Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I don't know where I got the idea, but I was under the impression that Zimmy doesn't grow? It sounds wild now that I write it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
that last one's got serious osamu sato face

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
idra is quickly becoming one of my favorites

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
you really don't need to have a crush on someone to be terminally embarrassed that you just walked in on an adult/authority figure in your life post-boning

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Lurdiak posted:

That last panel doesn't read as embarrassment to me, is all.

Fair! To me it reads as 'wishing for death' level mortification but now that you point it out i can see how it is interpretable in other ways

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
That seems like a real 'gals being pals' read to me. She's explicitly mirroring the pose of the elf boy that everyone accepts Annie does/did crush one, she's naked, and reaching out for an embrace. The mask seems like a reaction to Zimmy catching her in an emotionally vulnerable position.

As a gay girl I may be biased but it would never have even occured to me not to read that scene as Annie having a crush on Jones and Kamlen both.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Oh sure. Both those things can be true! Also sorry to RRR, my original comment came off pretty dismissive of his read, it's not less valid than my own.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah, Annie's not really as self-absorbed as people act like she is, she cares a lot about Kat too. Her actions are sometime self centered, but that's every teenager who keeps having their life blown up with drama (and the cast of GC is dealing with way, way more than normal teen drama lol).

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
As a small woman who has been touched uncomfortably by strangers and frequently has to worry about my own safety, I am not getting any of what yall are off this. Not the sexual menace, not the 'stripping' (unless collarbones are now equivalent to flashing cleavage), not 'hypersexual'. It's like I'm reading an entirely different comic. It looks like teens that are strangers to each other being awkward and uncomfortable around each other and navigating that in varyingly inappropriate ways. The forest folk have always been touchy and nosy, it sucks but it's hardly a rape in progress.

I'm not saying anyone is *wrong* to be uncomfortable or have a different read, it's just such a wildly different read that it's blowing my mind a little bit. And I only added the first sentence of this post to sat its not that I've been sheltered from those experiences in my life that is the reason. It's also valid to be uncomfortable of course.

The bit about speculating on Tom manually approving comments seems like something that would be worthwhile to confirm?

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 17, 2022

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Just... What I had thought the last few strips were gonna be from catching up on the thread versus what they actually were really suprised me.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
That's fair, and makes sense. I can't say why it doesn't hit me that way despite having experienced being in similar postions but I don't want to belittle anyone else's reaction. And I think it clearly is meant to be to be awkward and not comfortable, so I'm not judging people for not being comfortable.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Her hair and her sleeve have been pinched.

"but that indicates a freshly decanted robot level of naivety" ok I'm remember why I felt the need to disclose I am a woman who has often felt physically unsafe and been subject to unwanted touching by men. I know this comment was about Tom, but just because someone isn't getting the same vibe from the scene, doesn't mean they're naive or haven't experienced sexual harassment or feeling unsafe. It's starting to feel like there's this weird undertone of 'if you don't have a problem with this scene you're stupid, or not a woman', so i'm out.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Well, I appreciate the clarification, thanks.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
oof, this sucks

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 18, 2022

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Splicer posted:

Friday morning I still had this little voice telling me that OK but for real the next page was actually going to be fine.

It wasn't fine.

Yeah I felt real stupid about my earlier comments about not seeing it. :|

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Rohan Kishibe posted:

On a similar line, I went back to chapter 73 to check if I hadn't noticed before and it seems to be a relatively new thing but the size of Annie's ears in this chapter is all over the place. In this page and page 19 they are tiny and way too high up, then you compare it to, say, page 21 and they are more normal. I know its minor but it's driving me mental looking at it.

Well I would expect a professional manga artist to notice such things

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The court being hypocritical as hell about using the ether while making GBS threads on it has been a consistent theme at least. Going at least as far back as Anja's computer.

I'm hoping these last few days are a good sign.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

catapede posted:

Lol and lmao. I expected her to be drawn with wavy hair or sunbeams or something though.

Yeah like, I get that he's supposed to be treated like a new being and Jerrek is goosing himself, but I'd rather the comic just not do this. This crush poo poo sucks and gives me the creeps.

and please god no

It's be easier to give it a pass if it was adding anything cool or interesting to the story but there's no substance to these annie/loup interactions, nothing to make me want to read more about them in spite of it feeling kinda creepy. I'm not opposed to fiction showing weird or problematic relationships! It just has to feel like you have a reason to be reading it.

It's so hard to believe this was written by the same person who wrote 'sky watcher and the angel'

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Also in the past (pre-split) when we would see annie's stoicism it typically felt purposeful. it felt like it was going somewhere, showing her looking up to Jones, and admit she sees emotional repression on the scale of Ysengrin as something almost admirable. The imagery of her holding a mask in her own mind underscored that she is deliberately cultivating that affect and detachment.

Now it just feels like... nothing? It's not like it feels like the author showing that this is a character who doesn't react and strives to be very in control, it feels like the author just... not writing any reaction.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The frustrating thing (well, one of them) is that if the fusing of the split Annie's was supposed to resolve the character arc of her struggle between repression and powerful emotions, it... Didn't? It didn't build on it thematically, it had nothing real to say about who she is now that she's resolved that, it's didn't show her changing or growing as a person and in general felt entirely disconnected from her previous emotional struggles and character work. It had more to say about Tony than about her!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
We also used to be shown a more internal perspective. For most of it's span, gunnerkrigg was pretty good at communicating what annie's perspective, thoughts, and feelings were. She was stoic and nonreactive to other characters, and the audience was privy to her inner life. So we had a pretty good idea how she was reacting to something because we were in her head. I agree her behavior here is consistent (mostly) with her reactions across the comic to these situations, but people are also right to feel like something is missing, it's that internality.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I miss Ysengrin, who was a compelling character that related to Annie in an interesting way. It boggles my mind that the comic that produced their complicated friendship is like this now.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The biggest problem with Current Gunnerkrigg is it feels so disconnected from and tonally distinct from Past gunnerkrigg. I would hardly mind a new project being told that's goofy supernatural romcom hijinks and aside from a few moments that were unquestionably terrible, it's not incompetent. But it feels entirely unrelated to all the characters and storylines I was actually invested in, and tonally like a completely different work. And that sucks.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

A big flaming stink posted:

Tbh gunnerkrigg has always taken a profoundly sedate approach to the progression of its plot and has been utterly allergic to behaving with a sense of urgency, but the difference was back then the meandering was well done and interesting in its own right

It's just now the subject matter is something readers have zero investment in

Yeah to me the pacing itself isn't a huge change or a big problem, it's the tonal shift and change of content- as well as the shift away from the characters and storylines who I was actually invested in.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It's like reading a different comic. God this used to be so well executed.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Man if the writing of Kat and Annie and relationships between characters in general was where it was three years ago I'd find this moment really great. :(

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It really kills me how this is no longer anything like the comic I fell in love with.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Skippy McPants posted:

Weird aside; it's strange to me how often female authors will have their characters choose the safe and often boring beau. I don't want to knock anyone's preferences, but why settle in a fantasy?

Take a page from Jane Austen and make all your good boys be brooding beauties with tortured souls.

Oh, they'll get poo poo if they go for the non-sensible romance options, for being stupid women who don't understand they are writing abusive or dangerous relationships and are setting a bad example for girls. There's no 'right' way to have romance fantasies for female authors. But some women really do dream of the safe and boring life because it's well... Safe. And comfortable. And supportive. That's it's own kind of fantasy.

Basically women are people and experience all the diversity of desire that people do, and no matter what they do they will be scrutinized and told their desire is wrong. (Anthony from FOOB sucks though).

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I always interpreted it as her trying to get some insight into her mom. She knew at that point Surma faked affection for Renard to get him to come to the court amd be trapped. I feel like that's a big thing to process about one of your parents. I don't even know if there is a clear thought process there, just seeing how it feels to do something emotionally confusing your mom did, plus already kind of not liking the guy.

I'm a woman who has definitely been on the wrong end of 'you owe men attention and reciprocation', and I still see that the comic was intentionally showing Annie pretending to flirt with Jack- or maybe trying on flirting with him to see if it worked for her, or maybe both and not being clear about what she wanted. When you're a teen you have complicated and often ambigous reasons for your emotions and actions. I don't really think anything is wrong with that plot point, even in retrospect. I liked that it was an emotionally complex situation.

Also correctly observing that the story was potraying Annie doing that isn't the same as saying she owed Jack anything or that he never did anything wrong, wth.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I honestly can't think of anything, no. It just seemed odd to conflate saying Annie did deceive him in that scene with saying Jack did nothing wrong. Those are two different thoughts!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

christmas boots posted:

"fridging" is a tem for when you kill or injure a female character to motivate or cause character development for a male character (usually. You can switch up the genders of either party but it's usually this way) the term originated from a specific comic book incident: in a Green Lantern comic published in 1994, the character Alexandra DeWitt was killed and her body was found in a refrigerator, serving as a catalyst for the emotional journey of the main character, Kyle Rayner.

You really can't reverse the genders on this because the term is not seperable from the dynamics of how female characters were and are treated as lesser and disposable in comics, as well as the phenomena of violence against women being used for shock value in stories about male characters. It's not a generic term for one character being killed off to motivate another. It does have use discussing other marginalized classes or minorities experiencing the same dynamic.

Personally, I also find it a bit iffy in cases of discussing a side character being killed off who is not the only major representation of the marginalized group in the narrative, because another important aspect of it is that women don't get to be main characters in the story, don't get to be the people who do things or the people whose PoVs are considered important, and if it's for instance, a story in an all girl's school with female leads and a secondary female dies and the story explores how that affects them, nearly all the dynamics that make 'fridging' so frustrating are absent. But if she was also the only queer character or PoC in the cast, it could be considered fridging.

TL;DR fridging exists to describe a kind of pervasive authorial sexism in terms of whose stories are important and who is considered disposable, and not purely a character dying and the story looking at how that affects another character. It also applies to other groups who are used as disposable and denied opportunities to have stories be about them, but all other things being equal, if a (dominant group) character dies and that motivates a (disadvantaged group) character it is missing the point of the 'fridging' criticism to call it fridging.

All that said, Lana is for sure safe to describe as a fridging based on what we've seen, albeit one that would not be nearly so grating if it also didn't happen after a long trend of the comic ignoring Annie's viewpoint and agency in favor of making the comic about Tony's pain and Loup's... Whole deal. It's become a lot more male dominated over the past few years.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

if this is the first time she's bothered to try to look at them in the ether i have serious questions about how that all works that will never get answered, i always figured it was a sixth sense thing at this point but i guess not?

like a video game character that gets the in-game "highlight plot important objects"-o-vision and the player just sort of forgets to use it

We've seen in the comic several times that going into ether mode to look at things is something she has to deliberately do, not like a passive sense that's always on. Probably because it's a learned skill for her, for Coyote and Renard and such it seems to be more just how they experience the world.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It feels like, since they were originally robots, realizing that the new people having etheric presences at all should have been a big thing to establish. It's something that feels like it should be pivotal to the themes of the comic!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah, I'm expecting this to lead to her apotheosis in one way or another, whether it's now or through the process of the numan being absorbed into the Ether - we've talked about how the Ether is the fabric of reality and can retroactively change things, and the robots believe strongly that Kat is a goddess with their entire being, so the more people get led into the Ether, the more likely reality itself is to warp to accommodate that fact. One guy doing it shouldn't change it though, because then you could ascend to godhood just by conditioning a single person to think you're God incarnate then kill them.

That person would also have to be the first of a new kind of living creature going by the rules here, which tbf is pretty god-ish and seems fair. If the deceased was just some random human raised to worship Kat, by the arbiter's words, he wouldn't have bothered and would have just let Annie handle it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I think the comic has been implying that Lana isn't dead, yes. But I've given it too much credit before. Who knows.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I would have been super excited for this resolution in the alternate universe where we didn't get tony>loup as plot tumors while all the passion simultaneously drained out of the writing. It's been a handful of neat pages (except for the inserted reacting heads) that I just know are going to be deflated by whatever he follows this up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It all keeps boiling down to the fact that Tom is now writing this comic as if he's lost all interest in it and just needs to get it out of the way.