Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Tom knows exactly what his readers want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Your wish is my command.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Your wish is my command, I'm a regular genie today

Also because I thought it would be funny:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I finally noticed the Avatar Fairy has forcibly drafted me into the Gunnerkrigg Legions. I can deal Mort with this.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Mort is a bedsheet, they just edit the strings out in post.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Jones is also a bedsheet, the guys in the FX department are really good at what they do here.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Heliotrope posted:

AHahaha this is pretty much the robots in the Paranoia RPG.

Now I really, really want to include the boxing glove robot the next time I ever GM a game of Paranoia.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Haledjian posted:

Haha I don't know, Jones seems pretty svelte for the Venus of Willendorf.

Walking around aimlessly for millions of years does wonders for your figure.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I caught up with this strip relatively recently and didn't think it was that bad. I left off right around chapter 43 and didn't think a lot of the stuff after that was that bad. I didn't even think The Mind Cage was that bad. I saw the thread was ripping the comic apart and wanted to think it was regular goon cynicism.

This latest stuff with the star ocean, though, jesus this is horrible. What the hell happened

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Riot Bus posted:

It seems like a lot of us who were holding out through the Mind Cage were broken by the star ocean reveal.

I actually liked the Mind Cage, I was thinking "yeah, pretty classic case of alexithymia bud, you should get that checked out", but the star ocean poo poo is just nonsense. Totally incoherent and out of nowhere. Loup being the new protagonist of the comic is whatever but Tom has lost the thread of his own storyline

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

a strange fowl posted:

i haven't read this drat comic in years, what is it even about anymore?

You see, there's this boy named Loup...

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Jesus Christ let's not say things we can't take back

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

"Being totally blase about extremely complicated and terrifying technology" is kind of Kat's whole thing, isn't it?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Hardest thing in the world is writing a sympathetic abusive parent without making it seem like you're forgiving them for their abuse. Tony is unquestionably a bad guy but he's also clearly dealing with some kind of untreated and unacknowledged mental disorder.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

skaianDestiny posted:

Part of the issue is there doesn't seem to be any effort from literally any of the cast to address the mental issue part.

YaketySass posted:

Yes, but I think people would be a tiny bit more forgiving if that disorder was also portrayed a bit organically.

100% my issue with it too. I actually liked The Mind Cage because I thought it was going to be the start of a "humanization arc" with Tony, but all of his self-improvement had happened off screen (natch) and he's since been shoved out of the picture in favor of all the amazing new plot going on. Too much stuff going on to focus on character development!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

YaketySass posted:

what makes the most sense to me is that they're both putting on a brave face for Kat's sake, or somehow taking this as an opportunity to bond/make peace

but I have the feeling this is much dumber than that

This is my take on it. Paz is shutting down her feelings because she knows Kat isn't going to be talked out of this. Annie catching her crying seemed candid.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The Gunnerkrigg Court thread's generosity is now a cross to bear.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Possibly the best page in years.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

isasphere posted:

cut it out, and does anything change? Nope.

Title potential right here.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

If we don't get a page soon of Paz telling Annie while they're alone about how unhappy she is with Kat I don't know what the hell Tom is even trying to do

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

You forgot the sudo, Kat :rolleyes:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I, for one, would not trust a Microsoft product with my consciousness

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Well thank god they're cutting to the chase here

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The biggest plot point in the Uncle Tony's House of Spaghetti chapter would be Annie learning she has a cousin we don't meet and is never mentioned again.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Well it was pretty cool when Kat's neck blew up, that was nice

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Tom's handling of Tony has been disastrous from both the perspective of writing a sympathetic abusive father and a sympathetic neurodivergent person. I liked The Mind Cage when I read it because I could understand his own neuroses and self-imposed rule set can lead to him doing truly heinous poo poo, but it amounted to nothing. No redemption was earned or even tried for. As long as he has his Freudian Excuse things were fine. Sad and gross.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

So-called free thinkers when their beloved angel loses her consort

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

"Loup joins the good guys and the Court is the real final villain" is a twist I've been seeing coming for a while now, but it's happening in dumber ways than I could have expected.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

It has always been clear to me that Loup was Coyote's plan to become human like other forest creatures, was this not obvious

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Gunnerkrigg Court? That comic ended four years ago... on this very night! *THUNDERCLAP*

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I have an extremely bad feeling about this. Getting excited is the wrong thing to feel here. This will go very badly.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Tom managed to gently caress up a chapter that started with something as cool as Kat's neck exploding. I am still going to reserve my judgement until he proves he can pull anything off here.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Gnome de plume posted:

if you stare at this long enough the eyes start to drift apart

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Catching up on this comic was such a loving mistake

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_f5fkrCTA&t=14s

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

If Tom could fumble Kat's neck exploding that badly there is zero, absolutely zero, to have any hope for the future of this comic. I knew Coyote coming back was only going to lead to even worse things happening and look at where we are now.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

It hurts how close this whole section is coming to being interesting but falling utterly flat. I think if you went back in time to like 2012 and told the thread that the final section was going to be Coyote eating Zimmy and Annie being stuck in a Coyote-Zimmy mishmash nightmarescape the thread would've freaked out with excitement

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Holy poo poo an actual laugh today!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The way the kick is framed is super weird. Because you don't see the creature on the page except as a little dot it looks like she just kicked a random rock or something.

I actually thought the same thing at first. Having the groundhog in the first three panels would've made the joke work a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I don't know if the goon webcomic cynicism is hitting terminal status for me or something but every update just has me thinking "Oh now what the hell is going on?"