Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

IIRC unless something came out after I sort of checked out, the CEO wasn't antifeminist but completly bungled the handling of a situation with one of the artists being harassed by those people since he is sort of stupid and also was in Japan setting up for a Limbus panel at the time and everything basically caught on fire. There was alot of misinfo from well meaning westerners running korean gossip through google translate that made the whole thing insanely hard to follow. Maybe other stuff has happened that's worse though IDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Colonel posted:

m2 doesnt really do rpgs

Didn’t they do all the Japan only Phantasy Star Sega Ages ports and the Sega ages port of PS 1 on Switch?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he mishandled the situation in a way thats somewhat forgivable but his solution to fixing it was to outright lie to people and threaten to sue people for making fun of him online so he still seems like a dipshit. and ultimately the core thing is a complete refusal to try and protect an employee from sexist harassment so my sympathy only goes so far. like he didnt threaten to sue the people who had harassed the artist to begin with, only the people who said he violated labor laws.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

library of ruina and lobotomy corp have cool writing/vibes but are extremely impenetrable and unforgiving as games. lobotomy corp requires a lot of resets to figure out how to play it and ruina requires a fair amount of grinding.

limbus company also has cool writing but as a mobile game you kinda have to log in daily to stay on top of the power curve and part of your daily chores are like 40-50 minute long dungeons that are 90% autobattling, which, no thank you. they at least let you grind currency to get old gacha characters instead of weaponizing fomo against you but still, its kind of annoying to keep up with and there's only actually new content every like 3 months or so.

limbus really should have just been an episodic game and this whole drama would have been avoided and the game'd be better for it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't recall ever physically walking anywhere in Persona 5 R after the first hour. I'm sure 3 will be the same.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

The games themselves were popular among leftists for an anti-capitalism message (I think?), so they found it particularly vexing.
the anticapitalism angle but also basically all the female character designs were very sensible, there were a couple like, 'sexy' characters but most everyone was wearing suits and labcoats and stuff, and the female cast were given a ton of emphasis and stuff to do, they distinctly weren't written in teh way a lot of female characters in niche nerd stuff are. like even in the mobile game, all the characters are kind of a dick to the player self-insert and the one woman who goes out of her way to hype you up and praise you is clearly doing it insincerely. combine that with the female cast being mid-20s to late-40s, and a lot of guys who are kinda beaten down and sad, and you get a series with a big female fanbase. so uhhh, this didnt go over well, to put it mildly. limbus company is still doing okay money-wise but it basically killed the fanart community stonedead. like hundreds of fanartists nuked their accounts in response.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

IIRC unless something came out after I sort of checked out, the CEO wasn't antifeminist but completly bungled the handling of a situation with one of the artists being harassed by those people since he is sort of stupid and also was in Japan setting up for a Limbus panel at the time and everything basically caught on fire. There was alot of misinfo from well meaning westerners running korean gossip through google translate that made the whole thing insanely hard to follow. Maybe other stuff has happened that's worse though IDK.

that's basically it; a group of the insane anti-feminists suddenly showed up at their office making various psychotic demands, and since it's ultimately a small studio completely unprepared for the sort of fanatical attention gacha games get there was nothing in place to stop the CEO from posting every kneejerk response he could in the worst way possible (same hour turnaround on bugs in a live-service game: great! same hour turnaround on people demanding you fire an employee for making fun of the size of their penises via a background character in splash art, somehow: not great!)

separately, there was also an known issue with them not providing support/back-up to localization staff who were being harassed by equivalent entities in other countries, which led to some quitting when these events suggested that wasn't going to change, so there is definitely still some blame at PM's feet, but it's not as bad as a lot of misinformation implied

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, was that the source of the loving insane "a finger near another finger is secretly small penis mockery" thing?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think that's uniquely a Project Moon problem, more that insane antifeminists in Korea have been given way too much power generally. Like, Limbus Company is not the only gacha that's immediately bowed down to their demands. Pretty much all the Korean publishers do, afaik.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, was that the source of the loving insane "a finger near another finger is secretly small penis mockery" thing?

Limbus Company was not the first, nor will it be the last. It was just one in a long line of loving insane finger position stuff.

Edit: Limbus Company just stands out more because the content of their games gave people the impression that maybe they would actually fight back. And then they didn't.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 26, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

that's an older thing. that was the symbol of an extremist feminist group from the 2000s/early 2010s (that basically no longer exists) and they did explicitly state that the symbol represents korean men having small penises. this of course turned into gristle for witchhunting anything remotely resembling that, though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The situation in Korea is genuinely deranged. Imagine if all the insane gamergate dipshits actually had mainstream political power instead of being localized to the internet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the limbus company drama was started by them doing a summer event where a character was wearing a diving suit instead of a Sexy Bikini. weird korean nerds got mad about feminism. the character artist was a guy. so they just went after the CG artist, who is a woman, and dug up a single tweet from a decade ago where she said she RT'd a random extremist feminist saying creepshots were bad. ergo, she is an extremist feminist and must have her life ruined.

The situation in Korea is, extremely bad, with regards to things like that. Like women have been attacked in public for having short hair and half the news time response was a discussion on 'well, does having short hair mean you're a feminist?'

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Taear posted:

Honestly I'd say 4 is better than 3. I absolutely hate the design of three, it feels like they were FORCED to make a Suikoden game and didn't really want to do it.
4 is jank and annoying but at least it feels like Suikoden. SK5 is great though

It reduces damage. I can't tell if it's flat or what but it actively takes down the amount of damage you'd take from the attack.
At least this is how it works on Garr and on enemies, I can't seem to see it working on my wizard guy.

I agree with your first point. Suiko3's writing is good but everything else is awful IMO.

For the Armor thing, that's what I thought too but breaking armor seems to have zero effect on damage dealt. I tested it heavily on some late game dragon enemies with S rank armor and my dudes do exactly the same damage whether the armor is broken or not. It feels like it's just not working or something.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
jesus christ, this sounds awful

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Speaking of which the backstory to Megaton Musashi is absurdly dark.

99.9% of humanity was brutally murdered and the planet was literally cored out, and the surviving humans all live in a fake town in a space station with their memories erased because they were so horrifyingly traumatized that erasing their memories and letting them live in the town was the only way any of them could continue to function.

How is that game? It looks neat but I'm a bit confused by some of the Steam reviews which say it's 90% text 10% battles. Which like, I guess is fine but I'm curious how true that is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a reason a lot of female korean artists move to china or japan to work. like a lot of genshin and star rail's art teams are korean women. and how often in your life do you expect to hear the phrase, 'i moved to china/japan to escape sexism.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How is that game? It looks neat but I'm a bit confused by some of the Steam reviews which say it's 90% text 10% battles. Which like, I guess is fine but I'm curious how true that is.

ImpAtom posted:

I haven't had a ton of time to devote to it due to some horrible poo poo in my personal life, but what I've played so far seems fun. It's an action-RPG with a ton of customization options but the basic gameplay feels pretty smooth and good. I'm not really sure how it will advance or get more complex but it feels like a kind of arcadey single player Gundam Vs style game.

My biggest complaint, and biggest concern, is that it is super bluntly a F2P-style experience adjusted to be a single player experience. The interface is flat out of F2P games, it has daily log ins, there's a shitload of DLC on day 1 even beyond the deluxe edition they were selling, it has the annoying various kinds of currency thing, etc. The game (again, only as far as I am) seems well adjusted enough that it doesn't feel like it is limiting me, it kind of reminds me of the Mega Man X Dive Offline thing.

I really am not in a situation I'd recommending it yet, it's going to depend a lot on how it scales.

(Not trying to be passive aggressive, just it got lost among the rest of the conversation.) It is a loooooot of talking so far but you unlock repeatable sidequests and stuff to do also.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Moon Channel videos on the situation with Korean mens' misogyny and gacha games were fascinating. I can't vouch for their accuracy or anything, I'm sure someone in this thread knows a lot more about the situation than I do, but I did find the videos really interesting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

those videos are an okay summary of things that have happened but in some places they sort of agree with the anti-feminist dudes or conflate things that shouldnt be conflated in a way that seems to reinforce their point. not in a way that makes it seem like the dude secretly agrees with them more just trying to explain things in a way that makes sense but just 'making sense' gives those guys too much credit, if you follow me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheMightyBoops posted:

Didn’t they do all the Japan only Phantasy Star Sega Ages ports and the Sega ages port of PS 1 on Switch?

they did ports of those games yeah but not the full on ps2 remakes. m2 generally sticks to arcade and older console games they can hit a high degree of accuracy on, if you notice they handled the collections for the retro and gba castlevania games but not the one that includes symphony of the night. i don't know if they've ever worked on a ps1 game rerelease and they don't do the kind of hd-ification that konami wants for suikoden 1 and 2, they're more guys you call when you want a good port of mushihimesama

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

(Not trying to be passive aggressive, just it got lost among the rest of the conversation.) It is a loooooot of talking so far but you unlock repeatable sidequests and stuff to do also.

Oh, lol Thanks. yeah somehow missed that post. Very interesting that it's setup like a mobile game for some reason.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some day we will see m2 release their most ambitious project, the high school vn that is loosely based on a bunch of old cave shmups and has been in dev hell for like seven years

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh, lol Thanks. yeah somehow missed that post. Very interesting that it's setup like a mobile game for some reason.

My understanding is that Megaton Musashi was a stand-alone, then they rereleased it as Megaton Musashi X which was a FTP game with a for-pay DLC story mode, and now Megaton Musashi W is a single player release containing the content from the FTP (including the mecha crossover stuff) with the story mode baked in. I might be wrong about the specifics.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I file project moon’s stuff with the secret world and fallen london as games I like to read about but will never ever play. great concepts, can’t handle the execution

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I file project moon’s stuff with the secret world and fallen london as games I like to read about but will never ever play. great concepts, can’t handle the execution

Is there any good place to read about Fallen London? I've genuinely been curious about it since the most I heard was from ads on podcasts but I can't imagine I'd enjoy the game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
last night i fought the one off boss in tales of rebirth who is named dirtnel, with the power to manipulate dirt, who attacks you with mud golems and keeps working the word dirt into every sentence, and when you beat him he shouts "I'LL SEE YOU IN THE NEXT DIRT-WORLD" before killing himself with a boulder

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Colonel posted:

they did ports of those games yeah but not the full on ps2 remakes. m2 generally sticks to arcade and older console games they can hit a high degree of accuracy on, if you notice they handled the collections for the retro and gba castlevania games but not the one that includes symphony of the night. i don't know if they've ever worked on a ps1 game rerelease and they don't do the kind of hd-ification that konami wants for suikoden 1 and 2, they're more guys you call when you want a good port of mushihimesama

I’m just trying to encourage them to branch out and learn a new skill.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ishmael deserved better than all that poo poo, she's cool as hell

ImpAtom posted:

My understanding is that Megaton Musashi was a stand-alone, then they rereleased it as Megaton Musashi X which was a FTP game with a for-pay DLC story mode, and now Megaton Musashi W is a single player release containing the content from the FTP (including the mecha crossover stuff) with the story mode baked in. I might be wrong about the specifics.

Oh, is Korone in W then?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Lobotomy Corp and especially Library of Ruina have a compelling throughline story and some great, memorable characters and moments. It was disappointing to see Project Moon move from making interesting singleplayer experiences to making a particularly grindy gacha game, and then even more crushingly disappointing to see them ruin a blameless person's career in a kneejerk effort to please Korean chuds.

I'd still recommend Ruina to almost anyone if you can grab it on sale. You don't need the Lobcorp background since everything relevant from Lobcorp is explained in Ruina itself.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Kanos posted:

Lobotomy Corp and especially Library of Ruina have a compelling throughline story and some great, memorable characters and moments. It was disappointing to see Project Moon move from making interesting singleplayer experiences to making a particularly grindy gacha game, and then even more crushingly disappointing to see them ruin a blameless person's career in a kneejerk effort to please Korean chuds.

I'd still recommend Ruina to almost anyone if you can grab it on sale. You don't need the Lobcorp background since everything relevant from Lobcorp is explained in Ruina itself.

I guess you don't have to play lob corp to get Ruina, but you won't really feel the horror when you realize that you're working with loving Angela again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

last night i fought the one off boss in tales of rebirth who is named dirtnel, with the power to manipulate dirt, who attacks you with mud golems and keeps working the word dirt into every sentence, and when you beat him he shouts "I'LL SEE YOU IN THE NEXT DIRT-WORLD" before killing himself with a boulder

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

man, I really need to play tales of rebirth

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

a death on the level of raoh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tales of redirth

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Janissary Hop posted:

I guess you don't have to play lob corp to get Ruina, but you won't really feel the horror when you realize that you're working with loving Angela again.

I honestly feel like it would add to the experience, since it makes the slow unraveling of the backstory a lot punchier.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Some chars are just plain bad. Kalathor is one of them :smith:

Like, I know not all characters are made equal and all that but did they have to make him THIS bad? Admittedly a slightly unfair comparison since Falward is on the opposite end of the scale of having bizarrely high stats, but it's still a funny contrast.

Even his personal special attack sucks rear end. Why does it cost 5 loving SP!?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It is proud Suikoden tradition for some of your recruitables to just be borderline unusable trash.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am unreasonably annoyed by the layout of the equipment screen in Eiyuden, where the shield slot is between armor and accessory but also unavailable for a large majority of characters. It is very aesthetically displeasing :colbert: It'd be better if the shield slot was between weapon and helm, and didn't appear at all for characters who can't use shields.

Why yes, I do have a very weird and offputting amount of opinions about the aesthetics of JRPG equipment screens, and yes, it is very stupid

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Levantine posted:

I agree with your first point. Suiko3's writing is good but everything else is awful IMO.

For the Armor thing, that's what I thought too but breaking armor seems to have zero effect on damage dealt. I tested it heavily on some late game dragon enemies with S rank armor and my dudes do exactly the same damage whether the armor is broken or not. It feels like it's just not working or something.

It's weird because when I broke the armour on the large crab it deffo did more damage
Went from around 40 to 80 on most characters (or more but you know, that sorta level)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

BabyRyoga posted:

Saga: Emerald Beyond not really resonating well on first impressions with me. I don't hate the art style at all, I think it actually seems kinda cool. But, RS3 stands out in my head as some of the best sprite art to ever grace a game. With Octopath's success in recent years, I kinda wish there was a new SaGa series game that uses that same aesthetic, being that it feels like SFC era SaGa was the greatest source of inspiration for Octopath's aesthetic, at least as far as character and enemy sprites go.

There hasn't ever really been an indie game that has tried to emulate SaGa's arts system, has there? Alliance Alive comes to mind as a similar type of game, albeit not really indie.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2174900/The_Secret_of_Varonis/ is basically a love letter to FFL2/L3, so you have glimmering on mutants and the usual hallmarks of the gameboy Saga era.