Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I don't know about YF but it's always been an assumption of mine that Annie makes an effort to say "mother" and "father" rather than anything more familiar. In this flashback she stumbles saying "m...mother" and I always assumed she caught herself from saying "mummy". She's only used "mum" or "mummy" when she was upset and crying. She's only ever said "father" and also mentions he'd never call her Annie so there's some formality built into their relationship.

Whether he specifically taught her this or if she's just doing it to seem more mature (like whatever her deal with the makeup is), who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

T-man posted:

Oh god, Jones Annie caught Anime! It infects everything!!

:colbert:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'd guess Gamma would know what happened, too. Annie remembers having a dream where Zimmy showed up and punched her dad in the face, though.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

"Then I realized they can't expell her at graduation if I hold her back every year so she never graduates! Tony old boy you've done it again."

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mischalaniouse posted:

Well remember the way cosmology works in the comic. Mythic beings can predate their own creation because of etheric tomfoolery. It could be that this angel has always existed in same way.

Don't forget that to Zimmy, Kat looks like some messed up old testament angel. I thought Tom said she always looked that way to her ever since they met, but I can't find a quote right now.

Incidentally, that form pops up again in the cruise ship chapter.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

She deals with her anger by avoidance and cold shouldering, even after she exploded at Renard she ran away.

She does feel her temper, though, and lets it fester. Jack even calls her on it in the chapter where they all sneak out at night.

She's still avoiding a lot of the root of her anger. She's mad at her father, she has a right to be mad, but she's still not actually addressing it, and misdirecting it at things like volleyballs. And thanks to a hilariously poorly phrased bit of advice, she's gone even further to avoid it.

Maybe being able to physically (etherically) see her "anger" will help her in the long run.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Bilirubin posted:

Dragon Ball Dragon Ball Dragon Ball Dragon Ball

I know everyone's calling him Vegeta but this just put into my mind Beetlejuice and I'll roll with that from now on.

It's showtime!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

All the flashback panels have a pink/purple tint over them.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The trade off is they have to be ugly and fat.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Nice fursona :classiclol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Tiny Myers posted:

I keep thinking about the newspaper comic, For Better Or For Worse, and the character Anthony in it. I'll be honest, I was never too big of a FBOFW reader, so most of this is secondhand, but what struck me was how much everyone just collectively loathed Anthony. As far as I can tell, he was a character the comic devoted entirely too much focus to in lieu of other, more beloved characters. And the other characters in-universe were constantly extolling his virtues, which he didn't exactly do much to actually demonstrate in practice. The comic seemed to be constantly telling the reader: you should love this character. He is likable and a good guy and doing his best. Why don't you love him? Look at these other characters you like! They like him, so why don't you? And no matter how hard the author tried, everyone just collectively groaned whenever he showed up. And show up often, he did. I'm guessing the author either sensed the hostility or knew on some level this character was not as likable in the comic as he was in her head, and continued to make efforts in the service of changing that, but it merely compounded the problem.

Anyway, I just keep thinking about that. I wonder how common this problem is, that authors have a character they visibly love and think is the bees' knees but the readers extremely do not. And I wonder what typically causes it. It feels like there should be a TVTropes page for it or something.

Anthony was the high school sweetheart of the older daughter Elizabeth who disappeared for awhile. When he came back, he had canonically pressured his career oriented wife into having a child, then was hurt she didn't have any interest in raising her and was cold and distant to them both. They divorced, Anthony saves Liz from being raped, immediately unloads on her that his wife is leaving him.

Anthony was supposed to be a great guy and the love of Liz's life despite the author not realizing what a loathsome toad he is.