Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

I don't remember if it was in the original (probably not) but at the very end of the Destiny remake Dymlos says "Stan, my journey with you has truly been a tale of destiny."
one of the big arcs in tales of the rays (the only tales mobage still going) ends with the protag turning to Every Tales Character and going 'each of you is a ray of light.. thats right... these are the Tales of the Rays...'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like what gets me about how rose is written is not how strange the concept behind her character is, it's that it leads to insane poo poo like you beating up one of her assassins as an early game midboss and then her and the rest of her team of assassins pop in out of thin air and drag him away while saying "WHOOPS SORRY THIS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN WE CALLED OFF THIS HIT CAUSE WE DON'T WANT ALISHA TO DIE AHAHAHA SEE YA LATER" and it is like. it is just presented that way. it is just presented exactly that strangely and does not come up again for the next several hours of play. the experience of playing zestiria is one of seeing a game attempt to both be a lighthearted bright and colorful fantasy adventure but also trying all this weirdly high concept stuff and having no idea how it wants to juggle these ideas so you get the power of friendship being conveyed with everyone telling sorey he doesn't have to bear the burden of uh, stabbing a kind of weird and confused but not outright evil lady in the face because she thought differently enough from the heroes that she turned into a medusa and like it's just sad man but her way of thinking is too different. she thinks too differently so we can't make her into not a medusa. our only choice is to kill her with the power of friendship. the power of friendship is when you let your friends murder people for you so you don't have to do it yourself

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

Somehow I've only actually finished two Tales games: Destiny and Abyss

I played Tales of Destiny back in high school and I remember that towards the end of the game I somehow accidentally deleted my save and I was enjoying the game so much that I just went right ahead and started over on the spot and went through to finish the game that time.

I keep meaning to play Vesperia, I know that one's very well liked
the ps2 remake of destiny got a fan tl if you havent played it, its a good game with a fun combat system. fun time if you ever wanna revisit destiny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

like what gets me about how rose is written is not how strange the concept behind her character is, it's that it leads to insane poo poo like you beating up one of her assassins as an early game midboss and then her and the rest of her team of assassins pop in out of thin air and drag him away while saying "WHOOPS SORRY THIS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN WE CALLED OFF THIS HIT CAUSE WE DON'T WANT ALISHA TO DIE AHAHAHA SEE YA LATER" and it is like. it is just presented that way. it is just presented exactly that strangely and does not come up again for the next several hours of play. the experience of playing zestiria is one of seeing a game attempt to both be a lighthearted bright and colorful fantasy adventure but also trying all this weirdly high concept stuff and having no idea how it wants to juggle these ideas so you get the power of friendship being conveyed with everyone telling sorey he doesn't have to bear the burden of uh, stabbing a kind of weird and confused but not outright evil lady in the face because she thought differently enough from the heroes that she turned into a medusa and like it's just sad man but her way of thinking is too different. she thinks too differently so we can't make her into not a medusa. our only choice is to kill her with the power of friendship
all the stuff with rose would be fine if the game was just a lighthearted goof fest but it is weirdly focused on trying to be this meaningful epic while having nothing at all interesting to say. so the plot just gets bogged down in meaningless stuff

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah. zestiria isn't even bad at being a lighthearted jokey fantasy adventure, the skits are funny, the characters being so strange does lead to funny interactions. it's just that you get this mixed with so much stuff the game has genuinely no idea what it wants to do with tonally and it turns it into an alien's idea of what a jrpg plot is. dungeon meshi is airing right now so i can make reference to dungeon meshi, it's kinda tonally like if dungeon meshi had no idea how weird and hosed up some of the ideas and characters it's presenting are and didn't reflect it in how it delivers it at all

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Zestiria mostly feels like to me when someone comes up with a what-if idea that should have massive repercussions (what if anyone who ever felt sad became a demon) so they get stuck patching more and more holes to make life possible at all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The way you two are describing Zesteria, it sounds like it got executive meddled with to death like with the initial teenage testing audience that didn't respond favorably to Avatar The Last Airbender (Also it was a 250M$ movie so of course) and also Shadow the Hedgehog.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 19, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's mostly just an unfinished game with no direction and nobody keeping an eye on how much resources or time they had. like again its strangeness could be fun if it was deliberate and the game had ideas for how it was trying to use it but instead it's blatantly the result of a very bad dev cycle

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It’s also not fun to play with a really dumb equipment system!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the tales of xillia games just prior to zestiria have their own oddities but they're games that largely own how bizarre they are and mostly suffer from having clear points where the lack of anyone keeping an eye on their budget or schedule led to them not really planning for how to reach the end point of that story. berseria, for its part, was a game with much clearer vision and much better understanding of its own limits that sadly just got saddled with having to still be made on the same godawful engine and to build itself off the same wreck of mechanics zestiria left behind so its weakest areas are largely a result of having to figure out how it could compensate for its predecessors flaws and present a combat system that's mostly understandable and functional

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The thing with the Zesteria anime is I'm not sure if it being pretty okay was due to it having focus or cause they knew the game just didn't work

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

RareAcumen posted:

The way you two are describing Zesteria, it sounds like it got executive meddled with to death like with the initial teenage testing audience that didn't respond favorably to Avatar The Last Airbender (Also it was a 250M$ movie so of course) and also Shadow the Hedgehog.

it was very much just Hideo Baba declaring that there are no bad ideas and then having all the ideas

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he was trying to make skyrim, but a jrpg, and on the budget of a single a jrpg made in two years

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Harrow posted:

I played Tales of Destiny back in high school and I remember that towards the end of the game I somehow accidentally deleted my save and I was enjoying the game so much that I just went right ahead and started over on the spot and went through to finish the game that time.

I think it was winter '99 where I was having a difficult time of things and sought out a new RPG to play for a distraction. I was dirt poor and could only pick one, as well as had to trade in existing games to afford it. I consulted my back issues of PSM for stuff that looked interesting and narrowed it down to Xenogears and Tales of Destiny.

I choose poorly. :( XG was a bit of a mess and ToD would've been the better pick. I did have a used copy eventually but I've still never finished the game to this day (or Phantasia).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

the ps2 remake of destiny got a fan tl if you havent played it, its a good game with a fun combat system. fun time if you ever wanna revisit destiny

Oh sick, I'll check it out. I have a lot of nostalgia for Destiny and its silly talking swords

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

he was trying to make skyrim, but a jrpg, and on the budget of a single a jrpg made in two years

He then transparently tried to do it again with SE and then he left and the studio he was handed shuttered having produced nothing but teaser material

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

and also shortly after namco tightened the purse strings after realizing the series wasn't actually making them any money

at least that's what I recall was the reason why they merged the teams starting with xillia, maybe I've misremembered completely.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

people also claim he was key to the ill-conceived sakura wars mobile game that killed the IP, again, though while it'd be really funny I've never seen any proof of this

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Motto posted:

people also claim he was key to the ill-conceived sakura wars mobile game that killed the IP, again, though while it'd be really funny I've never seen any proof of this

I choose to believe.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Motto posted:

He then transparently tried to do it again with SE and then he left and the studio he was handed shuttered having produced nothing but teaser material

Funny thing is SE seems way more open to let someone work on games like that as long as they have a reasonable scale and whelp

Japanese dev's chasing western games sure did leave a lot ruined careers in it's wake huh

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Colonel posted:

tales of zestiria was built to have a route split with two options for the heroine. one of those routes got cut so alisha says early on that she's going to go deal with political stuff and then five minutes later a guy walks up to you and is like "if you don't fight a war for us we're going to kill alisha" and then you don't see her again for the next 30 hours

Was this ever confirmed? I know there's a lot of evidence that this (or something similar) is the case but I am unsure if this is confirmed anywhere.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I didn’t know Baba was involved in the DS Blue Dragon.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

The Colonel posted:

my favorite thing about the game's treatment of rose is how it really literally is just like. oh yeah i'm an assassin i kill people for money. but only bad people. *goes into wacky comedy routine about her fear of ghosts for the next five minutes*

it's one thing to have an rpg party where the characters are cool with mildly weird and hosed up stuff about each other because that's just the kind of people they are, it is, absolutely hilarious how much zestiria tries to run with the idea of The Pure Hearted Assassin Who Can't Be Effected By The Dark Energy Cause She Really Is Just That Pure and takes it entirely in earnest and never questions it one bit because the entire deal with the party is that they have to be the purehearted young adventurers of love and justice in a world where bad thoughts turn you into a werewolf. zestiria is a fascinating game for how much about its weird rear end premise it stumbles over at every opportunity because it is not equipped to examine just how strange it is

I like the ghost thing, since the reason why she's afraid of ghosts thing makes sense

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the problem is not rose having a fear of ghosts. it's that tales of zestiria has absolutely no idea how to resolve "is hired killer who murders people for money" with "is funny girl who gets into wacky comedy hijinx". like there are characters that deliberately evoke this across fiction but tales of zestiira genuinely doesn't seem to understand that this is an actually very strange combination of traits for rose and instead it spends every moment where her being an assassin comes up coming up with excuses for why her being a hired assassin is okay actually and really does expect the player to just hear these explanations and decide it's normal. tales of zestiria is not a game that understands when it is being really weird, as opposed to the prior history of tales games that obviously understand when they're being weird because they're constantly joking about it and playing it into the writing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if i'm reading it correctly, the development update for Troubleshooter 2 says that they haven't started development on it yet and it won't be ready for Early Access launch until late 2026. they also posted some concept art of various characters

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The 7th Guest posted:

if i'm reading it correctly, the development update for Troubleshooter 2 says that they haven't started development on it yet and it won't be ready for Early Access launch until late 2026. they also posted some concept art of various characters

Please forgive them, they are very unskilled you see.

Edit: I should probably clarify that the devs always write stuff like this in their updates:

quote:

Due to our lack of skill, the development process will take a long time, but we won’t stop doing our best to communicate with all our fans at all costs.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 19, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Pre-empting the skill issue diss.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

'We're bad but we're trying' is not really endearing me to your game, developers.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Speaking of skill issues, I've been playing Reverse Collapse Codename Bakery (what a ridiculous mouthful of a title) and man. Man. This game is kicking my rear end. I did not expect a gacha spinoff SRPG to be this freaking hard. I'm liking it anyways, it's VERY tightly designed, but geez. I just did a stage that really made think it was a forced loss scenario but nope, they just expect you to deal with an attack that guaranteed one shots someone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SettingSun posted:

'We're bad but we're trying' is not really endearing me to your game, developers.

Considering how the first game was incredibly ambitious and a bit clunky but otherwise had its heart in the right places?

That statement actually does come off as a little endearing, especially considering its accuracy, despite that sort of self deprecation reading poorly from a professional standpoint

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SettingSun posted:

your heart is narrow minded

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Troubleshooter devs are trying their best and I support them

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Infinity Gaia posted:

Speaking of skill issues, I've been playing Reverse Collapse Codename Bakery (what a ridiculous mouthful of a title) and man. Man. This game is kicking my rear end. I did not expect a gacha spinoff SRPG to be this freaking hard. I'm liking it anyways, it's VERY tightly designed, but geez. I just did a stage that really made think it was a forced loss scenario but nope, they just expect you to deal with an attack that guaranteed one shots someone.

They give you a ton of items and skills and really expect you to use them, I feel.

Judicious use of turrets has really helped me a lot. They can take hits for you and do a nice chunk of damage, and are cheap to deploy. The medium turret that costs 3 AP to deploy is super good because it shoots twice per turn. Plus if any of your turrets go down during a battle, Mendo's ult will revive them all, allowing you to redeploy them in someone's face.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jealous of the people that get to play Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes right now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I now look much more fondly on hacking minigames, even the crap ones like Prey and Fallout, having spent time in the System Shock remake. The wire puzzles are fine, but the cyberspace levels are incredibly faithful to the original game in that they are terrible. I can't even change the difficulty six hours in.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tarezax posted:

They give you a ton of items and skills and really expect you to use them, I feel.

Judicious use of turrets has really helped me a lot. They can take hits for you and do a nice chunk of damage, and are cheap to deploy. The medium turret that costs 3 AP to deploy is super good because it shoots twice per turn. Plus if any of your turrets go down during a battle, Mendo's ult will revive them all, allowing you to redeploy them in someone's face.

Yeah, I don't have that turret yet but I already know the power of turrets in general. It's kinda neat to play an SRPG so completely designed around its consumables, it kinda forces you into the mindset of using literally every tool available immediately. Really sells the scrappy small action team vibes when you HAVE to be tossing down grenades all the time to survive.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the cyberspace levels are kind of mediocre but they're pretty easy as far as 6dof shooters go. maybe the big update made them harder idk

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the music for them is pretty good though

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's an RPS article listing their worst hacking minigames. I've beaten them all, and I stand by Mass Effect's frogger being fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Jealous of the people that get to play Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes right now.

I would be playing right now, but the performance on the Switch version is unfortunately pretty bad. :( Bad slowdown during the opening camera fly-thru, not great performance running around in maps, and pretty bad loading going through the different tabs in the menu. I've got the PC version pre-ordered, so I'll just wait for that to release.