Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

No the whole Jeanne thing was supposed to be over a hundred years ago I always felt.

e: also I think the OP should have a link to the Gunnerkrigg Court Wiki, which is pretty good.

The OP should also link to Tom's Formspring page. It's basically his question box and he says he responds to every question (except questions about Reynard's body swapping powers, because people always seem to get obsessed with the "rules" about how it works whenever it's brought up). He's answered more than 6300 questions to date and has revealed a lot of interesting background info, most of which is summarized in the "Word of Tom" series of pages on the Wiki. Right now there're a few answers on the "first" page of questions that are highly relevant to the current storyline:

Tea-san on Formspring posted:

>Did Jeanne agreeing to meet up with Greenguy take place after where she talked to Diego about going into the ravine in Ch.25?

yes

Tea-san on Formspring posted:

>Did Jeanne have any reason to suspect that anyone but Diego might have something against her lover or their relationship?

She knew of only one person who could make a shot like that with a bow and arrow, and who it would take to arrange the whole thing.

If you want to ask Tom a question on Formspring be careful in how you word it. He has a tendency to make his answers ambiguous if you give him the room to do so (e.g. answering simply "yes" or "no" to queries with multiple questions). The best strategy seems to be only asking one thing at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Brannock posted:

For someone who's so good about answering questions he sure doesn't sound like he enjoys it.

He's actually gotten a lot more enthusiastic about it since he started. For a while, mostly before he went to SDCC, the tone of his answers was really discouraged and depressive. Once someone asked him something along the lines of where he would be today without GC and he responded that he would probably be dead. :smith:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Sulevis posted:

That's bullshit. Most artists are genuinely stupidly insecure about their work.

On the other hand, it's quite possible Tom isn't entirely serious when he says things you guys interpret as proof of his deep, incurable depression. Or maybe he's just a pessimist! Pessimists can be happy, too! They just tend to downplay possibilities of future happiness.

I dunno, I wouldn't say he has a "deep, incurable depression," but at the same time I'd say his attitude goes (or at least went) beyond mere pessimism. I think the biggest evidence of this is his attitude towards merch. For a long time he didn't really have much merch. When I started reading (around chapter 14 I think) it was just the first 7 chapters self-published and commissioned custom drawings. Then he stopped doing the custom drawing because he didn't have the time and the self-published book sold out. Fortunately for us a real publisher became interested in his comic (I don't know if he approached them or they approached him) and we got the first volume. Then after he got back from SDCC he started selling those shirts and posters, and now he has a Reynard plush in the works. These are all things that fans had been asking him to do for literally years.

His attitude really picked up first for a short while after he went to the Comix Thing in London and now seemingly permanently after he's come back from SDCC. Someone asked him about his change in attitude/perspective after SDCC and he said that he met a bunch of neat people. My guess is that he was able to see it's not just a few internet sycophants who appreciate his comic, but lots of real people and even other webcomic artists. I think he also realized that a webcomic doesn't have to be a huge money hole, and you can make some real money by selling merch people want. It's possible he may have been exaggerating his persona a bit in his written online communications, but you can't argue that he's really stepped up with the merch recently and that that shift has coincided with a shift in his online persona away from extreme pessimism (to merely standard pessimism).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Hang on Sloopy posted:

Also, has Tom ever put out a guide or tutorial showing his digital painting technique?

I don't think so. A few people have asked him about it on Formspring, though I can't remember any of the details off the top of my head. He sometimes does a UStream while he draws, but those are pretty rare because he obviously can't do them for future pages and he doesn't have much time to do other drawing.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Well, that didn't take long:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Forgive me if this has been posted before, but it looks like Tom's posted the cover for volume 3:

You know, I never really realized how big Ysengrin is before.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

This great news seems like as good an excuse as any to get rid of my Stupid Newbie avatar. Thanks idontlikepeas for the av (and thanks Tom for the great comic).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Tom has started answering questions in his Formspring again, and he actually has a few answers for what the heck is going on with the current page (spoilered in case you don't want to know):

quote:

> so would that be ketrak then? looks rather insect-like
No, that is what Kat looks like to Zimmy

> Did Zimmy always see Kat like this, for example in the earlier chapters, or is it a more resent thing?
Yup, she's always had a problem with Kat.

> Does Annie see Kat the same way in the ether or in the new page specific to Zimmy-vision?
No, Kat just looks like Kat to Annie.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah no way, what'll happen when/if Kat discovers that Annie cheats off of her is that Kat will just be so sad and disappointed.

"You... you don't like double physics? How can you not like... double physics..." :smith:

I don't know. I would agree with you if Annie had just generally been cheating, but she has specifically been copying Kat's homework for years. That's a major violation of Kat's trust, especially now that they are roommates. I think Kat would justifiably be angry about it, more so than being sad or disappointed.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Also this page and the next one from her second year at the Court.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

It just occurred to me that if you asked the robots to make a "realm of the dead" (without going into any more detail than that) what Kat's seeing is probably what they'd come up with.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

FronzelNeekburm posted:

An excellent observation. Perhaps it is suppressed as well.

I think this shows that their physical bodies are in Zimmingham rather than just their etheric selves as in previous visits.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Air is lava! posted:

What ever happened to Toms video retrospections? He just stopped posting them at some point.

I think he's busy with his work on the Munchkins comics and promoting the Legendary Showdown: Machines and Magic Kickstarter.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Are you feeling OK Tom? :ohdear:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

I happened to check the comment section for the current page and, uh,

quote:

Lowtax

Those bugs are like the whiny neo-nazis who got me banned from Twitter: they scurry about everywhere and get into all the small places when you aren't looking. (please support my Patreon)
27 Sep 2017 | 12:54 AM

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

a medical mystery posted:

passing over his power and feigning a coup and/or death to shirk any responsibilities associated with it is definitely a Coyote thing to do

Yeah, if Coyote has a plan it's probably to gently caress up the Court using an insane and overpowered Ysengrin as a form of plausible deniability.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

In the Reddit discussion about today's page some of the commenters pointed out that Ysengrin is now a Coywolf. Coywolfs tend to have much less fear of humans than pure breeds of either parent species which generally makes them more dangerous to people.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

If this comic has a central theme it's, as Kat put it, "love makes you act in strange ways." James forgiving Reynard over killing Sivo but being unable to move past Surma choosing Tony over him would be well within that theme.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Y'know, I never interpreted this as "the real Annie isn't in this time line anymore" or even "this isn't the comic's original time line."

Rather, I read it as "Annie herself never belonged to the time line of the comic." after all, we never visited that dude previously to have him confirm Annie belonged here.

The way I interpreted it was that the "original" Annie is still in the forest with Loup while the Annies we are currently following were plucked from other timelines for Loup's purposes (to deflect the Court's attention (while he talked the "original" Annie into staying in the forest with him) and to retrieve the artifacts with Coyote's memories).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 10, 2019

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, from what I understand they now have an 18 month window to shop it around and get financing and distribution arranged and if they don't find partners the rights go back to Tom (and no TV gets made). Two examples of other media properties I can think of that were optioned for TV but ultimately had nothing come of it are the Myst game series and the Laundry Files book series* by Charles Stross.

*Whose (initial) premise I'd summarize as: what if the BOFH was dropped into a Lovecraftian world where computers can perform magic using the right algorithms and he is unwillingly drafted into a government organization tasked with keeping this all secret from the unwitting public (and whose bureaucracy is almost as big an obstacle as the actual otherworldly threats). If you enjoy the technomagic themes of GC and want something darker I can highly recommend it.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 29, 2020

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Begemot posted:

Coyote should be the only character with an American accent.

Ysengrin and Rey should be heavily French.

Which logically means Loup should have a Quebecois accent :v:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Also when she freed Jeanne's lover. Don't forget that the trap device looked like an impossible maze to Annie and the elf but Kat perceived it as a set of handcuffs with a basic lever lock that Annie could talk her through picking.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

New retrospective, covering the chapter with the Arbiter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRCN0FeP7qQ

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Just re-read chapter 40, The Stone, where Annie and Jones talk about Coyote's Great Secret (which is still one of the best pages of the entire comic) and the nature of gods and the ether to defy causality... it occurred to me that Kat probably never heard any of that. I wonder if a quick recap of that is what's coming up on the next few pages?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Gunnerkraig Court, you mean, right? :colbert:

Also, I liked this exchange on r/gunnerkrigg's discussion of today's comic:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

That was probably the best choice, though it probably won't make the conversation any less awkward:

"Hey mom, you know those robot birds the Court has been trying to get their hands on? Yeah, I built them."

"No, it's not a replica, an alternate timeline version of myself sent them back in time to save Annie when she fell off the bridge."

"No, the forgotten god Saslamel confirmed that Annie isn't supposed to exist when we had to renegotiate the etheric contract between her and Reynard."

"Oh, I needed to use the contract to transfer the minds of the court robots into biological bodies to restore them to sentience."

"I based the mind transference on etheric readings I took from the artifact Diego used to trap the soul of the ghost of the Annan Waters, which we recovered when we freed the ghost."

By the end of it I bet Anja has the same expression as Annie after Jones tells her about her history.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 19, 2020

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Even if it's not the Court's plan, Kat's apotheosis would fulfill what Coyote said all the way back in chapter 20 how the Court was "man's endeavor to become God."

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Aww yes, it's been a while since we've spent a significant amount of time with Reynard in his doll form. It will be interesting to see Rey at his least mature interacting with Annie after years of character growth.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 23, 2020

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

How I feel about the comic these days:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lotta people very publically fell out of love with former internet darling Gunnerkrigg Court due to Tony Time. Including other webcomic creators. I know the author of Never Satisfied did a big twitter thread on Tony being a bunch of abuse apologia bullshit at the time.

Still, it’s pretty hard to gauge how that reflects on the readership writ large.

We might be able to get some sense from the Patreon. Using Graphtreon, we can see that contributors to the Patreon peaked at 2,019 back in Oct 2018 (during Loup's Trick, where the split Annie situation was revealed):

The contributors then declined until they reached a local minima of 1,844 in Jan of 2020 (during the chapter where Paz blew up at the Annies for making Kat upset) and then recovered to 1,912 in October of that year (during Behind It All which I can't figure out how to summarize in a single sentence). After that, the monthly contributors have either been stable (with a few months gaining a handful of new contributors) or a slight decline (losing a dozen or so contributors). Notably, the decline does seem to have accelerated a bit after June of 2021 (when The Mind Cage wrapped up) and only one month since has seen a net gain in contributors (Oct of 2021 where he gained 2).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 1, 2022

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Apparently this art AI comes from the Zimmyverse:

https://twitter.com/ai_curio_bot/status/1533642627576471554

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

coolusername posted:

So, where do we all agree the comic really ended?

The final print volume ended with chapter 77, the one where they resolve the robot birds plot thread. Two chapters later the Annies are merged and then the one after that is The Mind Cage. That's probably a decently satisfying place to stop knowing what came after.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

is she in a literal fridge

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that thought 😬

edit: BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Gunnerkrigg Court: is she in a literal fridge

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 9, 2023

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Interesting tangent fact, the average person can handle roughly 15 minutes of boredom(or some other relatively short period, I don't remember the exact number) before they will intentionally press a button that does nothing but deliver a painful shock, because the painful shock is preferable to spending that long alone with nothing but their thoughts to keep them occupied.

Not sure of its relevance, just thought it was interesting.

My favorite part about that study is they had to exclude one dude from their results who basically wouldn't stop pressing the button during the whole time the experiment was being performed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

I'm not sure if it's new today, or if it was there earlier and I just missed it, but it looks like Tom found a new publisher (Dark Horse) for print editions of Gunnerkrigg Court. The announcement also says he's redoing the art for earlier chapters for the new print editions (with previews on Patreon). I wonder if that's been taking time away from the new pages, since he hasn't changed his web publishing schedule and he said in the past he would not redo the earlier art for exactly that reason.