Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

also the limbus company drama was started by them doing a summer event where a character was wearing a diving suit instead of a Sexy Bikini. weird korean nerds got mad about feminism. the character artist was a guy. so they just went after the CG artist, who is a woman, and dug up a single tweet from a decade ago where she said she RT'd a random extremist feminist saying creepshots were bad. ergo, she is an extremist feminist and must have her life ruined.

IIRC one of the craziest things is that the woman in question wasn't actually the CG artist for the diving suit. She was just some other random artist that they chose because she was a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah thats what i said

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

The Colonel posted:

last night i fought the one off boss in tales of rebirth who is named dirtnel, with the power to manipulate dirt, who attacks you with mud golems and keeps working the word dirt into every sentence, and when you beat him he shouts "I'LL SEE YOU IN THE NEXT DIRT-WORLD" before killing himself with a boulder

this

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rascyc posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2174900/The_Secret_of_Varonis/ is basically a love letter to FFL2/L3, so you have glimmering on mutants and the usual hallmarks of the gameboy Saga era.

Thanks for posting this, I got to thinking about this the other day and could not for the life of me remember the name.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TktqCRGdMZ8

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
some of eiyuden's sound effects are crunchy in a bad way, like when nowa spins his weapon before his default lense move combo

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

(Not trying to be passive aggressive, just it got lost among the rest of the conversation.) It is a loooooot of talking so far but you unlock repeatable sidequests and stuff to do also.

Is the localization readable at least, if there is supposedly that much dialogue?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the localization readable at least, if there is supposedly that much dialogue?

Seems fine as far as I am. The only thing that stands out is that it has a surprising amount of foul language. Not like anything worse than a character going "I wrecked your poo poo" but a bit more than I expect from a Level 5 thing.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
thanks for all the context everybody

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
SaGa is back!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

owns, man seeing the screenshots is making me wanna pick the game up right away

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why do party members point out there's a treasure chest in P3R. It's the only thing in the room and the only icon on the minimap.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Why do party members point out there's a treasure chest in P3R. It's the only thing in the room and the only icon on the minimap.

i'm helping

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Persona 6 should have the HUD and minimap be diagetic and commented on by the characters in the game, you're exactly right.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well the soundtrack in Metaphor is apparently diegetic so you never know

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
My favorite bug/oversight in Eiyuden Chronicles, by the way, is that Hildi is available as a card game opponent from the moment you open the card shop. Even as a member of a hostile occupying force, you can just call her over to the castle to play cards whenever you want. That and her S ranking implies that she's secretly a big fan of the game. Hell, maybe Glen's shop is the only place near Grum County that sells the cards, so she just drops by in her off time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How did Cave land the SMT MMO gig?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Rinkles posted:

How did Cave land the SMT MMO gig?

They just kept sending offers in increasingly varied patterns until Atlus couldn't reject them all anymore.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Persona 5 yes? I think yes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
No.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Starting over Fallout 4 to get the Brotherhood ending as a melee man and now that I know things, it is going smooth as butter

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Back to the drawing board

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im in a rush to finish Eiyudens cooking sidequest before I patch cause laffo if you think this has any chance of being fun when they patch in "you have to consult a guide and calculator for every single cooking competition"

The card game kind of sucks, but especially so the first duel. I lost that thing like 3 times in a row because a hand of all 2s is never going to win that thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
isn't the patch fix just that there's a few items that are broken and don't count for the categories they're supposed to

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

isn't the patch fix just that there's a few items that are broken and don't count for the categories they're supposed to

Whatever its going to do I want no part of whatever makes this awful thing require even an ounce more thought.

theres a bug with the smith recruit, while he says he wants 10 iron he doesnt, he wants you to collect 10 new iron after talking to him and getting his request and the option to invite him wont show up again until you do.

Also never sell your appraisal items, even though the game pressures you to. The first one you can encounter which is a fixed drop and Ive now idea how you'd get more later and the first one enemies can drop at all are both used in recruitment quests

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

In the second Runebarrows in Eiyuden and I am running out of patience for this nonsense. I know I should just cut and run at this point but otherwise I'm not sure what to do with myself. I'm not even 100% sure if I actually want to buy SaGa: Emerald right now or if it will just offer me frustration on the other end of the spectrum (every fight being meaningful leaving you to feel like your constantly fighting for your life instead of challenge via attrition).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

In the second Runebarrows in Eiyuden and I am running out of patience for this nonsense. I know I should just cut and run at this point but otherwise I'm not sure what to do with myself. I'm not even 100% sure if I actually want to buy SaGa: Emerald right now or if it will just offer me frustration on the other end of the spectrum (every fight being meaningful leaving you to feel like your constantly fighting for your life instead of challenge via attrition).

I assume you mean the proving grounds rune barrow? After that and the next short dungeon you can get access to the fast travel system and them start just sidequesting like crazy. You can also finally start over leveling versus story content and break the next stretch of the game well over your knee.

That said, its not like combat becomes magically better balanced or the story gets any better than it is right now so if the hook of "build your base up and face no more story difficulty" holds no worm Id quit.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Endorph posted:

limbus company also has cool writing but as a mobile game you kinda have to log in daily to stay on top of the power curve and part of your daily chores are like 40-50 minute long dungeons that are 90% autobattling, which, no thank you.

It rules that all the cool stories in phone games are gated behind the most miserable gameplay out there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goblin week posted:

It rules that all the cool stories in phone games are gated behind the most miserable gameplay out there

tbh, not really, a lot of them are fine. limbus company is just bad

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Limbus is 99% fine. It's just the stupid daily/weekly dungeon crap thats bad. Which makes it even more frustrating.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wonder if giftopia is actually the last one in this pile of moon likes i haven't played. not counting that 24 killers game that's inspired by moon but not in the same direct lineage, i've played moon, chulip, chibi robo, the chibi robo ds sequel that isn't park patrol and kind of sucks, and captain rainbow which also kind of sucks. so far i am enjoying giftopia more than the last two so maybe this one will redeem skip.ltd

e; actually i guess it cant be the last since onion games is making a new one lol. also forgot i haven't played endonesia yet. guess i still have leftovers

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Barudak posted:

I assume you mean the proving grounds rune barrow? After that and the next short dungeon you can get access to the fast travel system and them start just sidequesting like crazy. You can also finally start over leveling versus story content and break the next stretch of the game well over your knee.

That said, its not like combat becomes magically better balanced or the story gets any better than it is right now so if the hook of "build your base up and face no more story difficulty" holds no worm Id quit.

Actually that sounds pretty decent. It's not that I'm struggling so much as it's very tedious and linear.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

goblin week posted:

youtube exists

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

did anyone mention class of heroes 1 and 2 came out on steam today :shrug:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/36599/Class_of_Heroes_12_Complete_Edition/

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

BabyRyoga posted:

Saga: Emerald Beyond not really resonating well on first impressions with me. I don't hate the art style at all, I think it actually seems kinda cool. But, RS3 stands out in my head as some of the best sprite art to ever grace a game. With Octopath's success in recent years, I kinda wish there was a new SaGa series game that uses that same aesthetic, being that it feels like SFC era SaGa was the greatest source of inspiration for Octopath's aesthetic, at least as far as character and enemy sprites go.

There hasn't ever really been an indie game that has tried to emulate SaGa's arts system, has there? Alliance Alive comes to mind as a similar type of game, albeit not really indie.

Hat World: New Testament is pretty directly a SaGa knockoff, complete with the sparking mechanic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

wonder if giftopia is actually the last one in this pile of moon likes i haven't played. not counting that 24 killers game that's inspired by moon but not in the same direct lineage, i've played moon, chulip, chibi robo, the chibi robo ds sequel that isn't park patrol and kind of sucks, and captain rainbow which also kind of sucks. so far i am enjoying giftopia more than the last two so maybe this one will redeem skip.ltd

e; actually i guess it cant be the last since onion games is making a new one lol. also forgot i haven't played endonesia yet. guess i still have leftovers
24 killers was fine i thought, not quite on the level of an authentic love-de-lic experience but it does have its charm

i think maybe it was missing some thematic or mechanic piece that would fully complete it, i don't know what that would be though. it's like 85% of the way there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The 7th Guest posted:

24 killers was fine i thought, not quite on the level of an authentic love-de-lic experience but it does have its charm

i think maybe it was missing some thematic or mechanic piece that would fully complete it, i don't know what that would be though. it's like 85% of the way there

that makes sense. even a few of the ones that actually came out of love de lic lack that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
captain rainbow's entire game loop is "what if we made moon without any of the gameplay dynamics or characters or locations or things to interact with you just do a bad beach volleyball minigame with generic Famicom Wars Guys for an hour"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok so I got to the end of The Proving Grounds in Eiyuden and I (spoiler I guess) went through the little hole with the tree guy and the gate lined up but the door didn't open. What did I do wrong?
Like this scene but the door didn't open.
https://youtu.be/0Ux_Nedxvw8?t=3033

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Actually that sounds pretty decent. It's not that I'm struggling so much as it's very tedious and linear.

Yeah once you get teleporter I was just goofing off for hours and then only progressing the story when I had exhausted all the available sidequesting stuff and my enjoyment picked up.

Note for the proving grounds, there is a unique enemy in the teeny tiny room which has the hole in it that little plant guy goes through a hole in the wall to push a button for you. This enemy drops a 3 star beigoma and if you want to do the beigoma quest at all before end game is basically mandatory.

Edit: While I like that once you over level for a zone in Eiyuden the "escape" command turns into "let them flee" and works 100% of the time, itd be nice if I could also just not load into thay fight unless I want to.