Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Clarste posted:

It doesn't matter if they were supporting gay marriage or not, the point was that everyone was publicly acknowledging that gay people existed (and should be fine with civil unions or whatever). Gays were visible.

If Kanji was the first maybe-gay character you encountered in media you were living in a hole, that's what I am saying.

I mean considering we were talking about teens playing this at first...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

2008 was like, after gay marriage was already a big issue and a decent chunk of people supported it? Like, it was something being seriously argued for in a legislative context. Certainly there was a lot of pushback too, but it was absolutely not something the USA was unwilling to even talk about at the time. It was probably the most openly discussed period for it in history?
joe biden saying he supports gay marriage now but he mentions persona 4 instead of will and grace

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

joe biden saying he supports gay marriage now but he mentions persona 4 instead of will and grace

lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Type Moon has been ahead of its time on lgbt representation pretty much since its inception. Shiki Ryougi's nonbinary deal, Rider bisexualing all over the place in Hollow Ataraxia, etc

ehhh its not really 'ahead of its time' its a pretty normal level for jp otaku stuff even at the times, jp otaku stuff was just ahead of the curve compared to american pop culture because of its roots in leftism and a general resistance to most other societal norms to begin with

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like the contrast between east and west here is very funny because, at the time it came out, there were complaints about p4 from jp gay/trans groups. not like riotsi n the street just you can find jp circles and discussion sites from that era that call the handling kinda weird. meanwhile extra credits was discussing it like it was the first brick at stonewall.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Tequila Bob posted:

I'd be curious to hear what made Dark Souls 2 your favorite. I haven't played it in nearly a decade, so having your perspective on it might be a good motivation to give it a replay!

I think there’s a few main things. For context I only play SOTFS because I’m too lazy to seek out original DS 2, but I might someday.

Firstly the expansiveness of the map. The map of DS 1 I can for the most part keep entirely in my memory, so after you really commit it to memory you tend to follow very similar patterns through it. Also the difficulty spikes in 1 in some of the areas you technically can go to give me way more of a “you shouldn’t be here vibe.” I can’t really do the same thing with DS 2, I sort of remember the start of each of the map spokes, but the way the levels don’t overlap on themselves makes it harder for me to spatially commit them all to memory.

Secondly how difficulty works.

DS 2 feels harder than 1 to me and 3 doesn’t actually seem much harder than 2, but I tend to get frustrated with 3 because the places where it’s hard the difficulty feels more like it’s based on fighting a lesser number of tougher dudes with smaller margins for error in the immediate moment. 2 is usually hard based on a ton of enemies that you have to manage and get overwhelmed by in its tough spots. This just generally makes it easier for me to get in the zone and not get frustrated if I get my poo poo rocked.

Lastly the DLC has some of my favorite DS boss fights and is long enough that it almost feels like its own game.

In general how it’s laid out makes game’s scale feel massive and I like to just take a few weeks and blast through the whole thing once every few years.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does Valkyria Chronicles 4 let you know if a mission has a special unit with special loot?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Snooze Cruise posted:

I mean considering we were talking about teens playing this at first...
Yeah that's all I really meant to comment on, millenials probably played Persona 4 near release as a teenager. You can say that they must not have been the cool teens, but whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but utena was already on youtube in glorious 360p split into 3 parts per episode

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and bleach was airing on adult swim and it had that girl who wanted to touch orihimes boobs whos about as complex and sympathetic as a persona 4 character

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think I was into something much dumber than anime during the late 2000s, but at least it wasn't Homestuck.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I was super into Touhou.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mycot posted:

I think I was into something much dumber than anime during the late 2000s, but at least it wasn't Homestuck.

This.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think there’s a few main things. For context I only play SOTFS because I’m too lazy to seek out original DS 2, but I might someday.

Firstly the expansiveness of the map. The map of DS 1 I can for the most part keep entirely in my memory, so after you really commit it to memory you tend to follow very similar patterns through it. Also the difficulty spikes in 1 in some of the areas you technically can go to give me way more of a “you shouldn’t be here vibe.” I can’t really do the same thing with DS 2, I sort of remember the start of each of the map spokes, but the way the levels don’t overlap on themselves makes it harder for me to spatially commit them all to memory.

Secondly how difficulty works.

DS 2 feels harder than 1 to me and 3 doesn’t actually seem much harder than 2, but I tend to get frustrated with 3 because the places where it’s hard the difficulty feels more like it’s based on fighting a lesser number of tougher dudes with smaller margins for error in the immediate moment. 2 is usually hard based on a ton of enemies that you have to manage and get overwhelmed by in its tough spots. This just generally makes it easier for me to get in the zone and not get frustrated if I get my poo poo rocked.

Lastly the DLC has some of my favorite DS boss fights and is long enough that it almost feels like its own game.

In general how it’s laid out makes game’s scale feel massive and I like to just take a few weeks and blast through the whole thing once every few years.

Interesting.

While I don't hate DS2, pretty much everything you've mentioned enjoying is something I disliked about it.

To me, the map is a disjointed mess, especially coming on the heels of DS1 where the map is clearly well thought out not just in terms of level design, but in world design/lore. It even continues to this trend in the DLC, with basically every terrain feature of the non-Abyss section of Oolacile having a clear corresponding feature in the main world.

I never got the vibe that DS2s map being hosed up was due to the curse/lore. Nothing in game points you to that at all. There's vague mentions of distortions in time in all 3 games, but it's not until the DLC of DS3 that space starts to warp.

DS2 is more difficult than 1, but not in a fun way. Enemies disappearing until you raise bonfire intensity was a lame mechanic. Soul memory was an honest effort at fixing a real problem, but it didn't work well and was a pain to play.

DS2 did have some great bits. The Rat King Covenant was a much more interesting variation on the unfortunately broken Gravelord covenant from DS1, and some of the enemy designs were awesome. I'm still pissed they never brought back the Mastodon Knights.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mycot posted:

Cliche (noun) is probably more accurate but people react even more negatively to that. Archtype maybe.

*incredibly nasal voice* genre convention

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Playing wandering sword to get my fix of wuxia and boy is the difficulty all over the place. One one hand , it makes you feel like a xiake after killing two evil dudes with sticks but then it makes you feel like a clown after getting mauled by a bunch of vipers.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Annath posted:

To me, the map is a disjointed mess, especially coming on the heels of DS1 where the map is clearly well thought out not just in terms of level design, but in world design/lore. It even continues to this trend in the DLC, with basically every terrain feature of the non-Abyss section of Oolacile having a clear corresponding feature in the main world.

I never got the vibe that DS2s map being hosed up was due to the curse/lore. Nothing in game points you to that at all. There's vague mentions of distortions in time in all 3 games, but it's not until the DLC of DS3 that space starts to warp.

Imo when people talk about DS2's map being hosed up because of the curse/lore, they're not talking about it being literally warped the way it is in DS3. A lot of the NPC writing in DS2 relates to the curse and how the process of going hollow impacts the characters, their sense of self, and their memories. A really visible example of that is how the blacksmith doesn't realize his daughter is literally right outside his door, or how the armorer forgets who you are after you progress his questline. When you look at the map in the mansion basement and take notice of how it lights up over the course of play, you can see how the distance between a lot of the areas in the game is much larger than it appears. For example, there is a huge distance between the Earthen Peak and the Iron Keep, but (as people regularly complain about) when you transition between the two areas in gameplay, it's just an elevator. It doesn't make sense, not just because you're taking an elevator from a structure that's outdoors into a volcano, but because you're somehow also traveling a great lateral distance at the same time.

Between that and other examples in the game (such as the rain suddenly starting when you walk through the fairly short tunnel to Drangleic castle), it's pretty easy to make the argument that the player character, who starts the game fully hollowed, is just losing time. You don't have to accept that argument, of course, but I think it's pretty coherent.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think the game ever does any tricks on purpose with its geography so it's hard to buy as an intentional theme, I guess you can read it that way but it does feel like a post-hoc rationalisation for the slapdash hastily assembled world design

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

King of Solomon posted:

Imo when people talk about DS2's map being hosed up because of the curse/lore, they're not talking about it being literally warped the way it is in DS3. A lot of the NPC writing in DS2 relates to the curse and how the process of going hollow impacts the characters, their sense of self, and their memories. A really visible example of that is how the blacksmith doesn't realize his daughter is literally right outside his door, or how the armorer forgets who you are after you progress his questline. When you look at the map in the mansion basement and take notice of how it lights up over the course of play, you can see how the distance between a lot of the areas in the game is much larger than it appears. For example, there is a huge distance between the Earthen Peak and the Iron Keep, but (as people regularly complain about) when you transition between the two areas in gameplay, it's just an elevator. It doesn't make sense, not just because you're taking an elevator from a structure that's outdoors into a volcano, but because you're somehow also traveling a great lateral distance at the same time.

Between that and other examples in the game (such as the rain suddenly starting when you walk through the fairly short tunnel to Drangleic castle), it's pretty easy to make the argument that the player character, who starts the game fully hollowed, is just losing time. You don't have to accept that argument, of course, but I think it's pretty coherent.

Ehhh... I disagree...

Games having super distorted senses of scale due to how long it would take to traverse real-size maps is super common, so unless DS2 specifically said "these distances are weird because you aren't perceiving the time involved correctly", I can only see it as being a result of video game design. Saying otherwise seems like a post-facto attempt to paper over DS2s well known troubled development running out of time.

And even if you are losing time, an elevator going up from the top of a mountain and dumping you into a volcano doesn't make sense. It doesn't matter how long you are standing there in a fugue state - you start and end the trip on an elevator, so unless you sleepwalked off one elevator, down the mountain, and then onto another identical elevator that leads to a volcano, it doesn't vibe.

E: gently caress, beaten like The Last Giant

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Annath posted:

Ehhh... I disagree...

Games having super distorted senses of scale due to how long it would take to traverse real-size maps is super common, so unless DS2 specifically said "these distances are weird because you aren't perceiving the time involved correctly", I can only see it as being a result of video game design. Saying otherwise seems like a post-facto attempt to paper over DS2s well known troubled development running out of time.

And even if you are losing time, an elevator going up from the top of a mountain and dumping you into a volcano doesn't make sense. It doesn't matter how long you are standing there in a fugue state - you start and end the trip on an elevator, so unless you sleepwalked off one elevator, down the mountain, and then onto another identical elevator that leads to a volcano, it doesn't vibe.

E: gently caress, beaten like The Last Giant

The idea behind your character losing time and memory is that you aren't just standing still, when you travel from the earthen peak to the Iron Keep you're crossing a mountain range without being aware of it.

And yeah, it probably is just post-hoc rationalization for the game map not being coherent, but it lines up with the writing in a way that feels intentional to me.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I will always hold that I think it's a bit silly for people to say the game doesn't support or suggest the idea that time/space is messed up in Drangleic when the opening movie is you falling into a swirling black vortex and landing in a place called Things Betwixt. I am fine admitting that the weird spatial un-reality is probably the result of ambitious but shortened development, but they definitely tried to explain it. I mean, "explain" in as much as anything is explained in a Dark Souls game.

I also like that the narrator of the opening movie says "you'll stand at the gates of Drangleic and not know why" and, yep, I definitely didn't know why when I got there! She was right!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Yeah that’s why I didn’t specifically bring up more lore interpretations, because they’re really subjective, sometimes abstract and also I don’t remember them. To me DS 2 is just a fun rear end video game.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 22, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wish the Rat Covenant had ended up working better. Bell Bros is still the best multiplayer experience one can have though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lets all play the adventures of cookie & cream

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Gaius Marius posted:

I wish the Rat Covenant had ended up working better. Bell Bros is still the best multiplayer experience one can have though.

My favorite part of Return to Drangelic is setting up a Bellbro

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
all the souls games after demons souls are bad, simple as

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
is there a touhou in the style of saga frontier

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got some new armor in KCD last night and it was a big boost to my head armor slot.

What I didn't know was that it actively obscures your vision. Unless the head armor is open faced, your screen gets darkened in combat. If you're wearing something like a klappvisor, you literally see out of small eye slits.

It's great from a realism perspective but I laughed the first time I fought in this helmet because I couldn't see poo poo in the top quarter of my screen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I've been enjoying this game. I'm not far, but I just owned this noble brat in archery and a sword duel despite being a loser who was insulted by the guard captain guy immediately prior for my incompetence. Got a bow from it!

For some reason I had been under the vague impression the game was both bad and some sort of PvP thing until just a few days ago.

Tequila Bob posted:

I'd be curious to hear what made Dark Souls 2 your favorite. I haven't played it in nearly a decade, so having your perspective on it might be a good motivation to give it a replay!

For some reason DS2 is the only Souls game (including Elden Ring) that I was able to get into (enough to play like 50+ hours, at least).

I'm not sure why exactly. Something about it felt less stressful/tiring than the other From games.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 23, 2024

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ I've been enjoying this game. I'm not far, but I just owned this noble brat in archery and a sword duel despite being a loser who was insulted by the guard captain guy immediately prior for my incompetence. Got a bow from it!

For some reason I had been under the vague impression the game was both bad and some sort of PvP thing until just a few days ago.

I think there are several Medieval Europe games put out by eastern European devs that are also PvP oriented. The all kind of get mixed up lol.

Hans is definitely a dick but he gets some nice development in a few sidequests.

Edit: Also, you should do the main questline until you learn how to do a Perfect Block. At that point you can just go off and do whatever sidequests suit your fancy. That's about the last MSQ gated mechanic and it's super crucial to survival.

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 23, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

all the souls games after demons souls are bad, simple as

no! That’s not true actually!!

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Radia posted:

no! That’s not true actually!!

its extremely true

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
my favorite souls game is soul sacrifice

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

the one good game keiji inafune had a hand in in the last two decades

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

is there a touhou in the style of saga frontier
not saga frontier but genius of seppheiros is romancing saga based

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CullenDaGaDee posted:

mine is Soul Provider, the album/song from Michael Bolton

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Hans is definitely a dick but he gets some nice development in a few sidequests.

My prediction about Hans was actually that he would grow to respect you and become your tsundere buddy, since I just got a quest to accompany him on a hunting trip.

Even just learning regular blocks made a pretty big difference, since I find it pretty easy to succeed with them, at least on controller. Currently I'll try to block and then do the feint attack where I hold R2 and then switch to the opposite side to actually make the attack.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

No Dignity posted:

I don't think the game ever does any tricks on purpose with its geography so it's hard to buy as an intentional theme, I guess you can read it that way but it does feel like a post-hoc rationalisation for the slapdash hastily assembled world design

The entire game is about how this poo poo has dragged on in cycles so long everyone is faded and tired and memory itself has become fleetimg grey mist you literally walk around in in the end game. It's not ad hoc the game says this poo poo outloud directly and then builds a world that impossibly twists inward and downward on itself.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 23, 2024

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ytlaya posted:

My prediction about Hans was actually that he would grow to respect you and become your tsundere buddy, since I just got a quest to accompany him on a hunting trip.

Even just learning regular blocks made a pretty big difference, since I find it pretty easy to succeed with them, at least on controller. Currently I'll try to block and then do the feint attack where I hold R2 and then switch to the opposite side to actually make the attack.

Seems like the combat system is really made for controller too. From what I understand, clinches and Master Strikes are based on your weapon skill, so there is an element of randomness to success in combat. Also, I would recommend that you do the Rattay Tournament every week if you're able to. You probably won't win it, but it's great for fighting experience. Also, you can train with Captain Bernard outside of the eastern gate in Rattay to get skill XP for various weapons.

I'll try not to post too many spoilers or advice for the rest of the game. The early going can be a little rough combat wise, but once you figure out the system it becomes pretty engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I think Nowa may be my new favorite main character. I love how he does not hide his absolute bewilderment at all of these absolute weirdos he meets.