Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
OH! And the best thing Suikoden 4 did was give us Suikoden Tactics.

e:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I remember that less than flattering LP pointed out that the ocean is what you see the most, more than any location or even character. The ocean looks like this:

My brain remembers it looking better than it does. that era is way more brown/grey than I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

it was a good game it was just kinda ugly and 5 was so much better everyone promptly forgot it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Buck Wildman posted:

it was a good game it was just kinda ugly and 5 was so much better everyone promptly forgot it

Honestly I'd say 4 is better than 3. I absolutely hate the design of three, it feels like they were FORCED to make a Suikoden game and didn't really want to do it.
4 is jank and annoying but at least it feels like Suikoden. SK5 is great though

Levantine posted:

There is one thing I can't figure out, for the life of me: What does Armor actually do? It has a value, E-S. Smash attacks reduce it. But there seems to be ZERO difference between full armor and no armor. It feels like maybe it just doesn't work and a patch might fix it.

It reduces damage. I can't tell if it's flat or what but it actively takes down the amount of damage you'd take from the attack.
At least this is how it works on Garr and on enemies, I can't seem to see it working on my wizard guy.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 26, 2024

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The suikoden remasters aren’t gonna be quality are they. Not like star ocean 2 the best game.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Overbite posted:

The suikoden remasters aren’t gonna be quality are they. Not like star ocean 2 the best game.

The last preview we got of them got a good bit of negative feedback sooo...yeah they're gonna be bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Yeah Forspoken is a game that really benefits from having a Dualsense Edge

finally, my backpaddles time to shine

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm sure the Suikoden remaster will be given the same love and care afforded to the lastest Metal Gear collection.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The main disappointment I had with Suiko4 and Suiko5 is that they ostensibly take place in the past. The main draw of the Suikoden series for me was that it appeared to take place in a living, persistent world, with it's history being shaped by your actions as the player and as the timeline progresses you get to see the impact of those actions. Not so with Suiko4 and 5. Dead history. These events have already been referenced in the earlier games, their outcomes already known. Even tho Suiko5 was a very good game, it failed to capture the magic of Suikoden imo

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Taear posted:

Honestly I'd say 4 is better than 3. I absolutely hate the design of three, it feels like they were FORCED to make a Suikoden game and didn't really want to do it.
4 is jank and annoying but at least it feels like Suikoden. SK5 is great though

These claims are bold and vague.

Suikoden 3 was great. It was a game full of new ideas, mostly executed well. I had a blast with it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Welcome to the RPG thread where every day is Opposite Day.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Overbite posted:

M2 did all the Contra and Castlevania ports, so I was hoping they would do them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Are you playing the game or did you just watch the first episode of the anime? (I wanna know what the game is like).

I haven't had a ton of time to devote to it due to some horrible poo poo in my personal life, but what I've played so far seems fun. It's an action-RPG with a ton of customization options but the basic gameplay feels pretty smooth and good. I'm not really sure how it will advance or get more complex but it feels like a kind of arcadey single player Gundam Vs style game.

My biggest complaint, and biggest concern, is that it is super bluntly a F2P-style experience adjusted to be a single player experience. The interface is flat out of F2P games, it has daily log ins, there's a shitload of DLC on day 1 even beyond the deluxe edition they were selling, it has the annoying various kinds of currency thing, etc. The game (again, only as far as I am) seems well adjusted enough that it doesn't feel like it is limiting me, it kind of reminds me of the Mega Man X Dive Offline thing.

I really am not in a situation I'd recommending it yet, it's going to depend a lot on how it scales.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tequila Bob posted:

These claims are bold and vague.

Suikoden 3 was great. It was a game full of new ideas, mostly executed well. I had a blast with it.

SK3 never came out in Europe so I played it on an emulator way later on.
I hate the tiny locales, walking through that stupid forest all the time AND splitting us into three distinct groups with some characters only on certain groups.

As well the manor is just not as good as 1,2,5's castles.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Suikoden 4 is the only one I haven't beaten. Someone mentioned it's a game where you spend the majority of your time traversing the ocean and the ocean looks like poo poo. Compound that with an insane encounter rate. Also the game wants you to come around on Snowe, but I didn't feel like his arc was earned so he was just an annoying poo poo for most of the time.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Saga: Emerald Beyond not really resonating well on first impressions with me. I don't hate the art style at all, I think it actually seems kinda cool. But, RS3 stands out in my head as some of the best sprite art to ever grace a game. With Octopath's success in recent years, I kinda wish there was a new SaGa series game that uses that same aesthetic, being that it feels like SFC era SaGa was the greatest source of inspiration for Octopath's aesthetic, at least as far as character and enemy sprites go.

There hasn't ever really been an indie game that has tried to emulate SaGa's arts system, has there? Alliance Alive comes to mind as a similar type of game, albeit not really indie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty forgiving of Emerald Beyond because it clearly has a budget of $25 and some string they found and a mandate to make it work on everything from consoles to mobile phones.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

saw some reviews of the gameplay loops and it does seem mobile game-like
guess i wait for it to hit bargain bin, seems like a candidate for a $20 game on black friday

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im tired of everything getting called mobile games

its made to run on multiple devices yes, but it plays like a freaking saga game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eiyuden has an achievement for opening every treasure chest and lol, lmao, lost odyssey made this mistake and didn't have random encounter chests like Eiyuden thinks is ok.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

saw some reviews of the gameplay loops and it does seem mobile game-like
guess i wait for it to hit bargain bin, seems like a candidate for a $20 game on black friday

The gameplay loop is pretty similar to other SaGa games, it's not really 'more mobile' or anything

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
thinking every game is a mobile game is the qanon of video games, smh

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Eiyuden has an achievement for opening every treasure chest and lol, lmao, lost odyssey made this mistake and didn't have random encounter chests like Eiyuden thinks is ok.

Octopath 1 had a lot of psychotic achievements like this. most notably hitting every weakness on every enemy, two of which could be permanently missed if you leveled too fast

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

fortunately, cheevos are silly and so is lusting after them

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is a saga mobile game and it is so grindy that playing it feels like a particularly unrewarding job

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mobile Games are epic.. Limbus company, Star Rail...ftw

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

thinking every game is a mobile game is the qanon of video games, smh
i played a mobile game with stagger bars
therefore final fantasy vii rebirth is a mobile game

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Barudak posted:

is this at least retroactive or am I just f'd for having played the beta

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Infinity Gaia posted:

I still don't understand the point of the little tree guy. His stats just seem overall turbo garbo without any obvious gimmick to make up for it. Everyone else I can kinda see what they were going for but not him.

Some chars are just plain bad. Kalathor is one of them :smith:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I’ve played a lot of DQ mobile, does it not count?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Octopath 2 only had sensible achievements you could all do in a single playthrough, like knocking 100 different people unconscious.

Any game with a collectable trophy needs to have some kind of in-depth map or tracker like modern Ys or the Pixel Remasters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song remaster was on mobile too so I think we can probably all chill about whether something is a "mobile game" or not

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Mobile Games are epic.. Limbus company, Star Rail...ftw

What's the deal with Project Moon games, anyway? I've heard a wide variety of different takes on them.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheMightyBoops posted:

M2 did all the Contra and Castlevania ports, so I was hoping they would do them.

m2 doesnt really do rpgs

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Some chars are just plain bad. Kalathor is one of them :smith:

yea it's a shame
But when you have so many characters just like with the other Suiko games it's going to be like that isn't it

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
TBH I'm actually surprised Emerald Beyond isn't being released on mobile, since the technically similar Scarlet Grace was on mobile and worked very well there. The touch interface was good.

edit: it actually is on mobile, see below

Tequila Bob fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 26, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

nrook posted:

What's the deal with Project Moon games, anyway? I've heard a wide variety of different takes on them.

there's a lot of cool stuff about them but you're gonna see an even wider range of mixed opinions after the ceo of the company went nuts and soured a lot of people who were into their work

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

TBH I'm actually surprised Emerald Beyond isn't being released on mobile, since the technically similar Scarlet Grace was on mobile and worked very well there. The touch interface was good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.SaGaEmeraldBeyondw&hl=en&gl=US It is? That's why I even brought up mobile.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
That's a pleasant bit of news, thanks! I just assumed it wasn't since it didn't get a demo like the other platforms did.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

The Colonel posted:

there's a lot of cool stuff about them but you're gonna see an even wider range of mixed opinions after the ceo of the company went nuts and soured a lot of people who were into their work

oh gently caress it's insane korean antifeminism stuff isn't it. dammit. I remember hearing about this now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

nrook posted:

oh gently caress it's insane korean antifeminism stuff isn't it. dammit. I remember hearing about this now

Yes, that's it.

The games themselves were popular among leftists for an anti-capitalism message (I think?), so they found it particularly vexing.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 26, 2024