Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Jack's proportions seem a bit odd today. Like, if his chest is that far away from the top of his head, it seems like his feet should be a foot or two underground.

Well, that and he seems to have grown "older" in the sense of looking late-twenties, rather than older in the sense that Parley and Smitty are older. I guess it's just art-style growing pains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Thankfully, Mr. Siddell appears to have levelled up his skill at Drawing Male Characters Somewhat More Mature Than When We Saw Them Last and Smitty will be spared the horror of Jack's bizarre I-just-flew-in-from-a-comic-with-a-different-art-style-and-boy-is-my-chin-tired look.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think Jack's look was some kind of art error. He was just an awkward teenage boy going through puberty unevenly.

It was definitely intended to look awkward but it wasn't altogether the right kind of awkward. He didn't match the comic's art style very well, and then he had the terrible beard on top of that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

See also the set belonging to his wife.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Slime posted:

But...why? Having more females than males isn't going to change all that much.

Presumably because the Court is obsessive and weird.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, so, what exactly is this guy's plan here? Is he trying to make Annie lose her temper so that he'll have an excuse to do... something?

I mean, he's dedicated the first fifteen minutes of his class to openly tormenting her in front of everybody. Teaching is evidently not a priority here, so he's got to have some kind of scheme.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's difficult to think of any scenario where Anthony isn't deeply abusive, except the one where Antimony is allergic to parental love (and also patient consent) and must be kept away from them at all costs or explode.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's interesting that Donald's version of Anthony was "aggressively kept up a public facade of emotionlessness that he was unable to drop, except in private."

How does that compare to the present-day Anthony, who is "aggressively and publicly cruel, ??? in private"?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Annie's only going to die if she has a child. Her life expectancy is perfectly fine as long as she doesn't decide to marry some jerk for unknown reasons and then decide to stop using protection so she can die and leave her child to be (not) raised by Professor Satan.

So... learning math might be useful. Unless she becomes a professional spirit medium, in which case yes anything besides basic personal financial literacy is going to be purely for her own enjoyment (which apparently doesn't exist).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

M.c.P posted:

You'd think a 'hi I'm back in your life' would be warranted.

"Admitting he cares" is like his #1 weakness, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Annie kind of has a problem with authority. She knew Coyote was The Coyote and spanked him anyway. Renardine has been telling her for years that she shouldn't be cheating and has been doing it anyway. Annie knew the prohibition against unauthorized access to the forest and went anyway. She then proceeded to skip the detentions she got for doing so. The only authority figure she seems to respect other than her father is Ysengrin, who is a similarly cold, no-nonsense person. Jones gets an honorable mention, but since exercising authority isn't really her thing, and she actually isn't all the cold, it's kind of a moot point anyway.

Basically, she wouldn't have been good at following the court's orders as their medium, and the court new that. And to them that is definitely a liability.

I get the impression Antimony respects people who are straight with her, which is Coyote, Reynardine, Ysengrin, Jones, Anja, and Donald. Not so much Eglamore, Llewellyn, or the Court in general.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not even really sure what a school is supposed to do when it comes out that they've been ignoring a problem like this for an unconscionable length of time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I just wonder how long it's going to continue. What if Anthony doesn't care about what Donald/Anja/Jimmy Jims have to say, and has some kind of magical doohickey to imprison Reynard whether Antimony likes it or not, and Annie isn't emotionally ready to defy him? That could get really unpleasant.

Although I'm pretty sure that Antimony will cut loose when Anthony tries to take Reynard away, if she doesn't do it now. She's way more emotionally attached to him than she is to her father at this point. (I'm also pretty sure Anthony is going to try and go for that, because that's just the line he's been taking.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Anthony's emotions aren't just not on his sleeve; they're in a box, in an egg, in a duck, on an island, somewhere in Russia.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Reynard is a hot-blooded murderer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This makes me think of another interesting thing—the Court didn't just know that Annie was cheating; they knew that Kat was probably cheating, although they probably assumed that she was giving answers rather than taking them.

So, that's at least two students whose problems were ignored. They didn't even mention this to Kat's parents, who would certainly have had something to say about it and are teachers.

Actually, who is they? It's weird that we have such a clear idea of what "the Court" has for its agenda, when that agenda doesn't really connect to any teachers but the Headmaster. All the other teachers that I can remember are warm-hearted people who seem to take their students' well-being seriously.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't agree.

I'm really just amazed at all the people jumping to the conclusion that Anthony is pure evil, or autistic, or a sociopath, or whatever, just because he's being strict with Annie and Tom hasn't immediately revealed the reason for his actions.

A strict father keeps a close watch on his daughter and firmly regulates her activities. He makes sure that she does not go places without his knowledge, and keeps her away from dangerous people. He discourages friendships that he feels would be a bad influence. He ensures that her school assignments are completed in a timely and proper fashion. In short, a strict father provides direction whether his child wants it or not.

Anthony has completely shirked the duty of providing Antimony with any kind of direction at all, and is now blaming her for, essentially, not raising herself. What he is doing is adopting the appearance of strictness without doing any of the actual work.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm going to bet that there's even a good reason for Anthony's absence.

There is no possible reason for his behavior that can be good enough unless it is literally that she is allergic to parental affection.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Wittgen posted:

Thinking about emotional states, though, I wonder if Antimony likes Ysengrin because he reminds her of her parents. Surma didn't seem like one to back down from a fight, and pushing down/controlling emotions is Anthony in a nutshell. For that matter, maybe all of the adults Antimony likes can be seen as echoing her parents in one way or another. Coyote is a trickster, and Surma tricked Reynard but good. I don't think Jones and Anthony have many similarities on the inside, but they express themselves similarly. Does Antimony like any other adults? She doesn't get very close to Kat's parents, and she dislikes Eglamore, at the very least.

Antimony seems to like people who are open with her. She likes Coyote and Ysengrin, who are pretty up front about what they are. She likes Jones, who always says exactly what's on her mind. She's cool towards the Donlans, who have always been friendly but guarded towards her and never really say exactly what they're thinking, probably out of loyalty to Anthony. She outright dislikes Eglamore, who has always had his whole freaky transferred-romantic-feelings deal bubbling under the surface.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The most unpleasant thing I can think of is the contract visibly swapping over, since if that happens it's going to be hard for Annie to reverse it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Mort's gone, man.

Mort knew, man. Mort knew.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The idea that Kat's emergent robodivinity is an intentional project by the Court honestly makes a lot of sense.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Worthleast posted:

I can't imagine how much further this rabbit hole can go. I thought it was bad enough pages ago.

There's still plenty of room to explore Reynard's miserable life as Anthony's slave.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

The problem is that someone as frosty as Tony wouldn't have made a move like this unless he was absolutely sure he'd be protected against all forms of retaliation. The Court's obviously on his side, but he probably has further safeguards in place if any of Annie's friends try to help her.

Wonder what the guy's etheric form would look like.

Wouldn't he?

It's still entirely possible that Anthony Carver is a complete and total idiot.

I mean, the one thing we can predict based on what we know about him is that his icy facade is a cover for some Crazy Emotions, even if we don't know exactly what those emotions are. Just because he has an evil grip on Antimony doesn't mean he actually has a plan.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

To be fair, Jimmy Jims obviously thinks he should have been Annie's dad and that's why Annie thinks he's a creep.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

This chapter sure puts some of Eglamore and Renard's past actions in a better light.

Yeah, I've always thought Eglamore really needed to let "Surma chose Tony over me" go, but now that I've met Tony... it's going to be a little difficult.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I have to admit, if my significant other left me for Voldemort I'd probably still have a complex about it fifteen years later.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Patrick Spens posted:

He was fully in control of his faculties the first time he tried to kill her, and I honestly don't know how much of his reaction the second time was Coyote's mindfuckery and how much was his (by all accounts legitimate and long term) hatred of humans. I mean, I agree that Ysengrin is more likable than Anthony, because literally everyone is, but he (and any group of parental figures that includes him) is a really bad dad.

Coyote has been messing around in Ysengrin's brain for a long time. It's hard to say that anything Ysengrin does is not Coyote's fault.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dammerung posted:

Are you saying that Ysengrin's love for, and desire to impress, a being that seemingly does not care for him and manipulates his emotions is leading him to make choices that have devastating consequences for those he interacts with?

Love makes people act in strange ways.

As does erasing their memories of the strange things they've done in the past and the results thereof.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

I wonder if the Donlans or someone have legal grounds to claim Annie as a ward since Anthony essentially abandoned her for four years, that'd be a good step towards blocking his influence.

The trouble with this is that in order to move forward they'll have to be willing to completely abandon their friendship with Anthony, which is probably going to make it hard for them to see that it needs to be done.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Anthony is a bad father because he's a bad father. This is indisputable from his actions, which are textbook emotional abuse.

It doesn't really matter if he's doing it because he's dead inside or because he can't control all the EMOTIONS inside his stoic facade (it's the second one but w/e). The reason why he's a bad father is only relevant to him and his spiritual adviser. All that matters to Antimony is that he's an abuser who needs to be carted back to the out-of-her-life he just walked out of.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

[ ] - He was super hot when he was 19

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

T-man posted:

He's still hot.

A horrible father, though.

He's aged really badly compared to Eglamore, who is still smoking hot and is occasionally mistaken for his teenaged cousin.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, those parents were totally abusive.

People really need to understand that having motives for your actions other than "ho ho ho I am evil" doesn't make you not abusive.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Eh, "trying to resurrect dead wife" is probably in the top five solutions for what's going on in Anthony's head.

It's something like:

1) He loves his daughter and is doing strange things because he can't express emotions like a normal human.
2) He loves his daughter but also blames her for her mothers death and is doing strange things because of that and also #1.
3) He is too staid and sensible to really have any kind of grip on all the magic whatsits going on in his daughter's life and is separating her from them without really getting why they're important to her.
4) He hates his daughter for causing her mother's death and is doing strange things to torment her.
5) He wants to resurrect his dead wife using bad science and this is all part of that scheme.
6) He's going to bugger off immediately once he's got his hands on his own personal wolf demon.
7) Coyote in disguise.
8) Jones in disguise.
9) Red in disguise.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if Surma broke up with Jimmy Jims over Jones. Maybe a it's her or me situation, and Eglamore refused to commit which was enough for her, and then she starts dating Tony, and Eglamore is all 'the gently caress did I do?'

If that was the case, I don't think the scene with Jones comforting Eglamore while he's all "why the hell did she pick him and not me" would have happened, because that implies that there was never a moment where Eglamore could have opted into that relationship.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

JT Jag posted:

He's a bonehead who doesn't realize that he's at fault too, is what that would mean.

He probably is at fault but I doubt the decision point was that obvious, since he obviously doesn't know where he went wrong, if in fact it was something he could have affected at all.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Wittgen posted:

Antimony seems to really dislike Eglamore from the very beginning.

Antimony dislikes Eglamore because he's got transferred feelings for her from the woman he was hot for, and it's kind of creepy and even a 14-year-old can tell.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ultimately bone-spear mind control would be a metaphor for the nonmagical undue influence Anthony already has over his daughter, so it's going to be a little hard to tell "my mind is full of bone spears from my father's evil mind spells" apart from "my mind is full of bone spears because that's how the artist is representing the pain caused by his creepy controlling influence" until it's all over.

(there's probably no bony brainwashing happening, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think it's less about it being bad art and more about something I used to enjoy becoming a thrice-weekly torture, to the point where I'm mildly uncomfortable going to sleep the night before because I might wind up seeing something really unpleasant in the morning.

Like, this is an extremely skillful piece of craft, but for over a month now Gunnerkrigg has been actively painful to read or think about.