Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Jason Scherier should just play Ogre Battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Annath posted:

Still in my top 5 RPGs though. Probably in my top 5 games tbh. I enjoyed it way more than I enjoyed 3 or 5.

name your top five rpgs and say troubleshooter abandoned children is one of them or i will wrestle you

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheMightyBoops posted:

Jason Scherier should just play Ogre Battle.

but shouldnt everyone play this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

persona 4 is fine it just mostly got that weird lgbt game rep because none of the people who played it wanted to play actual lgbt games like fate/extra

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Extra Credits video on Persona 4 did lasting damage to people online.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You have to remember 2008 America was insanely repressed about homosexuality, even acknowledging it (in a problematic way) was novel to people. It is actually kinda unbelievable how much culture changed over a fairly short period of time. I'm not saying that's the intended takeaway from Atlus or anything but people perceive things based on their experience at the time.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 22, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh lol, that was the same year i kissed a girl came out, wasn't it?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I remember on Deviantart any kind of homo content was considered the nastiest, perviest filth, on a website named Deviantart lol.

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh lol, that was the same year i kissed a girl came out, wasn't it?
One google later I can say it is

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 22, 2024

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Clarste posted:

I don't remember a single thing about the fantasy politics of Suikoden 2, but I do remember that the villain was the evilest person ever and also unkillable because of his ability to shout really loud that he didn't want to die yet. This made him insanely popular among anyone who played the game.

I don't think he ever actually shouted that, but he sure was hard to keep down, yeah.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Incidentally, whenever anyone says they want a game with politics they always mean they want a third neutral country in between the evil empire and the good kingdom, as opposed to playing the game that takes the bold position that Irish terrorism is morally correct if it's to oppose British rule.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I don't need a political reason to play a game. I just want to fight a villain with a sappy tragic backstory who chews scenery every time I see them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Clarste posted:

Incidentally, whenever anyone says they want a game with politics they always mean they want a third neutral country in between the evil empire and the good kingdom, as opposed to playing the game that takes the bold position that Irish terrorism is morally correct if it's to oppose British rule.

I'm blanking, what game is this?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's always Arknights.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh I should have known, lol. I was stuck on rpgs.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Snooze Cruise posted:

name your top five rpgs and say troubleshooter abandoned children is one of them or i will wrestle you

I haven't played Troubleshooter yet, so please don't wrestle me.

In no particular order:

Persona 4

Chrono Trigger

Dragon Warrior Monsters (1 and 2)

Dark Souls 3 (does it count? "Soulslike" has become it's own thing)

Final Fantasy V

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Annath posted:

Dark Souls 3 (does it count? "Soulslike" has become it's own thing)

Soulslike games are a category of action-RPGs and should be fair game for this topic. And you're definitely not alone in thinking DS3 is the best of them!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I like DS 2 the best but I promised myself I’d never get into a debate about it again.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

I like DS 2 the best but I promised myself I’d never get into a debate about it again.

why bring it up then

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

You have to remember 2008 America was insanely repressed about homosexuality, even acknowledging it (in a problematic way) was novel to people. It is actually kinda unbelievable how much culture changed over a fairly short period of time. I'm not saying that's the intended takeaway from Atlus or anything but people perceive things based on their experience at the time.
but fate/extra was like only a year later

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ff16's problem isn't the plot turn, it's that maehiro is kind of a boring character writer and 90% of what informs his writing is "i liked working on final fantasy tactics". when it came to writing the last few bad guys in 16 he just kinda ran out of character ideas that weren't, this one's androgynous, this one's kind of a pervert and this one is an homage to the villain of the game i like

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

2008 was like, after gay marriage was already a big issue and a decent chunk of people supported it? Like, it was something being seriously argued for in a legislative context. Certainly there was a lot of pushback too, but it was absolutely not something the USA was unwilling to even talk about at the time. It was probably the most openly discussed period for it in history?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

*pushes glasses up nose* actually gamers, you will find that Dark Souls 2 is the superior entry into the franchise.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what makes people have the takeaway of persona 4 they do is in fact, just that it was a really weird and unique game they played as a teen and that sense of style and the few interesting ideas its writing touches on are enough to make people brush over the vast majority of its flaws and take a more charitable and deeper than intended read out of it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Buffy the Vampire Slayer had a gay character like 10 years before Persona 4.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Clarste posted:

2008 was like, after gay marriage was already a big issue and a decent chunk of people supported it? Like, it was something being seriously argued for in a legislative context. Certainly there was a lot of pushback too, but it was absolutely not something the USA was unwilling to even talk about at the time. It was probably the most openly discussed period for it in history?

2008 was when California, the liberal hippie drug sex enclave, passed Prop 8 to ban same sex marriage and that along with the election was generating an intense amount of media coverage and public activism, almost more then when MA passed the first law allowing gay marriage.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, it barely passed and was super controversial, ie: it was a hot topic that everyone was talking about. It was not an era where "even a problematic mention was unheard of."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like this is also the case for other aspects of persona 4. none of the characters are particularly deep and yet it is a cast people got deeply attached to, because for a lot of people they'd never seen a game try to do the stuff persona 4 was playing at doing with them before, and especially never with the flair that it has. it's something that kinda applies to all of modern persona, really, but 4's small town rural setting is the perfect one to really give off an intimate atmosphere with its cast

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't really see how like, 2008 was a more culturally repressed time = americans didn't know gays exist

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I am responding to the sentence "even acknowledging it was novel to people." Which is, like, no? It was the biggest, most controversial issue of the year and constantly in the news. Everyone was acknowledging it constantly, no matter what side of the issue they were on. Gay visibility was at an all-time high.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Zokari posted:

why bring it up then

I still like it.

There was some time where anywhere on the internet if any Dark Souls game came up or was even just was mentioned it would derail any conversation and make it about which one was the best.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I'd be curious to hear what made Dark Souls 2 your favorite. I haven't played it in nearly a decade, so having your perspective on it might be a good motivation to give it a replay!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I won't have time to play Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes or SaGa Emerald Beyond until this weekend, being old sucks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mass Effect came out in 2007 and you could have gay sex with an alien. Admittedly, I can see how P4 would get points for at least appearing more introspective about it.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Clarste posted:

In 2008 both primary candidates for the presidency of the "liberal" party were against it. It was absolutely not being seriously argued for in a legislative context except maybe by some fringe members. It wouldn't be until Obama's second term when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of gay marriage that suddenly that wing of the party decided public opinion was on their side and their positions "evolved". Don't even need to mention the Republican position on this was and that it remains unchanged.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
For what it's worth, I should have specified that I only played P4 Golden. I never played the OG.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Tequila Bob posted:

I'd be curious to hear what made Dark Souls 2 your favorite. I haven't played it in nearly a decade, so having your perspective on it might be a good motivation to give it a replay!

I like that you can approach it in a myriad of ways with how the map's laid out, the way that the curse seems to affect even the land itself (the Earthen Peak > Iron Keep elevator for instance), the graphics lending themselves to the dark fantasy feel (and I find it a comfy aesthetic here). I loved how you could be invaded at anytime back when it was active. Majula is a beautiful hub with a haunting song. The DLC is all pretty fun to run through too, and fights like Sinh and Fume Knight are my favorite in the whole series including ER. While 3 had a better roster of boss fights all around, I find the linearity dull in comparison especially when the first half feels kind of like a slog to me, and the DLC outside of the bosses didn't really grip me. The enemies felt rather overtuned in Ringed City particularly.

Really all DS2 needs for me to like it even more is a password system/removal of soul memory to facilitate multiplayer better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there is no fundamental difference between persona 4 and golden other than that if you like persona 4, golden gives you more of what you would like about persona 4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think ds2 just had the misfortune to be peoples' first experience with a from game sequel. it's not any worse than any of the other mildly janky followups they'd done in the past, just when king's field 3 came out king's field 2 was another weird ps1 rpg and not one of the most popular and lauded games of all time so kf3 being a weird sort of step down in a lot of areas while having its own weird charm didn't lead to it getting argued about for 20 years after

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Janissary Hop posted:

In 2008 both primary candidates for the presidency of the "liberal" party were against it. It was absolutely not being seriously argued for in a legislative context except maybe by some fringe members. It wouldn't be until Obama's second term when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of gay marriage that suddenly that wing of the party decided public opinion was on their side and their positions "evolved". Don't even need to mention the Republican position on this was and that it remains unchanged.

It doesn't matter if they were supporting gay marriage or not, the point was that everyone was publicly acknowledging that gay people existed (and should be fine with civil unions or whatever). Gays were visible.

If Kanji was the first maybe-gay character you encountered in media you were living in a hole, that's what I am saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Type Moon has been ahead of its time on lgbt representation pretty much since its inception. Shiki Ryougi's nonbinary deal, Rider bisexualing all over the place in Hollow Ataraxia, etc