Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i cant believe my 100% unserious post called it

It's not that bad of a guess though. It makes sense, Omega is something that's a major part of the plot but hasn't shown up, and we're nearing the end of the comic.

It's just that I don't think anyone was expecting it FROM TOM at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

YggiDee posted:

...who is Omega again?

The person or thing that was supposed to be 100% accurate in predicting events before they happened, and also directly responsible for Annie being born... OH GOD drat IT.

I don't know why, but that Omega's prediction is the thing that directly led to Tony and Surma becoming a couple annoys me. I'm hoping that it's just a happy coincidence and not actually a major plot point in Omega's grand plan... whatever it is.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rat Patrol posted:

Wait what? I don't remember that, do you happen to know when that was? Tbh the plot's been sliding off my brain for a while now

Tony's orders have the Omega letter on the envelope. Not 100% them saying "This is all because of Omega" but A) the trip had been planned for awhile according to the start of the chapter and B) Anja's dad died right before it, making Surma the only one able to go with Tony on the trip.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The flipside of that could be that Omega wanted to be free of the Court, and engineered/manipulated the events that led to the creation of a paradox so it wouldn't be usable any more.

Arrange trip so Surma goes with Tony ->
Tony + Surma = Annie ->
Surma dies, Annie is sent to Court ->
Annie makes friends with Kat ->
Annie dies ->
Kat goes insane ->
Tiktok birds are made->
Kat breaks reality->
Birds sent back in time ->
???

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't think so? Definitely looks similar, but missing the black eyegoop, and I don't think we've seen Zimmy wearing anything like that dress before. Also, the color makes me think it's supposed to be a sepia-toned picture, so what we're seeing may be... huh. How old is the Court supposed to be? We could be seeing Omega's origin (and possibly the Court and maybe even Zimmy's origin, depending on how they all tie together).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... was Zimmy's first appearance before or after Annie was saved by the Tictoc birds?

Edit: Zimmy showed up beforehand, so no weird "Zimmy came about because of Kat breaking time" shenanigans. Or maybe she still will be, because the birds showed up in Chapter 1.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 26, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Out of all the possible ways to wrap up the Omega mystery, "Oh, yeah, she was just Zimmy's grandma and no one thought to ask Zimmy" is possibly the lamest way to explain it... which is why that's what's going to happen, isn't it?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Or at least "These three pages are one event". We may go forward, we may go further back. Probably going to to forward in time though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bonster posted:

The pace seems perfectly fine to me? There's a lot happening over a few pages.

The past few chapters have had a really odd pacing where not a lot tends to happen for a while, then suddenly multiple things are being brought up at once and then almost immediately ignored or brushed off (See the whole "Annie demands to know who Omega is, gets interrupted by Shadow, Shadow asks who Omega is and Annie replies saying "I unno, it doesn't matter""). While Tom's dedication to the M-W-F schedule is admirable, I do wonder if the pacing would be much more consistent and tighter if he were working at his own pace.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind having pages of just artwork conveying that they're on foot, it's just taking awhile, it's just when you end up with multiple plot threads being dumped on you at once and then just kinda discarded that's annoying.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is it eye gunk or just bags under her eyes combined with the sepia tone?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, I think it's safe to assume she's directly related to Zimmy. I don't think we've seen too many humans with those red eyes.

The actual pacing seems to be much better in the past few pages (say what you will about the way Robot and the Cult's reveal were handled, at least it wasn't meandering and tripping over itself), so I wonder if the weird pacing in the Zimmy-Loup-Coyote-verse was just Tom knowing he wanted to get from point A to point C, but had no idea where to go when it came to point B.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 3, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm going to guess either she's eternally long-lived, or the court pulled a "Brain in a jar" on her after she died to keep using her prediction powers, and when the Court decided to bail, they left her behind because she would be useless without the ether. Either Zimmy's a direct descendent of hers, or the Court started experimenting with cloning her when the Tictoc birds appeared and her powers started to "fail" (and it turns out that her powers always worked, but she figured out a way to get her freedom and be rid of the Court by playing the long-con).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I vote for D, absolutely nothing sinister happens, she loved a long and fruitful life working in the employment of the Court, and Coyote/Loup/Zimmyverse is the first time she can get out of the ether-barriered area without immediately being overwhelmed. It's so benign no one would see it coming!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, it's showing how Omega convinced the Court she was more than an everyday clairvoyant in a world full of them, any big twists or reveals won't come until later on.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There's something just... off with her face in the last panel. While I'm enjoying the chapter so far and hoping that the Zimmyverse parts were just Tom trying to figure out how to get to Robot/Omega's reveal, I'm worried we may run into more rough patches before the comic ends.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If she's an adult, cool, fine, two consenting adults are allowed to have a relationship.

If she's still under 18... WHAT THE gently caress, TOM? LITERALLY "NO, SHE CAME ONTO ME FIRST, OFFICER" VIBES GOING ON RIGHT NOW. Pull up, Gunnerkrigg, Pull up!

Seriously, what the gently caress, Tom? Can you introduce characters that DON'T want to immediately bang each other or die right away?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I really do want to give him the benefit of doubt here, because when he does closeups of her face, she does look older and tired. We don't know their actual ages, just that he's older than her, so she could be in her 20's or 30's and just aged gracefully other than the massive bags under her eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Where do you think Zimmy comes from if not these two kissing and loving (directly or indirectly)

At this point, Zimmy could be revealed to be Omega's great-great-grandmother dropped into modern times as a teenager due to Kat's loving with the timeline and I wouldn't bat an eye. The bar is so low now, I'm just hoping Omega is an adult at this point.