Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

they even had them ask in-universe "which one of you is gonna go and which one is gonna stay" and had them look unsettled by that, just to turn around and go "lmao just kidding zimmytime, good thing that will never be an issue ever"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I figure it's either something to do with Kat's godhood having consequences or Zimmy's distortion having consequences. I am interested in the subject matter though I know I will be let down again, but am reserving judgment until I see it :goleft:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

God, Sinfest.

For as much as I hate what Gunnerkrigg has become I definitely prefer this mediocre garbage a thousand times to straight up alt-right propaganda about THE TRANS AGENDA or whatever

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Joe Slowboat posted:

Oh 100% I just think he doesn't actually identify as homophobic despite being wildly so, the cognitive dissonance has to be really deep there.

A lot of people on various sides of the political aisle identify as not homophobic, and in fact wildly enthusiastic and supportive of the gays, as long as you're not one of Those Types. The type that does literally anything except stand near each other with smiles and turtleneck sweaters while conventionally attractive (but not in a way that's too threatening to cishetero men) and white. MAYBE hold hands in public and MAYBE share a single chaste kiss for special occasions, just not in front of the children. Separate beds, too. Anything else (e.g. living your life in a way that isn't obsessively cloaking every shred of evidence that you exist or, god forbid, CELEBRATING it) is just being a god-hating sodomite spreading the seeds of liberal corruption.

Kind of like my family's old church being fine with The Gays as long as they didn't consummate their relationship because that's sinful under God, don'cha know! They could love each other, because it's not like you can change who you love, #bornthisway, just be deeply ashamed of your God-given flaw and definitely, definitely don't gently caress.

Yes we eat shellfish why do you ask.

You'll see something similar with how a lot of TERFs and adjacent claim to be okay with Real Transsexuals, which in their opinion are extremely few in number and must do a shitton of medical gymnastics, and they still need to ultimately consider themselves Biologically Fe/Male and not associate with Real Fe/males and immediately disclose their genital situation to everyone they meet in order to not be a deceitful predator. One of the good ones etc.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I can't wait for Shadow to say "I broke up with Robot for no reason. I'm leaving the comic permanently. Just needed to make sure you knew that before I left. Bye"

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

God I’m still mad over the Paz breakup. Not saying it couldn’t be done with better buildup, but it was done so fast that it was clear it’s because he no longer needed/wanted her in the comic.

And even that might have been okay if the comic actually ended or was clearly at the climax and isn’t still limping along aimlessly a whole…god, 10 months later

Remember how so much of Paz's described reasons for breaking up with Kat were "she's going where I cannot follow, she's gonna become a hosed up machine god and it sucks and I can't watch"

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2765

It really makes the Renard: "kat you are literally mid-apotheosis" Kat: "haha geez guys :kimchi:" poo poo with 0 consequences feel even stupider and more inappropriate. Here's hoping this chapter turns out to be related to Consequences(tm) somehow

e: I started reading a few pages from the linked comics above and ran into this again and god I loving hate Annie blaming everything on herself and I hate how it doesn't even seem to be some kind of intentional character flaw where she unnecessarily blames herself for things, the comic just lets her do that and in fact encourages it. Yeah Kat tries to tell her it isn't her fault but she incorrectly states Ysengrin's behavior had nothing to do with Jeanne, when Coyote deliberately instigated it as soon as the Annan Waters were traversible.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 14, 2024

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I love that last panel unironically. Very good

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Okay I'm convinced with that stupid :T mouth, it's Lana. She's probably afraid Annie's going to pull her into the ether too.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Randalor posted:

Next page will have Robot casually walk up behind them with his golden locks and ask what they're looking at.

I was going to make a joke and refer to Robot as a her there, but looking back at his design in She Gave Us An Ocean, other than the pouty lips, his face and body are rather androgynous, so I'll give Tom the benefit of doubt for now.

That being said, what are the chances he takes on the moniker Luis Ferre (or some variation thereof)?

Lucy Farr

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

i love how the comic continually shoots itself in the foot by saying "remember that time the comic was good? remember the really good thing that meant something to you at the time, that you once remembered fondly, and used as an example of how good this comic could be? just wanted to remind you that goodwill was completely undeserved"

it also almost stinks of an insecurity in his readers to remember things or consult the archives, like the reaction to the mind cage permanently marred his faith in the readers. i feel like a lot of the flashback cutaways and the dumbed down repetitive writing speak to that insecurity

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

DontMockMySmock posted:

i feel kinda irrationally mad that this lovely fuckin chapter is referencing the best chapter in the comic's history (The Sky Watcher and the Angel). it feels. . . unearned? which i acknowledge makes zero loving sense cause it's still the same comic being written by the same author. it just feels so detached.

if mystery lady turns out to be the Sky Watcher, i'm going to fuckin flip my poo poo

No, I know what you mean. It feels kind of like when a lovely spinoff/reboot/whatever tries to reference beloved fan favorite moments or characters. Like, how dare you try to cash in the nostalgia/good faith earned by an excellent piece of media when this is what you've turned the whole thing into.

It's very surreal to have it happen within the same body of work with the exact same creator (as far as we know - I would be 0% surprised to find out he's had a ghostwriter or something), but I guess you could argue that the only reason we consider Gunnerkrigg to be a single body of work is that the internet allows it to be continually published as such, where any other medium would force it to be broken up into volumes.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Annointed posted:

Like with Kat kill la killing herself why is the story not properly framing "Kat is tormenting her partner with self harm and doesn't even realize it." And on top of this and everything else, we are having another callback to a better arc of the comic, while there is an entire reality warping kaiju battle going on.

We got so close to some examination of it and then Paz just says "it's fine though because I know you'll keep her in line so none of my concern matters"

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

"despite all my rage, this is still not as bad as mind cage" was another goodie

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

lmao

Also I did this. Wasn't sure which one I liked better so I made two

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

i think it's really cool how the comic has evolved into "the author is now either so insecure or so utterly not giving a poo poo about how to resolve the plot points he's set up that the main character simply gets to read the parts of the comic from back during where he did give more of a poo poo and exhibit basic competence in writing"

edit: like seriously this is so bafflingly lazy. it's like the equivalent of a character just standing there telling you their life story in a video game. it's so blatantly "annie needs to know this for the plot to move forward" but the author couldn't think of a good way to have her learn this organically and time is running out and the plot needs to move forward. so now she just gets to, through the power of ~distortion~, instantly learn everything the audience knows through loving watching the comic on fast forward. but we also spent agonizing amounts of time poring over the minutiae of lana and loup's relationship! a million dragging, agonizing pages of 'haha did you know loup is young and in teen love'! dragging, agonizing pages of 'we're in zimmy's distortion. did you know? we're in zimmy's distortion, and that girl isn't normal, she might be zimmy'!

like the pacing is so absolutely unhinged, it drags drags drags then it panics and hurries to get something over with as soon as possible, poo poo like 'yeah robot apparently told our two protagonists everything about loup COMPLETELY OFFSCREEN' or this mess etc etc

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 23, 2024

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Joe Slowboat posted:

It would also have been cool, if the numans are a big deal, to have one of them be the one to tell Kat and Annie what was happening. Make it clear that this is a cult and that Robot is doing cult leader poo poo - including emotionally manipulating members to maintain loyalty! That gives us an immediate hook to a numan, as a character, the one who actually left the cult. Maybe they’re the one numan who doesn’t like Kat, because they think Robot represents her real beliefs, and so boom: plot happens. A numan who makes trouble and is unfriendly towards K&A, prompting investigation or even serious conflict, ultimately to reveal that it’s because of Robot. An actual mystery plotline around this massive mystery, with the readers having the dramatic irony perspective of knowing who the villain is even as the main characters stumble through it.

It's not like we had a whole segment with a random faceless numan dying who we could've benefited from an emotional connection to, or them having literally any conflict about the prospect of being brought into the ether

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

CodfishCartographer posted:

Just remembered Tony explained the Omega device to Annie entirely off-screen. Just casually solving one of the biggest mysteries in the comic from the character who infamously is unable to speak to Annie.

Well, yeah, because it needed to be told to the most important character in the comic, Loup.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

LMAO *THAT'S* YOUR loving POINT OF ENTRY? THAT'S THE ONLY TIME YOU THOUGHT TO SPEAK UP AND SAY SOMETHING THAT ISN'T "OH, ROBOT"? "um sorry to intrude on the fantasy of your own death but you'd actually be the second dead guy"

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I guess the distinction is that this is the New People proper. So, robots specifically given a new body, not whatever that little winglet was.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Rat Patrol posted:

Why is her response so unfeeling? Her friend who she literally brought to life from storage just spilled his guts about wanting to die and her reply isn't, oh my god robot don't talk like that, kat would never harm you, we are friends, we can help you, something is wrong but we can figure this out!

No it's, um ACTUALLY you aren't the first dead robot loser, some nobody beat you there.

Like hey Annie? Is this the perfect moment for a fact check?? Like maybe that's information that can wait till later huh???? Like maybe his factual correctness isn't the most important thing to address in this exact moment?

Edit: like there is an uncaring rear end in a top hat nobody with no emotional connection to robot RIGHT THERE if someone needed to be a loving pedant. If robot HAS to learn about Sam this exact moment, why not the notzimmybot? She's making a stupid uninterested face and everything, she could just butt in and give Annie the opportunity to pretend she has an ounce of tact or empathy and, I dunno, be like, "hey stranger that's not really here or there right this second could you shut up"
This post is such a good point as to how the comic has completely lost all heart or interest in its characters for the most part. It's not even asking the most basic questions of how characters would realistically act. They act ways and say things because the plot needs them to at that moment to move forward, not because it would make sense, even though thinking about it for two seconds would lead to your obvious conclusion of "why not use the observer with no apparent emotional investment to give an insensitive correction as their only feedback on this elaborate ultimate shame martyr fantasy, instead of the person he once literally called Mommy, who is supposed to be his friend and also the emotional center of this story and audience surrogate"

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

A bold pro-transhumanism moral: robots are way cooler than and superior to humans and you can tell by how miserably boring these robots are now that they're human.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Randalor posted:

You know, I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned this, but what would the cult/Robot do if there were dissident robots that DIDN'T want to become human? Robot's whole plan revolved around "humanizing" ALL the robots, so would they forcibly disassemble any dissidents and harvest the chips? Robot himself started thinking about how bad it was to be human and fragile before he saw Shadow and his horny circuit kicked in, what's stopping other robots from having the same train of thought?

Man, now I want to see a holy schism in the Cult of Kat.

There's so, so many cool ways it could go!!! So many possibilities you just leave completely explored because who cares, how about an unflinching army of sycophants, robots are the same as people and have agency except for when they're painfully, unrealistically single minded on a subject!!!

Like there's this big parallel to Lucifer and Robot being this big Judas and you never thought to have anyone be a dissident? There's so many people who don't believe in the Christian God/Jesus, including in the stories about him!

Also man yeah that robot is just Lana isn't it. That's the dumb loving twist they're setting up, you thought it was zimmy but oooooo. Late to the train but it suddenly became crystal clear to me while I lay here sleep deprived.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Cavatica posted:

Aren't they in a way forcibly disassembling the robots already? None of the current Numans were able to give their consent on whether they wanted a new body. Kat just rounded up all the chips and decided for them because of their weird override code. And in the She Gave Us an Ocean chapter, there wasn't really any choice given, just "yo, you've been in a coma for a hot minute, so now we're giving you a new body and more brain probs. Pick something super default, k?"

Literally a single "can I have my old body back, I liked it". You can't tell me no one was attached to their old body even a little? Not even the Robot King who drew on his funny little faces?

e:

mycatscrimes posted:

It all keeps boiling down to the fact that Tom is now writing this comic as if he's lost all interest in it and just needs to get it out of the way.

I start to think that, but then he goes on these weird insane tangents like Lana and Loup that drag on way too long, or a bunch of pages of Annie recapping things, e.g. the "just a reminder we're in the zimmy verse, poo poo is weird, I'm gonna say it again, this sure is the zimmy verse, and that girl looks like zimmy". The comic is slamming the gas with one foot and the brakes with the other.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 4, 2024

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

her face is so amorphous lmao like please explain to me why it looks like it's drawn at 3 different angles

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Prediction: Not-Lanazimmy is going to step forward in the next page and be like "no let me do it" and reveal Robot's true form because why not have a nameless idiot with no meaningful emotional attachment do it

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

ok I do like how robot is still trapped in the shell of his CPU chip but it's grown in the zimmyverse much like how we saw the little CPU chip bugs a couple chapters ago :kimchi:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Oxxidation posted:

I can’t remember when I’ve last seen a story so disinterested in itself

I feel like if we hadn't just changed the title this would go hard.

I hate that UBI doesn't exist because I feel like there's definitely a reality where he didn't have to worry about Patreon support dropping off while trying to support a new child and he would've either taken a significant hiatus or simply dropped it entirely and both of those would've been more dignified deaths than this rolling in the mud poo poo.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

We'll solve your problems the way we solve all our most challenging problems, Robot: off-screen.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Weird theory: what if this woman is Omega?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Tony

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Okay, here's my current theory slash understanding of the situation.

Omega, as we understand it, was a machine built by the court to simulate and know everything. Treated as an ultimate tool to help the Court become gods by manipulating and predicting reality, even etheric parts of it, down to the smallest detail. We see Loup (ugh) and Annie discuss that here.

The Omega Device started to become progressively more inaccurate over time, though the court still relies on it to make decisions to some degree, apparently. This leads to things like Shell saying "Omega said stealing Coyote's power would work but it didn't". We know that the court considers Annie to be the cause of the inaccuracies (and is most likely correct), as Aata stated here. She was supposed to die, but due to Kat's extratemporal meddling, she did not.

It's possible that the Court wants to take Omega with them to the Star Ocean because in the discussion between Loup and Annie, Annie states something along the lines of "what if you could start from scratch in a place where you knew the origin of everything". However, this is before Annie learned the Star Ocean exists, so it's uncertain.

So, imagine you are a machine that was built to be an omnipotent predictive device. You probably have some degree of sentience and feelings about that since all robots in the Court seem to. You become progressively more worthless as your predictions start to fail more and more. It's uncertain whether your creators are even going to take you with them. Then you are thrust into the Ether, where suddenly you can take whatever form you want and see other robots taking bodies and experiencing things you've never had the opportunity to. You'd be excited and happy, looking around in wonder, enjoying the novelty of having a body and being free to live as you like, rather than according to an assigned purpose, and seeing other creations like you doing the same!

And constantly being the one to speak up, to the point that it draws notice. But in the Ether, you still look like a robot, because... you are.

You might also have some kind of enmity towards the people who you perceive as responsible for your creators turning on you and literally rendering your designated life's purpose increasingly worthless. Like the girl who is supposed to be dead in the reality you predicted, and the shadow and robot that were connected to that moment.

Honestly p cute if true and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

isasphere posted:

I'm going to go with the possibly controversial take that Omega should have had Lana's place narratively. Make them the same character.

That way you could have compared and contrasted Loup, who was pretending to be a numan for manipulative reasons, with Omega, who desperately wanted to experience life. (And tying better with the whole robots into new people theme. Add in more aspects of loving being alive, not just romantic love and Robot's religious masochism.)

Yeah, this would've made Lana's death actually have impact and stakes, too. How tragic that a machine built to be an oracle finally escaped its confines somewhat, fell in love, started to experience life to its fullest, and then was immediately killed by hosed up circumstances that, had its predictions come true, never would've existed in the first place.

We've seen Kat talk about using the Omega device as well, so you could say something about Omega secretly talking to Kat and asking for a body of her own, and Kat keeping it secret from everyone so Omega doesn't get found out by the Court.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Oh, Mega...

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

A super-powerful etheric with hyperaccurate prediction powers being manipulated by a system for its own needs?

M-Minority Report...

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Guys what are you talking about it's just a man and a woman of similar age in a room it's quite a stretch to assume it would immediately break into heterosexual romahahahahahahahahhaahahaha

wild guess zimmy is their child or great great grandchild or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah so far this has been well drawn, written, and intriguing. It's dampened by the knowledge of everything before it - that is to say, it's a bit "okay, when is the shoe of something horribly disappointing and tedious going to drop" - but it's definitely giving vibes of something he's had in mind and polished for a long time.

My current theory is that Omega is a woman who, due to some unknown anomaly, is constantly beset with visions of the future but they are debilitating and/or constant to the point of being barely able to move, projecting her consciousness into other things via the ether in order to speak. Something you might call a prophet. Something not too far from Zimmy without a Gamma, in that she's constantly haunted and hosed up with no reprieve.

They take her to the Court, alleviate this pressure through experiments, which is why she's seen here able to speak and move and open her eyes a bit. The court, of course, figures out how to harness her powers for predictions. At some point she gives birth to a child named Zeta (Zimmy) with different powers.

The court also perhaps keeps her trapped in its walls forcing her to make predictions for them and increasingly refines this process. Or maybe it's voluntary? Who knows but she sure seemed happy to be bouncing around and free. One way or another she is the "omega device".

It's notable that this seems to be happening centuries ago, but Zimmy has been shown to not really be aging next to Gamma. So, maybe Omega is still alive from this time period as a result of her anomalous properties. Or maybe they GlaDOS'd her or otherwise extended her life artificially.

It would just be extremely funny and on brand for the court to have a sophisticated Device capable of hyper specific predictions and everyone assumes it's this all powerful machine they're using to transcend humanity but it's actually just a loving old fortune teller lady