Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

What's weird is that even the horny pandering gachas usually offer a female protagonist option or at least gender ambiguity these days.
even if they dont they also usually at least have like, writing, that someone could possibly care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

even if they dont they also usually at least have like, writing, that someone could possibly care about
That too. But "all girls around one generic man" hasn't been an ironclad convention in a while so it speaks to someone in the ladder being out of touch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mycot posted:

That too. But "all girls around one generic man" hasn't been an ironclad convention in a while so it speaks to someone in the ladder being out of touch.

I dunno, if you told me I had to tank a gacha game because we could make more money with a flop than with a hit doing this with Blue Reflection would be up there on my list of options.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Been playing KH1 and man. This game sucks way more than I remember lol. The tone and story and stuff is great obviously but mechanically I seriously did not remember it being so rough compared to KH2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah revisiting kh1 made me fully realize anyone who says kh was better when it was more disney-centered is insane. that's describing the middle portion of kh1 and the middle portion of kh1 is one of the all time lows because the game's primary strength is its story and there is a long stretch of nothing but disney reenactments in the middle without any fun gameplay to carry it

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I have been on a real first person dungeon crawler kick recently, jumping around between EO3 HD, Legend of Grimrock 2, and King's Field II. Someday I'll learn how to stick with one game at a time.

KFII is cool. Exploring is fun and I love the chunky graphics that feel a bit like they made a game that takes place inside of one of those Windows 95 maze screensavers. Currently working on getting progressively better at fighting the giant termite boss.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the termites you're just meant to kill with the bow. you can get one for free just outside the termite nest

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Thank you! I figured there was one lying around somewhere that I was missing since there's a hint about it on one of the walls.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Fun fact about King's Field 2 - FromSoft took the model for the Moonlight Greatsword from that game and put it in Dark Souls 3 as the sword conjured by the spell "Old Moonlight", with a description quite clearly referencing it's ties to KF2.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Flying Zamboni posted:

Exploring is fun and I love the chunky graphics that feel a bit like they made a game that takes place inside of one of those Windows 95 maze screensavers.

Dungeon Master was the OG Windows 95 Maze Simulator game even before Windows 95 came out

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
deciding i'm probably just going to give up on playing com and watch the cutscenes later. i hate everything about how recom plays and i don't really feel like taking a full 18 hour gba game side trip to get to the game i know i'll like

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

All you had to do in the GBA game was just order and spam 0, 7, 8, and 9 cards. The side campaign proved how lovely the card gimmick was when your entire deck was just the same move to hit the enemy.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
What are some of the worst RPGs folks have played? Like really bad ones and not bad ones compared to the rest of a game series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

D.Fuzzbot posted:

What are some of the worst RPGs folks have played? Like really bad ones and not bad ones compared to the rest of a game series.

I'm going to avoid "$2 steam trash pile or anything from Kemco" because that isn't an interesting conversation.

I would say either Last Rebellion or Time and Eternity. Both are just absolute garbage fires on every level. LR was so bad the company who put it out literally apologized for having to publish it and recommended nobody buy it, and T&E's sole redeeming feature is it has a really good song in it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLd_7AFi1S4

Vision of Mana trailer

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Time and Eternity has got to be up there for me as well. Though in my case it was my wife that suffered through it while I watched mostly.

I think the other thing it had going for it was sort of an interesting look in terms of the 2D animation thing. Of course.. I think there were only like 4 different enemy sprites that were just recolored so even that doesn't last long. The vampire "BLEHHHHblehblehbleh" sound they made when attacking haunts me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

D.Fuzzbot posted:

fox junction is a ps1 mystery dungeon roguelike presented in third person with robot construction and based around a real life game called network fox hunting. it has gorgeous 3d environments and spritework and a really stunning soundtrack by yuzo koshiro. the game also doesn't work on an conceptual level and largely consists of standing around waiting for meters to go down on enemies so you can make other meters go down so you can get the parts to make your robot buddies who will actually make serious combat approachable, while slowly crawling across a massive grid of maps to reach towers so you can get key progression items, which you have to do like five times. it has some heart but unfortunately the heart was not put in the right place and it's not really worth struggling through because the story is sort of bad. it's a game i can recommend, walking around the environments in to see its weird funny details and soak in its ambience, and never once considering actually trying to beat

ancient roman: power of dark side is a ps1 rpg brought to you from the guys who saw final fantasy vii's sales numbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s3KfsDerQQ

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

D.Fuzzbot posted:

A tricky question because there is sort of a floor of "bad" where everything is equally poo poo but in subtly different ways. And then below that is the boring bad with no redeeming qualities at all, nothing interesting, no thoughts or discussions worth having. Not even the dustbin of history, the bottom of the landfill of history.

I think of the ones I've personally played I am going to go with Unlimited SaGa for the PSX. There are definitely worse games on a technical level but that game had so many just absolutely baffling decisions. Every single time they were given a choice on what their design could be they somehow chose the one that was theoretically interesting, if you were insane, but just an ungodly slog in practice.

There are definitely other games that I would say are probably worse without hitting landfill territory, like Lunar: Dragon Song, but I've never directly played those.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t_oEXARAYs

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

they found their footing a lot better in the sequel but I remember the first Shining Soul game on GBA being really bad. just fundamentally janky

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Rogue Galaxy deserves credit for dropping more balls than a juggler with Parkinson's.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some day i'll play DAIBOUKEN: ST ELMO NO KISEKI (THE GREAT ADVENTURE: ST ELMO'S MIRACLE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs6JXCL0mjA

the game where the famous first line of dialog as soon as you begin gameplay is someone saying "this is horrible"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Depends what you dont like about a game but Lunar Dragon Song mechanically swung for the fences on "lets put irritating arbitrary problems into our core game design" so it gets a very special place in my book before we even discuss its story

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
here's my favorite screens from ANCIENT ROMAN: POWER OF DARK SIDE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I kind of unironically love that goofy bartender in the last shot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

note: ancient roman has nothing to do with rome

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the thing i love about the shop cgs is that they're set up like that because they literally didn't know how to layer character models behind background elements. they did not understand that tech. they had to render shopkeepers like that because it was the only way they knew to get them behind barriers. ancient roman will never place a foreground object in a room cg so every single cg in the game has a weird unobstructed wide angle view. they wanted to copy ffvii but they didn't even understand ffvii's use of perspective

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

D.Fuzzbot posted:

I genuinely do not get what anyone got out of Hyperdimension Neptunia as a game. If you want to look at cute anime girls, there's a whole lot of that out there already. Otherwise, the best it ever reached for as a game was, very occasionally, the heady heights of mediocre.

I don't have a lot of experience with truly dire games because I tend to be a latecomer to almost everything and avoid most of the horror stories, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Depends what you dont like about a game but Lunar Dragon Song mechanically swung for the fences on "lets put irritating arbitrary problems into our core game design" so it gets a very special place in my book before we even discuss its story

the only good part of lunar dragon song is when the mc just chucks a sword at the villains right hand man and he gets stabbed in the head by it, and then he casually pulls it out and starts hitting you with it.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Toss up between 7th Saga (SNES) and Vagrant Story (PS1) for me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also for some bizarre reason in ancient roman, in a game that very clearly has issues loading in assets, they gave every party member dedicated voice lines at the shop for calling you cheap if you leave without buying them anything. every time this happens the game pauses for a full second to load these voice lines in

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also like, Im deliberately not including things like 7th Saga US where the patching makes the game occasionally un-winnable for the player in my thoughts.

Kemco in general tends to be perfectly fine slurry. Firmly in the "fine" part of a bad-fine-good scoring system

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Probably Forever Kingdom, the US name for Evergrace 2.

They made you share a healthbar with your companions, and made their AI dumb as poo poo. I remember that I couldn't make it past the 2nd enemy type because they would just run into it and melt my health.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
So far, Ancient Roman sounds like the top tier of bad rpg.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Probably the worst I’ve played in recent memory is Loop8. A game with neat ideas that never got thrown into an oven and cooked. It’s such a bummer because I really just want to play a Cool Gunparade March game in English and unfortunately I think Loop8 is the only thing close?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

ancient roman: power of dark side is a ps1 rpg brought to you from the guys who saw final fantasy vii's sales numbers

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

disposablewords posted:

I genuinely do not get what anyone got out of Hyperdimension Neptunia as a game. If you want to look at cute anime girls, there's a whole lot of that out there already. Otherwise, the best it ever reached for as a game was, very occasionally, the heady heights of mediocre.

I don't have a lot of experience with truly dire games because I tend to be a latecomer to almost everything and avoid most of the horror stories, though.

I, unfortunately, bought all 3 because the premise of the Console War being a literal war fought by anime girl versions of each console sounded hilarious.

I simply cannot enjoy them. I beat like the very first boss, and the combat is incredibly boring, the English VA is awful, the Japanese VA is only slightly better because I can't understand the words, and the plot itself doesn't make any sense yet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the plot of the first game is mostly just about killing a ds flash cart

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that isnt really the plot of the neptunia games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the funniest thing about neptunia as a franchise is nis going from a recurring character to being the one company to get completely unpersoned from the neptunia universe because their relationship with the studio soured that badly

also yeah the console war stuff is mostly initial set dressing the rest of neptunia after that is everyone hanging out and making meta video game jokes