Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I now look much more fondly on hacking minigames, even the crap ones like Prey and Fallout, having spent time in the System Shock remake. The wire puzzles are fine, but the cyberspace levels are incredibly faithful to the original game in that they are terrible. I can't even change the difficulty six hours in.

I had all difficulties on 2 except for cyberspace 1 and didn’t regret it, it’s just not interesting and if cyberspace difficulty 1 removed those sections completely it would probably be an improvement

I probably could have turned some other difficulties up to 3, my save had around 22 hours on it by the end so I was just shy of that 10 hour time limit on mission difficulty 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Vargatron posted:

Lol I got a pickpocketing perk in KCD which basically lets me get caught once (if people like me enough). Got my hand in their pocket and they're like "oh Hal, you kidder!"

clearly i hosed up giving up on the game early

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
The best cyberspace gameplay I've ever experienced was the Sega Genesis version of Shadowrun. It even has T-posing to assert dominance

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Professor Moriarty posted:

The best cyberspace gameplay I've ever experienced was the Sega Genesis version of Shadowrun. It even has T-posing to assert dominance

No lie, when I think of cyberspace hacking games, this is the first one that comes to mind.

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, I don't have that turret yet but I already know the power of turrets in general. It's kinda neat to play an SRPG so completely designed around its consumables, it kinda forces you into the mindset of using literally every tool available immediately. Really sells the scrappy small action team vibes when you HAVE to be tossing down grenades all the time to survive.

+1 to playing the bakery game. It's amazing how there's so many levels where it feels like you're ridiculously outnumbered and outgunned and yet you still make it through with clever tactics and judicious use of items. Story's surprisingly good too.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nevermind.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 20, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Will hold off on Eiyuden until players have gotten platinum. Never did get into Suikoden since it wasn't available on any current platform. I had to refund the gaiden game as it was dire. Just an uplifted flash game where you run through the same five dungeons endlessly. Had they at least gotten the basic combat right, like Ys, I would have stuck with it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Will hold off on Eiyuden until players have gotten platinum. Never did get into Suikoden since it wasn't available on any current platform. I had to refund the gaiden game as it was dire. Just an uplifted flash game where you run through the same five dungeons endlessly. Had they at least gotten the basic combat right, like Ys, I would have stuck with it.

are you capable of anything other than the dumbest posts i've read

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

It's probably not a great idea for you to post in this thread.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know what I enjoy? RPGs. I like RPGs a lot. I find pretty much every genre fun. I am very glad we are in a period of massive RPG growth of all types.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ImpAtom posted:

You know what I enjoy? RPGs. I like RPGs a lot. I find pretty much every genre fun. I am very glad we are in a period of massive RPG growth of all types.

They're good!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hate RPGs

april fools

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Jealous of the people that get to play Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes right now.
If you're interested in the Switch (US eShop) version I'm selling a backer key in SA Mart.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm gonna hold off on eiyuden but only because I don't have the brain space for a long rpg right now and I want to be in the right state of mind for it.

while I wait, Mystia's Izakaya still exists

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

and also shortly after namco tightened the purse strings after realizing the series wasn't actually making them any money

at least that's what I recall was the reason why they merged the teams starting with xillia, maybe I've misremembered completely.
idk where you got this impression because tales was one of bamco's best selling franchises and also moved a shitton of merch.

in fact they combined the teams for the exact opposite reason. tales was so big at the time that they wanted entries out quickly but development costs/time had ballooned so much that it was hard for the teams to get out finished products. both vesperia and graces's initial releases were hosed in one way or the other. (vesperia missing a chunk of content, graces being a buggy mess). the teams were combined so that they could get an entry out regularly.

the issue isnt that the games were doing poorly, its that zestiria was insanely overambitious to the point it basically killed the franchise, and its negative reception impacted berseria's sales.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of vesperia sold more copies than soul calibur iv and that had yoda in it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
idgi, that rising was pretty bad and if you're not already sold on "its a new suidoken" it didnt really give a lot of confidence. i dunno if i'll wait for people to platinum it but i'm certainly looking forward to the reviews

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked rising personally. but basically saying 'ill wait on eiyuden, i didnt like rising that much' = normal post. 'rising is just a flash game' = dumb post. these are the secret techniques you grasp after 100 years of posting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As far as I am, Eiyuden feels like it fell from through a time portal from sometime after Suikoden 2 came out. If you don't like Suikoden I doubt you'll like it but I am happy with it (again, as far as I am, which is relatively early.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
calling something a flash game should be a compliment. sometimes i will play a new video game and i'll be like, drat, this looks like an old flash game (positive)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you're interested in the Switch (US eShop) version I'm selling a backer key in SA Mart.

Nah, i'll wait patiently. I was reading too that the Switch version performance is really bad. :(

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Endorph posted:

i liked rising personally. but basically saying 'ill wait on eiyuden, i didnt like rising that much' = normal post. 'rising is just a flash game' = dumb post. these are the secret techniques you grasp after 100 years of posting.

this is only a bad comparison because i've absolutely played better flash games. i mean N is one of the greatest games of all time and that's a flash game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*unsheathing katana* forgive me, master... just one more time... i must go all out

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Hell, one of the most common early reports is that the Switch port has some issues, especially with frequency of significant load times. I dunno, 'Wait and see' seems like a fair stance on any product in this modern age, forget one where the party didn't like the first game put out and doesn't really have a personal fondness for the main inspiration.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There is still blood in the water from the death of Junpei. These are dangerous times in the RPG thread...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

idk where you got this impression because tales was one of bamco's best selling franchises and also moved a shitton of merch.

my brain is broken because a ton of my early knowledge of the industry was poisoned by magazine coverage and I no longer know when exactly that cuts off, so I still have a ton of just... wrong information because magazine coverage was just a bunch of crappy marketing. that's mainly why I coached the question that way, I've been wrong about that before. I remember distinctly reading something saying that Tales of Legendia was made by "the soul calibur team" when it was coming out and then started to question that when Colonel said something about it being made by Tekken people like a year ago, and then actually looking it up and realizing it was just... a bunch of people at namco that just weren't doing anything at the time and had more people from freakin' Ace Combat that either of those fighting games.

There's also stuff like being really excited about the creators of the games I was playing, but not having the ability to just look anything up since I didn't have regular access to the Internet until 2004 or 2005. so there's still weird things like, Breath of Fire 3 being one of my favorite soundtracks on the PS1 but not actually knowing who composed it until Akari Kaida was announced to be part of that Armed Fantasia kickstarter and realizing I just never actually looked it up. Just weird gaps in knowledge like that.

I never doubted the Tales merch. Maybe I read something a long time ago about some of the PSP ports not doing so well or something and just conflated it in my mind. idk.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of legendia itself didnt do that well so that might have been where you picked up that thought. i think the DS tales games didnt do that well either due to how bad a first impression tempest gave. but the main team destiny/team symphonia games all performed pretty well

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francesca in Eyuden is the spirit animal of MMO healers.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
most of legendia's team weren't even namco people. tales of legendia has more dna in common with eternal poison than it does with tekken or soulcalibur.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also i dont think eiyuden rising was going to give much of an impression gameplay-wise of the main game, that wasn't the point. it's a basic rpg spinoff because it was built to be a basic action rpg spinoff. it is a game that costs 15 dollars. as far as what rising did showcase, the world and characters, it was good. it gave a good impression. the writing in eiyuden rising is funny and presents a solid short story arc.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

also i dont think eiyuden rising was going to give much of an impression gameplay-wise of the main game, that wasn't the point. it's a basic rpg spinoff because it was built to be a basic action rpg spinoff. it is a game that costs 15 dollars. as far as what rising did showcase, the world and characters, it was good. it gave a good impression. the writing in eiyuden rising is funny and presents a solid short story arc.

Pretty much this, it had fun and cute writing, and good designs. I'm probably going to start Eiyuden this weekend, since I was a backer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Colonel posted:

it's one thing to have an rpg party where the characters are cool with mildly weird and hosed up stuff about each other because that's just the kind of people they are, it is, absolutely hilarious how much zestiria tries to run with the idea of The Pure Hearted Assassin Who Can't Be Effected By The Dark Energy Cause She Really Is Just That Pure and takes it entirely in earnest and never questions it one bit because the entire deal with the party is that they have to be the purehearted young adventurers of love and justice in a world where bad thoughts turn you into a werewolf. zestiria is a fascinating game for how much about its weird rear end premise it stumbles over at every opportunity because it is not equipped to examine just how strange it is

I guess I mostly missed the boat on this whole discussion, but I am finding myself wondering how much of my love of Berseria came from it just aggressively being not-Zesteria.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Is there actually 100 heroes in Eiyuden?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Mr. Locke posted:

Hell, one of the most common early reports is that the Switch port has some issues, especially with frequency of significant load times. I dunno, 'Wait and see' seems like a fair stance on any product in this modern age, forget one where the party didn't like the first game put out and doesn't really have a personal fondness for the main inspiration.

I'm still waiting and seeing for the devs to make Bloodstained playable on the Switch.

I backed the drat thing back when they were offering a Vita version (I have broken brains) and when that version got cancelled, I swapped it to the Switch version.

I ended up just buying a Steam version, and luckily was still able to link it to my backer code for the promo stuff or whatever.

Also for some reason they mailed me 2 complete physical copies of the Bloodstained Kickstarter collectors edition thing lmao.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
nah, just 5

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GateOfD posted:

If you go to a Eiyuden hosted kiosk at family marts across tokyo you can unlock the 101 hero, Mew

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GateOfD posted:

Yep! The Suikoden series had 108.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I don't think you have to gear them at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Make a Eiyuden Vs Legend of Heroes (Eiyu densetsu) crossover