Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm impressed at how quickly my hope turned to ash with today's update.

Friday: "Hooray, Annie expressed Zimmy's concern to Kat, who will take reasonable precautions before doing anything rash"
Today: "Wait, no, Kat is completely dismissing Zimmy's concern as crazytalk, and will probably now be doubling down on her experiments, then blame Annie for Zimmy's death because she didn't physically restrain Kat and just tried to talk to her like a reasonable person."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

kat’s never been all that aware of the effect she has on the ether and the only person who can fully grasp it is zimmy herself, it makes sense she’d be incredulous at this piece of news

her inability to grasp the full ramifications of her experiments has been her main flaw going back years

Yeah, but I was kinda hoping that being directly told "Hey, the person who is directly tied to the Ether is genuinely concerned that using the Omegs Device will kill her" would at least make Kat doublecheck her work. Instead seeing her immediately describe Zimmy as a crazy person makes me more concerned that she's just going to double-down and press on without doublechecking what she's doing.

And then she'll blame Annie because, gently caress it, everyone else seems to blame her for their own actions.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm really hoping it's going to turn out Jenny has been hanging out with Kat and badmouthing Zimmy in an attempt to become the nuZimmy, possibly with the Court's help.

Convince Kat that Zimmy is just a weird crazy girl, get Kat to use the Omega device and kill Zimmy in the process, and then step into the Zimmy-shaped hole in the ether and pilot the Court's ship across the sea of stars in exchange for a life of comfort on the other side?

Edit: or leaning into the "full-blown soap opera", Jenny is actually Zimmy's evil twin from the other side of the Star Ocean, who is trying to manipulate everyone into returning her there. Oh, and she's carrying Annie's child or something.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arbetor posted:

So are the square with rounded corners narration bubbles back to the DRAMATISATION from the first page of the chapter? A dramatization of Loup is the only reason I can think of to describe anything he has done as involving "bitter wrath".

I'm guessing it's supposed to be Annie narrating, considering the last time we saw Loup, he was too busy being in love to worry about things like "bitter wrath", and Annie isn't aware that Loup is Jerrik. Honestly, with the opening page, I would almost think this was supposed to either be the Halloween comic that missed its deadline by a few monthes, or the lead-in to Halloween.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I thought Kat was planning to use Omega to find Zimmy to warn her, why is she still trying to use it when they found her already?

Maybe I missed something, I dunno, its been kinda of hard keeping track of whats actually going on lately

No, Kat was just being "Think of everything we can do with it!" Then when Annie asked if it could be used to find Zimmy, Kat responded "Well, amongst other things, sure". So it's less "She wanted to use it to find Zimmy" and more "She wanted to use it and maybe find Zimmy".

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2718

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh, cool, so she sticks the chip into herself and suddenly gains control of all the deactivated machines? Or will this be more of a "she's controlling them subconsciously and doesn't realize until the very last moment" deals?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

isasphere posted:

I read it as Paz wanting to see if Annie would be the voice of reason and say anything about how incredibly dangerous this is, and that they really shouldn't do it, but then Annie says nothing (the panel with "...").

Looks like one of those situations where one friend proposes something risky and the rest of the group all individually think it's possibly a bad idea but no one wants to be the one to give a hard No, so they check if anyone else would back them up in their protests before reluctantly saying yes.

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be "Paz looks at Annie to say something" or if it's supposed to be "Paz facing Kat, turns to look at the tools, then glances back at Kat" and Annie just happens to be both of them. It's honestly hard to tell because Paz starts off facing facing Kat, then a bunch of closeups on her hand and face, then her and Kat are side by side and Annie is behind them both.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Either that, or we're about to see a ~sudden twist~ revealing Paz to have been a mole all along and either steals the chip while Kat's sedated or something something mind control.

But yeah, I don't see why Paz wouldn't know about minor medical treatments from dealing with animals, I'm sure she's had to make minor incisions because something got stuck in an animal's hoof or had to drain an infected wound.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

50/50 chance that Kat ends up thinking and talking like a computer, or she goes into a coma and her consciousness is spread among the dead robots. Or it turns out that her consciousness was inside boxbot all along, and we're all terrible people for laughing at poor old boxbot.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What was Paz's stance on technology in the past?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

But Kat said Annie is the one good with a scalpel. I don't remember her ever using one, just that she used lockpicking tools waaaay back in the day.

Being good with a scalpel doesn't mean you know which anesthetic to use, or what would be needed for post-insertion treatment.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If anything does happen to Zimmy from this, I'm just hoping Paz stands up for Annie and tells Kat "She told you this was going to happen and you dismissed her. This is all your fault."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cavatica posted:

I'm just going to leave this here: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2237

That Paz clearly spoke up to Kat and her obsessions. So I'm not sure how I'm supposed to believe that the Paz today is so conflict adverse that she won't speak up on something that's clearly upsetting her, but is going to press on anyway.

Especially when Kat ultimately said her confrontations helped in the end. Like, I would buy it if there was the kind of resolution to that arc where no one appreciated her saying something, and that made her want to avoid it in the future. But we didn't get that, nor do we have any reason to believe that Kat would suddenly abandon either of them for raising concerns about this.

I forgot about that. I wonder if Paz's reaction is more that she's reached the breaking point with Kat and has decided to end their relationship over this. I don't think we've really seen much of their actual relationship, just that they've been in pretty bad rough patches in the past, but basically from the point when Kat said she wanted the chip implanted, Paz has seemed coldly clinical with the only real sign of emotion being the tear.

Edit: Never mind, Paz was smiling right after saying that they needed a few extra things. So I have no idea what's going on or why Paz is suddenly crying.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 15, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

bartolimu posted:

I expect the jarring Chekhov's Gun "yeah that magnetic activator thingy on the table way over there - I'll need that after this gets implanted" will pay off with Paz stealing it and running out.

...and then handing it over in two pages, after some Annie voiceover frames telling us how hard it was to convince her.

Nah, Annie will see it as her one chance to stop Kat from loving with Omega and steal it, shattering Kats trust in her and causing Kat to throw herself fully into activating Omega and killing Zimmy, which will be blamed on Annie because she stole the device that would let Kat research Omega safely.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kat connects to Omega and learns that the entire world the Court and Forest are in are Omega, and the entire thing is a giant simulation to learn what would happen if the Bismuth Seed was used by the agents to make a Court. Every "normal" person leaving the simulation are the original agents that started the program, and it will terminate when they leave. The last page of the issue is the ship crossing the ocean. End of comic.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, maybe Monday's strip will be the undead robots kicking down the front door.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

why are Paz and Annie angry in panels 5 and 6? That is not a normal reaction to this situation. It would make sense for them to be angry at Kat after they hear her say "it kinda worked," if they're thinking "god dammit kat you WANTED this to happen, and didn't even warn us?" But surely until then they ought to still be extremely alarmed that their friend has been violently removed from her own body apparently on accident.

No, no, I think they're right tto be pissed then even before she said it kinda worked. Kat doesn't read like she's scared or concerned at all about where she is, and just reads like she's having trouble finding a lightswitch. They seemed to realize pretty quick what Kat did after the initial "Oh poo poo she exploded" moment wore off and she was grumbling about needing to find things.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inglonias posted:

Welp. Kat's dead. There's a copy of her in the cloud or whatever, but Kat's dead. Congratulations, Kat. You're dead and nobody will ever know because there's a perfect digital clone of you.

She just needs to figure out the port settings and IP address to access the meatshell. Simple mistake really, who hasn't forgotten to write those things down before ascending to a state of transhumanism? It's like forgetting the combination to your locker, that's all.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Moskau posted:

That, or...

Hey now, Kat and Paz don't look half-asleep. Mouthes are pretty spot on mind you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So how long until Kat has the brilliant idea to build an exosuit she can remotely pilot to sustain and give her meatshell mobility, with speakers and cameras built into it so she can interact with people while she completely neglects actually getting back into her body as it decays and eventually dies without her noticing investigates Omega.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

I'm guessing they will either screw up the restart process, or we'll end up with one physical Kat and one Robot Goddess Kat.

Oh great, another arc of "Oh, there are two different versions of this character. Which one is the reaaaaaal one?" that ends with Zimmy snapping her fingers and merging them together which no one ever comments on again. The undead robots can't eat their brains fast enough.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

When even the characters in your comic are getting pissed about the current storyline.

We just spent a week on basically nothing happening to move the plot forward.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If this comic wants to go real grimdark real fast,

"Robot finds Kats comatose body, tries to turn it off and on again. Robot turns Kat off, is unable to turn her back on." Everyone blames Annie because "gently caress you, Annie" has apparently been the moral of the past few chapters.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

Boxbot, what what you done?

actually they're going to put kat in a little shrine and parade her around like a grail reliquae

The Triumph of St Katherine, but with robots?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ah crap, you just hate to see it when the models glitch out.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fragrag posted:

Kat's been binging Satisfactory it seems like

Might be Factorio, we don't know if she has to deal with creatures trying to get her to piss off and leave their dimension alone.

Does Satisfactory have base defense elements? I've never played it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So this could be a Factorio situation instead depending on if the pocket dimension had other things living there first.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

At least the Jerrek stuff had SOMETHING happening in them, I'm honestly getting the feeling Tom has no idea how to actually progress the story now and is stalling for time while he tries to come up with an ending for this storyline.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

This chapter has been extremely eventful so far, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about here.

It's just been really oddly paced and a lot of emotional whiplash from said odd pacing (Paz is crying silently at the end of one page. Next page she's big happy smiles even when Kat can't see her.) You have several events happen in short succession, followed by several pages of Kat making jokes from beyond the grave and Annie and Paz being pissed.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Paz: "So Annie, I just have to ask... what the gently caress did we just wander into? You've known her longer than I have and gotten into lots of crazy adventures with her, you must know what's going on."
Annie: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Two people having a reasonable discussion about their concerns rather than one just arbitrarily blaming the other for everything that has gone wrong? Who killed Tom and replaced him, and can they keep writing the comic?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is this the first time that Tom has confirmed that the metal goddess we saw way back when was the aether version of Kat? It's nice to see people actually talking to each other, a nice change of pace from people blaming Annie for their own choices.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i don't think it's kat's ether form per se. the theory ive landed on is it's the echo of who she was supposed to become when annie died and it's attempting to imprint and "reassert" itself into history devoid of its original context for existing

I'm curious as to how you reach that conclusion. I can see something along the lines of "The Machine Goddess will be Kats natural endstate, no matter what happens she WILL become the Goddess of Machines, and it echos back in time and ether beings see her as she will be, not as she is", but so far the comic has always seemed to fall into the "Kat was/is/shall become the Goddess the robots believe her to be" and not "Well, she does if Annie dies" side of things. I'm just curious why you feel that's the way the story is going.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Okay, NOW the theory that Kat would go full-on machine goddess without Annie holds water. Or she would just go SHODAN/Skynet rather than be benevolent without Annie around to say "Dude, chill."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

"We'll always keep Kat on the right path" say the two girls who JUST gave almost zero push back when Kat asked them to do something they were both obviously uncomfortable with and wound up almost killing Kat.

I was going to say that her initial explanation for the chip wasn't too concerning, then I rechecked and she explicitly said that it would mean she wouldn't need to interact with the screens, she could interface directly with it, so I'm going to chalk it up to bad writing, bad character motivation and Tom just not giving a gently caress on keeping things consistent anymore Annie and Paz didn't understand what Kat was saying and trusted her to know what she was doing.

... hey, didn't this chapter start off by talking about zombie robots?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How soon after Annie was saved by the birds did Paz appear? I'm just picturing Paz doing a reveal that she was the psychopomp assigned to bring Annie to the afterlife, but she was clearly not dead, so Paz stuck around trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on, and just now is realizing Kat's a nascent godling and is able to divinely intervene.

Edit: Never mind, she came before Annie's fall.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 23, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

In defense of the comic/Kat, she does say at least once that they need remove the conflict and then restart the computer, so uninstalling one of the programs would do it. I'm just expecting Kat to tell Paz to uninstall a program that a bunch of other programs have dependencies on and lock herself even further out of her body and the network.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2752

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You're also assuming that Kat isn't crazy enough to make a custom OS for herself. Or at least that her parents didn't.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Not the smartest, but definitely the wisest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey now, it is possible Tom took the backlash from Annie taking the blame for everything to heart and had characters accept the blame for their own choices (or maybe other two were just gaslighting her and/or actually working for the Court and uses her to track down Zimmy). I mean, it's not like he's kept doubling down on blaming her for everything.