Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the original psp-rear end synths for the sky ost are ftw. let a game have a vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hmmm. I'll buy Trails in the Sky FC and see how I like it modded. My Vita works just fine, so even if I end up preferring that version I'm only out $20.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Annath posted:

Hmmm. I'll buy Trails in the Sky FC and see how I like it modded. My Vita works just fine, so even if I end up preferring that version I'm only out $20.

It’s 10 on GOG right now. I assume that works for steam deck?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the gog releases of the trails games are 1:1 identical with the steam releases down to having a steam.dll that checks if you own the game on steam and uses steam integration if you do

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'd play more Trails on PC after it falling into my backlog way back when, but I'd kinda rather do it in Japanese at this point and it's one of those series that's still total hit or miss between the titles on whether they're actually available in the original language. I'm at least glad PC releases of Japanese games seem way more consistent about including proper multi-language support these days.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Lmao I literally just bought it on Steam. I'm on my phone using the mobile app, so I don't have the browser addon that shows the cheapest current price like I do on my desktop.

Oh well, I'll just tell myself Steam achievements are worth $10.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well after cold steel got the jp language update they were consistent about offering it until reverie lol

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think for Sky FC the only music mods I have are an update to a few battle and dungeon tracks from the super arrange and zanmai albums.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

It’s 10 on GOG right now. I assume that works for steam deck?

You'd have to do some tinkering to play it on the deck since you'd be installing it thru GOG. Pretty simple tinkering, but not as simple as just installing it and hitting play like you would on steam.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

The Colonel posted:

well after cold steel got the jp language update they were consistent about offering it until reverie lol

Yeah for some weird reason for Reverie the Japanese PC rights went to Clouded Leopard Entertainment (the Chinese Falcom distributors) instead of NISA. That's the only game like that, Daybreak is back to NISA again.

Sky's XSEED PC versions do not officially have Japanese support but they have hidden JP modes if you provide the JP text and audio files yourself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

It only really gets expanded on in Another Day but iirc the big reason was that one day he was supposed to hang out with his best friend and said friend was killed on his way over, so he started to shut himself off from people.

Because they put this screen on the second DS screen (I don't know how it works on Switch) I feel like that part isn't relevant to the main story at all, it seems about as relevant to the main story's Neku as any Disgaea DLC for a guest character or someone from another game in the series.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I thought I was doing poorly in Valkyria Chronicle 4, until I remembered Sega took out S ranks in the VC localizations. (Last time I played a VC was over a hundred hours of the fan sub of VC3)

I think VC1 did this too, but the biggest adjustment from VC2 and 3 (both of which I spent much more time with) are reinforcements having a cost and delay. Though the portable VCs were probably more lenient with this because of the fractured maps. It would be a real drag if you had to wait an extra turn to travel, and some missions might be impossible — because the base you took over on one side, would be immediately taken back on the other.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Grandia 2 has good rear end music, and Milennia, Tio and Mareg are very cool.

Also Paul Eiding as a bird.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Endorph posted:

i think luke in abyss worked because while he was grating and annoying you could see parts of him still being a decent guy in there without it being overemphasized. like him freaking out when he actually kills a person instead of just a monster.

and clouds barely a jerk honestly, hes a bit standoffish and tryhard but he never goes out of his way to really antagonize anyone.
Yeah, Luke's thing is that he's a spoiled brat so sheltered he doesn't know what money is at the beginning of the game, aside from that he's not really an rear end in a top hat. In fact, he's kinda less of a jerk than like, half of the party when you meet them.

Also, agreed about Cloud, he's too busy being an edgelord dork to be an rear end in a top hat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have very strong memories of Grandia 2 for a game I only played once, like two decades ago.

I never got around to Grandia Xtreme or 3, but 1 and 2 are good fun and I remember them being really charming. I really love the Grandia battle system--the pseudo-ATB where you can see enemy turns coming and delay or interrupt them is very cool. I'd love to see more games with that kind of combat.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zeboyd love that combat system

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a good combat system, one of my absolute favorites.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Because they put this screen on the second DS screen (I don't know how it works on Switch) I feel like that part isn't relevant to the main story at all, it seems about as relevant to the main story's Neku as any Disgaea DLC for a guest character or someone from another game in the series.

I guess it’s subjective but the postgame tower where Neku mentions it ends up relevant to the main story events despite the Another Day disclaimer, so it’d be kinda weird to have Neku exposit about how he almost went into a spiral of depression/misanthropy but his hero CAT/Hanekoma helped him process his grief properly and turned him into a beyblade protagonist and not also have it be the explanation for what his deal was, imho

Whether or not it’s really what went down, it’s not relevant to the main story, in the same sense that the secret documents aren’t really relevant either and just some neat backstory you didn’t have to read an Ultimania or other outside source for, so I guess it’s semantics.

Harrow posted:

I have very strong memories of Grandia 2 for a game I only played once, like two decades ago.

I never got around to Grandia Xtreme or 3, but 1 and 2 are good fun and I remember them being really charming. I really love the Grandia battle system--the pseudo-ATB where you can see enemy turns coming and delay or interrupt them is very cool. I'd love to see more games with that kind of combat.

3 and Xtreme don’t really have much of the same sense of charm and adventure, but they do put a lot more emphasis on the combat so that part was neat at least.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Played some Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light and wow, thats a bad game. Im gonna highlight the two things that stick out immediately and then probably quit here because its bad in other ways like having a really slow pointless crafting system be a core focus and grind heavy gameplay that feels straight from a chinese grind mmo playbook.

1) You move slow. Environments are huge. I took an unknown to me wrong turn at the beginning of the game while trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing and it spit me out in a long hallway. A hallway that takes 22 seconds to run from one end to the other, while no music plays and the visual info that you can't progress further doesn't load in until very close to the end since its a PSP game. This is not the only area like this, with many zones having the size and emptiness of a dead MMO and all the documentation of a pre-wiki one.

2) You can't directly interact with things. You have to use a different button to auto-target, then press interact. This is for everything; townspeople, doors, shops, etc. This is a dead MMO on the PSP scoped game so if you think this could be to help you cope with teeming environments you are dead wrong.

The best part of this is since you can't interact with things you can't targe, if you enter a small house you have to spin the camera back around to face the door so you can target the door, so you can select the door, so you van exit instead of you know, just walking out the door.

Edit: 3) There is no music in dungeons. There is 1 song for the town and 1 song for battles.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 17, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wish the Valkyria games gave you a little more information about the map before deploying. I’m not asking for much. At least make it clear whether a unit will be within the bounds of a base (which makes a big difference if you need them to retreat).

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been wanting to play Suikoden with Eiyuden coming out soon (tho I probably won't get to it for a while). Has there been any news about the remasters of the first two games or should I just play one of the PS2 ones again?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Harrow posted:

I got mixed feelings on Xtreme. They revamped the systems just a little bit from 2 and it's one of the best versions of gameplay and combat the Grandia series has to offer. Everything else about it is terrible though. It's just a dungeon crawler that has you repeat the same boring dungeons over and over with just an absolute bare bones story. The characters aren't much better either.

But it's a lot of combat and that's what the game is actually good at.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i cannot have anything but love in my heart for grandia xtreme for giving us a bizarre dub that has a bunch of random people who aren't trying and also mark hamill

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
mark hamill revealed himself as a zionist recently so sorry

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
uh huh

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

i've got receipts on this one

https://fxtwitter.com/MarkHamill/status/1711090386482127122

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

me rubbing my temples and tapping my foot on the floor: mmmhmm yep

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
loving store-brand delphisage

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not that nobody believes you. it's that this is the rpg thread and i said mark hamill is a good voice actor, not that i subscribe to mark hamill's direct views and beliefs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I bought some Goodles, which are a kind of boxed Mac and Cheese with more protein, alright for boxed mac and cheese however It turns out that it was created in part by Mrs. Gal Gadot noted zionist. I was shocked to say the least. I'm glad I can finally come forward with this story in the SA RPG thread to hopefully allow my fellow posters to avoid this disastrous mistake.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > RPG Thread: mark hamill revealed himself as a zionist recently so sorry

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
okay fair enough sorry for being a bit aggro, that meme might have come across as a bit self-righteous but I was going for a 'two can play at that game' sort of thing.

I'm on edge due to personal stuff and it's starting to affect my online relationships, I'm sorry for being a butthead recently, I'll try to curb it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's just kind of an odd thing to bring up toward what's a very throwaway joke about a cheap dub inexplicably having one famous actor

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Mr E posted:

I've been wanting to play Suikoden with Eiyuden coming out soon (tho I probably won't get to it for a while). Has there been any news about the remasters of the first two games or should I just play one of the PS2 ones again?

The last news is still "indefinitely delayed".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Still playing Eiyuden in 6 days though or whenever it comes out

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > RPG Thread: mark hamill revealed himself as a zionist recently so sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mycot posted:

It's just kind of an odd thing to bring up toward what's a very throwaway joke about a cheap dub inexplicably having one famous actor

hosed up, the back of the box highlights having three famous actors in the English dub.