Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tried playing re:chain of memories and i uh. i really hate this game. like really really hate it. a lot. i did halloween town first and found the oogie boogie fight actively miserable to deal with, i assumed that was just cause it was a later game area from kh1 so i shouldn't have picked it as my first one. so for the next one i picked wonderland and... wonderland is... so much worse. it is so, so, so much worse. why the gently caress are the card guards kicking my rear end. why are there flower enemies who cancel my cards every single time i try to do anything. is there something i am missing here or is the game supposed to be complete misery to interact with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Pairing RE: Chain of Memories in a collection with the first game seems sensible on paper, until you play it and realize it's almost entirely recycled assets with a way worse combat system. The GBA version isn't high art, but it at least plays distinctly and has some pretty solid pixel graphics. I've never been able to get further than Wonderland in RE CoM because I just get bored with it way too quickly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wonderland is probably the worst it gets as far as like regular enemies go but re:com is not a tightly put together game and frustration with the combat is basically a constant throughout (though mostly from boss fights).

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

I'm running out of Chawotte screenshots I haven't posted before. I might have to resort to some oldies the next time she is brought up!

I remember people not liking the English dub for Riesz either, but I don't know if that has to do with the character just not being very exciting, in remake of a game that probably wasn't loved because of the storytelling to begin with.

leaving the kinda nonsensical SNES storyline completely intact (unlike everything else) was certainly A Choice

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
report from today's continuation of my very slow ffvii replay: this game is still da bomb

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Charlotte is the SoM Sprite but worse.

This is funnier than anything Charlotte does or says in the Trials remake.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

theres always big morons in the rpg thread (no shade, including myself)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Meowywitch posted:

theres always big morons in the rpg thread (no shade, including myself)

including myself too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm..erm..The COlonel.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

charlotte's speech is mostly just one of those weird localization choices where you can see where the idea comes from but they decided to also apply it to the text and, reading a child character talking purely in hiragana is different from seeing them put on a thick baby affectation in english

Endorph posted:

yeah pure hiragana is more like talking in extremely simplistic language not tawking wike dis

Who do we need to blame/help to make sure decisions like this never happens again? The localizers or the voice director?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

If the game is half as good as this glowing preview makes it sound, I'll be thrilled. I loved the Mana games when I was younger.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Who do we need to blame/help to make sure decisions like this never happens again? The localizers or the voice director?
god for destroying the tower of babel

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

RareAcumen posted:

Bwame yourself or God.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Bwame yourself or God.

colony ship came out in november 2023, time for a new thread title

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Just never phonetically write an accent in English unless it's like, ze Spy in Team Fortress 2 levels of silly. Japanese has a bunch of "catchphrases" that probably don't accurately reflect how people actually talk but do indicate an accent. You can't really get across in the same thing in English text, you have to settle for fairly subtle (like word choice) or extreme caricature.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 29, 2024

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah english doesn't have anything like that, y'hear?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Big fan of how half the cast in Final Fantasy X end sentences with "Y'know?"

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

mycot posted:

Just never phonetically write an accent in English unless it's like, ze Spy in Team Fortress 2 levels of silly. Japanese has a bunch of "catchphrases" that probably don't accurately reflect how people actually talk but do indicate an accent. You can't really get across in the same thing in English text, you have to settle for fairly subtle (like word choice) or extreme caricature.

But how will I tell the difference between the whole cast in Chrono Cross?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the new thread title is RPG Thread: Troubleshooter 2 Early Access When?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Big fan of how half the cast in Final Fantasy X end sentences with "Y'know?"

よね?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
believe it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

got it memorized

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

O'Doyle rules

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CullenDaGaDee posted:

O'Doyle rules

lmao

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I got a gun dazou

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Colonel posted:

report from today's continuation of my very slow ffvii replay: this game is still da bomb

Hell yeah

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
At least Charlotte is merely only annoying. I'm remembering the bunny villain girl from Project X Zone 2 who had broken English and used "desu" in the actual English localized script.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Junpei posted:

At least Charlotte is merely only annoying. I'm remembering the bunny villain girl from Project X Zone 2 who had broken English and used "desu" in the actual English localized script.

That was a good localisation actually because she's a huge american weeb

As she would say, "consume a fart, dumbheads"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

the new thread title is RPG Thread: Troubleshooter 2 Early Access When?
it should be SaGa deez nuts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/BRSUN_game/status/1773606760546210050

blue reflection mobage is shutting down. shockingly making a bad mobage of a niche franchise where you went out of your way to put a dude in for all the girls to lust over and push all the hardcore fans away, didnt work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im most curious how much they spent on it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh, that was out? :lol:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its been out for about a year. even ignoring the male MC it was a really bad game, even by mobage standards. Boring combat, bad writing (again, even ignoring the MC), barely any content updates besides adding new characters to roll for, nothing even resembling an endgame, the art varied between bland imitation of kishida mel's artstyle and horribly off model bikini art (like, actively badly done gacha bikini art, not decently drawn gacha bikini art)

it had decent music and thats about it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RareAcumen posted:

Charlotte's English voice was fine, she had that speech affect but so what, a lot of people do. The annoying thing was the insistence of the translators to write it all out phonetically, which made it rather obnoxious to read.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Did BR even have male characters before the spinoff. One look at the character sheet and it's either sapphic schoolgirls or giant interdimensional monsters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Did BR even have male characters before the spinoff. One look at the character sheet and it's either sapphic schoolgirls or giant interdimensional monsters.

No.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly the problem isnt introducing a male character, its that every character was instantly in love with him and gushing over him. blue reflection isnt just some random girls only series, the characters were like, explicitly gay. it was a series about lesbian romance. like not subtextally two of the side characters in second light literally start dating. they use the word 'dating.' they confess to each other. the protagonist of second light openly hits on girls.

desperately pivoting to self-insert male mc pandering is stupid. both for the obvious reasons, but also because there's plenty of games that do that with much higher production values, better writing, and better gameplay. its throwing away your niche to try and compete with games that have 30x your budget and an already invested fanbase. why? theres only a couple of explicitly yuri-themed mobile games, you might have had an actual niche if you stuck to your guns, and you wouldnt have driven away 90% of your hardcore fanbase.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Nope, just girls.

I'm glad I stuck with BR1 despite it's leery nature. I ended up really liking the story and characters. The anime and BR2 are much less creepy.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

honestly the problem isnt introducing a male character, its that every character was instantly in love with him and gushing over him. blue reflection isnt just some random girls only series, the characters were like, explicitly gay. it was a series about lesbian romance. like not subtextally two of the side characters in second light literally start dating. they use the word 'dating.' they confess to each other. the protagonist of second light openly hits on girls.

desperately pivoting to self-insert male mc pandering is stupid. both for the obvious reasons, but also because there's plenty of games that do that with much higher production values, better writing, and better gameplay. its throwing away your niche to try and compete with games that have 30x your budget and an already invested fanbase. why? theres only a couple of explicitly yuri-themed mobile games, you might have had an actual niche if you stuck to your guns, and you wouldnt have driven away 90% of your hardcore fanbase.

What's weird is that even the horny pandering gachas usually offer a female protagonist option or at least gender ambiguity these days.

mycot fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the blue reflection mobile game died in a year to incompetence, and the king, revue starlight, continues its victory march to somewhere