery from up there?

This would also be a cool explanation as to why his call couldn't be traced.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Literally Sharks posted:

Microsatellites are normally not large enough for a person to walk around in. Those are called space stations.

Bongo Bill posted:

It's called "Microsat," when even normal-size satellites aren't fit for human habitation.

I know Gunnerkrigg is a comic to get stuff like this correct, but we've already seen that Don and Tony use etheric technology which differentiates their projects from real-life ones. There's nothing to assure us that this is a normal, regular microsatellite and not a big one, or hell, that it isn't larger on the inside than what it looks like from the outside (using perhaps similar technology/magic to Don's matter-displacement door).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

pik_d posted:

Like that matters? Zimmy has changed clothes between panels of the same page.

This obviously means that Jack is Anthony.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I know this Jack repeated the line he'd told Annie back then, but I can't shake the feeling that he's the real deal and not just a memory.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

And Zimmy thinks this is hideous? That's some terrible taste in looks she has, Kat has never looked cooler.

I wonder if/when we hit the point where Tom started drawing after switching to full time. Though I guess even if we still haven't exhausted the pre-existing buffer in quantity he might've still redrawn some pages.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Fatkraken posted:

Or none of them

Zimmyvision is idiosyncratic to say the least.

gently caress this puts the crack on it in a whole new light.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know.

"Why is Annie not accepting Kat's cool monocle magnifier with laser attachment?"

e; Just realised I made it 150x150 instead of 125x125 pixels

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 23, 2012

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

KSAF Staff Report posted:

I am glad he made that switch. The only reason I got past the art of the first few was because of the well-developed love goons had for it and I figured it became either horrible or wonderful.

Fortunately it was the latter.

EDIT: Isn't she 14 now? Or thereabouts? I'm not used to the year system, so I don't know what age range she is in.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I wouldn't have just not given the thing a try if I only knew the first page.

If Gunnerkrigg is Junior High/Highschool, Annie should've started at around 12, and I think she's on her third year now so she should be around 15.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Coyote is legitimately angry here. Every time he's played pranks, his smile and bright disposition have never evaporated (see two pages ago), and in fact the only other time we've seen him out of fun-mode was the first couple pages he appeared before he learned who Annie was. Now? Well.

My bet's on Coyote calming down after Ysengrin intervenes, and then we learn from one source or another about his Great Secret.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Well ok then Coyote. In retrospect what I expected was too cliché to be good writing, and Tom's writing is good writing.

Holy poo poo

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Violen posted:

In any earlier chapter I'd say Coyote's secret is a dangerous or damaging admission from the forest's, his or Ysengrin's perspectives based on Ysengrin's reaction, but now I'm worried this is something Annie will regret hearing and she's the only one not in on the joke. I think Ysengrin is finally finding reason to have issue with Coyote's careless bullshit, and I think Annie's safety (or at least happiness) relative to this secret is that reason.

This is interesting. Ysengrin for all his pride does allow Coyote to greatly insult him (his pride is probably wounded by the fact that Coyote's keeping him on life support anyway). I suppose we can deduce from this that Ysengrin doesn't really care about Coyote exposing him at this point, and the great secret will expose (or in the process hurt) someone he does care about. I wouldn't discount the forest yet; the secret will either expose the forest side immensely, or it will hurt Annie. Hell, maybe it will do both, Annie certainly holds attachment to the forest.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

^ Tea's appearances are between chapters though, they do not break the flow of the story since they are made only when the flow is already broken.

Saoshyant posted:

Going on a rant here for a moment, but Coyote breaking the fourth wall is something that does not work and I hope we'll never see again. It took me away from the story immediately. Coyote can take the mooon out of the sky, create a whole race of people, make a sword out of a tooth, or split into bits and untangle himself in impossible ways. That's great, that's what we love about him. But he is part of a story, and breaking the fourth wall to remind me that I am indeed reading a story is not something I wanted to see. It's not clever and is passé as hell now that everyone and their dog already did it.

And even if he was being "so meta" that he was merely pretending to break the fourth wall, it still breaks the flow. Sorry for being picky like this, but this really annoyed me. It broke the flow. Do not break the flow -- it feels like a posh orchestra being interrupted by a bunch of hooligans with vuvuzelas. And I have a headache now.

Agreed, though I didn't let it bother me as much as it did. I suppose there could have been a better way to skip through all the story-telling (a purely graphical, like two or three panels in place of the first showing the sun's passage through the sky for instance), but we're about to learn Coyote's Great Secret here so I'd rather focus on that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

KSAF Staff Report posted:

I also intensely dislike the rather overwrought cliffhanger. Although I understand he may be doing this to devote an entire page to the great secret, now that I think about it.This one just feels like stalling, however.

No, this is ok, and it works fine, especially on paper if it's on an odd-numbered numbered page, meaning you have to turn the page right after the "cliffhanger".

I don't think we'd have a cliffhanger for the sake of a cliffhanger on something that once it's been archived is only a click away.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Zorak posted:

Coyote's "4th wall breaking" can just as easily be him narrating things going on to no one because he is silly like that! Stop being so rigid, y'all.

Yeah ok I can read it like that if I want, but what matters is what you get when you initially read it, not when you think it over, and when I read it it felt clunky. Like someone else said it would have been better if Coyote was shown to be addressing an imaginary audience/a beetle or something rather than the reader.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

I read today's update right when it went up in the early morning and I've got to say I found it genuinely creepy. The way I interpreted it, with Coyote acknowledging that he's a fictional character, it felt kind of eerie, like the comic itself was turning to face me, the reader, and saying "yes, I see you." Maybe if I read the comic in the afternoon, as I usually do, it wouldn't have affected me so much, but it definitely jolted me awake.

I imagine you don't follow a lot of comics then? Breaking the fourth wall and having characters/the comic acknowledge their own fictional nature is hardly something rare.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Dyllyn posted:

So Coyote only exists in as much as man needs him to exist?

I don't think so, since he says the dying man's thoughts persist after his death. He sounds like the manifestation of such abstract thoughts, more so than the manifestation of the belief in him, in that he continues to exist even after the thought has been put into the past and its thinker is gone.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

So, I wonder what the implications of this are for Zimmy. Seems entirely possible that all those Nobodies she tends to run into in her world could actually be some sort of remnants of the dead. After all, she doesn't quite go to the "normal" ether, but something else that seems tied to it.

Well she saw a Jack nobody last chapter, and as far as we know, Jack's alive and well.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Well so much for Ysengrin being friendlier and cuddlier.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Wait so now that Ysengrin is trying to kill Annie again does that mean they'll become double friends

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Talorat posted:

Man do you think Tom is actually gonna kill off Ysengin? Has he even killed off a character so far in the story?

You gotta start from somewhere. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

And Annie killed an ant.

Huh, this begs the question, who'll take Ysengrin after he dies?