Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Buck Wildman posted:

dead end loot rules and encourages exploration

I'd agree but in most cases the exploration is just a hallway with identical assets to every other hallway in the dungeon and probably 2 random encounters en route

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

No Hex Left Behind

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

what if I need that 20th elixir in my bag

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

you do. you'll regret it forever if you don't get it, dying a little inside every single day

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
A bit deeper into Eiyuden, there are some issues with the translation, mostly minor, like some npcs talking like you had a conversation before, eg. a random kid saying "Oh you don't have one yet?" and like, I just got here kid, th u talking about. The other stuff I keep seeing complained at, like the jpn va saying something different from what's on the textbox seems a sub vs dub argument but reframed as localization this time around.
The game's still charming, leveraging a lot of suiko2 goodwill, but that also can work against it, since suiko2 was such a phenomenal game and this constantly harkens back to it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres one weird translation box in Eiyuden late game that feels like the translator thought it was a narration of what was occurring instead of a characters thought, but its also an optional meaningless npc

Seems like there are 3 missable recruits in the game and two of them have probably some of the worst questing info about them in game/when they actually appear versus when their info shows up with B'Baba.

And then theres Clarke, who requires an item that has a 30% chance of appearing in one shop that it doesnt tell yoj every 45 minutes in game time. He has access to 3 other scripts that have worse drop rates.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
having extremely mixed, mostly negative thoughts about how giftopia handles its soundtrack. obviously in moon you have the cd player and you have to buy your own music tracks, but this system made it easy to just set your own music and be able to listen to it in full with no interruptions. chulip just had normal fixed tracks for areas and scenes. giftopia picked this strange inbetween where certain areas of the island are piped into the local radio station, which plays most of the game's background music, a selection of tracks they got from guest music artists. this is kind of a cute idea but nanashi fm only plays one song per day and a lot of areas do not play its music. for some areas they at least have some of their own background noise so that makes sense, but other areas are just kind of too silent and this music can also be interrupted by any scripted music tracks that might play in cutscenes. the result is i feel like the game has way less of a musical identity than chulip and i'm having a much harder time enjoying its guest tracks than moon. it is honestly very hard, so far, for me to really ever recommend this to anyone over those two games, it loves wasting your time so much more and is so much less fun to play

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Barudak posted:

Theres one weird translation box in Eiyuden late game that feels like the translator thought it was a narration of what was occurring instead of a characters thought, but its also an optional meaningless npc

I feel like that's a pretty reasonable mistake for a translator to make given it was probably just a line on a spreadsheet with minimal context. It's really more of a QA problem in that someone else is supposed to go through and make sure everything looks okay in-game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ragequit posted:

I am not picking up any Ecstasy of Gold from the overworld. Though I am only in the first area. Does the theme change as you progress?

Idk man both Michiko Naruke and Motoi Sakuraba are listed on the soundtrack and it's definitely one and not the other

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

in Eiyuden, do I really have to open the menu and scroll all the way to left to get to the party/member status screen every single time..

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

GateOfD posted:

least favorite dungeon type?

the warp maze dungeons in SMT Strange Journey...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

people used to rag on water dungeons, but I don't mind them as much. Just need to make sure the backtracking to the switches is kept low.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I am playing FFXII for the first time (Zodiac version) and am generally enjoying it. Gambit system took a bit of gettiing used to but i have a solid set up now. love the fastforward option--cant imagine playing the game without it...

but i just got to Giruvegan and am now getting my rear end kicked constantly by all the Disease spewing Marlboros. this status loving sucks. what the gently caress game. i have one bubble belt and already burned through the 5 serums i had somehow acquired and there is no store i can buy new ones from and i havent found the Cleanse spell. only a couple of my characters have the requires Remedy Lore to heal it.

there is no easy way get through this is there? do the Vivian Marlboros persist all the way through Giruvegan or is it just these giant step areas?

Sally fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 28, 2024

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

fridge corn posted:

Idk man both Michiko Naruke and Motoi Sakuraba are listed on the soundtrack and it's definitely one and not the other

That's fair, I didn't know the main Wild Arms composer also worked on Eiyuden Hundred Heroes. I listened to the OST without battle interruptions and can pick up what you are putting down. I also just learned they are helping compose upcoming kickstarter game Armed Fantasia. Mad Wild Arms vibes from that as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA159ZhQ_yU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only dungeons I don't like are the ones that are way too long.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

And then theres Clarke, who requires an item that has a 30% chance of appearing in one shop that it doesnt tell yoj every 45 minutes in game time. He has access to 3 other scripts that have worse drop rates.

You can savescum the rare shop items. Just make sure to save before talking to the shopkeeper otherwise you have to wait another 30 mins before trying again.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i'd love to see an analysis of elden ring dungeons. what a great game. loving h*ck

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

drat the elden ring Chariot dungeons

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Battle Network/Starforce 3 had some good dungeons.

Sure it had Elecman's stage and the Amusement Park dungeon, but I would say there were more good than bad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ragequit posted:

That's fair, I didn't know the main Wild Arms composer also worked on Eiyuden Hundred Heroes. I listened to the OST without battle interruptions and can pick up what you are putting down. I also just learned they are helping compose upcoming kickstarter game Armed Fantasia. Mad Wild Arms vibes from that as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA159ZhQ_yU

i would hope the game kickstarted by the creators of wild arms would give wild arms vibes

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Battle Network/Starforce 3 had some good dungeons.

Sure it had Elecman's stage and the Amusement Park dungeon, but I would say there were more good than bad.

The amusement park had the mix of potential backtracking and terrible bgm. Also the undernet could be really annoying with the arrow panels and high encounter rate.

I also hated the sky wave in sf2 to the point where I only played that game once vs replaying 1 and 3 a few times each.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Man some of the characters in Hundred Heroes are wank for no reason I can fathom
Why is Leon so completely worthless? He hits for gently caress all and his spells barely do anything either, poor guy. He's an anime hero, what are they playing at!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Colonel posted:

i would hope the game kickstarted by the creators of wild arms would give wild arms vibes

Getting excited as I learn more about this game today. I thought it was just the composer on board when the OST was recommended in YouTube, but they apparently also have the original creator and designer of Wild Arms. Going to have to keep an eye on this one.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I don't mind involved dungeons, but I hate it when games waste your time going through their gimmick. I think of something like Final Fantasy VII Remake's collapsed highway with the robot arms, which moved fairly slowly and felt like a chore. Any section where you have to watch a cutscene each time you modify part of the puzzle, especially when there are a lot of repeat actions (e.g. let's watch the water level change for the 12th time). I can't think of any specific examples of this, but when dungeons have a gimmick where your movement is slowed (e.g. outer space, underwater).

----

I am holding off on Eiyuden Chronicles until it gets another patch or two, so I started Persona 5 Tactica.

It is entertaining so far, though I am not a big fan of the cutscene > menu > battle format. It is Mario + Rabbids without the quirky overworld hub. The mechanics are fine, but nothing stands out as being especially interesting or particularly innovative in a way that elevates the experience above similar games in the genre.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Taear posted:

Man some of the characters in Hundred Heroes are wank for no reason I can fathom
Why is Leon so completely worthless? He hits for gently caress all and his spells barely do anything either, poor guy. He's an anime hero, what are they playing at!

He's not an anime hero, he's just an extremely chuuni child. He's even a part of the Child Combo. Which is possibly the single most useless Hero Combo in a game full of useless ones because it requires you to dedicate FIVE of your six character slots to awful child characters because freaking yeti girl is one of them, therefore it requires 4 out of 5 of your actions for the turn and costs a gigantic amount of SP for... Insanely poo poo damage. The child characters are basically a challenge mode.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 28, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
armed fantasia will probably still have cool writing if nothing else, the writer's been active over the years and his work on symphogear was good. it got kinda messy in the later seasons but, messy in a "obviously had no experience with or expectation that he'd be working on a five season long anime across a decade" way and not a complete loss of creativity or identity way, there's fun character work and weird scenarios throughout it's just obviously something where all the planning was for one or two seasons and he was just winging it after that

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
drat, Francesca is wild in Eiyuden Hundred Heroes. I’ll never tire of battle banter that’s various versions of guttural “Suck it!” or “Get wrecked, idiot trash!” She might never leave the party.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Taear posted:

Leon's stats seem super geared for magic, but magic doesn't seem to scale well compared to physical, especially when you factor in MP costs for attack magic. I tried to use him but he's definitely dead weight.

His gimmick seems to be he has a shield so maybe he can frontline? But armor from shields seems to do nothing for your characters either. I have never noticed any kind of damage reduction while it's up, nor any increase when it's broken. Seign has the same issue, but Leon is just worse than him across the board.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 28, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

armed fantasia will probably still have cool writing if nothing else, the writer's been active over the years and his work on symphogear was good. it got kinda messy in the later seasons but, messy in a "obviously had no experience with or expectation that he'd be working on a five season long anime across a decade" way and not a complete loss of creativity or identity way, there's fun character work and weird scenarios throughout it's just obviously something where all the planning was for one or two seasons and he was just winging it after that
also his dad died during the writing of s3 and he was in the hospital during s4 so i will forgive him for s3 being entirely about weird dad issues and s4 being really unfocused

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
otoh s4 has evil transgender alchemists who turn out to actually have been morally just and trying to do what they thought was right and come around to helping the heroes at the last minute and one of them makes a joke about taking estrogen so it was worth it

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Hybrid characters sort of work in Eiyuden because two of the few good spells (Wind rune level 5, Water level 6) apply the magic sword effect to everyone in addition to their normal good effect (Wind is speed up on everyone, Water is a strong party heal). Magic sword bonus damage is magic-based but only activates on physical-element weapons. I think this is what they're going for with Perielle, which is why she her weapon has a lot of swings despite her low attack. In practice, though, the damage with the magic sword effect on is still lower than the normal attack damage of a conventional attacker or conventional mage anyway, especially since hybrids can't make good use out of the stat-boosting runes. Eiyuden is really badly balanced.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why did kaneko go from writing science fantasy cowboy games to writing a super sentai anime about a team of lesbians teaming up to kill an evil japanese grandpa who fought in world war ii and is still strong enough to perform high powered karate attacks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

why did kaneko go from writing science fantasy cowboy games to writing a super sentai anime about a team of lesbians teaming up to kill an evil japanese grandpa who fought in world war ii and is still strong enough to perform high powered karate attacks

because he wrote the nanoha psp games

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

The Colonel posted:

e...excuse me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

after wild arms xf he left media.vision to form his own company, with craft. witchcraft are the developers of the psp nanoha games, a tiger and bunny game, a kamen rider game, and a sentai game, all of which kaneko did writing work for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they also did secondary work on breath of the wild. is there a connection between symphogear and breath of the wild? perhaps...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Radia posted:

e...excuse me

the villain of season 2 of symphogear is named after john wayne and one of his most iconic evil villain lines is a reference to last action hero for some reason

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because Last Action Hero owns

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the villain of season 2 of symphogear is named after john wayne and one of his most iconic evil villain lines is a reference to last action hero for some reason

What does he say, big mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

What does he say, big mistake?
he literally says 'i am humanity's last action hero,' in english